Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Privately Messaging or emailing Forum Members?

Question

I was wondering if it is possible to privately message other forum members? I notice that it is an option listed on the forum profiles, but when I select the option, it says that function has been disabled by the administrator. I just thought that it would be fun to converse with other members who reside in my same city. I noticed that there are a couple of new members as myself in my area. Will messaging or private emailing be enabled sometime soon? Also...could you tell me what Private Messenging is? That seems to be disabled as well. Thanks.

Four issues have determined why the options are disabled for now.

The first is the issue of spam. We have had several complaints by members who were spammed by lurkers and other members for unsolicited goods and services. A more stricter policy on advertising email addresses and personal web pages is being developed. We wish for all members to correspond with others, but not to the point of illegal or unlawful invasions of privacy. By removing the ability to send unsolicited email, the privacy of the investigator members has been restored;

The second issue is the ability of our web server to handle the load for the internal email forwarding system, which will protect your email address from being revealed to other members or visitors. The server has been replaced five times in two years. We are due for one more upgrade before this issue will be resolved;

The third issue is is the ability of our forum software to handle the load for the internal email and private messaging. We just received a message this morning that the final software version is available to us. We have been waiting for five months. Our technical support team hopes to have the new version installed this week;

And the fourth issue is the formal invitation of the worldwide members of IPIU, which is the target date of having all of the other issues in place.

And the final issue is the overall annual report on how members abide by the established Forum Rules & Forum Code of Ethics , which discusses the approved Level 4 Gold upgrade to include the Private Messaging feature of our software.

David Copeland is offline Administrator
    Private Investigators Forum

Sponsored by:
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)
    Originally posted by Amy-Jo Stolen
    Could you tell me what Private Messenging is?
    Private Messaging works just like email, except the message is held in your private message box here at the forum until next time you log in.

If you are already on the forum when another forum member sends you a private message, you can choose to have a pop-up window activated whenever the message is sent to you while reading or posting to the forums.

Spam (unsolicited email) is terrible these days, and we prefer private messaging over email.

As mentioned earlier, this items will be activated as soon as the updates and tasks are completed.

Re: Email

Members email boxes are not to be used for unsolicited email.

If you are a member of IPIU and have completed your final stage, then email addresses can be exchanged in the more private forums that are not open to the public.

Reminder:

Once again, we wish members to read the existing Topics that may already cover the question in mind. If a member cannot find a topic, then we encourage the use of the SEARCH button at the top of the page. This topic could have been easily found by typing in the keyword of "messaging".

I have merged the two topics together. Please read the answer posted by Technical Support near the top of the screen. The disabled feature is only temporary.

To answer the other question regarding why members can choose to turn on email and private messaging features in their Uder Control Panel (when the features are not working), it is because when the features do become active that they will work for that particular member.

We will make a formal announcement of this features when the issues that Tech Support have been met.

Thank you for your support.
    Forum Administrator Staff
    London, England
    www.ipiu.org

START WITH TRUST
    When you see the Better Business Bureau Seal, it means the
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU) has agreed to:

TELL THE TRUTH, KEEP ITS PROMISES, BE RESPONSIVE
    www.ipiu.org | IPIU Web Store
    BBB A+ Rating Link | Contact IPIU
    Founded in 1989 - Celebrating our 31st Year Serving 48,366 Members
    CALL IPIU TODAY TO JOIN: 406-534-0251 (USA)

Kimberly A Croft is offline ** Certified
    Sr. Private Investigator Member

2002 - 2003 Member of:
    Thank you admin, for the correction.

We all seemed to have missed the original topic. Being human, I guess we're allowed to make a mistake every once in a while, right?

We'll have to earn extra brownie points to make up for this one, I guess.
    ~Kim
    "Experience is often what you get when you were expecting something else."

PM's

Hello. I cannot get into my private message box to send or recieve messages. Has anyone else ran into this problem? I did turn in my signed COE and my test...my forum access has not been upgraded yet, maybe that has something to do with it?

Thanks

Mike Brostrom

Distinguished Member:
    Private Investigators Forum Member

Re: PM's

Originally posted by Mike Brostrom
    Hello. I cannot get into my private message box to send or recieve messages. Has anyone else ran into this problem? I did turn in my signed COE and my test...my forum access has not been upgraded yet, maybe that has something to do with it?

Thanks

Mike Brostrom
    Mike,

I merged your question with the topic here in the Technical Support forum. If you haven't alread discovered this thread, you will find some helpful information in the previous posts.

