Thread: PI Licensing: Missouri

Donna Reagan is offline Administrator
    Private Investigators Forum

Licensed Private Investigator
    DHS Certified

PI Licensing: Missouri

NO STATE PI LICENSE REQUIRED
    If you fit into the following:

1. No PI License required if: A person employed exclusively and regularly by one employer in connection only with the affairs of such employer and where there exists an employer-employee relationship;

2. No PI License required if: A private investigator employee of an attorney; or an attorney performing duties as an attorney, or an attorney's paralegal or employee retained by such attorney assisting in the performance of such duties or investigation on behalf of such attorney;

3. No PI License required if: Employees of a company or organization or its affiliate or subsidiary, whether for-profit or not-for-profit, whose investigatory activities are limited to making and processing requests for criminal history records and other background information from state, federal, or local databases, including requests for employee background check information under section 660.317, RSMo;

4. No PI License required if: Any person performing duties or conducting investigations relating to serving legal process when such person's investigation is incidental to the serving of legal process;

5. No PI License required if: A private investigator employee of a collection agency while acting within the scope of employment, while making an investigation incidental to the business of the agency, including an investigation of the location of a debtor or a debtor's property where the contract with an assignor creditor is for the collection of claims owed or due, or asserted to be owed or due, or the equivalent thereof;

6. No PI License required if: Insurers and insurance producers licensed by the state, performing duties in connection with insurance transacted by them;

7. No PI License required if: Any bank subject to the jurisdiction of the director of the division of finance of the state of Missouri or the comptroller of currency of the United States;

8. No PI License required if: An insurance adjuster. For the purposes of sections 324.1100 to 324.1148, an "insurance adjuster" means any person who receives any consideration, either directly or indirectly, for adjusting in the disposal of any claim under or in connection with a policy of insurance or engaging in soliciting insurance adjustment business;

9. No PI License required if: Any private fire investigator whose primary purpose of employment is the determination of the origin, nature, cause, or calculation of losses relevant to a fire;

10. No PI License required if: Any real estate broker, real estate salesperson, or real estate appraiser acting within the scope of his or her license;

11. No PI License required if: Expert witnesses who have been certified or accredited by a national or state association associated with the expert's scope of expertise;

12. No PI License required if: Any person who does not hold themselves out to the public as a private investigator but is under contract with a state agency or political subdivision;

13. No PI License required if: A consumer reporting agency is defined in 15 U.S.C. Section 1681(a) and its contract and salaried employees.

14. No PI License required if: Any officer or employee of the United States, or of this state or a political subdivision thereof while engaged in the performance of the officer's or employee's official duties;

15. No PI License required if: Any employee, agent, or independent contractor employed by any government agency, division, or department of the state whose work relationship is established by a written contract while working within the scope of employment established under such contract.
    Source: http://www.moga.mo.gov/statutes/C300-399/3240001106.HTM

Verify a PI License:
    https://renew.pr.mo.gov/licensee-search.asp

At this time, we do not see there is any requirement to have prior work experience as a private investigator in order to qualify for a state PI License. So far, the state is only requiring money (approximately $500), a test (examination), insurance, and the usual photos, fingerprints, etc. We will keep you posted as July 1st approaches.

Missouri Revised Statutes
    Chapter 84
    Police Departments in St. Louis and Kansas City
    Section 84.340

Missouri
    P.O. Box 720
    Jefferson City, MO 65102

Changing cities

I am currently in Kansas City but eventually in a couple years will most likely end up in St. Louis. I just started the process to become a PI but would like to know ahead of time what Ill need to do to change licenses when the time comes. Any info is much appreciated. Thanks, T.J. Reid

DHS Certified
    Updated today for Kansas City, Missouri

Re: PI Licensing: Missouri

This is the kansas city missouri police website:

http://kcpd.org/

This is the kansas city missouri sheriff website for pistol and conceal carry info:

http://www.jacksongov.org/content/11...1/default.aspx

I have a Temp. lic. P.I. and i need Insurance for Perm Lic.

I am in Missouri, which has this rule that in order to have a lic.

Here is a copy of my e mail i sent out and what I got back.

