Thread: www.paypal-accounts.com is a PHONY WEB SITE!

David Copeland is offline Administrator
    Private Investigators Forum

Sponsored by:
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)

Arrow www.paypal-accounts.com is a PHONY WEB SITE!

WARNING!

Yes,

A new spam email that is being sent is trying to fool you into identity theft
    by sending you to www.paypal-accounts.com which is a PHONY WEB SITE!

Go here:

http://www.ipiu.org/forums/showthread.php?p=248323

And here:
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...l-accounts.com
    David Copeland
    Administrator
    Private Investigators Forums

START WITH TRUST
    When you see the Better Business Bureau Seal, it means the
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU) has agreed to:

TELL THE TRUTH, KEEP ITS PROMISES, BE RESPONSIVE
    www.ipiu.org | IPIU Web Store
    Official BBB Accreditation Link | Contact IPIU
    Founded in 1989 - Celebrating our 32nd Year Serving 48,373 Members

CONTACT LINK HERE TO JOIN IPIU

Melanie Kozik - is offline Private Investigator Forum Member

2007 - 2008 Member of:
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)

Re: www.paypal-accounts.com is a PHONY WEB SITE!

ANYTHING, I repeat, ANYTHING but:

https://www.paypal.com

is NOT secure paypal - (PLEASE note the *s* in the https)

Melanie

===================

Quote Originally Posted by David Copeland View Post
    WARNING!

Yes,

A new spam email that is being sent is trying to fool you into identity theft
    by sending you to www.paypal-accounts.com which is a PHONY WEB SITE!

Go here:

http://www.ipiu.org/forums/showthread.php?p=248323

And here:
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...l-accounts.com

Adelaida B Cucuta - is offline Certified SPI

Private Investigator Union Member of IPIU
    Licensed Private Investigator (CC2800463)

Are you saying paypal is no good?

thank you so much for the website it is very helpfull.

Shaun Nichols is offline **
    Moderator (On Leave of Absence)

Distinguished Member - Private Investigators Forum

Quote Originally Posted by Adelaida B Cucuta View Post
    Are you saying paypal is no good?
    They are not saying paypal.com is no good. They are saying the website www.paypal-accounts.com is not a good website. As long as you type in the real paypal address you will be ok. Paypal is so widely used there is someone everyday trying to come up with a new phising site.

Adelaida B Cucuta - is offline Certified SPI

Private Investigator Union Member of IPIU
    Licensed Private Investigator (CC2800463)

Thanks for the info

badge 11573

William J Withers is offline Private Investigator Forum Member
    Former Law Enforcement Officer

Member of the International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)

I know this is a fairly old post, but I wanted to pull it up from the grave to comment on something that had just happened to me this week.

I recieved an email the other day from Paypal stating that they had frozen my account. I had an inkling that the message was legit because part of the message said to go to Paypal's website (said go to the website, was not hyperlinked) and log in to see what is wrong, and not to reply to the email, etc.

I hand logged into Paypal (by typing the address into Firefox) and found that my account was indeed restricted. The comment on the main page was "we have detected unusual activity from a credit card linked to your paypal account" and asked me to verify information on file... I was dubious, even though it was on paypals Green Lighted SSL page. So I sent them an email. Obviously for confidentiality purposes I can't post the email, but I can give you a few excerpts as to why my account was frozen.

"When we limited your account, we looked at different factors including: Information we collect internally and sometimes from other users."
    "PayPal's tools, processes, and information that monitor our payment network are confidential and proprietary."
    Meaning they have some sort of algorithm that takes your information and determines whether it's suspicious or not, and they don't have to tell you how they arrived at that conclusion.

"Generally, we place limitations on an account to learn more about you, your account activity or your transactions."
    So what this tells me, is they can look out someone's account, on a whim and poke their nose into your business, for any reason they feel, or because an alledged piece of software told them to, which because it's "proprietary" they don't even have to prove exists.

"If you would like to obtain copies of the information we reviewed in deciding to place a limitation on your account, you will need to obtain a court order or subpoena."
    This was my favorite line in the rambling message they sent me. Maybe Legal can shed some light on this. Why am I required to have a court order to obtain what is essentially MY personal information? Ok, they have a secret piece of code that red flagged my account, I am not interested in HOW my account became red flagged, I am interested in WHY it did. My bank statements, credit card transactions and purchase and sales activities are just that, MINE. Since they are telling me that a recent credit card transaction caused me to get red flagged, shouldn't that fall under the FCRA? I know Paypal is not a bank, but they WERE withholding my funds, I think I deserve an explanation why.

This has since been corrected, my account is full again, however I have still not heard of an explanation as to why they did it, other than the quote above that says they felt like it.

I have had a lot of problems with Paypal over the years, never so much as since when eBay took it over, allegations of double-dipping on transaction fees, withholding funds during quarterly reports to make it look like profit, etc. I just wanted to give everyone that uses Paypal a heads-up that they can freeze your assets with them arbitrarily under the guise of "suspicious activity" according to the User Agreement

Bill,

I have a paypal account, and I was able to fix an issue last year by calling their toll free live support number.

You can get faster service by doing the following:

1. Go to www.paypal.com and log into your account

2. Once your account page comes up, go to the bottom of the page and click on CONTACT

3. Choose the option to CALL them.

4. On the next screen they will give you a special PIN number that is only good for 1 hour. Be ready to use the PIN number when you dial the toll free number they give you.
    I am confident you will get a better solution by first talking to someone.

Cynthia Ford
    Administrator - IPIU
    ----------

William J Withers is offline Private Investigator Forum Member
    Former Law Enforcement Officer

Member of the International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)

Thanks for the tip, they have since corrected the problem, but I have had no satisfaction with getting a why to the problem. I have talked to their phone service only once in the past (years ago) and got the typical outsourced responses. I HAVE heard they are working on improving their customer service, I hope it is true. When eBay ends up in the tank, I am afraid of Paypal going with it. I have a business account with them, because it is the best source for accepting credit card payments that is around right now, I don't wish to terminate my business with them, but at the same time I can't have them freezing my account because they feel like it.

I will try giving them a call and see if maybe someone on the phone can shed some light on it.