William Brassfield is offline Moderator::
    (On Leave of Absence)

Sr. Distinguished Member:
    Member since 2002

Technical Support

I just wanted to express my appreciation to you folks in keeping the website going, and watching out for the members, (which grows everyday). This must be a monumental task, whatever they're paying you folks, it's not enough.

Thanks again
    Will Brassfield

Where there's a will, there's a way......and I'm Will

Visit our New Home Page: www.ipiu.org

Visit our New Bookstore: www.privateinvestigators.cc

Thanks,
    I was wondering about the private messaging. I still notice that it is not up and running yet. I completely agree with not doing the e-mail route because of spam. Spam just drives me nuts. I have to constantly turn them into my e-mail provider. Thanks so much for the advice here.
    Bradley C. Gray

Badge #6711

"By taking revenge, a man is even with his enemy, but by passing it over, he is superior. - Noah Webster (1758-1843)

I totally agree. I hate spam as well. I thought you have to be on a certain level to use the PM. I still reading different forum.
    Myava S. Waring

There are those who have written and said they would like to talk with one another. Maybe there can be a release form to ask the other member for permission to release thier email address. If I add someone to the buddy list I would think I can contact them. If I can not why have the buddy list?

Another suggestion could be to start a IPIU link (such as a email/newsgroup/listgroup) outside of IPIU.org in which members who would not mind the advertisements can network or it can be moderated so their is no spam to the group.
    In this way members can see each others email address or privately email each other or email the group as a whole.

Michelle Brown
    Make the truth known

Question

Hi Everyone:

I agree with Michelle. I do understand now, that the PM is only temp. not activated . However if a fully paid member would like to communicate with another paid member,(and at their own risk) shouldn't it be their own personal choice and decession to do so? That's really my only question.
    I do also understand what a headache it could conceivably
    be for admin to direct all the personal emails.
    I just think that if a forum member can not use the PM feature then there should be another outlet for the forum members to communicate with each other. Why does the level of a forum member dictate weather or not he/she is allowed to communicate
    with others? I mean NO disrespect when asking my questions, I am just looking for answers.
    Thanks to everyone for their forthcoming input and explanations.
    Sara Pickett
    Private Investigator Trainee

Wouldn't it be possible just to meet in a chat room somewhere. AOL and Yahoo allow you to create rooms. Lets just set up a monthly meeting or something. Just an idea. If there are those that really want to talk to each other I think it would be great to chat with some of the people that I have read so many comments from.

Originally posted by Sara E. Pickett
    ...if a fully paid member would like to communicate with another paid member,(and at their own risk) shouldn't it be their own personal choice and decession to do so? That's really my only question.
    Please read Technical Support's answer above in this topic, where several issues were stated.

One of those issues will allow Level 4-Gold Members Private Messaging with other Level 4 Gold Members - - which is requires that they would have paid their union dues, signed their Code of Ethics, and have participated enough on the forums to not wholely rely on the PM feature versus using the boards to communicate among members.

...I just think that if a forum member can not use the PM feature then there should be another outlet for the forum members to communicate with each other.
    There is . . . there are over 100 forums here.

Right now you are at Level 1, pending receiving your Credentials. You have access to over 20 forums in which all of your interests are covered at this point in your progress. We also have off-topic casual forums designated for chit-chat topics among members.

Until a member has signed their Code of Ethics, there is no assurance they will abide by their COE - except by what they post on the forums.

... Why does the level of a forum member dictate weather or not he/she is allowed to communicate with others?
    Perhaps you should read the Forum Rules & Forum Code of Ethics Topic again.

Also, read the Privacy Statement Topic too.

There is nothing like the Private Investigators Forums on the worldwide Internet. The Testimonials Forum is filled with countless kudos to the administration here, in part because of the overall decorum and respect we have with over 9000 members at these forums. Why? Because we took the best policies and the worse policies of other forums for the last 10 years - and decided over 3 years ago which direction and support we wanted these forums to venture toward.

As an example, we posted a warning to particular newsgroups on the internet that discuss "private investigations". The response we received from some of union members who visited such newsgroups replied:

Originally posted by 020917135518
    Who would want to associate themselves with such garbage?!

I am proud to be a part of this union and you don't ever have to worry about that kind of trash here, that is for sure! Thanks for the warning!
    Originally posted by Margit Gressierer
    I tremendously enjoy my IPIU benefits and was just wondering abot other newsgroups. Not any more. Reading all your comments helped me to sort this topic out very quickly.

