Thread: Sex Offender Poses as High School Student and Gets Caught.

John G - is offline Retired Forum Moderator

Private Investigators Forums
    Sponsored by the International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)

Sex Offender Poses as High School Student and Gets Caught.

Joshua Gardner, a 22-year-old registered sex offender,
    tried to pass himself off as a 17-year-old high school transfer and
    member of the British royal family.
    (ABC NEWS)

KARE-TV reported that a registered sex offender was caught posing as a high school student in a suburb of Saint Paul, Minnesota. This individual was supposedly of royal heritage, talked with an accent, and appeared to be of high school age. He said he was 17, and that he had the title of the "5th Duke of Cleveland." However, while student journalists were researching the facts on this individual, they came across a website which this subject had posted, then after that found his picture on a Florida government website identifying this person as a registered sex offender. The individual was immediately apprehended and booked in a detention facility in Mower County, Minnesota. The prosecution is recommending a sentence of 21 months in prison, based on the suspect's violation of his conditions of probation, including restrictions on internet activity and unsupervised contact with minors.

Edward Taguba is offline Certified Distinguished Member

Professional Member of:
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)
    dang that guy is sick....

What the h*ll is wrong with people? This guy certainly used tact. Good thing he was caught when he was.

Yes, but the reason I posted this story is simple: Be VERY careful of what you have on the internet. I had to destroy my blog and myspace page the other day, and I'm glad I did, since I read this story on that website. This guy is rather unlucky, though. His page is still up, and his blog is open season for all to see.

This world is wrapped up of some STRANGE people.

Quote Originally Posted by Margaret R Durham
    This world is wrapped up of some STRANGE people.
    That's why it's good to be one of the good guys... job security.

In the world of today you half to keep your guard up at all times,untill you find out about the person you are talking to.

Todd Heddleson - is offline Sr. Member:
    Private Investigators Forum

2005 - 2007 Professional Management Member of:
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)

Angry sick

But it sounds like some of those students would make good PI'S/ maybe for ipiu

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Heddleson
    But it sounds like some of those students would make good PI'S/ maybe for ipiu
    Interesting point, Todd. Maybe when they are of age.

This is the reason that I want to be in this profession, PI. To take people off the street that are predators on our children. I am sick of this type of social disease.

This type of social disease is getting real old to me too. There are some stories going around on the same website (KARE 11 TV News) about how citizens are acting like vigilantes and catching some of these sex offenders. In fact, one sex offender was charged recently with having sexual relations with one of his (minor) students, and for soliciting sex with minors on the Internet via chat rooms. This is getting to be more offensive by the day with some of this stuff going around.

What disgusts me is the leniency that is given to offenders. With this guy's history, why was he allowed to be in a situation where he could pose as a high school student? There are some crimes that need full punishment to be enforced (i.e. no parole and no probation in place of serving time plus some type of monitoring after time served). The sex-offender registry is a step in the right direction, but there are too many weaknesses in it for it to be the only answer. The general public does need to step up to do something about this. I don't mean vigilantes, but education, awareness, loud voices to our lawmakers, and courage to contact law enforcement -- just to name a few.

This is the reason I want to explore the area of Neighborhood Activity Checks. If I could play any role or part in getting child predators off the streets, I'd truly feel accomplishment.