Thread: What are the state laws to repossess a car?

August Layne is offline Private Investigator

Agency Owner Member:
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)

What are the state laws to repossess a car?

Hello to all and Welcome to IPIU:

I did not know that you needed a license to do Repo's. Where do you go for one and where do you find the laws? I hired a man who told me that he was a Investigator, had this big fancy resume and was suppost to be know as a mercenary....Said that we could do this. I have several repo's to do right now and it is not what I wanted to do. In fact it has me so tied up with trying to get these do, I have no time for anything else in my Investigating business. Then top it off, this man got me one case that is drug related. The case was over a year old and the man said that he had had it with 2 other investigators and they found nothing. I visited with the police department and they told me to leave this one alone. That this dealership it self was being investigated for drugs. So I dropped it. Now the man that gave me these cases has left to go back to Irac as a security guard. The problem that I am having if finding someone to help me do these repos for this good company.

So how do I find the laws that deal with Repo's and how do I know that when I get another PI to help, even after background check that this one is up right and not trying to get you down the wrong road?

John G - is offline Retired Forum Moderator

Private Investigators Forums
    Sponsored by the International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)
    Quote Originally Posted by August Layne
    Hello to all and Welcome to IPIU:

I did not know that you needed a license to do Repo's. Where do you go for one and where do you find the laws? I hired a man who told me that he was a Investigator, had this big fancy resume and was suppost to be know as a mercenary....Said that we could do this. I have several repo's to do right now and it is not what I wanted to do. In fact it has me so tied up with trying to get these do, I have no time for anything else in my Investigating business. Then top it off, this man got me one case that is drug related. The case was over a year old and the man said that he had had it with 2 other investigators and they found nothing. I visited with the police department and they told me to leave this one alone. That this dealership it self was being investigated for drugs. So I dropped it. Now the man that gave me these cases has left to go back to Irac as a security guard. The problem that I am having if finding someone to help me do these repos for this good company.

So how do I find the laws that deal with Repo's and how do I know that when I get another PI to help, even after background check that this one is up right and not trying to get you down the wrong road?

Hi August. The best way to get the law on dealing with repossessions would be to contact the Colorado Department of Law (Attorney Generals Office). I searched the website and I'm not sure how it is regulated in Colorado. If you'd like, I would be willing to do some more checking for you. I can also try Googling the information and seeing what the engine comes up with. Just let me know what kind of help I could give you.

Johnny

Keith Dukes is offline ** Certified

Licensed Private Investigator
    Graduate: IPIU Fugitive Recovery - Bounty Hunter Program
    Member: International Private Investigatrors Union (IPIU)

Re: What are the state laws to repossess a car?

Hello August
    Were you ever able to find that info about the laws of repo?
    I am in Michigan and licensed here as an PI and I very interested in the repo business here in the Michigan area and any other area where the opportunity exist.

This may help you to start:

Sorted from A to W:

Alabama

TITLE STATE: 1975 and subsequent years.
    SECURITY INTERESTS: Shown on title held by lien holder.
    LICENSE REGISTRATION: Alabama Motor Vehicle Division, P.O. Box
    327640, Montgomery, Alabama 36132-7640. Tel: (334) 242-9000.
    RECOVERY REQUIREMENT: As per UCC, repossession allowed without committing a breach of the peace.
    DOCUMENTS REQUIRED FOR LIQUIDATION: MVT-15-1 (Repossession Affidavit) and original released title
    PLATES: Remain with the debtor.

Alaska

TITLE STATE: Yes
    LICENSE REGISTRATION: Alaska Division of Motor Vehicles, 2150 E. Dowling Road, Anchorage, Alaska 99507. Tel: (907) 269-5551.
    RECOVERY REQUIREMENT: As per UCC, repossession allowed without committing a breach of the peace.
    DOCUMENTS REQUIRED FOR LIQUIDATION: Repossession affidavit, certified copy of contract, bill of sale.
    PLATES: Remain with the vehicle.

