Thread: APOSTLE James E. Faust Passes Away

Arrow APOSTLE James E. Faust Passes Away

(KSL News) President James E. Faust, second counselor in the First Presidency of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, died earlier today.

President Faust passed away at 12:20 this morning at his house surrounded by family. The cause is age-related. He was 87 years old.

He was set apart as second counselor to President Gordon B. Hinckley in 1995 after being an apostle for 16 years.

He was an attorney by profession. In 1948 he graduated from the University of Utah with a bachelor's and Juris Doctor degree. He began the practice of law in Salt Lake City and continued until his appointment as a general authority of the Church in 1972. He was an advisor to the American Bar Journal, and president of the Utah Bar Association from 1962 to 1963.

President Faust was a representative in the Utah Legislature, where he served as chairman of the House liquor investigation committee. He also served in the U.S. Army Air Corps during World War II.

President John F. Kennedy appointed him to the Lawyers' Committee for Civil Rights in 1962.

He served a mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Brazil.

In 1998 President Faust received a Brazilian national citizenship award. That honor is given only to a select few world leaders. He was awarded honorary citizenship of the city of Sao Paulo. That is something he was very proud of, because he loved the people of Brazil, had fond memories of his time there, and traveled there often.

He was born July 31, 1920, in Delta, Utah.

He is survived by his wife, Ruth, five children, 23 grandchildren and 10 great-grandchildren. President Faust would often mention his wife in his addresses to the church at large and to women of the church.

Known as a kind, gracious man, his colleagues say he never rushed to judgment, and always thought before he spoke. They remember that he was always nice to be around and had a charming sense of humor.

"I had the great honor of knowing President Faust fairly well and I have lost a dear friend," said Sen. Robert Bennett, R-Utah.

Bruce Olsen, managing director of Church Public Affairs, said this morning that President Faust's "gentle manner and depth of knowledge, which was an important part of his ministry for nearly 35 years, will be missed."

"He was a true Christian who spoke and wrote with wit and wisdom," Olsen said. "Many members of the Church loved his unique way of teaching the restored gospel of Jesus Christ at General Conference."

Olsen said that Church members around the world are calling to extend to President Faust's family their heartfelt condolences.

President Faust had been ailing for a couple of weeks.

His passing leaves a vacancy in the church's First Presidency and Quorum of the Twelve Apostles that will need to be filled at some point in time.

His most recent church assignments include vice chairman of the Church Board of Education; the board of trustees of Brigham Young University; the Welfare Services Executive Committee; and Deseret Management Corporation.

(The Associated Press and The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints contributed to this story)

Jerome O Isaac-- is offline Sr. Distinguished Member:
    Private Investigators Forum

2007 Honorary Ambassador of Good Will

Re: APOSTLE James E. Faust Passes Away

Greetings Cynthia, it's nice to see you as always, just wanted to say thank-you for posting this news of Mr Faust.

I will be praying for his immediate to find peace and comfort knowing that he will be with the Lord.

I can't say I've heard much about him prior to this but he will be missed greatly, I hope his good works will inspire others close to him to continue his ministry.

Thanks again.

Have a great day.