Thread: FBI Director Says Right To Own Guns May Harm Safety Efforts

Wardy Landrau - - is offline Private Investigator Forum Member

2008 Member of:
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)

Post FBI Director Says Right To Own Guns May Harm Safety Efforts

I found the following from:

FBI Chief Criticizes Supreme Court's Gun Ruling
    HARTFORD, Conn. — Last week's landmark U.S. Supreme Court ruling that upheld a constitutional right to own guns for self-defense and hunting may harm efforts to deter violent crime in communities and college campuses, the FBI Director, Robert Mueller, said today.

Speaking at a convention of the International Association of Campus Law Enforcement Administrators at Hartford, Mr. Mueller criticized the ruling, which he said "does throw a lot of things up in the air."

Last year, a gunman killed 32 people at Virginia Tech in the nation's worst mass shooting in modern history, prompting some states to consider new laws to tighten campus security. Earlier this year, a gunman killed five people at Northern Illinois University.

By a 5-4 vote last week, the nation's highest court struck down the District of Columbia's 32-year-old ban on handguns, the first major pronouncement on gun rights in history. It upheld the right for communities to license guns.

Mr. Mueller said communities will have to determine their own license programs. As a former Marine who served in Vietnam, he said "I tend to believe weapons harm people and more often than not they harm the people carrying them."

With his grandchildren going to college, Mr. Mueller said he hopes "those campuses will be weapons free."

Mr. Mueller said the FBI's top priority remains counterterrorism, counter-intelligence, and protecting the secrets of America.

He said college campuses and small communities could be "potential incubators of terrorism" even while major cities such as New York and Los Angeles remain primary targets for terrorists.

"The fact is we can't rule out any community in the United States as a potential incubator of terrorism," Mr. Mueller said.

source:
    http://www.nysun.com/national/fbi-ch...-ruling/80965/

Chuck Mullin is offline Private Investigator Forum Member

Member of:

PERSONAL Opinion Only

only law abiding citizens have the right to own firearms, if Mueller thinks law abiding citizens are potential criminals just b/c they have guns, its appalling. Maybe he should try to live in a place without security all the time, where the chance of getting raped or killed is an everday thing, then lets hear him say Americans dont have the right to defend themselves.

PERSONAL Opinion Only

I would ask anyone who agree's with gun control this simple question.
    Do you have a fire alarm in your home?
    9 out 10 would say "Of course I do"
    My response would be "why!! we have fire departments.
    They would naturally explain that the fire department would not get their for several minutes.
    I say exactly! neither could law enforcement personnel so why take away your only defense against criminals who already know this? I do like to debate but to often it turns into argument's

PERSONAL Opinion Only

Wow, that sounds a lot like J. Edgar Hoover's notion that all the college students were radicals being primed by commie-minded professors. If Mueller is the new Hoover, then who'll be the next Senator McCarthy?

Here's a quick quiz. Which US Presidemt abolished the Subversive Organization List? (Are you now, or have you ever been a member of...)

PERSONAL Opinion Only

It sounds like Mr. Mueller has political aspirations in mind.

Richard Nixon abolished the attorney generals list of subversive organizations in 1974.

Re: FBI Director Says Right To Own Guns May Harm Safety Efforts

I forgot to add Good analogy Chad

Thumbs up Re: FBI Director Says Right To Own Guns May Harm Safety Efforts

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie J Abron View Post
    It sounds like Mr. Mueller has political aspirations in mind.

Richard Nixon abolished the attorney generals list of subversive organizations in 1974.
    Yes, and yes.

What bothers me most is that many of our politicians think they know whats best for me...and you.

David Palmer is offline Licensed Private Investigator
    Private Investigator Forum Member

Professional Management Member of:

PERSONAL Opinion Only

Not to promote other organizations but now is the time to join the NRA. I really think that we will have some significant problems this year (2009) with the anti-gun nuts. Also if you think that you may want a center fired semi-auto rifle, it would be a great idea to buy one. If you are interested in seeing what President-elect Obama wants to go go to the change dot org website and under the agends link you will find the urban policies which shows where they are headed.