Arizona

SECURITY INTERESTS: Shown on title, title mailed to debtor, lien-holder record mailed to lien-holder.
    LICENSE REGISTRATION: The Arizona Department of Transportation, Motor Vehicle Division, 1801 W. Jefferson, Phoenix, Arizona 85007. Tel: (602) 255-7011. RECOVERY REQUIREMENT: As per UCC, repossession allowed without committing a breach of the peace.
    DOCUMENTS REQUIRED FOR LIQUIDATION: Arizona Lien-holder record or out-of-state title, AZ MVD "Affidavit of Repossession/Bill of Sale" form and vehicle inspection if vehicle not previously registered in Arizona.
    PLATES: As of 01/01/02 - plates now belong to the registered owner of the vehicle. They remain with the debtor.

Arkansas

SECURITY INTERESTS: Shown on title held by first lien holder.
    LICENSE REGISTRATION: Arkansas Office of Motor Vehicles, Post Office Box 1272-MV, Little Rock, Arkansas 72203. Tel: (501) 682-4692. RECOVERY REQUIREMENT: As per UCC, repossession allowed without committing a breach of the peace.
    DOCUMENTS REQUIRED FOR LIQUIDATION: Certified copy of contract, title, repossession affidavit and application for title by the secured party.

California

TITLE STATE: Yes.
    SECURITY INTERESTS: Shown on Certificate of Ownership (Pink Slip) or Title held by the lien holder.
    LICENSE REGISTRATION: California Department of Motor Vehicles, Post Office Box 942869, Sacramento, California 94269-0000. Tel: (916) 657-7669.
    DOCUMENTS REQUIRED FOR LIQUIDATION: Title, lien satisfied, affidavit of repossession, bill of sale, current registration card and smog certificate.

Colorado

LICENSE REGISTRATION: Colorado Motor Vehicle Division, 1881 Pierce St., Lakewood, CO 80215. Tel: (303) 205-5608.
    RECOVERY REQUIREMENT: Repossession allowed without committing a breach of the peace after 20 Day Right to Cure Letter from lien holder to debtor (except skips, leases, lack of insurance or third party possession).
    DOCUMENTS REQUIRED FOR LIQUIDATION: Repossession title is issued to lien-holder only. Title and DR412 (Repossession Affidavit) and Application for New Title. Lien-holder may sell vehicle without first applying for new title.

Connecticut

SECURITY INTERESTS: Shown on title held by first lien holder.
    LICENSE REGISTRATION: Connecticut Department Motor Vehicle, 60 State Street, Wethersfield, Connecticut 06109. Tel: (860) 566-4710. Toll Free 1-800-842-8222.
    RECOVERY REQUIREMENT: Must be peaceful. Ten day notice before taking is permitted but not required. If not given, fifteen day period for redemption must be given. Repossession allowed without committing a breach of the peace.
    DOCUMENTS REQUIRED FOR LIQUIDATION: Affidavit of Repossession, Certificate of Title, Q-1 form to transfer.
    PLATES: Remain with debtor.

Delaware

SECURITY INTERESTS: Shown on title, held by first lien holder.
    LICENSE REGISTRATION: Delaware Division of Motor Vehicles, Administration Office. Post Office Box 698, Dover, Delaware 19903. Tel: (302) 739-2500.
    DOCUMENTS REQUIRED FOR LIQUIDATION: Title. Repossession Affidavit (MV-195), copy of contract.

District of Columbia

LICENSE REGISTRATION: District Of Columbia Motor Vehicle Services, 301 C Street N.W., Washington, D.C. 20001. Tel: (202) 727-6680.
    DOCUMENTS REQUIRED FOR LIQUIDATION: Certified copy of contract, title, inspection if out of state.

Florida

LICENSE REGISTRATION: Florida Division of Motor Vehicles, Neil Kirkman Building, Tallahassee, Florida 32399. Tel: (904) 488-3881.
    DOCUMENTS REQUIRED FOR LIQUIDATION: All Florida titles must be converted to lien holder's name. Some out of state repossession affidavits are accepted. Call ARA member for details.

