Thread: Texas law for becoming a PI

Texas law for becoming a PI

I am pasting info I read on the Texas website regarding PI's. Looks like I would have to be in the investigations business for three years before being able to get a PI license. So how can I work as a PI without a license to get the three years under my belt?

Sec. 1702.104. INVESTIGATIONS COMPANY. A person acts as an investigations company for the purposes of this chapter if the person:
    (1) engages in the business of obtaining or furnishing, or accepts employment to obtain or furnish, information related to:

(A) crime or wrongs done or threatened against a state or the United States;
    (B) the identity, habits, business, occupation, knowledge, efficiency, loyalty, movement, location, affiliations, associations, transactions, acts, reputation, or character of a person;
    (C) the location, disposition, or recovery of lost or stolen property; or
    (D) the cause or responsibility for a fire, libel, loss, accident, damage, or injury to a person or to property;

(2) engages in the business of securing, or accepts employment to secure, evidence for use before a court, board, officer, or investigating committee;
    (3) engages in the business of securing, or accepts employment to secure, the electronic tracking of the location of an individual or motor vehicle other than for criminal justice purposes by or on behalf of a governmental entity; or
    (4) engages in the business of protecting, or accepts employment to protect, an individual from bodily harm through the use of a personal protection officer.

Sec. 1702.114. ADDITIONAL QUALIFICATIONS FOR INVESTIGATIONS COMPANY LICENSE. (a) An applicant for a license to engage in the business of an investigations company or the applicant's manager must have, before the date of the application, three consecutive years' experience in the investigative field as an employee, manager, or owner of an investigations company or satisfy other requirements set by the Private Security Bureau.

(b) The applicant's experience must be:
    (1) reviewed by the Private Security Bureau; and
    (2) determined to be adequate to qualify the applicant to engage in the business of an investigations company.

Lisa Frye - is offline Certified SPI
    Licensed Private Investigator

Moderator (On Leave of Absence)
    Sr. Distinguished Union Member
    Hello Dianna,

No, you do not need a PI License for all assignments. Your post is only one page from the full statutes. Please read the full details in the topic title of PI Licensing "Texas"and post your comment there.

Thank you for your support.

(Topic Closed)