Thread: PI LICENSING: Wyoming

PI LICENSING: Wyoming

There is No State Licensing Requirement.

However, the City of Cheyenne, Wyoming offers a $15 Private Detective License. The free PDF application is here:

For Agencies, Click Here

For Employees, Click Here

As of this date, there is no experience requirement to obtain a PI License.

NEED HELP? Then first register for a free guest account here:

www.ipiu.org/forums/register.php?action=signup

The above free online password application includes the use of your drivers license to verify you are an adult. If you have questions, please email us at the following link:

www.ipiu.org/forums/sendmessage.php
    Legal Affairs comments are not intended to be and should absolutely not be taken as legal advice. If you should require legal, tax, or financial advice, you must first enter into a written agreement with only a licensed professional for legal, tax, or financial services, signed by both you and the licensed professional, and paid a retainer in good funds. Legal Affairs is not, nor intends to be, nor solicits to be your licensed professional. Members accessing comments by Legal Affairs are required to be bound by their Terms of Use Agreement regarding Legal Affairs.

Re: PI LICENSING: Wyoming

Be advised, although there is no state licensing requirements, the city of Cheyenne requires an applicant to physically come in for the fingerprints & the background portion of the licensing process. You will receive a photo identification card from the police department, this is definitely a plus for two reasons:

1) A PI business license from the city of Cheyenne, WY.

2) A photo ID from the Cheyenne Police Department.

With much tact, I probed to find out if there was a possible alternate method of having fingerprints sent in from another LEA out-of-state, it was not ruled out, however, they emphasized the need to come in to complete the whole city business license process including the photo ID.

There are many cities & counties in Wyoming which do not have these requirements, however, you will be minus a license. Unless, of course, you adopt the strategies used for Colorado that may be applied here.

James M Brown - is offline Certified
    Private Investigator Forum Member

Professional Management Member of:
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)

I just wanted to say thank you for this post. I have been looking everywhere for these forms and nobody I contacted in Cheyenne could tell me that there was online forms for these. This post was EXTREMELY helpful. All the best luck to you.

Thank you James, things are working out great for me.

I'm do not live in Wyoming, but would like to apply for the business lic in Cheyenne. Do I need to have residence there as my personal address?