Georgia

LICENSE REGISTRATION: Georgia Motor Vehicle Division, 270 Washington Street, Atlanta, Georgia 30334. Tel: (404) 362-6500.
    DOCUMENTS REQUIRED FOR LIQUIDATION: Title, copy of contract, bill of sale, affidavit of repossession (T-16).

Hawaii

LICENSE REGISTRATION: Contact member for information.
    DOCUMENTS REQUIRED FOR LIQUIDATION: "Repossessed By" Lien holder, with signature on line one of Hawaiian Title, "Successor Interest" on line seven (Lien holder with signature), Registration in Lien holders name, inspection required.

Idaho

LICENSE REGISTRATION: Idaho Department of Motor Vehicles, P.O. Box 34, Boise, Idaho 83707. Tel: (208) 334-8663.
    DOCUMENTS REQUIRED FOR LIQUIDATION: Title, (no signature on back) and Repossession Affidavit.

Illinois

LICENSE REGISTRATION: Illinois Department of Vehicle Services, Centennial Bldg., Room 408, Springfield, Illinois 62756. Tel: (217) 782-6212.
    DOCUMENTS REQUIRED FOR LIQUIDATION: After Repossession, the lien holder shall mail the Affidavit of Defense to the registered owner's last known address giving the owner 21 days from the date of the certified mail to redeem this unit. The vehicle may not be sold or transferred during this period.

Indiana

LICENSE REGISTRATION: Indiana Bureau of Motor Vehicles, 100 N. Senate Ave., #401, Indianapolis, Indiana 46204. Tel: (317) 233-6000.
    DOCUMENTS REQUIRED FOR LIQUIDATION: Certified copy of Contract (Form 1 Certificate of Repossession from California, Tennessee, Texas). All other states must have a Repo title in the client's name.

Iowa

LICENSE REGISTRATION: Iowa Office of Vehicle Registration, P.O. Box 9278, Des Moines, Iowa 50306. Tel: (515) 237-3077.
    RECOVERY REQUIREMENT: After Twenty Day Right To Cure Letter from lien holder to debtor, repossession allowed without committing a breach of the peace.
    DOCUMENTS REQUIRED FOR LIQUIDATION: Title, Affidavit of Repossession. Do not release lien on title.

Kansas

LICENSE REGISTRATION: Kansas Division of Vehicle, Docking State Building, Topeka, Kansas 66626-0001. Tel: (785) 296-3621.
    RECOVERY REQUIREMENT: After 20 day "Right to Cure" letter from lien holder to debtor, repossession allowed without committing a breach of peace. (Applicable only once during term of security agreement.) Not applicable to any "substantial impairment" such as lack of insurance, etc.
    DOCUMENTS REQUIRED FOR LIQUIDATION: No out of state repossession affidavits are accepted. Repossession affidavit may accompany Kansas title and an application for title together with a certified copy of the Security Agreement to the vehicle.

Kentucky

SECURITY INTERESTS: Shown on title, Title mailed to & held by debtor. Lien holder holds title lien statement.
    LICENSE REGISTRATION: Kentucky Division of Motor Licensing, State Office Building, Room 203, Frankfort, Kentucky 40622. Tel: (502) 564-5301.
    DOCUMENTS REQUIRED FOR LIQUIDATION: Title, Repossession Affidavit.

