Thread: IPIU's Forum Post on website?

IPIU's Forum Post on website?

The other day my husband was online trying to find my name in the new Bail Enforcement Agent Directory for our state. He could not remember what the website was, so went to Yahoo and typed my name in quotes and up came IPIU's threads that I posted in, along with some other member posts within the same topic. All he had to do was click on the site and it brought him right into the forum. One of the sites actually listed when I registered with IPIU, my badge number and how many number of posts I have.

I'm a little concerned about how much of my information is out on the web.

How secure is IPIU's website and how concerned should I be?

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa Yulo
    The other day my husband was online trying to find my name in the new Bail Enforcement Agent Directory for our state. He could not remember what the website was, so went to Yahoo and typed my name in quotes and up came IPIU's threads that I posted in, along with some other member posts within the same topic. All he had to do was click on the site and it brought him right into the forum. One of the sites actually listed when I registered with IPIU, my badge number and how many number of posts I have.

I'm a little concerned about how much of my information is out on the web.

WOW.......I did it with my own name under a Google search and went right into the forum. I will INVESTIGATE this further and look forward to a reply from IPIU and follow up.

Jerome O Isaac-- is offline Sr. Distinguished Member:
    Private Investigators Forum

2007 Honorary Ambassador of Good Will
    Greetings Lisa, Terry, I too have done the same search and noticed the ridiculas headings that my name was attached to, but when I Clicked further on the links it showed that there were other companys that were advertising self help services which I find to be both Ethically and Morally wrong.

I felt comforted and assured when I tried to Click on my name to get further information about myself from the link; and was blocked by IPIU's software.

My Personal Opinion: Although I'd like to hear more from more experienced members here at IPIU, I'm not a bit concerned.

I know that IPIU's hard working Staff and Volunteers are on the job 24hrs and sends my greatest thanks and appreciation out to them. Keep up the good work guys!

Have a great day everyone.

Hi Jerome,

I feel a little better knowing that you cannot obtain further information about someone. I may not be happy that others may be able to gather information about what investigators do or how investigators obtain information. (ha-ha).
    I'm not really familiar with the software that IPIU uses, but it's good to know that your information was blocked by same.

Do I have any reason to worry about my badge # being out there?

Joyce Jameson - is offline Distinguished Member of:
    Private Investigators Forums

Member of International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)

Talking YES I'm there also

I just tried it and I came up with the same results, I was able to see all of my previous posts but could not get to my profile.

I'm not worried about it because I believe that you never type anything that you don't want to see on the front page of the paper, my dad told me that years ago and I still adhere to it religiously.

Hi Joyce,

Your dad sounds like a smart man. That's a good rule to live by. It's amazing what information people pick up on the internet. When my husband typed in my name, not only did the forum come up, but so did my father's obituary (on another website). I just think it's too much when someone can find out information about you because your name was printed in someone's obituary.

Oh well, such as life. As long as there's no identity theft going on, I'm good.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome O Isaac
    Greetings Lisa, Terry, I too have done the same search and noticed the ridiculas headings that my name was attached to, but when I Clicked further on the links it showed that there were other companys that were advertising self help services which I find to be both Ethically and Morally wrong.

I felt comforted and assured when I tried to Click on my name to get further information about myself from the link; and was blocked by IPIU's software.

My Personal Opinion: Although I'd like to hear more from more experienced members here at IPIU, I'm not a bit concerned.

I know that IPIU's hard working Staff and Volunteers are on the job 24hrs and sends my greatest thanks and appreciation out to them. Keep up the good work guys!

Jerome,
    I understand your point. I just don't like the fact that anyone can type my name into a search engine and track down what I have said, and what I have been doing as a part time career/hobby with IPIU. That's why I am particular about info I give out on a daily basis. Getting personal profile information is the easy part......we're investigators and can get most of the information that people don't want us to have anyways. But to have information that I'm even a private investigator through IPIU readily available - when I'm not prepared to let certain people know - is not good. IPIU......please look into this. Thanks

1) Only a few forums are in the Public Category that is available to all search engines. The remaining 400+ forums are PRIVATE & CONFIDENTIAL.

The only public details should be your name, state, and the optional Signature details that a member can author.

2) The International Private Investigators Union has 50,000+ members worldwide. We pride ourselves on the fact that real people use their real names and their real locations here, and especially in the Unsolicited Testimonial Forum . Other websites have discussions posted under phony names of people pretending to be someone they are not, as well as one person posting under multiple names in attempts to mislead others with their private agendas. We choose to be real.

