Thread: Private Investigator/Bondsman MI

Michael Barney Guest

Private Investigator/Bondsman MI

Does anyone know of the restrictions of a private investigator and Bondsman in MI? And as a investigator trainee can you participate in fugitive apprehention?

GREAT LAKES STATE

You may want to check with Mr. Fugate at http://www.usftf.com/vsi He original started out in Michigan and is now in Va.

I'm sure he can help.

~Mark
    Mark E. Parsons
    Fugitive Recovery Agent

Since 1992

Michael,

If you have at least three years of experience in Law Enforcement you may apply with the state for you P.I. License, otherwise you have to take classes to get your license. As far as Fugitive Recovery, there are no licensing requirements in Mi, however I do recommend you attend a weekend seminar (Chicago was the closest I could find) to get some inside tips and legal updates prior to getting started. I'm a former Police Officer in Mi and still attended the seminar. It never hurts to listen and learn, especially when legalities are involved. Best of luck and if you have any further questions I will do my best to help you out.

Distinguished Member:
    Private Investigators Forum Member
    Clay,

Please privately email me the information on available seminars for the Michigan area. Kandy@IPIU.org

Thank you.

Smile a ha

and me as well please

John Sanderson is offline Lifetime Member

Corporate Agency Member of:
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)

Re: Private Investigator/Bondsman MI

I have done some research, and the results, as provided by the state web site are as follows:

This quote has been pasted from:
    http://www.michigan.gov/dleg/0,1607,...39--,00.html#2

How do I become a bounty hunter (skip tracer)?
    A license is not required in Michigan to become a bounty hunter or skip tracer. However, if your work is related to professional investigation or the collection industry you may require a license as either a Collection Agency or a Professional Investigator, which are licensed through the Bureau of Commercial Services at 517-241-9288.