Louisiana

SECURITY INTERESTS: Recorded on Title held by Lien holder.
    LICENSE REGISTRATION: State of Louisiana, Dept. of Public Safety, Office of Motor Vehicles, 109 S. Foster Dr., Baton Rouge, Louisiana 70806. Tel: (225) 925-6146; Website WWW.DPS.STATE.LA. US/OMV/HOME.HTML).
    RECOVERY REQUIREMENT: Effective January 1, 2005, Louisiana's Act 191 ( "Additional Default Remedies Act" ) and Act 814 ( "Notice of Repossession" ) permit a "secured party" or "a lessor" to take possession of collateral without judicial process provided: 1. ) the Security Agreement, or lease, contains the following specific wording: "Louisiana law permits repossession of motor vehicles without judicial process", 2. ) prior to taking possession, a notice of intent is sent to all debtors, in writing, containing the specific wording: "Louisiana law permits repossession of motor vehicles without further notice or judicial process", 3. ) a "payment" default exceeding 30 days ( monthly installment contracts ) or 60 days ( weekly or bi-weekly contracts ) exists, 4. ) no "breach of the peace" occurs in the act of retaking, 5. ) the individual who physically repossesses collateral must be licensed by the State of Louisiana-Office of Financial Institutions, 6. ) in the event a tow truck is used, the owner, or operator, shall possess a common carrier certificate issued by the Louisiana Public Service Commission, and 7. ) within three days of taking possession, the secured party files a "Notice of Repossession" with the recorder of mortgages in the Parish where the collateral was located and with the appropriate official Constable of the Justice of The Peace Court, Constable or Marshal of the City Court or the Parish Sheriff as determined by the debtor's last known address. Fees of $75.00 to the "Recorder of Mortgages" and $250.00 to the appropriate "official" must be paid at the time of filing. Both a "Notice of Sale" and a "Notice of Disposal" are follow-up requirements and prerequisites to perfecting a deficiency ( R. S. 10 : 9-613, et seq. ). Act 670 allows a motor vehicle dealer to use self-help if a prospective purchaser fails to return a credit rejected vehicle 25 days after delivery and after 48 hrs. notice.
    DOCUMENTS REQUIRED FOR LIQUIDATION: Vehicle may be sold on any State's Lien Released and Lien holder Assigned Title provided it is "federally conforming" and is accompanied by a "notarized" Affidavit of Possession and a photocopy of the Debtor's signed Release. If Title is non-federally conforming, substitute a "federally conforming", "notarized" Bill of Sale in lieu of assigning said Title. All documents must be completed accurately and devoid of any type of white out or line out corrections.
    PLATES: The licensing State's Motor Vehicle Laws govern whether plates remain with the vehicle or with the registered owner. Louisiana plates remain with the registered owner. The only exception is with Leased Vehicles that always remain with the vehicle.

Maine

REPOSSESSION LICENSES: Repossession Companies must be licensed as debt collectors with Maine Bureau of Consumer Protection.
    LICENSE REGISTRATION: Maine Motor Vehicle Division, State House, Station 29, Title Section, Augusta, Maine 04333 Tel: (207) 287-9002. RECOVERY REQUIREMENT: After fourteen day Right to Cure Letter from lien holder to debtor, repossession allowed without committing a breach of the peace.
    DOCUMENTS REQUIRED FOR LIQUIDATION: Title, Repossession (MVT-15).

Maryland

SECURITY INTERESTS: Title held by debtor. Notice of security interest filing held by lien holder.
    LICENSE REGISTRATION: Maryland Motor Vehicle Administration, 6601 Ritchie Hwy. N.E., Glen Burnie, Maryland 21062. Tel: (410) 768-7000.
    DOCUMENTS REQUIRED FOR LIQUIDATION: Title, Notice of Security Interest Filing VR-104 (Certificate of Repossession) VR-5 (Application for Title).

Massachusetts

LICENSE REGISTRATION: Massachusetts Registry of Motor Vehicles, 100 Nashua Street, Boston, Massachusetts 02114. Tel: (617) 351-4500.
    RECOVERY REQUIREMENT: After Twenty-one Day Right to Cure Letter from lien holder to debtor, repossession allowed without committing a breach of the peace.
    DOCUMENTS REQUIRED FOR LIQUIDATION: Power of Attorney, lien release and title.

Michigan

SECURITY INTERESTS: Shown on title held by debtor.
    LICENSE REGISTRATION: Michigan Bureau of Driver and Vehicle Records, 7064 Crowner Drive, Lansing, Michigan 48918. Tel: (517) 322-1460.
    RECOVERY REQUIREMENT: As per UCC, repossession allowed without committing a breach of the peace. Repossesses must hold valid collection agency license & Regulation, Collection Practice Board, P.O. Box 30018, Lansing, Michigan 48909, Tel: (517) 241-9239.
    DOCUMENTS REQUIRED FOR LIQUIDATION: Title must be in lien holder's name. Forward application for title accompanied by a certified copy of the security agreement and an affidavit of repossession.