The valuable information you all give makes this forum so enjoyable.

Margit Gressierer
    Again, we have various levels of participation - which in a sense allows union members to earn special privileges.

In all the time I have been here I have never received a private message. It may be that most of the discussions I wish to participate in have no need for any type of privacy that cannot be discussed among the members who are already on the private forums for Level 3 and above.

I wish you the best as you continue openly participating among the members that will aid you in your pursuit.
    Sara Livingston
    Director - Board of Ethics
    International Private Investigators Union

START WITH TRUST

Founded in 1989 - Celebrating our 21st Year Serving 41,932 Members
    CALL IPIU TODAY TO JOIN: 800-548-1526

Originally posted by Michelle Brown
    There are those who have written and said they would like to talk with one another.
    You will see that happen as the Level 4 Gold benefits can include a webpage for private investigators, along with their contact telephone numbers.

Another feature for Level 4 will be conference training calls.

Maybe there can be a release form to ask the other member for permission to release thier email address.
    The release form is already in place. The Profile button has the ability to show the email of a member, and the member can choose to turn it on or off.

More imporantly, the Code of Ethics and Forum Rules are very strong in the professional conduct that is required of members.
    If I add someone to the buddy list I would think I can contact them. If I can not why have the buddy list?
    The Level 4 Gold will have the Buddy List activated, as well as Private Messaging. The feature is already in place.
    Another suggestion could be to start a IPIU link (such as a email/newsgroup/listgroup) outside of IPIU.org in which members who would not mind the advertisements can network or it can be moderated so their is no spam to the group.
    Newsgroups are unmoderated. By allowing anyone below a Level 4 access to an open environment among IPIU members would become very large with the Level 1 trainee question and answer venue that is currently seen on the Trainee Forums. Level 4 members are well beyond that stage. There are some groups that forbid any unlicensed private investigator access to their group because of this same reason. Some groups only discuss ongoing investigations and nothing more - no chit chat, nothing.

I believe we have a good environment in the casual forums, the After Hours Lounge where members can freely and openly exchange comments.

Another feature coming is free private investigator email, along with the ability for members to advertise it or not.

Originally posted by Jim Devoy
    Wouldn't it be possible just to meet in a chat room somewhere.
    We have a chat room now, tried it for an hour, and found that we did not have the ability to toss an intruder out that was a minor.

We are looking for a better chat service or software that can give us administrative control over who gets in and who we can force to leave.

You will see this feature in the future.

Sara,

Thank you for explaining in depth about the PM issue. That helps alot.
    I have read the Privacy Statement, and the Forum Code of Ethics again. I (personally) do not need to privately contact another person, BUT it seems that there are others that would like to be able to do this regardless of level, and that is why I wrote my original query.
    It is good that you explained in depth so everyone can see and better understand the reasons why things are as they are. I think that helps everyone.
    As for the kudos to admin and moderators.... I agree 100%,
    and once again, hats off to you guys. You are all doing a GREAT job. Thanks for being here and making things just a little more clear.
    Last edited by Sara E Pickett; 06-11-2003 at 07:18 PM.
    Sara Pickett
    Private Investigator Trainee

Sara, (I like your name)

Thank you for your comment.

I am impressed that you are close to 100 comments on the forums already at Level 1. That usually means you are getting the questions you have answered, as well as helping other members too.

Most of the successful members we have here have high post counts once they get to Level 4. I have no doubt that you will succeed in your quest.

Again, thank you.

LOL,

Woops I just noticed this thread. I guess I jumped the gun and posting a thread on PM but I guess the mods have already deleted it.

Well I see that this forum uses vbulletin. Has anyone looked into phpp?

Originally posted by Michael To

Well I see that this forum uses vbulletin. Has anyone looked into phpp?
    The new VB 3.0 is due out soon and will rock and roll.

Roni L. Pohl is offline Private Investigator Forum Member

2004 to 2005 Member of:

Tech Support is the greatest

Hello,

I was wondering what would I needed to send a private message to members. There are a couple of members I know, or I think I worked with, but I don't want to post personal information or questions on the forums (per IPIU rules and regulations). How can I utilize the private message options?

Thanks in advance, your reply is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Roni

Hi Roni,

The private messaging is currently disabled. To read detailed information about this, please click on the button at the top of this page and type the words private messaging in the keyword box. Any thread having the keyword will be displayed. You’ll have to sift through the displayed items to find exactly what you are looking for.

Sponsored by:
    (Roni's topic merged here)

Please read the first page to this topic.

