Thread: $10.00 Firearm Permit - No age requirements

David Copeland is offline Administrator
    Private Investigators Forum

Sponsored by:
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)

Arrow $10.00 Firearm Permit - No age requirements

Firearm Owner’s Identification (FOID) Card Application
    Use this application for obtaining a FOID card for the following reasons: new issue, renewal, expired card, lost or stolen card, or name and address change. Lost and stolen cards should be reported immediately to the customer service number listed below.

Most applications are processed within 30 days from the date your payment is processed at your financial institution. If you have not received a card or letter by the end of the 30 day processing period, you may contact a customer service representative at 217-782-7980, Monday through Friday from 8:30 am to 5:00 pm.

View/Download the Application in the following format: Adobe PDF Link

In 1968, Illinois enacted legislation to promote and protect the health, safety and welfare of the public by providing a system of identifying persons who are not qualified to acquire or possess firearms and firearm ammunition within the State of Illinois. The Firearm Owner's Identification (FOID) Act established a practical and workable system to identify persons prohibited by Section 24-3.1 of the "Criminal Code of 1961" as amended, from acquiring or possessing firearms and firearm ammunition. The Illinois State Police was given the responsibility of administering the Act.

There are approximately 1.2 million valid FOID card holders. Approximately 210,000-220,000 applications are processed annually by the Firearms Services Bureau. In 2002, 4,642 applications were denied and 6,926 FOID cards were revoked as a result of the extensive review process which identifies individuals whom are prohibited from possessing or acquiring firearms and firearm ammunition.

All Illinois residents who buy or possess firearms are required by law to have a valid FOID card. FOID applications can be obtained from any firearm's dealer, law enforcement agency, or printed from the Internet. To obtain a FOID card, complete an application and forward it along with a $10.00 fee and a photograph to the Illinois State Police, Firearm Owner's Identification Unit, Post Office Box 19233, Springfield, Illinois 62794-9233.

Not an Illinois Resident? If you do not have an Illinois State Drivers License, the current application offers an option to accept an Illinois State Identification Card (a substitute for not having an Illinois Drivers License). However, we encourage you to call their office FIRST to see whether they will accept your out-of-state drivers license before applying. Some changes have happened in state law that may restrict you from having more than one state ID.

INSTRUCTIONS:

1) Review the information at this link: www.isp.state.il.us/foid/

2) APPLY for your FOID CARD by going to this link: http://www.isp.state.il.us/foid/foidapp.cfm

3) You can also email FOID by clicking on this link: https://www.isp.state.il.us/foid/secure/foidinquiry.cfm

4) You can call their office at 217-782-7980 between 8:30 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. CST Monday through Friday.

Is this firearm card only for the state of Illinois?? I am going to be moving back to California, was just wondering??

Mark Buda - is offline Licensed Private Investigator

Member of the Private Investigators Forum
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenlin Ogwaro
    Is this firearm card only for the state of Illinois?? I am going to be moving back to California, was just wondering??
    It is good for IL only. Go to www.carryconcealed.net/ to get information on CCW for all states.

mark

thankyou for sharing. I will go under the site.

Thanks for the website because I have a license to carry, but I now live in another county within Pennsylvania. So, I will probably need to update or my information within my current county or apply for a new license. Either way, at least I have a lead as to how to go about getting what I need done. Overall, I have to make sure I am doing things correctly.

Many Thanks,

Myra D. Price

Rajohn A Mann is offline Lifetime Corporation Member

Corporate Agency Member of:
    i went to packing.org page could not be displayed i live in pa dont have acard but have 3 firearms please advise i do not need to get in trouble i purchased them @a gunshow and have papers saying i brought them but i think i need that card what now thank you

Keith Dukes is offline ** Certified

Licensed Private Investigator
    Graduate: IPIU Fugitive Recovery - Bounty Hunter Program
    Member: International Private Investigatrors Union (IPIU)
    Is the FOID permit for non-resident also?
    I live in Michigan & I have my CCW here, am
    I able to receive this permit?