Minnesota

LICENSE REGISTRATION: Driver and Vehicle Services Division, Record & Information Management, 445 Minnesota St., Suite 190, St. Paul, Minnesota 55101-5190. Tel: (651) 297-1714, TTY (651) 297-2100.
    DOCUMENTS REQUIRED FOR LIQUIDATION: Affidavit of Repossession, with title signed off as seller. Do not release lien.

Mississippi

LICENSE REGISTRATION: Mississippi Vehicle Tax Division, Post Office Box 1383, Jackson, Mississippi 39215. Tel: (601) 932-7200.

Missouri

LICENSE REGISTRATION: Missouri Motor Vehicle, 301 W. High St., Jefferson City, Missouri 65105. Tel: (573) 751-4509.
    RECOVERY REQUIREMENT: After Twenty Day Right To Cure Letter from lien holder to debtor, repossession allowed without committing a breach of the peace.
    DOCUMENTS REQUIRED FOR LIQUIDATION: Affidavit of Repossession, Application for Missouri Title.

Montana

LICENSE REGISTRATION: Montana Motor Vehicle Division, Title and Registration Bureau, 1832 Buckskin Dr., Deer Lodge, Montana 59722-2371. Tel: (406) 846-6000.
    DOCUMENTS REQUIRED FOR LIQUIDATION: Affidavit of Repossession, Bill of Sale or Title in Lien holders name.

Nebraska

LICENSE REGISTRATION: Nebraska Motor Vehicle, P.O. Box 94789, Lincoln, Nebraska 68509. Tel: (402) 471-2281.
    DOCUMENTS REQUIRED FOR LIQUIDATION: Title must be in name of lien holder to execute sale of collateral.

Nevada

LICENSE REGISTRATION: Nevada Department of Motor Vehicles, Registration Division, 555 Wright Way, Carson City, Nevada 89711. Tel: (702) 687-5370.
    DOCUMENTS REQUIRED FOR LIQUIDATION: Title, Affidavit of Repossession, Bill of Sale.

New Hampshire

LICENSE REGISTRATION: New Hampshire Division of Motor Vehicles, 10 Hazen Drive, Concord, New Hampshire 03305. Tel: (603) 271-2751.
    DOCUMENTS REQUIRED FOR LIQUIDATION: Title, Affidavit of Repossession.

New Jersey

LICENSE REGISTRATION: New Jersey Motor Vehicle Services, 225 East St., 2nd Floor, Trenton, New Jersey 08666. Tel: (609) 292-4172.
    DOCUMENTS REQUIRED FOR LIQUIDATION: Application (CO-56), Writ of Execution stamped "True Copy" signed by the Clerk of Court, copy of posted notice of sale and original title.

New Mexico

LICENSE REGISTRATION: New Mexico Motor Vehicle Division, P.O. Box 1028, Santa Fe, New Mexico 87504. Tel: (505) 827-2220.
    DOCUMENTS REQUIRED FOR LIQUIDATION: Title Release of Lien, Affidavit of Repossession, Bill of Sale.

New York

LICENSE REGISTRATION: New York Motor Department of Motor Vehicles, P.O. Box 2750, Albany, New York 12220. Tel: (518) 486-4714.
    DOCUMENTS REQUIRED FOR LIQUIDATION: If New York Title, must have a signed off MV-901 (notice of recorded lien) and a MV950 (combination bill of sale, odometer statement, affidavit of repossession). If out of state title, title must show lien holder as owner and a notarized bill of sale.

North Carolina

LICENSE REGISTRATION: North Carolina Division of Motor Vehicles, Vehicles Registration, 1100 New Bern Avenue, Raleigh, North Carolina, 27696. Tel: (919) 733-3025.
    DOCUMENTS REQUIRED FOR LIQUIDATION: Title and Repossession Affidavit, Out of State Repossession titles and affidavits are accepted.

North Dakota

LICENSE REGISTRATION: North Dakota Motor Vehicle Department, 608 East Boulevard Avenue, Bismarck, North Dakota 58505. Tel: (701) 328-2725.

