Thread: Millions of Prisoners to be released in USA

Arrow Millions of Prisoners to be released in USA

Form the AP News:

"Lawmakers from California to Kentucky are trying to save money with a drastic and potentially dangerous budget-cutting proposal: releasing tens of thousands of convicts from prison, including drug addicts, thieves and even violent criminals.

Officials acknowledge that the idea carries risks, but they say they have no choice because of huge budget gaps brought on by the slumping economy.

"If we don't find a way to better manage the population at the state prison, we will be forced to spend money to expand the state's prison system — money we don't have," said Jeff Neal, a spokesman for Rhode Island Gov. Don Carcieri.

At least eight states are considering freeing inmates or sending some convicts to rehabilitation programs instead of prison, according to an Associated Press analysis of legislative proposals. If adopted, the early release programs could save an estimated $450 million in California and Kentucky alone.

A Rhode Island proposal would allow inmates to deduct up to 12 days from their sentence for every month they follow rules and work in prison. Even some violent offenders would be eligible but not those serving life sentences.

A plan in Mississippi would offer early parole for people convicted of selling marijuana or prescription drugs. New Jersey, South Carolina and Vermont are considering funneling drug-addicted inmates into treatment, which is cheaper than prison.

The prospect of financial savings offers little comfort to Tori-Lynn Heaton, a police officer in a suburb of Providence whose ex-husband went to prison for beating her. He has already finished his prison term, but would have been eligible for early release under the current proposal.

"You're talking about victim safety. You're talking about community member safety," she said. "You can't balance the budget on the backs of victims of crimes."

But prisons "are one of the most expensive parts of the criminal-justice system," said Alison Lawrence, who studies corrections policy for the National Conference of State Legislatures. "That's where they look to first to cut down some of those costs."

Rhode Island Corrections Director A.T. Wall was not sure how many prisoners could be freed early. The payoff for doing so may be relatively small: less than $1 million for the first fiscal year, although that figure would increase over time.

In California, where lawmakers have taken steps to cut a $16 billion budget deficit in half by summer, Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger proposed saving $400 million by releasing more than 22,000 inmates who had less than 20 months remaining on their sentences. Violent and sex offenders would not be eligible.

Laying off prison guards and making it more difficult to send parole violators back to state prison would account for part of the savings.

Law enforcement officials and Republican lawmakers immediately criticized Schwarzenegger's proposal, which would apply to car thieves, forgers, drunken drivers and some drug dealers. Some would never serve prison time because the standard sentence for those crimes is 20 months or less.

"To open the prison door and release prisoners back into communities is merely placing a state burden onto local governments and will ultimately jeopardize safety in communities," said Fresno Police Chief Jerry Dyer, who could see 1,800 inmates released in his area.

In Kentucky, which faces a $1.3 billion deficit, lawmakers approved legislation Wednesday to grant early release to some prisoners. Initial estimates were that the plan could affect as many as 2,000 inmates and save nearly $50 million.

If the governor signs the bill, the exact number of prisoners would be determined by prison officials. Violent convicts and sexual offenders would be exempt.

Gov. Steve Beshear has said Kentucky must review its policies after the state's inmate population jumped 12 percent last year — the largest increase in the nation.

Kentucky spends more than $18,600 to house one inmate for a year, or roughly $51 a day. In California, each inmate costs an average of $46,104 to incarcerate.

The prison budget in Mississippi has nearly tripled since stricter sentencing laws took effect in 1994.

To curb spending, lawmakers have offered a bill to make about 7,000 drug offenders in prison eligible for parole. A second proposal would allow the parole board to release inmates convicted of selling marijuana and prescription drugs after serving just a quarter of their sentences. Currently, they must serve 85 percent of their terms before release.

Michigan is trying to speed up the parole process for about 3,500 inmates who were convicted of nonviolent, nonsexual offenses, or who are seriously ill.

Barbara Sampson, chairwoman of the Michigan Parole Board, said early release often makes sense, especially for low-risk offenders who get help rebuilding their lives.

"Getting that prisoner back to the community so that he can stay connected to his family, getting him back into the work force ... that's a positive thing," she said.

But not everyone is sold on the idea.

"Economics cannot be the engine that drives the train of public safety," said Terrence Jungel, executive director of the Michigan Sheriffs' Association. "Government has no greater responsibility than the protection of its citizens."

Edward Dixon is offline *** Certified

Professional Management Member of:
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)

Re: Millions of Prisoners to be released in USA

I wonder if the option to go to Iraq and bring some of our men and women home should be an alternative?
    Edward Dixon
    Badge #11584

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Dixon View Post
    I wonder if the option to go to Iraq and bring some of our men and women home should be an alternative?
    Edward Dixon
    Badge #11584
    I think there was a WW2 movie about that same thing, The Dirty Dozen? Maybe we could call them The Dirty Million.