GOD BLESS YOU and MERRY CHRISTMAS

Dave Palmer

Richard Moschetti Jr is offline *** Certified
    Licensed Private Investigator, Retired LEO

Professional Member of:

PERSONAL Opinion Only

If you're a law abiding citizen and don't have a criminal record and have a concealed firearms permit than you should be allowed to carry for self defense. The criminals will carry and rob, kill and rape. The police and the government can't protect you and your family 24/7. I'm a Law Enforcement Officer and I can't be with my family 24/7 because I'm out doing my job. My family should be allowed to protect themselves like any other citizen. If you believe the government can protect you 24/7 you are dillusional.

Robert Woo is offline Certified

Former Federal Agent
    2006 - 2008 Professional Management Member of:

You can read my take on this at www.smashbooks.com.

Professional Member of:

The FBI Director has armed bodyguards to protect him and his family. Who's out there protecting my family when I'm out protecting the public. 45-60 minute response time for local Law Enforcement is pathetic. In NYPD the response time for a crime in progress in a few minutes not 45-60 minutes. There's not enough Cops on the street to protect everyone. Law abiding citizens have the right to self defense. President Obama wants only the Military and Law Enforcement to have firearms. I don't see the criminals lining up to surrender their firearms, I see them waiting for use to give up ours so it will be easy pickings for the perps on the streets. I have 23 years Law Enforcement and 23 years Military experience and if you believe taking the guns away is going to stop the criminals and crime you are a dumbxxx.

An armed populace scares the hell outta the government, it keeps the .gov from doing whatever it pleases. Of course the opposite is also true.

Elizabeth Anderson is offline Private Investigator Forum Member

Professional Member of:

Last I heard, sorry no link, many States are considering either taxing the heck out of ammunition or requiring another license (at a price) to purchase ammunition. This is just an attempt to make ammo unaffordable for the masses.

An armed population is a safer population. Criminals do not acquire weapons legally. No Government sponsored law preventing gun ownership is going to deter a criminal from obtaining a gun or from using it in a crime.

Even if all guns, every one of them, were to be destroyed, criminals would still commit crimes with another weapon of choice. A knife, a baseball bat or a crow bar come to mind and I don't see any proposed laws trying to ban these 'weapons'.

The old adage, guns don't kill people, people kill people holds true no matter what you might substitute for guns. Yes, there are irresponsible gun owners that end up hurting or killing themselves or someone else, but by the same token, there are irresponsible car owners who do the same thing on a much larger scale than legal gun owners. Where are the laws to take away those murderous vehicles?

Our forefathers recognized that the right to own guns was so important, that only our right to free speech was more important.

I love going to the range to practice, I went Thursday. When was the last time you practiced?

Keep your powder dry and stock up on ammo soon.
    Our constitution gives us the right to bare arms and we as a nation need to fight to keep this right.Everyne needs to write to their congressman and Obama to let them know we are not backing down. We need to let them know that taxation fees or any other form of trying to keep us from our rights needs to be stopped. The criminals will win the war on drugs, gangs will be out of control and those who don't follow the law will be the ones running our streets.Law obiding citizens will not be able to protect themselves, then what will we not be able to hunt anymore? What other rights will they take? Will the constitution not exist at all in years to come?

David Palmer is offline Licensed Private Investigator

Professional Management Member of:

The President will not do the dirty work, because even many dyed in the wool liberals like guns. His stooges will however, check out HR 45 and many more to come from crazy people that have lots of armed people protecting them.

Carol S Schwab - is offline (E)

Member of:

I agree we should be able to carry weapons and I am a grandmother! I have traveled extensively and never had a problem but maybe it's because I'm carrying.

Professional Member of:

Cool Re: FBI Director Says Right To Own Guns May Harm Safety Efforts

Every law abiding citizen has the constitutional right to bear arms and protect themselves. I'm retired Law Enforcement and Military and I carry religiously.

Jackie Stewart-- is offline * Certified (E)

Member of:

I agree with all of you guys. If our ridiculous government wants to take my gun(s)......"they can pry it from my cold dead hand". Even IF they are able to repeal our constitutional right to carry and bear arms, they will never be able to force me to hand over my guns. I won't let them.