Roni L. Pohl is offline Private Investigator Forum Member

2004 to 2005 Member of:
    Originally posted by Robert Donovan

The new VB 3.0 is due out soon and will rock and roll.
    Thanks for the info Robert

Originally posted by Kimberly Lackey
    Hi Roni,

The private messaging is currently disabled. To read detailed information about this, please click on the button at the top of this page and type the words private messaging in the keyword box. Any thread having the keyword will be displayed. You’ll have to sift through the displayed items to find exactly what you are looking for.
    Kimberly,

Forgive me. This issue came up with a new member in the Introductions forum. I thought I'd read somewhere that this feature was disabled but there was nothing in my notes except IPIU instructions on how to PM someone. I was just about to give the green flag to my cohort when I came across the PM link in your initial post. After reading through all those notes, I was still confused. The notes were old and I wondered if policy changed since then. I did not want to reopen the subject so I searched around for more data and, whalla, I found what I was looking for!

Thank you for your recent post. I'm now crystal clear on the matter...private messaging is not operational and emailing is not allowed. I also understand and agree with the reasons why.
    MT

God's promises are like stars; the darker the night, the brighter they shine.

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to express my "2 cents" ..

Before finding the IPIU I explored a number of "chat rooms" on the net and one of the things I really disliked was the obnoxious/graphic language of some of the "members"...and of course there was nothing that could be done about it.....

Besides of course the people here, one of the things I really enjoy is the expectation of respect for everyone here.

As a Level 1 member, there is no reason for me to "privately" speak to someone in the forums and to be honest once I'm Level 4, well if I need to have a private conversation with someone I can always exchange email/phone nbr/etc....The administration has put together a great site and if we can't have "play features" such as PM/chat rooms/etc....well that's a small price to pay .

Of course I will admit that I do enjoy PM for it's convenience

Sponsored by:
    Originally posted by Leisl D Olson

As a Level 1 member,
    Level 1?

You seem so - - - mature.

Just get your fingerprints and photos sent in and you're be Level 2.

And - Private Messaging will be available to Level 4 - Gold Members

PS: Don't ask me what god means - It's something I just read!

Before finding the IPIU I explored a number of "chat rooms" on the net and one of the things I really disliked was the obnoxious/graphic language of some of the "members"...and of course there was nothing that could be done about it.....
    Hello Leisl,
    I appreciate and thank you for your comments. Everyone I knew thought the chat rooms were the next best thing to sliced bread. After visiting there once or twice, I did not agree. Your comments are amongst the many reasons why. I also hated receiving instant messages from total strangers containing indescent and insulting proposals. It was definitely an invasion of my privacy.

As a member of IPIU, I was concerned about protecting my privacy. But, I needn't have worried. I've grown to trust IPIU and I'm confident that their decisions will benefit the membership as a whole. I'm also glad that they extend every effort to protect the privacy of all its members. So when they say PM is not operational for levels 1-3, that's good enough for me.

David,

Thanks for the comments ...I would love to send in my photo/fingerprints except I have yet to receive my packet in the mail. I was moving so I decided to wait to send in my initial app, though I did send it in before the deadline, it's now been about a month and I'm still waiting.....I think I'm practicing patience

May

I totally agree

..I would love to send in my photo/fingerprints except I have yet to receive my packet in the mail. I was moving so I decided to wait to send in my initial app, though I did send it in before the deadline, it's now been about a month and I'm still waiting.....I think I'm practicing patience

Email usa@ipiu.org and ask them to send you a duplicate finperprint and photo package to your new address. Provide them with any other information that needs updating.

Julia,

I did fill out the initial app with my "new" address rather than my original, I also sent an email to the addy you listed with my new info...but I never thought about requesting a duplicate fingerprint and photo package ... I'll take care of that today, and thanks for the info

Thumbs up I have to agree about disabling private messaging...

I don't think there is one forum that you can't find an answer in! If you don's see it in a topic heading, you can do a search.

A couple things to keep in mind:

Newcomers (I'm one) probably have the same questions, and the forums allow everyone to find these answers in them. This increases our skills that we'll need for the future.

As far as respect for others, I am in awe of the posting counts I see by the names who have been gracious to reply to my posts! I can't imagine them getting very far in their own pursuits if they are bombarded with 5000+ newcomer PM's that are already answered in the forums!

