Thread: Reciprocal agreements for PI License in other states?

Reciprocal agreements for PI License in other states?

National site for state licensing sources:
    http://www.iasir.org/licensing.htm#

Has anyone already researched which states have reciprocal agreements or programs? I would be interested in knowing that, especially for PA, MD, and WV. Thanks in advance!

Luke A Slowik is offline *
    Moderator (Retired)

Former Law Enforcement Officer
    Distinguished Member: Private Investigators Forum

Re: Reciprocal agreements.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Catalano View Post
    Luke, I meant reciprocity with this Colorado licensing I've been reading about. It sounds good, but I just don't know if it's worth it. I live in PA and I'm very close to both MD and WV.
    Chris,
    This link gives some info on PA from the Attorney General's Office:
    http://www.attorneygeneral.gov/crime.aspx?id=184

Luke,
    Thanks again. I looked at the page you mentioned. Looks like all of the reciprocity agreements on that page refer specifically to firearms transportation and concealed carry. My question refers to PI licenses. I am currently looking into this myself when I have some time but I'm not making much progress yet. I will post whatever info I can come up with.

Chris Shelton - is offline Licensed Private Investigator

Member of the International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)

Hey guys I live in Illinois I am licensed and am Licensed in Utah. That Colorado office caught my attention. Any body aware of there reciprocity for Illinois. I am interested in concealed cary laws and investigative works. Thanks in advance.

Re: Reciprocal agreements for PI License in other states?

What many refer to as "reciprocity agreements" tend to be drafted by state's attorney generals and relate typically (at this time) to carrying weapons. That is how the language is commonly used. These written, and sometimes codified, agreements are between a state and other state(s).

Some states allow PIs from other states to cross their state line in order to conduct private investigations. Some states have licensing for unarmed PIs and armed PIs. Each individual state (where you might work) usually has the requirements for crossing into their state for PI work. Since it is usually only found in the licensing code, there is generally no reciprocal agreement between the states for PI work.

So, "X State" laws may allow a licensed PI from "Y State" to enter and work (usually under 30 days a year), however "Y State" may not have a similar provision in their code to do so, and will not allow an "X State" PI to work legally.

Where you work, and what type of work, is important. If you ask a PI in the state you are interested in crossing into, they will certainly know the answer for you. Otherwise (and this is my choice) you need to look at the laws of the state where you might cross into. And call the state for guidance.

Jennifer Smith is offline Private Investigator Forum Member

Member of International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)

I hope this helps-

If you are licensed as an employee through an agency, they will only assign you work in areas that accept your state's license reciprocally.

If you are licensed on your own you can check with your state's AG office for a list, or contact the PI licensing division for your state.

If the investigation originates in the state you are licensed in, then you can cross state borders legally. i.e. you are contracted for surveillance for a WC Claim originating in Ohio and are licensed in OH, but the Claimant is now living in Illinois, you can go to Illinois and perform the surveillance.

TIP- (some have disagreed with me on this but I speak from personal experience as a licensed PI in OH and PA) ALWAYS CONTACT THE LOCAL POLICE FOR THE AREA YOU ARE SETTING UP SURVEILLANCE AND MAKE THEM AWARE OF YOUR PRESENCE IN THE AREA, THEY WILL ASK FOR YOUR VEHICLE DESCRIPTION, PLATE #, AND CONTACT #. YOU SHOULD CALL THE DISPATCHER (NOT 911!!), AND IDENTIFY YOURSELF AS A LICENSED PI, INCLUDING THE STATE YOU ARE LICENSED. DO NOT DISCLOSE CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION SUCH AS SUBJECT YOU ARE SURVEILLING, REASON, ETC. JUST THAT YOU WILL BE IN A CERTAIN AREA (SUBDIVISION NAME, A STREET YOU ARE SET UP ON, ETC.). THIS HAS MADE MY JOB SO MUCH EASIER!! IF SOMEONE CALLS TO REPORT A SUSPICIOUS VEHICLE THEY ALREADY KNOW YOU'RE THERE AND WILL COVER YOU. THERE IS NOTHING MORE DISASTEROUS TO A SURVEILLANCE THAN TO HAVE THE POLICE PULL UP AND START QUESTIONING YOU!! ALSO IF YOU ARE IN A KNOWN CRIME AREA THE POLICE WILL GENERALLY MAKE ADDITIONAL ROUNDS (WITHOUT BLOWING YOUR COVER!) TO ENSURE YOUR SAFETY.

Be safe, be legal, be profitable!!
    Jenn Smith

Carol S Schwab - is offline (E)
    Private Investigator Forum Member

Member of:
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)

Hi Jenn,

Thanks for the info. I was wondering about surveillance and the new stalking laws. It seems you have given me the answer.

Jennifer Smith is offline Private Investigator Forum Member

Member of International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)

Quote Originally Posted by Carol S Schwab View Post
    Hi Jenn,

Thanks for the info. I was wondering about surveillance and the new stalking laws. It seems you have given me the answer.
    Great Carol! Rember just having the confidence to act and appear that you belong where ever you are goes a long way too!

Best wishes!
    Jennifer Smith
    The Last Precinct Investigations

Ohio License#200811086004
    www.LastPrecinct.com

jennifer.smith@pi-agency.us