Hello, I have a question I need to ask you or your assistant, I was Interested in offering some years of assistance to people in your city in MO.
    I want to Apply for a Private Investigators Lic. I can pass the BackGround,. I can pay the dues,. What I do not understand Is where is it written in the citys rule book that i need a $ 100,000.00 {One HundredThousand Dollar } Bond to fullfil the citys desire so i can get the Lic.??
    Please answer this I got a run around yesterday and i do not think the people in the records had a clue to the truth and 1 form of proof. But we did not get into the subject of 100,000.00 sureity Bond
    Please Reply

I almost just want to read the rule myself, From the book that has the law in it.
    The response:

"I apologize for the delay to your question. I’ve been doing some research on your specific situation with the departments involved, as well as conducting my normal day of business, thus the delay.In reviewing the Missouri Code of Ordinances, I found this specific section, which addresses your question.I’ve also included the website that has the City Code listed on it.
    If you have further questions, please contact me again.
    Thank you.

Sec. 70-124. Liability insurance.

No license shall be issued under this subdivision unless the applicant files with the director of finance an approved policy of public liability insurance, having coverage limits of $25,000.00 per person, $100,000.00 per incident, and $5,000.00 property damage. Such policy of insurance shall be maintained in full force and full coverage at all times the license is in effect and shall cover all employees who engage in investigative work, and shall comply with this division.
    (Code 1977, § 31-41(J))

http://www.municode.com/resources/ga...d=11060&sid=25

-------------------------------------------------------------------
    Is there any in this area that can shed some light on this paying out a 800.00 on insurance when i have not made a dime 1st seems kinda high...

Larry
    Last edited by Carmen Acai; 04-08-2007 at 12:58 PM.

Carmen Acai is offline *** Certified

Sr. Moderator
    Certified Distinguished Member
    Private Investigators Forums

Re: I have a Temp. lic. P.I. and i need Insurance for Perm Lic.

Dear Larry,

According to the Forum Rules, which - among other things - deals with the personal protection of our members, I had to do a lot of edits in your post above. Please visit this link: OATH, COVENANT, CODE OF ETHICS, and Mission Statement Agreement, read it carefully, and post your agreement in there.

When you are done with the above reading and your agreement to the Oath, Covenant, Code of Ethics and Mission Statement is posted like other newcomers did, please go here: http://www.ipiu.org/forums/showthread.php?t=30304 This is your introduction topic where Donna gave you two links to study. Please read them carefully and follow the instructions.

Among other things, you will find out that an important requirement is to post your questions or comments in the Forums with like subjects. This Forum is not the correct Forum for your question.

As regards your question above, Surety Bond is a "must have" thing and you cannot buy such an insurance from any insurance company. There are certain insurance companies which can issue a Surety Bond. Just do an Internet search by typing Surety Bond and you will get a lot of companies. Shop around.

Please read here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surety_bond

Towards the end, you have Examples of Surety Bond. Please click on the first link: Contractor License and Permit or here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/License_and_Permit

Reading is knowledge! Good luck to you!

Re: I have a Temp. lic. P.I. and i need Insurance for Perm Lic.

Larry, we will get an answer for you soon. In the meantime, I edited your post to show the proper quotes of who said what. Your post will soon be merged into the existing Missouri Licensing for Private Investigators, where we can examine the statutes. Thanks for your patience!

All my best,

Robert

Carmen Acai is offline *** Certified

Sr. Moderator
    Certified Distinguished Member

Hi, Larry! This is the thread where you can examine the Statutes for Missouri as Mr. Donovan advised you already. Please feel free to read everything and continue posting in here for any other question you might have.

This thread is part of the Lisensing Laws Only, Private Investigators, which displays the Statutes for each state.

Cheers,

Thad James is offline Private Investigator Forum Member

Member of:
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)

Thank you very much Donna! Ive been doing a lot of research on this matter. And believe me it was very complicated. I went to the Missouri licensing for private investigators in Jefferson City she gave me a number to call in Kansas City(My Residence). They in return sent me a packet from the Boards of Police Commissioners Division 10 Chapter 2-Private Security.

This I could not understand, I read the rules and 90% of this pamphlet cover Security Guard Work. The other 10% Private Investigator. Covered in section 17 CSR 10-2.050 Application for class A license stated Class A License issued to those requesting designation as private investigator shall also be tested on investigative techniques, the role of the investigator in police notification and illegal electronic surveillance. I'm contacting that address you posted Thank You!

So what the CURRENT law states is that as of right now you DO NOT need a company license to operate out of Missouri as long as I am not in the above exception cities...? Thank you in advance.

Here are the proposed statutes to go in effect on July 1, 2009.

