Thread: PI license qualification Question

PI license qualification Question

One for the experts,
    I just recieved an application from the state (IA) for a PI license.
    On the list of qualifications it states that you cannot have a history of mental illness or be mentally unstable. This is understandable since there will be situaltions where you will have to think quickly, act appropriate, and use good judgment.

My question is this; about 3 years ago I was under a lot of stress and anxiety, and for the first time in my life I felt the need to see a shrink. I never did anything crazy or anything like that. I've owned operated a construction business for the pass 15 Years. I did'nt even miss work at that time. The Shrink prescribed Paxil for me (anti-anxiety medication) and I've been fine ever since.

I know when they check my background they will find that I've visited a mental health clinic. I'm thinking maybe I should try to head it off a little by sending a letter explaining the circumstances.
    What are the chances this will prevent me from being licensed?

Your thoughts please.
    Thank you,
    Burt DuQuette

Burt,

I am by far an expert, but I can tell you that there are probably thousands and thousands of people in law enforcement, fire/EMS, security, private investigations etc., that have been prescribed anti-depressants for one reason or another.

Just remember that stress and anxiety will affect everyone at some point. therefore, you are not alone. Depression is a very common and often overlooked disorder (and yes, I have been diagnosed with it, PTSD, and CFS also, so I can understand how you may feel).

I really can't imagine that they would pull up your medical records, and if they did, were you diagnosed with a disorder that would constitute being a "mental illness" that renders you unstable and/or unable to perform the duties of a PI?

In my honest opinion, Burt, I think that you should not even worry about it. But, like I said, I certainly not an expert, and this is just my opinion.

Be safe,
    Stephen

"Remember,
    he's watching..."

Donna Reagan is offline Administrator
    Private Investigators Forum

Licensed Private Investigator
    DHS Certified

Re: PI license qualification Question

Originally posted by Burt DuQuette
    ... cannot have a history of mental illness or be mentally unstable.
    Not the same as depression. Even a mental breakdown is not mental illness.

If in doubt, call the doctor you saw three years ago and get his/her opinion on the question.

As for a recorded visit to a clinic, that is not the same as being admitted to a mental hospital.

Thanks for your thoughts.
    I figured they will check my medical records because of that one qualification regarding mental illness.

I do have a mild form of OCD (obsessive compulsive disorder) but it does'nt affect my dailey routine or my ability to interact with people. It's something no one would ever even suspect I had.

I've decided to go in and talk to the shrink again and see if I can get him to write a letter of assurance that my problem should'nt affect my ability to function as a PI.

Thanks,
    Burt DuQuette

I don't think it would have any effect on your eligibility. After all, there is a very long road between "mental illness" and feeling the need to talk to someone about what's troubling you.

If you have never been diagnosed as having a mental disorder or been confined to an institution, then you should have no "record of mental illness".