Thread: Anybody know where to get a FREE CASH GRANT or business loan to start a PI business?

Talking grant

does anybody know where to get a business loan or grant in tn to start a pi business.

Donna Reagan is offline Administrator
    Private Investigators Forum

Licensed Private Investigator
    DHS Certified
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Pleasant
    does anybody know where to get a business loan or grant in tn to start a pi business.
    Yes, Robert - the entire Grant Library Kit is now available at the PI Bookstore, and for Management Members they get 25% OFF (Preferred Members get 10% OFF).

Go here:
    http://www.privateinvestigators.cc/p...oducts_id=1355

• 6 hours of audio and 2 hours of video full of instructional lessons that will show you how to get grants quicker and easier.

• Get the book, the CD of sample applications and 6-hour Audio and 2-hour Video all for Members Discount!

• IPIU Guaranteed!

Donna Reagan
    Licensed Private Investigator
    DHS Certified

START WITH TRUST
    When you see the Better Business Bureau Seal, it means the
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU) has agreed to:

TELL THE TRUTH, KEEP ITS PROMISES, BE RESPONSIVE
    www.ipiu.org | IPIU Web Store
    Official BBB Accreditation Link | Contact IPIU
    Founded in 1989 - Celebrating our 32nd Year Serving 48,373 Members

CONTACT LINK HERE TO JOIN IPIU

Vicki McCarthy - is offline Private Investigator Forum Member

Member of International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)

Red face Re: Anybody know where to get a FREE CASH GRANT or business loan to start a PI business?

There are hundreds of sources, all you need to do is practice a little investigative talent. Search the internet, it will be good practice for you. The book set in the IPIU book store are a great source also.

David Palmer is offline Licensed Private Investigator
    Private Investigator Forum Member

Professional Management Member of:
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)

Re: Anybody know where to get a FREE CASH GRANT or business loan to start a PI business?

Hi Robert, I used a business named prosper.com to get a loan to start a private police business. I got a decent rate and paid off my loan several months ago. What I really liked is that the loan was granted by a bunch of participants, not a normal bank, it was based on my credit and how I pitched my idea. I think it is worth looking into and I may take a new loan should I need a bunch of start-up capital for my new PI business. Good luck and Best Wishes,

Dave

Shaun Nichols is offline **
    Moderator (On Leave of Absence)

Distinguished Member - Private Investigators Forum

Re: Anybody know where to get a FREE CASH GRANT or business loan to start a PI business?

I think the most important thing was mentioned by Dave. He said he "pitched his idea." Most of the time people lending the money want to see a detailed business plan. I have heard of cases where they would like to see up to 35 years worth of predicted profits. Some of this can be tricky just do your homework and yo will find the ones that work best for you.

Stephen Douglass is offline **

Lightbulb Re: Anybody know where to get a FREE CASH GRANT or business loan to start a PI business?

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun Nichols View Post
    I think the most important thing was mentioned by Dave. He said he "pitched his idea." Most of the time people lending the money want to see a detailed business plan. I have heard of cases where they would like to see up to 35 years worth of predicted profits. Some of this can be tricky just do your homework and yo will find the ones that work best for you.
    A good business plan isn't really for the banks. They are just looking to see if you have knowledge in what you are trying to do. A solid business plan should be good for 3-5 years and on year 3 should be revised.

This is to see if you are on track with your goals, is the Eco Threshold (micro-v-macro economics) at it's capacity? Do you need to implement more/less services? Are you meeting the demands and long term goals of your clients?

A 35 year plan and forecast is simply unrealistic, especially since many people retire from their chosen field after 20.
    Current data shows that the average 49 year old male has changed professions at least 8-10 times in there working life.

There are investors, like Angel Network, that are philanthropist in nature. They may require projections and forecasts, they may not if you are established and know what your needs are directly.

I personally would recommend having a 3 year plan established, and revisit it periodically to help guide you in a solid direction.

These are just my personal observations, I would strongly recommend seeking the SBA, or at the very least a business counselor with your local government, or lending institution.

Stephen

Many townships and villages have Economic Development grants available to them from either Federal or State systems. Some have revolving loan or grant moneys for small and medium businesses, both start up and established. Start with your towns Economic Development Office and begin asking questions.

There are also zoning grants/loans for EDO from the state level, and for that you could contact your local small business development office, the Chamber of Commerce, or your states employment office may also be able to help you.

Smaller Savings And Loan banks and other lending institutions may have a revolving credit program for small business projects and may have better pay off rates.

I previously mentioned Angel Network and there are other philanthropic establishments out there, many of whom are business owners themselves. These can be a harder sell and you'll certainly be scrutinized much more deeply.