Definitions.
    324.1100. As used in sections 324.1100 to 324.1148, the following terms mean:

(1) "Board", the board of private investigator examiners established in section 324.1102;

(2) "Client", any person who engages the services of a private investigator;

(3) "Department", the department of insurance, financial institutions and professional registration;

(4) "Law enforcement officer", a law enforcement officer as defined in section 556.061, RSMo;

(5) "Organization", a corporation, trust, estate, partnership, cooperative, or association;

(6) "Person", an individual or organization;

(7) "Private investigator", any person who receives any consideration, either directly or indirectly, for engaging in the private investigator business;

(8) "Private investigator agency", a person who regularly employs any other person, other than an organization, to engage in the private investigator business;

(9) "Private investigator business", the furnishing of, making of, or agreeing to make, any investigation for the purpose of obtaining information pertaining to:

(a) Crimes or wrongs done or threatened against the United States or any state or territory of the United States;

(b) The identity, habits, conduct, business, occupation, honesty, integrity, credibility, knowledge, trustworthiness, efficiency, loyalty, activity, movement, whereabouts, affiliations, associations, transactions, acts, reputation, or character of any person;

(c) The location, disposition, or recovery of lost or stolen property;

(d) Securing evidence to be used before any court, board, officer, or investigating committee;

(e) Sale of personal identification information to the public; or

(f) The cause of responsibility for libel, losses, accident, or damage or injury to persons or property or protection of life or property.

(L. 2007 H.B. 780 merged with S.B. 308)

Board created, members, qualifications, terms--fund created, use of moneys.
    324.1102. 1. The "Board of Private Investigator Examiners" is hereby created within the division of professional registration. The board shall be a body corporate and may sue and be sued.

2. The board shall be composed of five members, including two public members, appointed by the governor with the advice and consent of the senate. Except for the public members, each member of the board shall be a citizen of the United States, a resident of Missouri, at least thirty years of age, and shall have been actively engaged in the private investigator business for the previous five years. No more than one private investigator board member may be employed by, or affiliated with, the same private investigator agency. The initial private investigator board members shall not be required to be licensed but shall obtain a license within one hundred eighty days after the effective date of the rules promulgated under sections 324.1100 to 324.1148 regarding licensure. The public members shall each be a registered voter and a person who is not and never was a member of any profession licensed or regulated under sections 324.1100 to 324.1148 or the spouse of such person; and a person who does not have and never has had a material, financial interest in either the providing of the professional services regulated by sections 324.1100 to 324.1148, or an activity or organization directly related to any profession licensed or regulated under sections 324.1100 to 324.1148. The duties of the public members shall not include the determination of the technical requirements to be met for licensure or whether any person meets such technical requirements or of the technical competence or technical judgment of a licensee or a candidate for licensure.

3. The members shall be appointed for terms of two years, except those first appointed, in which case two members, who shall be private investigators, shall be appointed for terms of four years, two members shall be appointed for terms of three years, and one member shall be appointed for a one-year term. Any vacancy on the board shall be filled for the unexpired term of the member and in the manner as the first appointment. No member may serve consecutive terms.

4. The members of the board may receive compensation, as determined by the director for their services, if appropriate, and shall be reimbursed for actual and necessary expenses incurred in performing their official duties on the board.

5. There is hereby created in the state treasury the "Board of Private Investigator Examiners Fund", which shall consist of money collected under sections 324.1100 to 324.1148. The state treasurer shall be custodian of the fund and shall approve disbursements from the fund in accordance with the provisions of sections 30.170 and 30.180, RSMo. Upon appropriation, money in the fund shall be used solely for the administration of sections 324.1100 to 324.1148. The provisions of section 33.080, RSMo, to the contrary notwithstanding, money in this fund shall not be transferred and placed to the credit of general revenue until the amount in the fund at the end of the biennium exceeds two times the amount of the appropriation from the board's funds for the preceding fiscal year or, if the board requires by rule permit renewal less frequently than yearly, then three times the appropriation from the board's funds for the preceding fiscal year. The amount, if any, in the fund which shall lapse is that amount in the fund which exceeds the appropriate multiple of the appropriations from the board's funds for the preceding fiscal year.

(L. 2007 H.B. 780)
    *This section was enacted by H.B. 780 and S.B. 308 during the First Regular Session of the 94th General Assembly, 2007. Due to possible conflict, both versions of this section are printed here.

Board created, members, qualifications, terms--fund created, use of moneys.
    324.1102. 1. The "Board of Private Investigator Examiners" is hereby created within the division of professional registration. The board shall be a body corporate and may sue and be sued.