Edward Dixon is offline *** Certified

You know, we may just have something here
    Edward Dixon
    IPIU MEMBER

Badge # 11584
    www.edward.dixon.pi-agency.us

Hmm Sounds like we need a prison colony. Lets find a deserted Island and just dump them all off on it to fend for themselves.

Before any of the states actually do this, perhaps they should figure out what to do with all the illegal immigrants first. Once they solve this, then there should be room for some select early releases.
    William E. Hoelscher, CPP

Carlina Aldridge is offline *** Certified
    Private Investigator Forum Member

We need to do something about this Law. We as PI can get together and right a letter or go there and express our views. But thanks this is good information to know.

I'm sorry but some of our "leaders" have no clue...Prisons are not a hard place to live in for most convicts...they are allowed to have TV's, dvd's, work out equipment...access to librairies where they have access to books and can get a high school diploma, they can study the system and become Lawyers. They get three meals a day and get to lounge around....us taxpayers are paying for their "vacation". They get educated in there and don't have to pay for it...we go to College and have to pay tuition, fee's and for our books. We have to work and they don't. So if they are let out, they know they always have a home away from home....so they will have no problem going back.

David Palmer is offline Licensed Private Investigator

I agree with all of your comments and wish to add this: Perhaps if California quit spending money on failed social programs then maybe we could keep the crooks in jail. I wonder how many of these inmates are gang members who will now have a second chance to do what they do best. Great example for our kids huh.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Kemp View Post
    Hmm Sounds like we need a prison colony. Lets find a deserted Island and just dump them all off on it to fend for themselves.
    Aaron, I agree with you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Palmer View Post
    I agree with all of your comments and wish to add this: Perhaps if California quit spending money on failed social programs then maybe we could keep the crooks in jail. I wonder how many of these inmates are gang members who will now have a second chance to do what they do best. Great example for our kids huh.
    True!

William J Withers is offline Private Investigator Forum Member
    Former Law Enforcement Officer

Member of the International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)

Another point of view, on a rather old post. A lot of people see prison as a second chance, they break the law and end up in jail, only to be saved, a chaplain or a social worker might work with him, he might take some eduaction classes, etc. Which in turn is a nice thing. HOWEVER, what a lot of people don't know is there are plenty of prisons that do NOT have rehabilitation programs, and there are plenty of inmates in the prisons that do, that haven't had any. Regardless, a career criminal that has been inside many times, is not likely to have an epiphany... so he doesn't need to be walking the streets. I am sure prison overcrowding could be alleviated with more house arrests, especially for lesser criminals (like your tax evaders, your insurance scammers etc), the price of a leg monitor and sending someone to check on him once a week HAS to be less than housing, feeding, clothing and guarding an otherwise low-risk inmate. Why release violent criminals? That doesn't make any sense.

Quote Originally Posted by William J Withers View Post
    Another point of view, on a rather old post. A lot of people see prison as a second chance, they break the law and end up in jail, only to be saved, a chaplain or a social worker might work with him, he might take some eduaction classes, etc. Which in turn is a nice thing. HOWEVER, what a lot of people don't know is there are plenty of prisons that do NOT have rehabilitation programs, and there are plenty of inmates in the prisons that do, that haven't had any. Regardless, a career criminal that has been inside many times, is not likely to have an epiphany... so he doesn't need to be walking the streets. I am sure prison overcrowding could be alleviated with more house arrests, especially for lesser criminals (like your tax evaders, your insurance scammers etc), the price of a leg monitor and sending someone to check on him once a week HAS to be less than housing, feeding, clothing and guarding an otherwise low-risk inmate. Why release violent criminals? That doesn't make any sense.
    Let me put alittle insight as to one reason I feel the way I do and hense forth lead to the remarks I made.
    One of my Nephews turned to gang life at a early age. My sister worked nights and unfortunately that is when they all get together. He would send requests for everything possible that the prison he was in would allow. A long list. He had access to a gym, played baseball if he chose to, he didn't. He had a TV, stereo, new clothes and even got his GED. He had access to a library and law books. He always came out to "improve" and "change", but didn't stay out of the area which got him into trouble in the first place. I am sorry to say lead to his death. He was gunned down by new younger gang guys just starting out. He was thirty when he died last year and the guy that killed him just turned eighteen last month. Fortunately they caught him, which we never had any hope of them doing so. I don't condone that lifestyle and my experience with most parents that have kids in that lifestyle do not care or are in the same environment and that is where their kids learned it...I am not saying that it is the parents fault all the time, but I do blame the parents that defend them knowing what their child is and does. It is really hard to be a good parent and do the right think than look the other way, which most do. Especially if the prisoner is an adult, they should be able to make their own decisions, right or wrong. Unfortunately it doesn't go away unless they are very lucky. My nephew was in and out of prison all his life and when he wanted to get out, it was too late for him...from my experience, and not just my nephew's view, they repeat and end up in the same place...it's unfortunate that sometimes it is too late by the time they learn. So my from my perspective, it is a mistake to let them out, they need to rehabilitate them and help them find a new way which by the way is NOT offered unless they ask...and most don't ask. I have looked into this kind of situation and not only are the Prisons overcrowded, those prisoners come out on Parole and there are not enough Parole Officers to make sure they are staying out of trouble...they report to them once a month and if they haven't gotten arrested, they don't bother with them.

