Thread: taking money and not doing the job

taking money and not doing the job

today ,a friend of mine called me ,she was wandering when i would help her move some furniture for her.She was having some carpet installed ,she told me she had called them to ask and see when they were coming out and install the carpet,anyway,she had given them $900.00 to do the work .no response they shut there phone off,finally they contacted her ,told her they had a family problem in texas,and don't know if would have the time to do the work.i questiond her for any detailes ,igot the web site for the roc [registar of contractors] .i eventually contacted a relative ,i told them what was going on.He told me he had limited contact with his dad and brother ,he did manage to contact brother and told him some was trying to contact them ...i guess i have to wait to see what happens
    CRAIG S ROWE

Shaun Nichols is offline **
    Moderator (On Leave of Absence)

Distinguished Member - Private Investigators Forum

Re: taking money and not doing the job

Hello Craig,
    I am sorry that your friend is having a hard time right now. There are always a couple rules of thumb you can use when working with anyone.

#1. Always check the Better Business Bureau to make sure they are in good standing or do not have tons of outstanding complaints.

#2. Never give anyone any money up front for work not started.

#3. Never give anyone any money without a written contract describing exact price and job to be done.

#4. Never pay with cash and always get a receipt for your payment.

In todays world it is hard to trust anyone. There are many out there just looking for a quick dollar. Hopefully all will work out for your friend.

Lynne Knight is offline Certified Distinguished Member
    Private Investigators Forum

(Retired Moderator)
    Corporate Agency Member of:
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)

Great comment/advice here to Craig, (and to us all actually).

Thank you, Shaun, for this reminder!

Also when dealing with contractors dont feel intimidated cause you dont know about their profession.Ask for references and previous jobs to look at. I do carpentry on the side and I tell all potential clients that if they feel uneasy about the money then they can purchase the materials (with or without me present) have them delivered and then I start work.then you brake down labor payments according to completion. It is more of a hassle but initialy you will not be handing them a large amount of money. I know several people that has handed a carpenter a check for around 7,000$ for a garage or work to be done and puff gone.