Thread: 7 states that do not have State PI licensing!

Talking 7 states that do not have State PI licensing!

1) What are the 7 states that do NOT have any "state" PI licensing requirements for private investigators?

2) What happens if I'm living in Florida and I want to relocate in California... I need a new license?

Thanks

David Copeland is offline Administrator
    Private Investigators Forum

Sponsored by:
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)
    UPDATE:

NO "STATE" PI LICENSING REQUIReMENTS:

1) COLORADO

2) MISSISSIPPI

3) SOUTH DAKOTA

The following states have NO STATE PI LICENSING, but some cities have their own licensing with minimal requirements:

4) IDAHO (Boise has city licensing only)

5) ALASKA

6) WYOMING (Click Here for some cities that have city licensing, although no state licensing)

7) ALABAMA (only requires a state "business license" with no PI experience needed)

---------------

Also, there are several other states that may have licensing requirements, but they so not have any "experience requirement" (which means all you do is pay your fees).

David Copeland is offline Administrator

Sponsored by:
    Originally posted by Jorge Lange
    What happen if I'm living in Florida and I want to relocate in California... I need a new license?
    Thanks
    Answer: No. The PI Agency you will be working for in California just puts you on their payroll.

Danielle Bosley is offline Lifetime Professional Management Member

Corporate Agency Member of:

Re: 7 states that do not have State PI licensing!

I believe Alaska and Alabama now have licensing requirements. May want to update this thread and it's title FYI
    http://www.labor.state.ak.us/research/dlo/fprvdet.htm
    Couldn't find a link off hand for Alabama, but I've noticed it's been removed from most lists online you can find stating which states you do not need a license in. The other five remain.

Quote Originally Posted by Danielle Bosley View Post
    I believe Alaska and Alabama now have licensing requirements. May want to update this thread and it's title FYI
    http://www.labor.state.ak.us/research/dlo/fprvdet.htm
    Couldn't find a link off hand for Alabama, but I've noticed it's been removed from most lists online you can find stating which states you do not need a license in. The other five remain.
    Alaska only has city licensing in a few cities, but no State Licensing (see link you provided)

Alabama has no PI Licensing Board, and only suggests that agencies apply for a Private Detective County Business License, which does not require any prior experience.
    Legal Affairs comments are not intended to be and should absolutely not be taken as legal advice. If you should require legal, tax, or financial advice, you must first enter into a written agreement with only a licensed professional for legal, tax, or financial services, signed by both you and the licensed professional, and paid a retainer in good funds. Legal Affairs is not, nor intends to be, nor solicits to be your licensed professional. Members accessing comments by Legal Affairs are required to be bound by their Terms of Use Agreement regarding Legal Affairs.

Phillip Flores - is offline Lifetime Professional Management Member

Corporate Agency Member of:

I'm going to move to West Palm Beach FL. Do I need a pi license there. or just my photo credentials?

Petra Post - is offline Retired Administrator
    ***** Certified SPI

Former Insignio Distinguished Member:

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Flores View Post
    I'm going to move to West Palm Beach FL. Do I need a pi license there. or just my photo credentials?
    Philip,

Florida is a licensing state. If you want to have your own ageny, yes, you will need to get licensed through the state. If you will work for another PI agency, they can run you under there agency license. Check the licensing laws that we have posted. Just look for Florida...

Also, again, there are unregulated cases that you can work without a PI license... also check the licensing for Florida on that.