Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: AOL? Why thousands are leaving AOL.

Before I had DSL I had AOL. Now I know a lot of people like AOL, but when I was with them, it was the worst time of my life. I had soooo many problems with them. And to top it all off, they were double charging my account for 3 months and I was never able to recover the money. My bank tried several times but AOL had some kind of story that they stuck to. I would never recommend them or ever even think about using them again. Just my 2 cents though.

Hi Ruby,

You are correct! A cable connection is broadband. It doesn't get much faster than that. So, good for you in taking that step into the future. Dial-up is a single band of information and speed, hense the extremely slow speed. As far as protecting yourself, pretty much all internet services these days have protection against viruses, spam, identity, etc. However, if a hacker really wants to get into your computer, they will, and there isn't much that your internet service can do about it. There are all kinds of free protection software that you can download at download.com. I hopw this helps you. Have a good day!

Another good reason to read the forums! I currently have AOL (came free with the Dell). However, the six months are up and I am going with DSL. AOL is slower than Earthlink. I will follow earlier advice and get a Yahoo account as well. Thanks for the information.

Thumbs up

First off... The person saying that AOL in not an ISP is very wrong!!! AOL just happens to be the BIGGEST internet service provider in the world. Now, George was right when he said that AOL is an Internet Access Service because of their newly added broadband service which simply means that people with high speed internet access can go through AOL. I've been using AOL for 13 years and the only thing they lack is speed. When I originally signed up for IPIU I had no troubles at all with anything. To each his own when it comes to ISP's.

I have tried AOL service but was not a satisfied customer. In my area I use Cox High-speed Internet service. It works great for me, becasue I do not have to worry about dial-up and trying to get on the net.

I too have had several bad experiences with AOL. I was double billed and when I tried to recover my money. I dont recommend AOL at all.

Michael Harris is offline Lifetime Professional Management Member

Distinguished Insignio Colleague of:
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)
    Quote Originally Posted by Katrina Burton Todd
    ... In my area ...
    Katrina,

This is the key - In my area,...

I have used several ISPs for my laptop (I traveled on business) and some work well in one part of the country and poorly in others. It depends on where you live. It is unfair to the major ISPs to bad mounth them based on one case.

I use cable at my home office - the same cable company who supplies my TV cable service. I use one of the new ISPs for my laptop. The one I use now works everywhere I have been - at least, in the last year.

I had AOL for six years and got my screen names hacked into twice. The first time was in early 98, the second time was last month after I updated to the Security Version.

I have since been searching for an ISP that I like. I did take IPIU's advice and acquired a Yahoo ID. That I do like.

Cheryl

Michael Harris is offline Lifetime Professional Management Member

Distinguished Insignio Colleague of:
    Cheryl,

Our names were hijacked three or four times. When that happened, AOL shut us down. I had to reestablish all the family passwords. It was a pain.

I have never talked to anyone other than an AOL user who had an email account name hijacked.

I am sure that they have fixed most of the problems. If I were a hacker, I would pick on AOL because they have so many members - ripe pickings.
    Michael E. Harris

Badge #6718

WOUld highly reccomend staying away form DSL if you have to download soft ware to use it. Local DSL really messed up my computer

Chris Towns is offline ***
    Private Investigator Forum Member

Member of International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)
    I still have AOL.It has worked fine for me in most cases.I do also have Yahoo,which also works fine.

Nothing bad to say about AOL

I have had a pretty good experience with them so far. I have had AOL for just over 3 years. While there are features that I do not like, for the most part I've been quite happy with what it offers me. We use DSL with SBC as our ISP. I have heard plenty of bad stuff about them though. Most of it old now. Just haven't had that experience myself.

It seems like such a hassle to switch.

Lori

Quote Originally Posted by Lori Stime
    I have had a pretty good experience with them so far. I have had AOL for just over 3 years. While there are features that I do not like, for the most part I've been quite happy with what it offers me. We use DSL with SBC as our ISP. I have heard plenty of bad stuff about them though. Most of it old now. Just haven't had that experience myself.

It seems like such a hassle to switch.

Lori
    Lori, why pay for AOL when you have SBC DSL? You get email with your SBC DSL account. I had a VERY heated argument with an AOL rep who refused to just cancel my account like I asked, but instead he insisted that I HAD to have something besides my DSL account.

He said that I was obviously computer illiterate, and had no clue about how to use the internet, saying that SBC was just my ISP, and that I wouldn't be able to access anything if I cancelled.

I asked him how he supposed that I ran a very high traffic internet business of my own that hit the top 5,000 in Alexa ratings, and also managed dozens and dozens of memberships in other programs WITHOUT using AOL if I HAD to have it in addition to SBC DSL. They will tell you anything to keep you from cancelling your account. And it is VERY hard to report them. It probably wouldn't do any good anyway, because this is just the way AOL operates.

Every one of their reps I talked to was like this, although not quite as abusive as this particular one. I finally got the account cancelled after repeatedly telling one rep over and over..."cancel the account now", and even this conversation went on for more than 30 minutes before she gave up!

The reps are paid bonuses for every person they talk to that does not cancel, so when you call to cancel, the person that has the most time to stay on the phone wins! I spent close to an hour most times when I tried to cancel...they outlasted me.

It took me over a year, and numerous conversations, to get rid of them. I would never have AOL again even if they paid ME to use it!!

Runs from AOL in horror.

I was the Head Computer Lab Assistant for a College here in Ohio. What I learned about AOL is that the software causes corruption in your computers registry files.

(Short Definition-Registry files tell your computer what to do and when to do it.)

Most software will have to 'talk' to your registry files in order to work. This is OK. However, AOL will reMove and reWrite some of these files so that it can function at an optimum level.

AOL doesn't give a hang if your other software programs need the removed or rewritten files. Eventually, your computer will crash.

Don't install AOL on your computer. (Avoid Compuserve, and Prodigy in all incarnations)

Use the disks as drink coasters, create some wall art, or use them as frisbees. Just don't install them.

When I got my computer in the late ninties. I had dial up and then switched to dsl and that was a whole lot better. I am now on cable and i haven't had no trouble with the cable. I hope everyone have a great day.

Joyce Jameson - is offline Distinguished Member of:
    Private Investigators Forums

Member of International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)
    I totally agree, I had AOL and had nothing but crash after crash, finally I wised up and got cable but when I called AOL to cancel my acct he was outright livid about it! When I refused to back down he said he was going to charge my card anyway, that was totally illegal but he did it before I made it to the bank, I had to cancel my card and get a new one issued, and they have an extra $29.00 of mine that they have no right to, my brother said he'd never heard of such a thing because AOL is terrific, well last month my brother canceled because he was moving, he ended up going through the exact same thing!
    I cringe when I see AOL CDs in stores now, there's NO WAY I'd EVER go back to AOL!

Thumbs down Aol

I'mSAorry to hear about everyones problems with AOL, I wish I had met you guys years ago, when friends of mine told me how bad it was going to get with those guys.

Re: AOL? Why thousands are leaving AOL.

I dont believe DSL is faster than Cable. I guess nobody has the cable internet in my neighborhood.
    Shawn Fair

Antonios Simoglou-- is offline * Certified (E)
    Licensed Private Investigator

2009 - 2010 Professional Management Member of:

Re: AOL? Why thousands are leaving AOL.

I remember having AOL in 1995. Before that we use to dial up local b.b.s line/chats and share/download information along with chatting.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4