2. The board shall be composed of five members, including two public members, appointed by the governor with the advice and consent of the senate. Except for the public members, each member of the board shall be a citizen of the United States, a resident of Missouri, at least thirty years of age, and shall have been actively engaged in the private investigator business for the previous five years. No more than one private investigator board member may be employed by, or affiliated with, the same private investigator agency. The initial private investigator board members shall not be required to be licensed but shall obtain a license within one hundred eighty days after the effective date of the rules promulgated under sections 324.1100 to 324.1148 regarding licensure. The public members shall each be a registered voter and a person who is not and never was a member of any profession licensed or regulated under sections 324.1100 to 324.1148 or the spouse of such person; and a person who does not have and never has had a material, financial interest in either the providing of the professional services regulated by sections 324.1100 to 324.1148, or an activity or organization directly related to any profession licensed or regulated under sections 324.1100 to 324.1148. The duties of the public members shall not include the determination of the technical requirements to be met for licensure or whether any person meets such technical requirements or of the technical competence or technical judgment of a licensee or a candidate for licensure.

3. The members shall be appointed for terms of two years, except those first appointed, in which case two members, who shall be private investigators, shall be appointed for terms of four years, two members shall be appointed for terms of three years, and one member shall be appointed for a one-year term. Any vacancy on the board shall be filled for the unexpired term of the member and in the manner as the first appointment. No member may serve consecutive terms.

4. The members of the board may receive compensation, as determined by the director for their services, if appropriate, and shall be reimbursed for actual and necessary expenses incurred in performing their official duties on the board.

5. There is hereby created in the state treasury the "Board of Private Investigator Examiners Fund", which shall consist of money collected under sections 324.1100 to 324.1148. The state treasurer shall be custodian of the fund and shall approve disbursements from the fund in accordance with the provisions of sections 30.170 and 30.180, RSMo. Upon appropriation, money in the fund shall be used solely for the administration of sections 324.1100 to 324.1148. Notwithstanding the provisions of section 33.080, RSMo, to the contrary, any moneys remaining in the fund at the end of the biennium shall not revert to the credit of the general revenue fund. The state treasurer shall invest moneys in the fund in the same manner as other funds are invested. Any interest and moneys earned on such investments shall be credited to the fund.

(L. 2007 S.B. 308)
    *This section was enacted by H.B. 780 and S.B. 308 during the First Regular Session of the 94th General Assembly, 2007. Due to possible conflict, both versions of this section are printed here.

Prohibited acts.
    324.1104. Unless expressly exempted from the provisions of sections 324.1100 to 324.1148:

(1) It shall be unlawful for any person to engage in the private investigator business in this state unless such person is licensed as a private investigator under sections 324.1100 to 324.1148;

(2) It shall be unlawful for any person to engage in business in this state as a private investigator agency unless such person is licensed under sections 324.1100 to 324.1148.

Persons deemed not to be engaging in private investigation business.
    324.1106. The following persons shall not be deemed to be engaging in the private investigator business:

(1) A person employed exclusively and regularly by one employer in connection only with the affairs of such employer and where there exists an employer-employee relationship;

(2) Any officer or employee of the United States, or of this state or a political subdivision thereof while engaged in the performance of the officer's or employee's official duties;

(3) Any employee, agent, or independent contractor employed by any government agency, division, or department of the state whose work relationship is established by a written contract while working within the scope of employment established under such contract;

(4) An attorney performing duties as an attorney, or an attorney's paralegal or employee retained by such attorney assisting in the performance of such duties or investigation on behalf of such attorney;

(5) A collection agency or an employee thereof while acting within the scope of employment, while making an investigation incidental to the business of the agency, including an investigation of the location of a debtor or a debtor's property where the contract with an assignor creditor is for the collection of claims owed or due, or asserted to be owed or due, or the equivalent thereof;

(6) Insurers and insurance producers licensed by the state, performing duties in connection with insurance transacted by them;

(7) Any bank subject to the jurisdiction of the director of the division of finance of the state of Missouri or the comptroller of currency of the United States;

(8) An insurance adjuster. For the purposes of sections 324.1100 to 324.1148, an "insurance adjuster" means any person who receives any consideration, either directly or indirectly, for adjusting in the disposal of any claim under or in connection with a policy of insurance or engaging in soliciting insurance adjustment business;

(9) Any private fire investigator whose primary purpose of employment is the determination of the origin, nature, cause, or calculation of losses relevant to a fire;

(10) Employees of a not-for-profit organization or its affiliate or subsidiary, whether for-profit or not-for-profit, whose investigatory activities are limited to making and processing requests for criminal history records and other background information from state, federal, or local databases, including requests for employee background check information under section 660.317, RSMo;

(11) Any real estate broker, real estate salesperson, or real estate appraiser acting within the scope of his or her license;

(12) Expert witnesses who have been certified or accredited by a national or state association associated with the expert's scope of expertise;

(13) Any person who does not hold themselves out to the public as a private investigator but is under contract with a state agency or political subdivision;

(14) Any person performing duties or conducting investigations relating to serving legal process when such person's investigation is incidental to the serving of legal process; or

(15) A consumer reporting agency is defined in 15 U.S.C. Section 1681(a) and its contract and salaried employees.

