Thread: Philadelphia may evict Boy Scouts council over policy on gays

David Copeland is offline Administrator
    Private Investigators Forum

Sponsored by:
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)
    Philadelphia may evict Boy Scouts council over policy on gays

PHILADELPHIA (AP) — The city said it will evict a Boy Scout council from its publicly owned headquarters or make the group pay a fair rent price unless it changes its policy on gays.
    The Boy Scouts' Cradle of Liberty Council, the country's third-largest, has been battling with the city for more than three years over the policy, which like the national Scouts organization forbids gays from being leaders.

City Solicitor Romulo L. Diaz Jr. wrote a letter to William T. Dwyer III, president of the Cradle of Liberty Council, stating that the council's "discriminatory policies" violate city policy and law, and that city officials have not been assured the group will not discriminate.

Unless the city gets a "fair-market rent agreement," the council will be evicted, the letter says.

The group has made its headquarters on a half-acre owned by the city in the upscale Philadelphia Art Museum area since 1928, when the city council voted to allow the Scouts to use the property rent-free "in perpetuity." The Scouts pay for building upkeep.

Council spokesman Jeff Jubelirer questioned the timing of the city's move.

"With an epidemic of gun violence taking the lives of Philadelphia's children every day, it is ironic the administration chose this time to destroy programming that services 40,000 children in the city," Jubelirer said.

Stacey Sobel, executive director of Philadelphia's Center for Lesbian and Gay Civil Rights, said she's pleased the city is taking action.

"If they are going to discriminate, the taxpayers shouldn't be subsidizing it," Sobel said.

The Boy Scouts of America's policy on gay leaders was upheld by the U.S. Supreme Court in 2000.

In 2003, the council in Philadelphia said it would adopt a non-discrimination policy on gays. However, weeks later the group dismissed an 18-year-old Scout who publicly acknowledged he was gay.

Dwyer did not immediately return a message Saturday from The Associated Press, and a phone rang unanswered at the organization's national headquarters in Texas.

Source:
    http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/...a-scouts_x.htm

PERSONAL OPINION/DISCUSSION:
    In my opinion, this is going too far. I am not going to allow my 12 year old son to camp in a tent with a gay Boy Scout!

I am not going to allow my son to camp with any gay adult scout leader!

I am not going to allow my son to be taught the Boy Scout Moral Code by a gay scout leader or another gay Boy Scout Patrol Leader!

I do not believe that the founders of America and Canada ever envisioned that gay scout leaders would encourage boys to be Boy Scouts.

Otherwise, I guess its okay to allow a hetro boy to be a member of a girl scout patrol and camp with my daughter!

In one word, s i c k!

David Copeland is offline Administrator

Sponsored by:

Lynne Knight is offline Certified Distinguished Member

(Retired Moderator)
    Corporate Agency Member of:
    David, I most definitely agree with you.

That cartoon really wraps it up - eh?

John G - is offline Retired Forum Moderator

Private Investigators Forums
    Sponsored by the International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)
    I don't like the Boy Scouts being forced to accomodate those who are homosexual men in their ranks as leaders and as scouts. The Boy Scouts are a PRIVATE organization, which means they should have total discretion on who may become a scout and a scout leader. They do have the right to govern who may join their ranks. If you want homosexuals given equal treatment, find an organization that is publically funded. Boy Scouts is not publically funded, but charges annual dues for membership. Money talks, ******** walks.

Johnny

I totally agree. If I wanted my son to be exposed to that type of atmosphere I would buy stock in The Blue Oyster Bar and put him in leather pants. That situation scares me to think that a city would condone a camping trip led a gay male. Why don't we just allow the weird loner guy down the street take our sons around the block in his van. That at least wouold save time and money. It is appalling.