Thread: Home Office in one state, but I work only in another. Is this okay?

Home Office in one state, but I work only in another. Is this okay?

I live in a very small county in a very restrictive state. I am only about 10 minutes from the state I want to work in.

• Can I set up a home office in Kansas ?

• Can I have a Kansas address but only take cases in Missouri without a Kansas agency license or PI license?

• I live in the rural country so I don't have to worry about a Missouri city license.

• I can't afford to rent office space in Missouri so I was going to do it at home. I have no desire to take any cases in Kansas. I just need to know if my office can be in Kansas and only work in Missouri.

Thanks, Melissa

William Brassfield is offline Moderator::
    (On Leave of Absence)

Sr. Distinguished Member:
    Member since 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Melissa Fisher
    I live in a very small county in a very restrictive state. I am only about 10 minutes from the state I want to work in. Can I set up a home office in Kansas and have a Kansas address but only take cases in Missouri without a Kansas agency license or PI license? I live in the country so I don't have to worry about a city license. I can't afford to rent office space in Missouri so I was going to do it at home. I have no desire to take any cases in Kansas. I just need to know If my office can be in Kansas and only work in Missouri. Thanks, Melissa
    To my knowledge, unless the law has changed recently in Missouri, you don't need a license to be a PI in Missouri.

also many states have reciprocal licensing agreements

I do know a few years ago the Missouri state Legislature was considering a bill that would regulate PIs, and require them to be licensed, but I don't think it went through.

For more information, please see the "PI Licensing: Missouri" subject within this sub-forum.

Thanks again.

Thanks again for all your help.

Donna Reagan is offline Administrator
    Private Investigators Forum

Licensed Private Investigator
    DHS Certified
    Here are the two examples of what you can lawfully do:

If your Headquarters Office is in a non-regulated state, city, etc
    1. Then you are free to advertise that HQ office for all types of PI Cases.

2. You can perform the cases via computer, fax, internet, phone, and all other means from anywhere in the world, including regulated states (such as California, New York, etc)

3. If you need an out-of-state PI to conduct a task that is regulated in a regulated state, city, etc - such as undercover surveillance that may end up in a court, then you should hire a licensed PI (IPIU member) to perform that portion of your case that requires a PI License.

If your Headquarters Office is in a regulated state, city, etc , such as California, Kansas, Florida:

1. Then you cannot advertise your office with the word "investigations" without having an agency PI License or a licensed IPIU member to be on the agency license.

2. You can advertise in Kansas with words such as "Case Examinations", "Background Records Service", and other non-investigator words which would not mislead the public you are advertising as a PI Agency.

3. Therefore, for any type of advertised research or other exempted cases in Kansas, you are free to do. SEE KANSAS exemptions list.

SOLUTION 1: Sign up for the Denver, Colorado PI Office Option and conduct your exempted assignments from your home.

SOLUTION 2: Sign up for the NEW Kansas City, Missouri PI Office. Privately email gary.sumner@ipiu.org to get on the waiting list and for details.

Donna Reagan
    DHS Certified

START WITH TRUST
    When you see the Better Business Bureau Seal, it means the
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU) has agreed to:

TELL THE TRUTH, KEEP ITS PROMISES, BE RESPONSIVE
    www.ipiu.org | IPIU Web Store
    Official BBB Accreditation Link | Contact IPIU
    Founded in 1989 - Celebrating our 32nd Year Serving 48,373 Members

CONTACT LINK HERE TO JOIN IPIU

Thanks Donna,
    I am very excited about the KC office. I cant wait. Is there anything I can do or research in Missouri to help speed things along? Is there a forum on this office? Thanks, Melissa

Just sent my email also, hopefully I'll be added to that waiting list!
    Freedom S. Torrence
    freedom.torrence@pi-agency.us
    Badge # 10966

Donna Reagan is offline Administrator
    Private Investigators Forum

DHS Certified
    Quote Originally Posted by Melissa Fisher
    Thanks Donna,
    I am very excited about the KC office. I cant wait. Is there anything I can do or research in Missouri to help speed things along? Is there a forum on this office? Thanks, Melissa
    Gary is swamped today - but I expect it will be formally announced by the end of this week.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Donna Reagan
    Here are the two examples of what you can lawfully do:

If your Headquarters Office is in a non-regulated state, city, etc
    1. Then you are free to advertise that HQ office for all types of PI Cases.

2. You can perform the cases via computer, fax, internet, phone, and all other means from anywhere in the world, including regulated states (such as California, New York, etc)

3. If you need an out-of-state PI to conduct a task that is regulated in a regulated state, city, etc - such as undercover surveillance that may end up in a court, then you should hire a licensed PI (IPIU member) to perform that portion of your case that requires a PI License.

If your Headquarters Office is in a regulated state, city, etc , such as California, Kansas, Florida:

1. Then you cannot advertise your office with the word "investigations" without having an agency PI License or a licensed IPIU member to be on the agency license.

2. You can advertise in Kansas with words such as "Case Examinations", "Background Records Service", and other non-investigator words which would not mislead the public you are advertising as a PI Agency.

3. Therefore, for any type of advertised research or other exempted cases in Kansas, you are free to do. SEE KANSAS exemptions list.

SOLUTION 1: Sign up for the Denver, Colorado PI Office Option and conduct your exempted assignments from your home.

SOLUTION 2: Sign up for the NEW Kansas City, Missouri PI Office. Privately email gary.sumner@ipiu.org to get on the waiting list and for details.
    Donna, thank you for this information. Very valuable. I am in Kansas and this definitely effects me. I'll look into both solutions.

Rowdy Ratts

Ahh,

This clears up the purpose of the Colorado Office offer for me.

Thanks

James Bone is offline ***

2006 - 2011 Professional Member of:
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)
    You can sign up for the Colorado or Missouri office, but if your state requires a license and you are doing work that is not in the exemptions, you will have to hire a licensed PI to do your investigations work. Am I understanding this correctly?

Danielle Bosley is offline Lifetime Professional Management Member

Corporate Agency Member of:
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)

Re: Home Office in one state, but I work only in another. Is this okay?

I'm in a similar situation and have tried to PM you Donna, but a not "allowed" for whatever reason I cannot fathom. I am living in NH and planning to move to NC. I contacted the DOJ Permits & Licensing in NC today about just such a scenario... living in NH/NC and working under an LLC in an unregulated state such as Idaho or Colorado. The woman at the office told me that what you said is incorrect essentially... that even if it's a corporation elsewhere- if you are physically performing the work (even online) in NC/NH (or any other state that requires licensure for such activities), that you must be licensed in that state???