Is this card good in the state of Michigan? Atrhur

Another good site to visit is( www.Handgunlaw.us )for info on carrying a firearm.

David Palmer is offline Licensed Private Investigator
    Private Investigator Forum Member

Professional Management Member of:
    I would like to see a Federal CCW card that costs 5 bucks. I know I am dreaming but it is OK to dream right?

Richard Moschetti Jr is offline *** Certified
    Licensed Private Investigator, Retired LEO

Professional Member of:

Re: $5.00 Firearm Permit - No age requirements

Florida's Concealed Weapons License is good in 39 states.

Professional Member of:
    I'm still currently in Law Enforcement and with my badge and ID card can carry in all 50 states.

William Brassfield is offline Moderator::
    (On Leave of Absence)

Sr. Distinguished Member:
    Member since 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Buda View Post
    Go to www.packing.org to get information on CCW for all states.
    This link appears to be no longer working (it may only be a temporary glitch)

Here is another link:
    http://www.carryconcealed.net/

Charles January is offline Lifetime Professional Management Member

*** Certified SPI

This is good information if you live in illinois

Professional Member of:
    I'm currently a retired Law Enforcement Officer in Florida. With my retired ID and annual qualifications card I can carry concealed in all 50 states and it's territories without a concealed weapons license. This is under HB218.

Matthew Sage - is offline Lifetime Professional Management Member

Hey Keith,
    How are the CCW Laws in Michigan? I live in California and its a 00000 out here. 2 years wait and roughly $350 in processing fee's.
    So, Im trying to find a state that I can get my CCW license through with the least amount of hoops to jump through.
    Any feed back you may have I will be greatful.
    Matt Sage

Shaun Stewart is offline Private Investigator Forum Member

2012 Former Member of:
    i live in ohio, can i get a foid card with an ohio address?

Re: $10.00 Firearm Permit - No age requirements

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun Stewart View Post
    i live in ohio, can i get a foid card with an ohio address?
    I have revised and updated Post #1 above with new instructions:

http://www.ipiu.org/forums/showthrea...532#post427532

In the above link are the new instructions. If you download the application from their web site, you will see they are asking for an Illinois State ID card (if you do not have an Illinois Drivers License).

In order to obtain either the Illinois Drivers License of the Illinois State ID Card, you need to be a resident of Illinois.

More here:
    http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/pu...s/dsd_x173.pdf

Some states permit out-of-state residents to obtain their state ID card without giving up their out-of-state license. This allows an out-of-state resident to have a secondary state issued ID when they are visiting another state and wish to have it for writing checks and so forth.

However, since Homeland Security began we have seen many states discontinue issuing a State ID to an out-of-state driver because they want the driver to relinquish their drivers license by obtaining new residency in the new state.

Arizona issues State ID cards without any proof you are a resident:
    http://www.dmv.org/az-arizona/id-cards.php

Arizona issues drivers licenses for a period of 25 years, while most states issue drivers licenses for 5 years. Arizona recognizes that many of its residents leave the state in the summer time and reside in northern states where it is cooler until the winter when they return. However, Montana no longer issues Arizona drivers a Montana State ID. They wish to have the Arizona drivers switch over their drivers license every year (which they refuse to do). So there are some new aspects of state law where you have to abide by their laws, and find other solutions.
    Legal Affairs comments are not intended to be and should absolutely not be taken as legal advice. If you should require legal, tax, or financial advice, you must first enter into a written agreement with only a licensed professional for legal, tax, or financial services, signed by both you and the licensed professional, and paid a retainer in good funds. Legal Affairs is not, nor intends to be, nor solicits to be your licensed professional. Members accessing comments by Legal Affairs are required to be bound by their Terms of Use Agreement regarding Legal Affairs.

I too have foid card in Illinois, funny had it for 20 some years now, but orginally had it for hunting. Never carried or had need to use it in another state. Communication sometimes goes along way.

FOID is useless unless you are going to purchase a gun in Illinois... it has absolutely no other real value.