Ohio

LICENSE REGISTRATION: Ohio Bureau of Motor Vehicles, Post Office Box 16520, Columbus, Ohio 43266-0020. Tel: (614) 752-7634.
    DOCUMENTS REQUIRED FOR LIQUIDATION: Must have title in the name of the lien holder.

Oklahoma

LICENSE REGISTRATION: Oklahoma Motor Vehicle Division, 2501 Lincoln Blvd., Oklahoma City, Oklahoma 73194. Tel: (405) 521-3221.
    DOCUMENTS REQUIRED FOR LIQUIDATION: Out of state titles must be in the name of lien holder. In Oklahoma copy of a security agreement (certified), lien released or repossession title in the name of lien holder.

Oregon

LICENSE REGISTRATION: Oregon Motor Vehicle Division, 1905 Lana Ave. N.E., Salem, Oregon 97314. Tel: (503) 945-5310.
    DOCUMENTS REQUIRED FOR LIQUIDATION: Out of State Titles or Repossession certificates are required. Oregon titles require a repossession certificate. To transfer title to a repossessed vehicle, the documents needed are: (1) The Original Title endorsed by the lien holder; (2) Notarized Affidavit of Repossession; (3) A copy of the final demand letter with its certified mail receipt attached.
    PLATES: Remain with the vehicle. (Custom plates remain with the debtor.)

Pennsylvania

LICENSE REGISTRATION: Pennsylvania Motor Vehicle, Box 68591, 1101 S. Front St., Harrisburg, Pennsylvania 17104-2516. Tel: (717) 391-6190.
    DOCUMENTS REQUIRED FOR LIQUIDATION: 1) Seizure Notice, Notarized 2) Notarized copy of contract front and back sides 3) Title odometer statement. The lender acts as the "SELLER" and includes his title next to his signature in both cases. 4) Copy of redemption letter to debtor, notarized 5) Copy of certified mail receipt used to send out the redemption letter, notarized 6) Motor Vehicle Form MV216A (request from your repossessor) 7) Bill of Sale, Notarized 8) Letter authorizing repossessor to sell for high bid and the dollar amount.

Rhode Island

TITLE STATE: 1973 and Newer.
    LICENSE REGISTRATION: Rhode Island Division of Motor Vehicles, Two Capitol Hill, Rhode Island 02903. Tel: (401) 277-2064.
    DOCUMENTS REQUIRED FOR LIQUIDATION: Bill of Sale, Affidavit of Repossession, Title, Inspection required.

South Carolina

LICENSE REGISTRATION: South Carolina Division of Motor Vehicles, P.O. Box 1498, Columbia, South Carolina 29216. Tel: (803) 251-2950.
    RECOVERY REQUIREMENT: After Twenty Day Right to Cure Letter from lien holder to debtor, repossession allowed without committing a breach of the peace.
    DOCUMENTS REQUIRED FOR LIQUIDATION: Notarized bill of sale, title and repossession affidavit.

South Dakota

LICENSE REGISTRATION: South Dakota Motor Vehicles, 118 W. Capital Avenue, Pierre, South Dakota 57501-2080. Tel: (605) 773-3541.
    DOCUMENTS REQUIRED FOR LIQUIDATION: Repossession title in name of lien holder. To obtain, need repossession affidavit and copy of contract.

Tennessee

LICENSE REGISTRATION: Tennessee Motor Vehicle Division, 500 Deaderick Street, Nashville, Tennessee 37242. Tel: (615) 741-3101.
    DOCUMENTS REQUIRED FOR LIQUIDATION: Title with lien released, odometer statement, bill of sale, affidavit of sale/repossession.

Texas

LICENSE REGISTRATION: Texas State Department of Transportation, Division of Motor Vehicles, 4000 Jackson Ave., Austin, Texas 78738. Tel: (512) 465-7611.
    DOCUMENTS REQUIRED FOR LIQUIDATION: Repossession affidavit (D12-264) if Texas title; out of state repossession affidavits accepted.