Carol S Schwab - is offline (E)

Member of:

The only comment I have (having worked in a county juvnile detention center) is that not all felons are hard core raving, murdering criminals. Many are first time offenders or non-violent offenders. There needs to be a way to target the ones who will not offend again, those who are rehabilitated and those who want to rehabilitate(yes there are a few). Work with those you can save and lock up the rest. Remember even violent, drug selling perverts are going to be released someday and may move into your neighborhood.
    These are my opinions (I'm for the death penalty.)

Antonios Simoglou-- is offline * Certified (E)
    Licensed Private Investigator

2009 - 2010 Professional Management Member of:

My input on this is that we have to many tax dollars going to storing inmates. Prison seems to not be about the law or justice as it seems to be more for business and for many to profit from. Private institutions are growing at an alarming rate with a growing rate of corruption and mishandling of the people inside. They shed many by looking at non-violent offenders and putting them into different programs and removing them from the prisons but it does not seems to be enough to make an impact. Fours years of Criminal Justice in college led me to writing about many sensitive topics such as this....but truth is that to much money is invested into the prison system. Most people do not know about the billions of tax dollars being invested into these institutions which seem to spread more corruption than good. Out of all the groups in the prisons even with the higher amount of illegal immigrants the most feared/powerful influential groups in the prisons deals with the "White Supremacist" which make millions of dollars a year by keeping them selves inside the prison.

Richard Moschetti Jr is offline *** Certified
    Licensed Private Investigator, Retired LEO

Professional Member of:

The Criminal Justice System is broken. We arrest them. In 24-72 hours they're arraigned. They bond out and 1-2 years later they go to trial. Meanwhile for 1-2 years they're out selling drugs, robbing, and committing other crimes at the publics expense. If they qualify for a Desk Appearance Ticket, they're out before you can even finish the paperwork(ie.. property vouchers etc...)

Richard Moschetti Jr is offline *** Certified
    Licensed Private Investigator, Retired LEO

Professional Member of:

After working 23 years as a Police Officer and Corrections Officer I've seen how broken the system really is. It's sad that you have to sleep with a gun in your house for protection but that's what it's come down to. The Police can't sit in your driveway or in front of your house to protect you. They're so busy out there that by the time they get to your house your whole family could be dead. You have to protect you and your family.

Joy Gambrell - is offline Certified SPI

Hello Everyone,
    I agree with you all. Great comments! Well.. I have to say "Do The Crime/Do The Time". No early release, no good behavior, nothing. It is, what it is. The laws need to be more strict. Nobody should want to commit a crime, but yet the correctional facilities are over populated. If the law was 3 strikes, your out. There would be alot less criminal activity. Trust me! Lawmakers should be ashamed! Who can actually own up to coming up with this bright idea. Laying off prison guards & 7,000 drug dealers free. What is the justice system coming to. I understand that people don't know what's on the other side until they travel there. Those people are clueless to the consequences because it doesn't affect them or their immediate family. Security is tight! How about they give back some of the $ they make. Cut back some of their luxury's.
    I know you all have heard about how the inmates making weapons. I think they are in there getting smarter in their trade. They are learning how to conjure up something with very little. Some in jail are still committing crimes. Now you & I both know that with all the library resources and learning programs that are availible to them, they are learning how to beat the system. They claim to be rehabilitated. Until they get back on the streets & commit another violent crime & get away with it. Who do we blame? Rehabilitation- let's rehabilitate the kids, they deserve a chance. Murderers, rapist, peoples who commit crimes against children should be dealt with. 3 strikes, your out!
    As far as the jail itself. No I don't think we need to put our hard earned money feeding, clothing and supporting criminals. They don't need 3 meals aday. They don't need a gym, tv, cd's music,magazines, nothing. It's called jail. It's not a college dorm lock up!
    All I can say is that Security is going to be booming. Jump on the ban wagon now, cause when it hits the fan. Everybody's gonna need it. "Carlina" you say when & where. I'll be there.