Thread: Would a background check keep you from getting a private investigators license?

Darin Biddle is offline *** Certified SPI

Former Moderator:
    Distinguished Member
    Private Investigators Forums

Question Would a background check keep you from getting a private investigators license?

If someone has been convicted of DWI in the last ten years. Would this inhibit them from obtaining a license in?
    Last edited by Darin Biddle; 08-13-2001 at 02:25 AM.
    What you don't know can, and usually does hurt you!
    ~ Darin Biddle ~

Darin Biddle is offline *** Certified SPI

Former Moderator:
    Distinguished Member
    Private Investigators Forums
    I know this would affect a concealed weapons permit, but how about a license to practice?
    Last edited by Darin Biddle; 08-13-2001 at 02:27 AM.

David Copeland is offline Administrator
    Private Investigators Forum

Sponsored by:
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)
    Most state boards would not preclude you from receiving your private investigators license if there has been enough time since the last offense. And a DUI is usually a traffic citation, or perhaps a misdemeanor, which is not a felony.

20% of all private investigators have felony records, yet still manage to do their job. G. Gordon Liddy, the infamous Watergate felon who was convicted under President Nixon's watch, received a federal conviction, served years in a federal prison, yet was released and went about to get his state private investigators license. He later opened a school for private investigators, before moving on to becoming a national radio talk-show host.

Most states will allow a felon to get their license if they have shown a change in their morals and lifestyle.

In the meantime, if you're just starting our and need a few years of experience under your belt before applying for a license, IPIU can certify your earned hours for your future application to the state. That will help greatly.

And... welcome to the forums. We're glad you're here and hope you continue posting.

David

Oklahoma requires a minimum of five year period pass, a clean record since the conviction, and the proper repentant attitude before the review board.

If these criteria are met, you may be allowed an obtain a license, unarmed of course.

It's great news to know that approximately 20% of PIs have at one time or another been convicted of a felony. While this doesn't help me sleep better at night, it does make me feel better knowing that you don't have to have led a perfect life in order to enter the world of investigation.

Thumbs up

Mark Dehe,

We don't live in a perfect world. We have all made mistakes, it is learning from those mistakes and not repeating them again. That is the important thing.

Elizabeth Gehl

A second chance

Sometimes people make stupid decisions for whatever reasons.. mostly when their young and nieve. It's good to know you're not judged solely on your mistakes. Being a CJ major has taught me to take a 2nd glance at people who have committed crimes and to see things for what they are. Your past should not make or break your future.

Amity

James M Brown - is offline Certified
    Private Investigator Forum Member

Professional Management Member of:

Re: Would a background check keep you from getting a license?

OH WOW!!! You have no idea how much this information means to me! I have a domestic violence charge on my record that is over 5 years old and I know in Wyoming you can petition for an expungement, however this requires an attorney which at this time I cannot afford. I feel so much better knowing this information. I am now not timid about applying for my city license and will go for it. I may or may not get the license but I sure will try now.

Quote Originally Posted by James M Brown View Post
    OH WOW!!! You have no idea how much this information means to me! I have a domestic violence charge on my record that is over 5 years old and I know in Wyoming you can petition for an expungement, however this requires an attorney which at this time I cannot afford. I feel so much better knowing this information. I am now not timid about applying for my city license and will go for it. I may or may not get the license but I sure will try now.
    Character references and what you have accomplished in the last 5 years can help too. If you get denied the first time, then ask them what the appeal process is for a waiver.
    Legal Affairs comments are not intended to be and should absolutely not be taken as legal advice. If you should require legal, tax, or financial advice, you must first enter into a written agreement with only a licensed professional for legal, tax, or financial services, signed by both you and the licensed professional, and paid a retainer in good funds. Legal Affairs is not, nor intends to be, nor solicits to be your licensed professional. Members accessing comments by Legal Affairs are required to be bound by their Terms of Use Agreement regarding Legal Affairs.

I heard if someone is charged a felony and acquitted it still shows up in a background check..... is this true?

Kevin A Moore is offline *
    Licensed Private Investigator
    Private Investigator Forum Member

Member of:

My understanding, at least in Kansas is that the felony must be expunged.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin A Moore View Post
    My understanding, at least in Kansas is that the felony must be expunged.
    Not necessarily. For the licensing board to deny a license to a felon, there has to be an appeal process to show the board what has transpired over the last several years since the felony was charged. There are also different classes of felonies, some not as serious as others. The class type and the date and what the felon has done with their conduct can have the basis of an appeal.

As an example, G Gordon Liddy was convicted and sent to federal prison when he was involved with President Nixon's Watergate crime. He was granted a PI License through the appeal process.

On the other hand, if Ted Bundy had applied for a PI License within two years of his first sexual assault conviction, he would have been denied.

If anyone is unsure, IPIU offers an upgraded lifetime membership program to become licensed using a licensed sponsor. Our success rate has been 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by David Fontana View Post
    I heard if someone is charged a felony and acquitted it still shows up in a background check..... is this true?
    Yes and no. Some records no longer exist because of a variety of reasons. Other records are only available to authorized law enforcement agencies. Many records are available by visiting the county courthouses in person. Some records are available online.

The best way for someone who has been acquitted on a crime is to conduct a complete background check on themselves. IPIU Members can also obtain free advice on how to request their FBI Record, in addition to county and state-by-state.

How do you check someone's background if you are interested in hiring a person? Does IPIU tell me how to find records in county and states?

Quote Originally Posted by David Fontana View Post
    How do you check someone's background if you are interested in hiring a person? Does IPIU tell me how to find records in county and states?
    Yes. Read my message to you in the following link:
    http://www.ipiu.org/forums/showthrea...839#post495839

Thanks for the link, this will be very helpful