Thread: PI work help other careers?

PI work help other careers?

Does having experience as a PI, and/or having a PI license, apply to the business world and/or any other careers?

Scott

I'm pretty sure it does. My background is in Computers and Human Resources, I know that I use it to do background check and employment verification on potential candidates. As for computers, I supported end user on many levels ranging from file access to system backup. This is why I want to get into PI work. Its only goning to enhance the skills that you or I already have.

Good luck to you,

Scott,

I can say that I recently got my first paycheck in 26 months thanks to being a member of IPIU. When I put in the application, I mentioned that I am currently training as a PI but I needed more hours. I also mentioned that I was a member of IPIU.

I had a preliminary interview with the manager that I felt pretty good about, but given the way things had been going lately, I figured it wouldn't amount to anything.

A few days after the first interview, I got an update call from the manager. She said flat out that she wanted me and had told the District Manager so, but the DM wanted wanted someone with more experience. She had picked two other people for the second interview, which didn't surprise me.

What did surprise me was the call that I received a few days later. Debi called back and said that they wanted me in for a second interview within 30 minutes. When I got there, the District Manager said that the girl they had hired had failed to show for her first day of work. When they tracked her down, she had taken a job with a competitor and had failed to notify them that she was no longer available. UH OH! Debi really insisted that she wanted me at that point and the DM gave in. I had 30 minutes to get down there for a second followup interview.

When I finally made it, the DM stated that she had noticed that I was a member of IPIU. She said that to be a PI you have to have great attention to details, which went along with the results of the computerized personality test they had run on me earlier. It also stated that I was very attentive to details. When I mentioned that I was also training for a Moderator position on the forums, that clinched it. I was offered the job on the spot.

So YES!, stating that you are training as a PI and/or that you are a member of IPIU can help with getting other work. There are traits necessary in investigative work that people in other occupations are looking for. They may think that you have what they are looking for, but when they know that you have been accepted as a member for training it underscores their hunch. Also, the fact that you have already underwent a thorough background check, fingerprinting, etc. helps as well. They know that you are an upstanding citizen and not a psycho who is wanted by the FBI for murder in another state.

So if I were putting in apps I would most certainly put down that I am currently training as a PI, and that I am a member of IPIU. It may mean nothing to them, but if they are on their toes and take the time to actually read the app, it could well be the edge that makes the difference between being hired or not. And in today's society, you need every edge you can get to stay on top.

Good luck in the search!
    Kathy S. Rogers

Every little bit helps.

There is no such thing as useless knowledge. Employers are impessed by people who have had unusual jobs or interests. If for no other reason than that you stand out from all the other applicants. One of the reasons I was hired at the job have now is because a manager thought my being an EMT was interesting, even though working in a book store has very little in common.

Ray,

I believe that to be true also.

Whenever the person in charge of hiring, sees that I'm an stna (state tested nursing assistant) and that I worked in a nursing home. They always start asking me questions about that.

The last job I got the guy was more interested in hearing about that than he was conducting the interview. Needless to say I got the job.

Take care and have a good day!
    BECKY BROWN
    Badge # 5534

Thank you for your posts. I would never have thought about putting down that I am PI in training. Thanks for the heads up.

Scott,

Just wanted to point out the skills necessary to be a good investigator are all skills admired and promoted within the corporate world

attention to detail, conscienscous, creative, computer savvy, ability to negotiate, work as a team-player, inquisitive, determined, etc, etc, etc,

As our peers have pointed out, no skills are wasted