(L. 2007 H.B. 780)
    *This section was enacted by H.B. 780 and S.B. 308 during the First Regular Session of the 94th General Assembly, 2007. Due to possible conflict, both versions are printed here.

Persons deemed not to be engaging in private investigation business.
    324.1106. The following persons shall not be deemed to be engaging in the private investigator business:

(1) A person employed exclusively and regularly by one employer in connection only with the affairs of such employer and where there exists an employer-employee relationship;

(2) Any officer or employee of the United States, or of this state or a political subdivision thereof while engaged in the performance of the officer's or employee's official duties;

(3) Any employee, agent, or independent contractor employed by any government agency, division, or department of the state whose work relationship is established by a written contract while working within the scope of employment established under such contract;

(4) An attorney performing duties as an attorney, or an attorney's paralegal or employee retained by such attorney assisting in the performance of such duties or investigation on behalf of such attorney;

(5) A collection agency or an employee thereof while acting within the scope of employment, while making an investigation incidental to the business of the agency, including an investigation of the location of a debtor or a debtor's property where the contract with an assignor creditor is for the collection of claims owed or due, or asserted to be owed or due, or the equivalent thereof;

(6) Insurers and insurance producers licensed by the state, performing duties in connection with insurance transacted by them;

(7) Any bank subject to the jurisdiction of the director of the division of finance of the state of Missouri or the comptroller of currency of the United States;

(8) An insurance adjuster. For the purposes of sections 324.1100 to 324.1148, an "insurance adjuster" means any person who receives any consideration, either directly or indirectly, for adjusting in the disposal of any claim under or in connection with a policy of insurance or engaging in soliciting insurance adjustment business;

(9) Any private fire investigator whose primary purpose of employment is the determination of the origin, nature, cause, or calculation of losses relevant to a fire;

(10) Employees of a not-for-profit organization or its affiliate or subsidiary who makes and processes requests on behalf of health care providers and facilities for employee criminal and other background information under section 660.317, RSMo;

(11) Any real estate broker, real estate salesperson, or real estate appraiser acting within the scope of his or her license;

(12) Expert witnesses who have been certified or accredited by a national or state association associated with the expert's scope of expertise;

(13) Any person who does not hold themselves out to the public as a private investigator but is under contract with a state agency or political subdivision; or

(14) Any person performing duties or conducting investigations relating to serving legal process when such person's investigation is incidental to the serving of legal process;

(15) A consumer reporting agency as defined in 15 U.S.C. Section 1681(a) and its contract and salaried employees.

(L. 2007 S.B. 308)
    *This section was enacted by H.B. 780 and S.B. 308 during the First Regular Session of the 94th General Assembly, 2007. Due to possible conflict, both versions are printed here.

Application for licensure, contents--qualifications.
    324.1108. 1. Every person desiring to be licensed in this state as a private investigator or private investigator agency shall make application therefor to the board of private investigator examiners. An application for a license under the provisions of sections 324.1100 to 324.1148 shall be on a form prescribed by the board of private investigator examiners and accompanied by the required application fee. An application shall be verified and shall include:

(1) The full name and business address of the applicant;

(2) The name under which the applicant intends to conduct business;

(3) A statement as to the general nature of the business in which the applicant intends to engage;

(4) A statement as to the classification or classifications under which the applicant desires to be qualified;

(5) Two recent photographs of the applicant, of a type prescribed by the board of private investigator examiners, and two classifiable sets of the applicant's fingerprints processed in a manner approved by the Missouri state highway patrol, criminal records and identification division, under section 43.543, RSMo;

(6) A verified statement of the applicant's experience qualifications; and

(7) Such other information, evidence, statements, or documents as may be required by the board of private investigator examiners.

2. Before an application for a license may be granted, the applicant shall:

(1) Be at least twenty-one years of age;

(2) Be a citizen of the United States;

(3) Provide proof of liability insurance with amount to be no less than two hundred fifty thousand dollars in coverage and proof of workers' compensation insurance if required under chapter 287, RSMo. The board shall have the authority to raise the requirements as deemed necessary; and

(4) Comply with such other qualifications as the board adopts by rules and regulations.

Examination is required--background investigation required--waiver of testing, showing required.
    324.1110. 1. The board of private investigator examiners shall require as a condition of licensure as a private investigator that the applicant pass a written examination as evidence of knowledge of investigator rules and regulations.

2. The department shall conduct a complete investigation of the background of each applicant for licensure as a private investigator to determine whether the applicant is qualified for licensure under sections 324.1100 to 324.1148. The board shall and will outline basic qualification requirements for licensing as a private investigator and agency.

3. In the event requirements have been met so that testing has been waived, qualification shall be dependent on a showing of, for the two previous years:

(1) Registration and good standing as a business in this state; and

(2) Two hundred fifty thousand dollars in business general liability insurance.

4. The board may review applicants seeking reciprocity. An applicant seeking reciprocity shall have undergone a licensing procedure similar to that required by this state and shall meet this state's minimum insurance requirements.

Denial of a request for licensure, when.
    324.1112. The board of private investigator examiners may deny a request for a license if the applicant:

(1) Has committed any act which, if committed by a licensee, would be grounds for the suspension or revocation of a license under the provisions of sections 324.1100 to 324.1148;

(2) Within two years prior to the application date:

(a) Has been convicted of or entered a plea of guilty or nolo contendere to a felony offense, including the receiving of a suspended imposition of sentence following a plea or finding of guilty to a felony offense;

(b) Has been convicted of or entered a plea of guilty or nolo contendere to a misdemeanor offense involving moral turpitude;

(c) Has falsified or willfully misrepresented information in an employment application, records of evidence, or in testimony under oath;

(d) Has been dependent on or abused alcohol or drugs; or

(e) Has used, possessed, or trafficked in any illegal substance;

(3) Has been refused a license under the provisions of sections 324.1100 to 324.1148 or had a license revoked in this state or in any other state;

(4) While unlicensed, committed or aided and abetted the commission of any act for which a license is required by sections 324.1100 to 324.1148 after August 28, 2007; or

(5) Knowingly made any false statement in the application.

Fee required--license for individuals only, agency license must be applied for separately.
    324.1114. 1. Every application submitted under the provisions of sections 324.1100 to 324.1148 shall be accompanied by a fee as determined by the board as follows:

(1) For an individual license, agency license and employees being licensed to work under an agency license; or

(2) If a license is issued for a period of less than one year, the fee shall be prorated for the months, or fraction thereof, for which the license is issued.

2. The board shall set fees as authorized by sections 324.1100 to 324.1148 at a level to produce revenue which will not substantially exceed the cost and expense of administering sections 324.1100 to 324.1148.

3. The fees prescribed by sections 324.1100 to 324.1148 shall be exclusive and notwithstanding any other provision of law. No municipality may require any person licensed under sections 324.1100 to 324.1148 to furnish any bond, pass any examination, or pay any license fee or occupational tax relative to practicing the person's profession.

4. A private investigator license shall allow only the individual licensed by the state to conduct investigations. An agency license shall be applied for separately and held by an individual who is licensed as a private investigator. The agency may hire individuals to work for the agency conducting investigations for the agency only. Persons hired shall make application as determined by the board and meet all requirements set forth by the board except that they shall not be required to meet any experience requirements and shall be allowed to begin working immediately upon the agency submitting their applications.

Agency hiring criteria.
    324.1116. A private investigator agency shall not hire any individual as an employee unless the individual:

(1) Is at least twenty-one years of age;

(2) Provides two recent photographs of themselves, of a type prescribed by the board of private investigator examiners;

(3) Has been fingerprinted in a manner approved by the Missouri state highway patrol, criminal records and identification division, under section 43.543, RSMo; and

(4) Complies with any other qualifications and requirements the board adopts by rule.

Prohibited acts.
    324.1118. A private investigator agency shall not hire an individual, who is not licensed as a private investigator, as an employee if the individual:

(1) Has committed any act which, if committed by a licensee, would be grounds for the suspension or revocation of a license under the provisions of sections 324.1100 to 324.1148;

(2) Within two years prior to the hiring date:

(a) Has been convicted of or entered a plea of guilty or nolo contendere to a felony offense, including the receiving of a suspended imposition of sentence following a plea or finding of guilty to a felony offense;

(b) Has been convicted of or entered a plea of guilty or nolo contendere to a misdemeanor offense involving moral turpitude;

(c) Has falsified or willfully misrepresented information in an employment application, records of evidence, or in testimony under oath;

(3) Has been refused a license under the provisions of sections 324.1100 to 324.1148 or had a license revoked in this state or in any other state;

(4) While unlicensed, committed or aided and abetted the commission of any act for which a license is required by sections 324.1100 to 324.1148 after August 28, 2007; or

(L. 2007 H.B. 780)
    *This section was enacted by H.B. 780 and S.B. 308 during the First Regular Session of the 94th General Assembly, 2007. Due to possible conflict, both version are printed here.

Licensure required--prohibited acts
    324.1118. A private investigator agency shall not hire an individual, who is not licensed as a private investigator, as an employee if the individual:

(2) Within two years prior to the application date:

(L. 2007 S.B. 308)

Supervision of agency employees required, when.
    324.1120. An individual, who is not licensed as a private investigator, hired as an employee by a private investigator agency shall work only under the direct supervision of the agency whose identification number appears on their application and shall work only for one agency at any one time.

Continuing education requirements.
    324.1122. A licensee shall successfully complete sixteen hours of continuing education units biennially. An individual not licensed as a private investigator who is hired as an employee by a private investigator agency shall successfully complete eight hours of continuing education units biennially. Such continuing education shall be relevant to the private investigator business and shall be approved by the board as such.

Form of license, contents--posting requirements.
    324.1124. 1. The board of private investigator examiners shall determine the form of the license which shall include the:

(1) Name of the licensee;

(2) Name under which the licensee is to operate; and

(3) Number and date of the license.

2. The license shall be posted at all times in a conspicuous place in the principal place of business of the licensee. Upon the issuance of a license, a pocket card of such size, design, and content as determined by the division shall be issued without charge to each licensee. Such card shall be evidence that the licensee is licensed under sections 324.1100 to 324.1148. When any person to whom a card is issued terminates such person's position, office, or association with the licensee, the card shall be surrendered to the licensee and within five days thereafter shall be mailed or delivered by the licensee to the board of private investigator examiners for cancellation. Within thirty days after any change of address, a licensee shall notify the board of the address change. The principal place of business may be at a residence or at a business address, but it shall be the place at which the licensee maintains a permanent office.

Expiration of license, when--renewal--licensee responsible for good conduct of employees.
    324.1126. 1. Any license issued under sections 324.1100 to 324.1148 shall expire two years after the date of its issuance. Renewal of any such license shall be made in the manner prescribed for obtaining an original license, including payment of the appropriate fee, except that:

(1) The application upon renewal need only provide information required of original applicants if the information shown on the original application or any renewal thereof on file with the board is no longer accurate;

(2) A new photograph shall be submitted with the application for renewal only if the photograph on file with the board has been on file more than two years; and

(3) The applicant does not have to be tested again but must instead provide proof that the applicant successfully completed sixteen hours of continuing education credits; and

(4) Additional information may be required by rules and regulations adopted by the board of private investigator examiners.

2. A licensee shall at all times be legally responsible for the good conduct of each of the licensee's employees or agents while engaged in the business of the licensee and the licensee is legally responsible for any acts committed by such licensee's employees or agents which are in violation of sections 324.1100 to 324.1148. A person receiving an agency license shall directly manage the agency and employees.

3. A license issued under sections 324.1100 to 324.1148 shall not be assignable.

Information regarding criminal offenses, licensee may divulge, when, exceptions--prohibited acts.
    324.1128. 1. Any licensee may divulge to the board, any law enforcement officer, prosecuting attorney, or such person's representative any information such person may acquire about any criminal offense. The licensee may instruct his or her client to divulge such information if the client is the victim, but such person shall not divulge to any other person, except as he or she may be required by law, any information acquired by such person at the direction of the employer or client for whom the information was obtained.

2. No licensee officer, director, partner, associate, or employee thereof shall:

(1) Knowingly make any false report to his or her employer or client for whom information was being obtained;

(2) Cause any written report to be submitted to a client except by the licensee, and the person submitting the report shall exercise diligence in ascertaining whether or not the facts and information in such report are true and correct;

(3) Use a title, wear a uniform, use an insignia or an identification card, or make any statement with the intent to give an impression that such person is connected in any way with the federal government, a state government, or any political subdivision of a state government;

(4) Appear as an assignee party in any proceeding involving claim and delivery, replevin or other possessory action, action to foreclose a chattel mortgage, mechanic's lien, materialman's lien, or any other lien;

(5) Manufacture false evidence; or

(6) Create any video recording of an individual in their domicile without the individual's permission. Furthermore, if such video recording is made, it shall not be admissible as evidence in any civil proceeding.

