Thread: Security Cameras Watching High-Ranking NYPD Official

Wardy Landrau - - is offline Private Investigator Forum Member

2008 Member of:
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)

Post Security Cameras Watching High-Ranking NYPD Official

Among the hundreds of New York City police security cameras installed throughout the city are three in front of the Brooklyn home of Chief of Department Joseph Esposito, according to police sources as reported in Newsday.

Esposito, the highest-ranking uniformed member of the department, lives on a quiet block that residents say is virtually devoid of crime and trouble, other than the occasional rowdy teenager.

Police sources told Newsday that the cameras -- two aimed at his property and one that can rotate and capture images farther up the block -- were set up as a precaution and not because the chief had received any specific threats.

Esposito referred questions to the NYPD's press office. Deputy Commissioner Paul Browne said it is the department's policy not to discuss security matters.

"It's there because of who he is," one source said. "Just in case."

But that, according to one government watchdog group, raises questions about how the NYPD uses its resources and determines where the cameras are placed.

Susan Lerner, executive director of Common Cause New York, says it's important such decisions are made carefully, with an eye to maximize resources without compromising safety, according to the newspaper.

"These decisions are often not made on a 'Let's balance the pros and cons basis,'" she says. "If we put a camera there, we're not putting one over there, where all these robberies are. These are questions that need to be addressed."

One high-ranking police source, however, said the cameras in front of Esposito's home are not among the 505 being placed at a cost of $9.1 million throughout the city to fight crime.

According to Newsday, Esposito is highly visible, often seen at the side of Police Commissioner Ray Kelly during news briefings and known to respond at all hours of the day and night to major incidents.

Kelly has a camera outside his apartment door in the Battery Park City building where he lives, and there is a stepped-up police response whenever officers from the First Precinct respond there, regardless of the nature of the call.

One politician who has a camera outside his home, city Councilman Peter Vallone Jr., said one was installed in front of his Astoria home because someone opposed to his public denouncements of graffiti put his address on a Web site and encouraged taggers to vandalize his property.

Esposito's public stature warrants a camera, Vallone said.

"I trust the police to accurately assess the likelihood of potential harm against its own members," says Vallone, chairman of the council's Public Safety Committee.

Newsday reports that Kelly has touted cameras as an important tool in fighting crime and preventing terrorism, but groups such as the New York Civil Liberties Union have raised privacy concerns and said the NYPD has not fully explained how it would prevent abuses.

The NYCLU asserts that cameras are not the deterrent police believe them to be and that the NYPD pushed through the initiative without public feedback.

Wardy Landrau
    Badge#11509

Re: Security Cameras Watching High-Ranking NYPD Official

I also say that as any public official who willingly ran for office they knew the risk's and what it would entail to be in the public's eye.
    So now that they achieved their goal personnel security should fall on their shoulder's as far as financeing.Same thing should apply to former president's do not use Secret Service and if you do then they should have to pay for them as well.
    To many official's are sticking the tax payer's with some incredible bill's that they themselves could have paid

Richard Moschetti Jr is offline *** Certified
    Licensed Private Investigator, Retired LEO

Professional Member of:

As a retired NYPD Police Officer and a current Florida Law Enforcement Officer there is a Florida Statute that prevents my address from being public record. This is to protect my family. Just because I choose this profession doesn't mean my families safety should be comprimised. While I'm out protecting you "The Public" my family should be protected also. That is why Florida protects the addresses of all active and retired Officers, Judges, State Prosecutors and their Investigators.

Richard Moschetti Jr is offline *** Certified
    Licensed Private Investigator, Retired LEO

Professional Member of:

I guess no-one has anything more to say about this blog. I'd like to add something here. When we enter any public office(service)we jeopardize our safety, our wife and children. Are families need to be protected because we aren't home, we are working to make sure you all are safe at home and on the street. Stop your complaining about are families getting a little extra protection. Bottom line is a camera can't stop a bullet, only help catch the perp. after your family is already DEAD!!!

David Palmer is offline Licensed Private Investigator
    Private Investigator Forum Member

Professional Management Member of:

After reading the above post and comments, and being a current and active Federal Officer I must say that the regular Officers and Agents do not get any extra protection other than what they provide (only the Top "Brass" gets all of the security perks) which may be the real issue here. From what I have seen, the protection of LEO's is given a bunch of lipservice by my agency but in practice the mentality when a threat is given is "man-up" dude. Our personal data is all over the internet and the DOJ does nothing to help us until something really bad happens. So when I read an article like the above it just reaffirms how broken the system really is. This is all from a California perspective, and I assume that it is better with other agencies and in other areas but from my experiance you are really on your own while the Policy makers are protected on the taxpayers dime. I have to pay for my own security system while the Top dogs get theirs for free. One last thing, the taxpaying citizens of NY City dont get
    the luxury of owning guns but all of these "Top Brass" do.

John Sanderson is offline Lifetime Member

Corporate Agency Member of:

I don't think that it is a bad idea to put cameras outside a high ranking figures house like that.
    At least there aren't guards assigned at a larger cost.

When I lived in NYC there was a judge that lived on our block. He had a cop in an unmarked police car parked out front 24/7

Flora Porter is offline * Certified SPI
    Distinguished Member of Private Investigators Forum

Member of International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)

Thumbs down Re: Security Cameras Watching High-Ranking NYPD Official

I think it is a bit much to have the need for a cop to guard a judge 24/7?

John Sanderson is offline Lifetime Member

Corporate Agency Member of:

I disagree, but I do believe that cameras are more cost effective.

New York is at times a very dangerous place. Immagine how many people a judge incarcerates each day.
    How many of those people have the ability to do harm to the judge?

Now on the other side of the rainbow, Probate.
    If a judge desides to award custody of a child to someone that another person feels is a danger to the child,
    who's to say that they won't seek vengance.

It's tough to be a police officer, but I believe it's even tougher to be a judge in some cases.

John

Jackie Stewart-- is offline * Certified (E)

Private Investigator Forum Member

Member of:

Quote Originally Posted by Chad Hodkinson View Post
    I also say that as any public official who willingly ran for office they knew the risk's and what it would entail to be in the public's eye.
    So now that they achieved their goal personnel security should fall on their shoulder's as far as financeing.Same thing should apply to former president's do not use Secret Service and if you do then they should have to pay for them as well.
    To many official's are sticking the tax payer's with some incredible bill's that they themselves could have paid
    I don't think it should say "they themselves COULD have paid" it should say NEEDED to pay or SHOULD have paid. I know for a fact that politicians don't want to pay for themselves what could be paid for by the tax payers. ALL POLITICIANS regardless if they are still in office or retired, should pay for their own stuff. That means security guards, clothes, food, and whatever else that they feel that they are entitled to because they are in politics. Just my own personal 2 cents.