Thread: To Verify IPIU Member is in Good Standing

To Verify IPIU Member is in Good Standing

POLICY & PROCEDURE:

INTRODUCTION:
    To Verify IPIU Member is in Good Standing:
    From time to time union members may need to present themselves as a member-in-good standing to potential employers, government agencies, etc. Second-party verification is appropriate.

WHAT IS A MEMBER-IN-GOOD-STANDING?:
    • No pending or unresolved actions by the IPIU Board of Ethics
    • No pending or unresolved known actions or notifications received by law enforcement or courts
    • No pending or unresolved client or other complaints against member
    • Member has Level 4 Access
    • Member is current in union dues
    • Member has shown evidence of sustaining their Oath

FIRST METHOD:

YOUR PRIVATE INVESTIGATOR CREDENTIALS EXPIRED?
    Although in most cases members do not need to request IPIU to issue a document to attest that their union affilation is in good standing, their union photo-credentials have an issue date and an expiration date.

However, if a member has been charged with violating their signed Code of Ethics and has been expelled from the union without the return of their photo-credentials, then a potential employer may wish to verify the member's current data file shows the member is still in-good-standing by emailing legal.affairs@ipiu.org

SECOND METHOD:

MEMBER IN-GOOD-STANDING LETTER
    Potential employers and others may request a document from IPIU to attest that the named member is in good-standing. The following is the correct procedure:
    1. Using the employer's letterhead (or if the request is from a government agency, the agency's official letterhead will suffice), the contact person should fax their letter of request to the current USA-Canadian fax number where all international member records are retained.

To determine the current USA-Canadian fax number, visit our home page at www.ipiu.org and choose the link titled CONTACT IPIU.

2. The letter of request should have:
      1. The full name of the person providing the request
      2. Their email address
      3. Their telephone number
      4. Their general telephone number to verify they have the authority to make such a request.

3. The letter of request should have a full copy of the member's application for employment (both sides), which includes the member's release and agreement to permit the employer (or government agency) to request 2nd party verification of the member's record of good standing.

Exception: Some government clearances do not permit full copies of the original employment application. Therefore, each government letter of request will be handled on a case-by-case basis to comply with their request where local laws must be met.

4. Confirmed and validated letters of request are usually handled within 10 to 20 days, depending on the findings of the member's record.

5. All email inquiries should be directed to the Legal Affairs Department at legal.affairs@ipiu.org .

David Copeland is offline Administrator
    Private Investigators Forum

Sponsored by:
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)
    This policy is still current.

The International Private Investigators Union (IPIU) since founded in 1989 over seventeen years ago has updated its Oath, Code of Ethics, & Mission Statement over the years.

No other private investigators association in the world requires more of its union and fraternal members when sustaining their personal Oath & Code of Ethics.

The Oath & Code of Ethics are not an easy laid-back approach to the seriousness of supporting each other through prosperous times as well as difficult times.

IPIU is certainly not for every private investigator, but with over 50,000 union members worldwide - we feel we are supporting and sustaining those who cont the most - those that live their Oath through their words, actions, and deeds.

Does IPIU ever ban members? Yes, but very rarely. And most banned members return to correct the original reasons they were banned and have made amends. But the process of banning is private and confidential so that the member will have that option of reinstatement available to them at a later time.

Does IPIU ever openly criticize anyone or any organization regardless of their deserving such criticism? Answer: No. It is IPIU's best interest to concentrate all of its resources on supporting and sustaining its members and the Mission Statement, not chasing down the few critics it has. If anything, there will always be critic. Understanding their motives is key to the factual truth.

Below is a link to the unsolicited Testimonial Site where thousands of IPIU members, using their real names and real locations, have posted their comments of how IPIU has served them:

http://www.ipiu.org/forums/forumdisp...aysprune=&f=48

Dan MacPhee is offline * Certified
    Private Investigator Forum Member

Professional Management Member of:
    David,
    Thanks for the guidance on this issue!!

I like the fact that IPIU offers a letter of Member in Good Standing ..It will definietly strenghting our resume's in the future
    Badge #11265

This is an outstanding asset to add to our resumes, Thanks so much IPIU!

Omar Castro is offline ** Certified

Sr. Member - Private Investigators Forum:
    Union Member of the International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)

Crystal Clear!

Thanks, I have been awaiting these methods of being able to have anyone retrieve information on a member in good standing.
    Thank you IPIU.

Sherri Coffman - is offline Private Investigator Forum Member

Union Member of International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)

I think this is my first visit to this thread...

Hi everyone. I am checking each forum out and reading the information in them. Newcomer here.

Sherri Coffman

Member in Good Standing Policy

I am glad I came to this thread. I need to know all of our policies. Thanks for all of the guidance.

Sherri Coffman

fyi..i called up because i was interested in getting a letter for a current job application...the lady said they only give letters out to corporations..not individuals....

Alan J Krutz comment "Member in Good Standing"

Hi Alan,

I didn't know that it had to be a corporation or company. I thought we could personally ask for one ourselves. Does this mean that if one should put this in ones resume, the company you are applying to is the one who can request the Letter? I do hope someone can clarify this if you can Alan? I really need to know. Ok.

God bless you.
    Sherri Coffman

Robert Munson is offline **

Moderator (On Leave of Absence)
    Distinguished Member - Private Investigators Forum
    Sherri,

As the original post states
    Using the employer's letterhead (or if the request is from a government agency, the agency's official letterhead will suffice), the contact person should fax their letter of request to the current USA-Canadian fax number where all international member records are retained.
    So as I read it the request must come from the potential employer.
    Robert J. Munson

Joy Gambrell - is offline Certified SPI
    Private Investigator Forum Member

Professional Management Member of:

Re: To Verify IPIU Member is in Good Standing

This is a real asset to all the members. IPIU are the best!

Kevin Urbanczyk-- is offline *** (E)
    PI Agency Corporation Owner

Professional Management Member:

Re: To Verify IPIU Member is in Good Standing

Now the Banner on our websites also do an automatic "Good-standing" verification check, right?

Just making sure, cause I made sure I wanted the banner with my site.