Another avenue is award and prize moneys. your chances aren't what you would think them to be, but some companies, industry and trade organizations, and other sources hold competitions and award prizes, money, improvement awards (office supplies) for the winnings. As an example, a good friend of mine who does historical pottery recreations recently competed for top local small business award through a Nationally recognized craft magazine. The award is a $10,000.00 check for capital improvements. She intends to purchase a kiln and have a draft line installed by the electric company. Even if she does not win, there is an upside: National recognition: FREE ADVERTISING. The traffic to her website increased in only three days, and she has had inquiries from a company who supplies exact historical items to movie companies.

John Sanderson is offline Lifetime Member

Corporate Agency Member of:

There was an addition to the forums regarding small business support some time ago, regarding business plans, grants, and loans. Prior to obtaining a grant or loan you'll need a business plan. Incorporating a business beforehand is helpful, but not required.

I would highly recommend to those interested, learning the process of applying for grants yourself. If you go to a company which offers grant applications as a service, you are certainly going to pay for the assistance.

One thing to consider when entertaining the idea of hiring someone to apply for a grant for you is, are you going to want to pay them again when you desire another grant to expand you business? How about if you need a grant to upgrade equipment? Or if you desire to create jobs for people on public assistance such as food stamps (SNAP), food stamps, public housing, or section 8.

Learning the process of applying for grants will open your knowledge base as far as what is available to you, such as the IPIU did when they taught many of you your investigative skills.

Consider if you will, learning to become an investigator. In the process you learned the skills to locate information resources. The same applies to grants. What is more is many grants don't need to be paid back. Others requiring repayment carry lower, if any interest in comparison to a bank loan. The federal government is a bit less concerned with making financial interest on your loan, than they are in helping you to create jobs so the government makes a steadier income by collecting federal income taxes on your future employees.

If at all possible, avoid bank loans.

I like the IPIU's program and will likely purchase it. This is the first I'd heard of the offering of this product.
    John Sanderson

Task Force Investigations
    Logistics Department

Quote Originally Posted by John Sanderson View Post
    ...I would highly recommend to those interested, learning the process of applying for grants yourself. If you go to a company which offers grant applications as a service, you are certainly going to pay for the assistance.
    Indeed.

One thing to consider when entertaining the idea of hiring someone to apply for a grant for you is, are you going to want to pay them again when you desire another grant to expand you business? How about if you need a grant to upgrade equipment? Or if you desire to create jobs for people on public assistance such as food stamps (SNAP), food stamps, public housing, or section 8
    If this is your first go around with writing and or applying for a grant, they can be very complex and there maybe time restrictions. While I agree with you John, if a person is unclear of what they are getting into, don't go it alone. Like with all things, if you have made error's with a grant process, you may not have time or resources to effectively correct the issue. While some agencies may be forgiving, pointing out your error and how to correct it, some won't, they'll simply return it rejected.

Learning the process of applying for grants will open your knowledge base as far as what is available to you, such as the IPIU did when they taught many of you your investigative skills.
    Yes, this can be an invaluable tool. You will certainly get from it what you put into it. Once the processes are understood, it can and will help guide you in other facet's such as complex contract's and agreements, and how to review them.

Consider if you will, learning to become an investigator. In the process you learned the skills to locate information resources. The same applies to grants. What is more is many grants don't need to be paid back. Others requiring repayment carry lower, if any interest in comparison to a bank loan. The federal government is a bit less concerned with making financial interest on your loan, than they are in helping you to create jobs so the government makes a steadier income by collecting federal income taxes on your future employees.

If at all possible, avoid bank loans.
    True that.

I like the IPIU's program and will likely purchase it. This is the first I'd heard of the offering of this product.
    John (or Administration) this is the first I myself have heard of it, and am not sure where in the forums to look.
    If you (or admin) could post a link, or inform me to where the thread is, I'd like to glass it over.

Thanks.

Stephen

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Douglass View Post
    John (or Administration) this is the first I myself have heard of it, and am not sure where in the forums to look.
    If you (or admin) could post a link, or inform me to where the thread is, I'd like to glass it over.
    I don't believe there is a thread about this, other than the one we're in now. But the product and links are in post #2 above.

I am fortunate to know the City Planner here, who spends a great deal of time writing for grants for the City, and underwriting grants for small businesses and projects withing the City limits. If you are kind to them, and do a little time trading for services, They can often help guide you. And if you're really generous, they may even proof your works to help ensure you've done it right, lessening the chance for a rejection.

My guy loves fish and fishing (hint).

Anyway, that's my dimes worth.

Stephen

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Douglass View Post
    I am fortunate to know the City Planner here, who spends a great deal of time writing for grants for the City, and underwriting grants for small businesses and projects withing the City limits. If you are kind to them, and do a little time trading for services, They can often help guide you. And if you're really generous, they may even proof your works to help ensure you've done it right, lessening the chance for a rejection.

My guy loves fish and fishing (hint).

Anyway, that's my dimes worth.

Stephen
    You're very generous. I usually only give two cents. lol