As a newcomer, I thought about sending a private message, but after reading this topic, I have to agree that bandwidth and monitoring would be a wasted resource, since higher levels offer more privileges anyway. Not to mention if I was on the receiving end! I'd never be able to keep up and get my reading done!
    Diana DeClue

Badge #6850
    "Work smarter - not harder"

Kanda & Admin,

Aloha and Thank You for the link. I had a question on another link and I was forwarded here. Very informative I will keep this link handy. Learning is an everyday process. Once again thank you for the insight. Have a great day....

Aloha,

Sunya

Last edited by Sunya N. Nardo--; 10-06-2003 at 03:37 PM.
    Sunya N. Nardo

With A Power Greater Than Yourself
    All Things Is Possible.........

Badge# 6821

Thank you.

I'm glad I read this as well. I knew what PM'ing was, and was trying to figure out "when" I could use it, now I know.

I'm so looking forward to level 4. Now am curious about the different catagories within that level because I read here (above in the post) about the Level 4 "gold".

I also agree Diana, the moderators and folks who have been here for awhile would, more than likely, get bombarded with newbie questions.

I pesonally can't wait to talk to fellow PI's that live/work locally.

What about the ignore feature? Why would someone want to use that? I know some people just don't see eye to eye, but wouldn't people that just can't seem to be social or professional (that we'd want to ignore), wouldn't they have just naturally fallen out of IPIU?

Well on to more reading.....

Thanks technical support for answering another question.
    Shiela M Hargett
    Badge #6855

I realize that many of the comments in this thread are several months old, if not older. But I did want to add my twenty-five cents worth (inflationary two cents worth). I have read the Code of Ethics. IPIU holds each of its individual members to a high standard. And they should. I have not been a member of any group or organization where I have not had to sign some form of Code of Ethics. Without standards, there is only anarchy and confusion. The deeper I go into these comments, the more I realize the awesome task that is the moderator's. They do a great job, and I admire them. I am sure that at times it is a difficult job. Laying down the law is always difficult. Many times you are perceived as the bad guys. And that is a shame. Keep up the good work guys! Kudos to all of you.

Re: I have to agree about disabling private messaging...

Originally posted by Diana Declue
    I can't imagine them getting very far in their own pursuits if they are bombarded with 5000+ newcomer PM's that are already answered in the forums!

As a newcomer, I thought about sending a private message, but after reading this topic, I have to agree that bandwidth and monitoring would be a wasted resource, since higher levels offer more privileges anyway. Not to mention if I was on the receiving end! I'd never be able to keep up and get my reading done!
    Interesting. We just found out from another forum that they now have to go in and manually trim down over 10,000 private messages. They are now considering turning off the feature and increasing the number of forums to allow the information to be posted for all to read.
    Julia Ann Stewart
    Sr. Director of Public Relations
    International Private Investigators Union

START WITH TRUST

Founded in 1989 - Celebrating our 21st Year Serving 41,932 Members
    CALL IPIU TODAY TO JOIN: 800-548-1526

Originally posted by Lisa Hawkinson
    ... about the Level 4 "gold".
    By the time a member reaches Level 4-Gold, they rarely have a need for private messaging.

Further, all moderators and administrators have private messaging available, but they rarely use it. They simply discuss a variety of issues in the private forums. They also have free ipiu.org email addresses which are rarely needed.

In the end, the tool becomes available but the posting of topics and comments becomes a living journal that will always be here, whereas private messaging (and emails) are here one day and gone another.

Originally posted by Glenn N Klipp
    I realize that many of the comments in this thread are several months old, if not older. But I did want to add my twenty-five cents worth (inflationary two cents worth). I have read the Code of Ethics. IPIU holds each of its individual members to a high standard. And they should. I have not been a member of any group or organization where I have not had to sign some form of Code of Ethics. Without standards, there is only anarchy and confusion. The deeper I go into these comments, the more I realize the awesome task that is the moderator's. They do a great job, and I admire them. I am sure that at times it is a difficult job. Laying down the law is always difficult. Many times you are perceived as the bad guys. And that is a shame. Keep up the good work guys! Kudos to all of you.
    Thank you, Glenn.

Our moderators go through a few months of training before being granted the use of moderator tools.

Then they go through several more months to obtain Sr. Moderator, which allows them to use most of their tools without pre-approval.

Administrators are the absolute most trusted and trained people here.

But from Moderator to Sr. Moderator, there is no other forum in the world that has the training we have. And we train never to show an ego when enforcing the rules. We train caring people to be caring moderators.

And still, the moderators at times take the abuse of one or two or three people out of the 14,000 registered members at this site.

But they are also addicted to the good they do here as well.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast