Thread: Is there a National PI license?

Is there a National PI license?

Is there a National PI license that you can get that will minimize having to get licensed in states that require one? Or will I have to apply to each individual state for a license. I am interested in taking cases in all of the states, not just the one I am living in.

Re: National PI license?

Quote Originally Posted by Barbara Bey
    Is there a National PI license that you can get that will minimize having to get licensed in states that require one?
    1) There is no government PI License that is good in all 50 states. There is reciprocity between many states which recognize other state licenses.

Go to the following link for a list:
    http://www.ipiu.org/forums/showthrea...087#post151087

2) The PI Union License is recognized worldwide for all unregulated cases where agencies or employers may wish to have evidence of a third-party ID card.

Although the PI Union License is not a government license, it is monitored for potential unlawful conduct by IPIU.

But if you obtain one particular state PI License, other states, such as your home state of Florida, will recognize it.

I am interested in taking cases in all of the states, not just the one I am living in.
    Most classes are the same from state to state. What may be different are the statutes.

In Arkansas the PI License exam is only based on the Arkansas PI Statutes, which is easy to study. Once you get your Arkansas PI License, it is good in many other (not all) states.

Check out each state licensing topic in the following forum:
    http://www.ipiu.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=31

Cynthia Ford
    Administrator - IPIU
    ----------

Question Re: National PI license?

Can you get an Arizona license even if you dont live there?Thank you for your prompt response.

David Copeland is offline Administrator
    Private Investigators Forum

Sponsored by:
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)

Can you get an Arizona license even if you dont live there?Thank you for your prompt response.
    Please review the Arizona PI Licensing Topic in this forum for the download links and requirements.

Also, for INTERNATIONAL DRIVER'S PERMIT: Application Details Link
    David Copeland
    Administrator
    Private Investigators Forums

START WITH TRUST
    When you see the Better Business Bureau Seal, it means the
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU) has agreed to:

TELL THE TRUTH, KEEP ITS PROMISES, BE RESPONSIVE
    www.ipiu.org | IPIU Web Store
    Official BBB Accreditation Link | Contact IPIU
    Founded in 1989 - Celebrating our 32nd Year Serving 48,373 Members

CONTACT LINK HERE TO JOIN IPIU

for FL pi;s

Private Investigator Reciprocity
    Florida has entered into reciprocity agreements with several other states, clearing the way for private investigators licensed in Florida to conduct business in those states. Similarly, investigators in those states that are parties to these agreements have the right to pursue investigations in Florida.

These agreements are intended to facilitate the investigative process. For example, an investigator initiating a case in one of the reciprocity states can now follow the case across state lines into other reciprocity states until that investigation is successfully concluded without having to obtain a license in those states.

This reciprocity initiative benefits both the private investigative industry and the general public by eliminating unnecessary bureaucratic oversight and reducing operating expenses for investigative agencies.

Provisions of the Reciprocity Agreements
    An investigator may conduct business outside his or her home state only under the circumstances indicated below.

The investigation must be initiated in the investigator's home state.
    The investigator may spend no more than 30 days Per Case while conducting an investigation in another state. (Note the exceptions below!)
    The investigator is prohibited from soliciting business while in another state and from establishing a business or setting up residence while conducting an investigation in that state.
    List of Reciprocity States
    The following states have mutually agreed to recognize the right of private investigators to conduct interstate business:

California
    Georgia
    Louisiana
    North Carolina
    Oklahoma
    Tennessee*
    Virginia

* Note:

Tennessee limits the amount of time an out-of-state investigator may spend conducting an investigation to NO MORE THAN 15 DAYS per case.

Questions regarding PI reciprocity can be directed to: Mr. Art Varnadore, Chief - Bureau of Regulation and Enforcement, in Tallahassee, Florida (850-245-5499).

Visit the IASIR webpage at www.IASIR.org.

Thank you so much for your information. It has really helped me alot. Now I know which states I dont have to pursue a license in. By the way that also goes for your concealed weapons license also (Not to get off topic). I was wondering if you had similar information in regards to which states we are allowed to carry a concealed weapon that are in reciprocity agreements with Florida?

http://doacs.state.fl.us/

everything you may need to know about any kind of license is located here , also forms for downloading..

Diana Fleischman is offline Private Investigator Forum Member

Professional Management Member of:

Cynthia,

If we are a P.I. Trainee (out of state) and purchase the Colorado Gold Program we then may take cases in all 50 states correct?

I also understand owning the P.I. Agency online will enable us to keep track of our hours accrued for the state board testing for the State License correct?

From reading about the Colorado Gold Program we are allowed to advertise as a Private Investigator and take cases all over the world correct? since we will be on the world wide web (Internet) correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Diana Fleischman
    Cynthia,

If we are a P.I. Trainee (out of state) and purchase the Colorado Gold Program we then may take cases in all 50 states correct?

I also understand owning the P.I. Agency online will enable us to keep track of our hours accrued for the state board testing for the State License correct?

From reading about the Colorado Gold Program we are allowed to advertise as a Private Investigator and take cases all over the world correct? since we will be on the world wide web (Internet) correct?
    Diana,

You have some very good questions, but this topic is titled "National PI License?" - which Cynthia memntioned there is no such thing.

To best answer all of your licensing questions about what is regulated and what is not regulated, you need to ask your licensing questions in the Ohio Topic for PI Licensing.

To do so,
    1. Go to the Main Forum Page at www.ipiu.org/forums
    2. Then go to the Licensing Laws Forum
    3. Then click on the Licensing Laws Only-Private Investigators Forum
    4. Then look for your home state topic titled PI LICENSING OHIO.
    5. Then ask your licensing questions in that topic.

Thank you for your support.

Diana Fleischman is offline Private Investigator Forum Member

Professional Management Member of:

Dear Tech Support,

I aploigize that I over looked Cynthias answer however, these forums are very confusing if there is no such license then why is the "topic" at the "top" entitled "Nationa P.I. License? this is why I misunderstood and started posting questions concerning the topic at the topic.

Sponsored by:

Quote Originally Posted by Diana Fleischman
    ... if there is no such license then why is the "topic" at the "top" entitled "Nationa P.I. License?
    That is what each individual topic is... a question about some thing, some one, some service, some product, some comment.

In this case the topic title was authored "National PI License? , meaning "Is there a national PI License?"

So to make the title more clear, I have retitled it.

But what we do not want to do is mix various titles and questions in the same topic.

Luke A Slowik is offline *
    Moderator (Retired)

Former Law Enforcement Officer
    Distinguished Member: Private Investigators Forum

Hi Everyone.
    Does anyone know where I would go to find out the requirements to become a licensed PI in the state of Illinois? I am looking for one source that provides the info and any forms/applications that I have to fill out.
    Thanks in advance for your help!

Sponsored by:

Quote Originally Posted by Luke A Slowik
    Hi Everyone.
    Does anyone know where I would go to find out the requirements to become a licensed PI in the state of Illinois? I am looking for one source that provides the info and any forms/applications that I have to fill out.
    Thanks in advance for your help!
    1. Go to the Main Forum Page at www.ipiu.org/forums
    2. Then go to the Licensing Laws Forum
    3. Then click on the Licensing Laws Only-Private Investigators Forum
    4. Then look for your home state topic titled PI LICENSING ILLINOIS.
    5. Then ask your licensing questions in that topic.

Luke A Slowik is offline *
    Moderator (Retired)

Former Law Enforcement Officer
    Distinguished Member: Private Investigators Forum

Re: Is there a National PI license?

Sorry about that. I'll make sure that I post in the correct forum.

Thank you for the information in this topic, I knew about my state but I learned some more about other states.

When you sign up for the license in Colorado from IPIU do you get a license from IPIU or what?

Quote Originally Posted by Herman Polen Sr View Post
    When you sign up for the license in Colorado from IPIU do you get a license from IPIU or what?
    IPIU handles everything. They obtain all of the state PI Agency Corporation Licenses, the Registered Corporation Agent, the Corporate Seals, and everything detailed in the following secured credit card link:
    http://www.privateinvestigators.cc/p...oducts_id=1584

Before you purchase the Member's Only price in the above link, you will need to become a PI Union Member. Choose any of the annual union plans from the following link:

http://www.privateinvestigators.cc/index.php?cPath=67

Union membership alone will save you hundreds of dollars.

Or, call 800-548-1526 and ask for Tim.

George Dakkak - is offline Certified SPI
    Private Investigators Forums Member

2007-2013 Professional Management Member of:

police officeres know as much of our business then they know on how to build nuclear reactors , they don't cover this in any police academy

George Dakkak - is offline Certified SPI
    Private Investigators Forums Member

2007-2013 Professional Management Member of:

with the colorado corperation license you can take cases any where in the world just keep a LOW profile don't speak unless spoke to don't go to wild parties don't talk to any one unless they are a lead and DO NOT !!! attract attention to your self . if your on surveillance and the police catch you get a card and show it to them do NOT answer questions do not be abrasive or rude tell the officer you had nothing to drink and have not taken any drugs .

Florida seems to be the best way to go to get the most bang for your buck, and the fact they have Reciprocity with California is a big treat. I think it is important for Local PI's to make contact with the Licensing authority to work on getting better Reciprocity.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry W Monasmith View Post
    Florida seems to be the best way to go to get the most bang for your buck, and the fact they have Reciprocity with California is a big treat. I think it is important for Local PI's to make contact with the Licensing authority to work on getting better Reciprocity.
    We have a link to reciprocity here:
    http://www.ipiu.org/forums/showthrea...493#post427493

Cynthia Ford
    Administrator - IPIU
    ----------