Utah

LICENSE REGISTRATION: Utah Motor Vehicle Division, 210 North 1950 West, Salt Lake City, Utah 84134. Tel: (801) 297-7780.
    DOCUMENTS REQUIRED FOR LIQUIDATION: Title, Repossession Affidavit, and Odometer Statement.

Vermont

LICENSE REGISTRATION: Vermont Department of Motor Vehicles, 120 State Street, Montpelier, Vermont 05603. Tel: (802) 828-2000.
    DOCUMENTS REQUIRED FOR LIQUIDATION: Title, Repossession Affidavit, Bill of Sale and Title with Lien released.

Virginia

LICENSE REGISTRATION: Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles, P.O. Box 27412, Richmond, Virginia 23269-0001. Tel: (804) 367-0063.
    DOCUMENTS REQUIRED FOR LIQUIDATION: If Virginia title, must be in the name of the lien holder. Will accept repossession affidavit from other states.

Washington

LICENSE REGISTRATION: Washington Department of Licensing Highways, P.O. Box 9042, Olympia, Washington 98507. Tel: (360) 902-3770.
    DOCUMENTS REQUIRED FOR LIQUIDATION: Title and Repossession Affidavit.

West Virginia

LICENSE REGISTRATION: West Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles, 1900 Kanawha Boulevard East, Charleston, West Virginia 25317. Tel: (304) 558-3900.
    RECOVERY REQUIREMENT: After Ten Day Right to Cure Letter from lien holder to debtor, repossession allowed without committing a breach of the peace.
    DOCUMENTS REQUIRED FOR LIQUIDATION: Title, Repossession Affidavit, Bill of Sale, and Odometer Statement.

Wisconsin

LICENSE REGISTRATION: Wisconsin Division of Motor Vehicles, 4802 Sheboygan Avenue, Madison, Wisconsin 53705. Tel: (608) 266-1466.
    RECOVERY REQUIREMENT: A repletion judgment must be obtained granting the right to recovery, unless the debtor signs a voluntary surrender of collateral.
    DOCUMENTS REQUIRED FOR LIQUIDATION: Title, Repossession Affidavit, and Copy of Contract.

Wyoming

LICENSE REGISTRATION: Wyoming Motor Vehicle Division, 309 W. 20th St., Cheyenne, Wyoming 82001. Tel: (307) 633-4232.
    DOCUMENTS REQUIRED FOR LIQUIDATION: Title, Repossession Affidavit and Copy of Contract.

Bahamas

Bond Coverage is Applicable For Services Rendered Within The United States Of America Only.

Canada

Bond Coverage is Applicable For Services Rendered Within The United States Of America Only.

Costa Rica

England

France

Germany

Guam

Mexico

Netherlands

Puerto Rico

Thailand

US Virgin Islands

Keith Dukes is offline ** Certified

Licensed Private Investigator
    Graduate: IPIU Fugitive Recovery - Bounty Hunter Program
    Member: International Private Investigatrors Union (IPIU)

Thanx So Much for the Rapid & Detailed response to the request.

Charles Milonas is offline Private Investigator Forum Member

Union Member of International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)

This is good info to have.

Florida Statute Chapter 493 contains all of the information for recovery of a vehicle. FS 493

Lori Copaus is offline PI Agency Corporation Owner
    Private Investigator Forum Member

Member of:

I also had that question pertaining to repo's in Colorado. So I called one repo company in Colorado and the owner stated no special license required, just your CO DL. Wish it was that simple here in Texas. Course nothing here in Texas is simple. Everything very regulated and complicated.

Lori E. Copaus

John Sanderson is offline Lifetime Member

Corporate Agency Member of:

Reposessing vehicles is legal in all states. However, the regulations for who may do them and where can be difficult to find. I have not read the list above, but seeing as though the admins of the forums have left it up for more then 2 years, I would say it is accurate.

I too came across a situation wherein my agency was sought out to reposess a vehicle in Collorado. In the state of Colorado, as is the case in various other states, you only need to have in your posession certain paperwork while carrying out the repo and make a courtesy notification to the police department, when complete.

I hope this helps.
    John Sanderson

Task Force Investigations
    Logistics Department