However, IPIU also has members who are law enforcement and under cover private investigators. There are female members with unique names who are more protective about their names on the internet. For these type of members and others who wish to have their assigned User Name changed to an undercover name, they can go to the CONTACT FORM and request the change. It is that simple. Nevertheless, most private investigators use their real name and take common sense approaches when posting on the internet. Whatever balance members choose, we will support their needs.

Or, if a member would rather be removed completely, then use the CONTACT FORM to request removal and it will be done (which is extremely rare).

3) As for this topic, I have moved it to the Technical Support Forum and I have edited a few words for accurate clarity of the facts.
    Legal Affairs comments are not intended to be and should absolutely not be taken as legal advice. If you should require legal, tax, or financial advice, you must first enter into a written agreement with only a licensed professional for legal, tax, or financial services, signed by both you and the licensed professional, and paid a retainer in good funds. Legal Affairs is not, nor intends to be, nor solicits to be your licensed professional. Members accessing comments by Legal Affairs are required to be bound by their Terms of Use Agreement regarding Legal Affairs.

Greetings Lisa, Terry, I just want to say thanks for sharing this information here.

I extremely glad that both of you are members of IPIU, we're only humans and cannot know everything that's going on out there, I applaud you for quickly and timely alerting us as newcomers. I wish you both contunued success and all the best on the road ahead.

PS: If I forgot to welcome you earlier I would like to do so now "Welcome to IPIU"

[b]Many thanks to Legal Affairs for their help in this matter. keep up the good work.

Thanks you legal affairs........You have cleared up the issue and answered my concerned statements.

We have never had a single breach of our web server. Each time our web host offers us another security lock down program, we take it. Although we have never needed it, there has never been a breach either. Sleep well.

I may not be happy that others may be able to gather information about what investigators do or how investigators obtain information. (ha-ha).
    That is why you will see ALL of ther sensitive topics MOVED to the confidential forums rather than leave them in the public areas for children and others to read. As mentioned in an earlier answer, there are only a very few forums open to the guests, such as licensing laws, testimonials, and general news for the public. All other items are MOVED (if have to) to the Level 3 and Level 4 areas.

Do I have any reason to worry about my badge # being out there?
    No. Your badge was custom made and cannot be duplicated. The badge number is registered with IPIU in case of a loss or theft or a misuse.

Quote Originally Posted by Joyce Jameson
    I was able to see all of my previous posts but could not get to my profile.
    Not quite. Only the posts you posted in the public forums, not any of the 200+ CONFIDENTIAL Forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Joyce Jameson

... you never type anything that you don't want to see on the front page of the paper,
    Yes, the Public Forums are the FRONT PAGE of the Private Investigators Forums (all at the TOP of the Main Menu). All other sections are PRIVATE.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Frampton
    I just don't like the fact that anyone can type my name into a search engine and track down what I have said, and what I have been doing as a part time career/hobby with IPIU.
    As you have already posted, the policy is to protect you Terry. But at some point you have to decide the following:

1) Should I allow the world internet to see a photo of myself as a private investigator?

2) Should I allow the world to know that my name is associated with being a private investigator?

Consider that we are in the business of undercover investigations. Most targets will not come here or know your name. They are too busy with their lives. We do have an agency owner who uses her real name, but no photo for her personal protection. We have other PI's who use photos that are altered, and they use personas and alias' to protect themselves. Still, most PIs use their real names, locations, and are not worried about it. They do so because they are building their business and agency. They can always assign cases to their employees and keep off the streets.

I've often wanted to become certified in make-up and costumes. My spouse and I watch the old Baretta and Sherlock Holmes movies and are amazed at their undercover make up changes.

Shoo, was kinda worried myself there for awhile. I cant even access my own profile, I wouldn't want others too.

Joyce Jameson - is offline Distinguished Member of:
    Private Investigators Forums

Member of International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)

Thank you IPIU

Hi,
    I just wanted to call attention to the swift action of IPIU, as you can see this was 1st brought to their attention only about 2 weeks ago, out of sheer boredom today I decided to check it out, already they have worked their magic, I no longer pop up on google!
    Thank you IPIU for your speed, I still don't think it was an issue but just knowing that it was corrected shows the level of commitment that you have to us.

Greetings Joyce, nice to see you Yes, that's wonderful, isn't it. God Bless their little hearts.

PS: I see our friend is back ( fly, tweety, fly) haha haha hehe..

Have a great day.

Lisa:

I did asearch on my name and it came back with the same result. However, i echo the same the same comment as the other members have stated, "not to worry".