Thread: FBI comes up empty in search for Hoffa

FBI comes up empty in search for Hoffa

I thought this was very interesting!

By TOM KRISHER, Associated Press Writer
    1 hour, 30 minutes ago

MILFORD TOWNSHIP, Mich. - The FBI said Tuesday it found no trace of Jimmy Hoffa after digging up a suburban Detroit horse farm in one of the most intensive searches in decades for the former Teamsters boss.

The two-week search involved dozens of FBI agents, along with anthropologists, archaeologists, cadaver-sniffing dogs and a demolition crew that took apart a barn.

Louis Fischetti, supervisory agent with the Detroit FBI, said the tip that led agents to the farm was the best federal authorities had received since 1976.

The agency planned to continue the investigation into Hoffa's 1975 disappearance.

"There are still prosecutable defendants who are living, and they know who they are," said Judy Chilen, assistant agent in charge of the Detroit FBI.

The farm was once owned by a Hoffa associate and was said to be a mob meeting place before the union boss' disappearance.

Chilen said that she believes Hoffa had been buried on the farm and that she had no evidence it had been moved. Fischetti added: "We really don't have any indication that it was or wasn't moved."

Hoffa vanished after he went to meet two organized crime figures. Investigators have long suspected he was killed by the mob to prevent him from reclaiming the presidency of the Teamsters after he got out of prison for corruption. But no trace of him has ever been found, and no one was ever charged.

The farm was just the latest spot to be torn up in search of clues to Hoffa's fate. In 2003, authorities excavated beneath a backyard pool a few hours north of Detroit. The following year, police ripped up floorboards in a Detroit home to test bloodstains. But the blood was not Hoffa's.

Over the years, some have theorized that Hoffa was buried at Giants Stadium in the New Jersey Meadowlands; ground up and thrown into a Florida swamp; or obliterated in a mob-owned fat-rendering plant.

The FBI began the excavation May 17, digging at Hidden Dreams Farm, 30 miles northwest of Detroit. The search started after a tip from Donovan Wells, an ailing federal inmate who once lived on the farm and was acquainted with its former owner, 92-year-old Hoffa associate Rolland McMaster, according to a government investigator.

McMaster's attorney Mayer Morganroth said he was not surprised that the search was wrapping up with the mystery unsolved.

"We never expected that anything was there," he said, adding that the FBI probably felt pressured to respond to the tip, lest it seem as if it were not trying to solve the case.

The FBI said the search was expected to cost less than $250,000. The government plans to pay for the barn to be rebuilt.

Hoffa's son, Teamsters President James P. Hoffa, had no comment, nor did Hoffa's daughter, Barbara Ann Crancer, a judge in St. Louis.

James Elsman — a lawyer who says Wells told him he saw a grave being dug at the farm in 1976 and heard comments about Hoffa being buried — said Tuesday that Wells is allowing him to share notes of those conversations with the FBI. He said he has a meeting scheduled with the FBI but would not say when.

While many veteran investigators and Hoffa experts were skeptical about the search, the little community of Milford Township seemed to relish the attention. A bakery sold cupcakes with a plastic green hand emerging from chocolate frosting meant to resemble dirt. Other businesses sold Hoffa-inspired T-shirts and put up signs with wisecracks such as "Caution FBI Crossing Ahead."

Hoffa was last seen on July 30, 1975. He was scheduled to have dinner at a restaurant about 20 miles from the farm. He was supposed to meet with a New Jersey Teamsters boss and a Detroit Mafia captain, both of whom are now dead.

___

Associated Press writers Sarah Karush in Detroit and Ken Thomas in Washington contributed to this report.

Lynne Knight is offline Certified Distinguished Member
    Private Investigators Forum

(Retired Moderator)
    Corporate Agency Member of:
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)
    Thanks for posting this Cheryl.

I've always found this man's life and times quite interesting and his disappearance fascinating.

Wouldn't it be something if one of us found him?

Lynne Knight is offline Certified Distinguished Member

(Retired Moderator)
    Corporate Agency Member of:
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)
    I like to picture Mr. Jimmy Hoffa chillin' on some beach in Florida or Jamaica.
    Tanny

LOL Lynne that would be great huh?

I saw this on the news - that was a huge barn they tore down! It wasn't just a rickety old barn. It was a big industrial one. That is going to cost the government a ton of money to rebuild. Our tax dollars being put to good use once again!

Jimmy is probably hanging out with Elvis and Marilyn....

Jerome O Isaac-- is offline Sr. Distinguished Member:

2007 Honorary Ambassador of Good Will
    Greetings Cheryl, how are you doing today? I hope fine.

I had to watch the tube on low volume yesserday due to location and was wondering what all those men in FBI jackets were doing.

Thanks for the post.

Have a great day and keep up the good work.

Hi Paula,
    Yea, what I could do with $250.000! The things they come up with to spend money on is shocking!

Hi Paul,
    I'm doing great,thanks for asking. How are you doing?

Re: FBI comes up empty in search for Hoffa

Quote Originally Posted by Cheryl Mason
    Wouldn't it be something if one of us found him?
    LOL! I was joking about this just the other day! I have a case on my MySpace page, www.myspace.com/do_u_recognize_me and I told everyone, I think I found Hoffa!

This guy was taken to a GA Pacific Plant and dumped in the Chimney, smoke stack...I started to investigate and the dates of the body being discovered and the time the man who everyone said killed Hoffa was arrested coincided...I thought "OK, he had him in a freezer, all this time, and someone dumped him since he was arrested "(forget the guys name)...anyhow, after more investigations, it didn't line up after all. It was fun to even imagine solving such a mystery!