Records to be maintained--required filings.
    324.1130. Each licensee shall maintain a record containing such information relative to the licensee's employees as may be prescribed by the board of private investigator examiners. Such licensee shall file with the board the complete address of the location of the licensee's principal place of business. The board may require the filing of other information for the purpose of identifying such principal place of business.

Advertising requirements.
    324.1132. Every advertisement by a licensee soliciting or advertising business shall contain the licensee's name, city, and state as it appears in the records of the board of private investigator examiners. No individual or business can advertise as a private investigator, private detective, or private investigator agency without including their state private investigator or private investigator agency license number in the advertisement. A licensee shall not advertise or conduct business from any Missouri address other than that shown on the records of the board as the licensee's principal place of business unless the licensee has received an additional agency license for such location after compliance with the provisions of sections 324.1100 to 324.1148 and such additional requirements necessary for the protection of the public as the board may prescribe by regulation. A licensee shall notify the board in writing within ten days after closing or changing the location of a branch office. The fee for the additional license shall be one-half the cost of the fee for the agency's original license.

Licensure sanctions permitted, procedure--complaint may be filed with administrative hearing commission--disciplinary action authorized, when.
    324.1134. 1. The board may suspend or refuse to renew any certificate of registration or authority, permit or license required under sections 324.1100 to 324.1148 for one or any combination of causes stated in subsection 2 of this section. The board shall notify the applicant in writing of the reasons for the suspension or refusal and shall advise the applicant of the applicant's right to file a complaint with the administrative hearing commission as provided by chapter 621, RSMo. As an alternative to a refusal to issue or renew any certificate, registration or authority, the board may, at its discretion, issue a license which is subject to probation, restriction or limitation to an applicant for licensure for any one or any combination of causes stated in subsection 2 of this section. The board's order of probation, limitation or restriction shall contain a statement of the discipline imposed, the basis therefor, the date such action shall become effective, and a statement that the applicant has thirty days to request in writing a hearing before the administrative hearing commission. If the board issues a probationary, limited or restricted license to an applicant for licensure, either party may file a written petition with the administrative hearing commission within thirty days of the effective date of the probationary, limited or restricted license seeking review of the board's determination. If no written request for a hearing is received by the administrative hearing commission within the thirty-day period, the right to seek review of the board's decision shall be considered as waived.

2. The board may cause a complaint to be filed with the administrative hearing commission as provided by chapter 621, RSMo, against any holder of any certificate of registration or authority, permit or license required by this chapter or any person who has failed to renew or has surrendered the person's certificate of registration or authority, permit or license for any one or any combination of the following causes:

(1) Making any false statement or giving any false information or given any false information in connection with an application for a license or a renewal or reinstatement thereof;

(2) Violating any provision of sections 324.1100 to 324.1148;

(3) Violating any rule of the board of private investigator examiners adopted under the authority contained in sections 324.1100 to 324.1148;

(4) Impersonating, or permitting or aiding and abetting an employee to impersonate, a law enforcement officer or employee of the United States of America, or of any state or political subdivision thereof;

(5) Committing, or permitting any employee to commit any act, while the license was expired, which would be cause for the suspension or revocation of a license, or grounds for the denial of an application for a license;

(6) Knowingly violating, or advising, encouraging, or assisting the violation of, any court order or injunction in the course of business as a licensee;

(7) Using any letterhead, advertisement, or other printed matter, or in any manner whatever represented that such person is an instrumentality of the federal government, a state, or any political subdivision thereof;

(8) Using a name different from that under which such person is currently licensed in any advertisement, solicitation, or contract for business; or

(9) Committing any act which is grounds for denial of an application for a license under section 324.1112.

3. The record of conviction, or a certified copy thereof, shall be conclusive evidence of such conviction, and a plea or verdict of guilty is deemed to be a conviction within the meaning thereof.

4. The agency may continue under the direction of another employee if the licensee's license is suspended or revoked by the board. The board shall establish a time frame in which the agency shall identify an acceptable person who is qualified to assume control of the agency, as required by the board.

5. After the filing of a complaint before the administrative hearing commission, the proceedings shall be conducted in accordance with the provisions of chapter 621, RSMo. Upon a finding by the administrative hearing commission that the grounds in subsection 1 of this section for disciplinary action are met, the board may singly or in combination censure or place the person named in the complaint on probation under such terms and conditions as the board deems appropriate for a period not to exceed five years, may suspend for a period not to exceed three years, or revoke the license.

Record-keeping requirements--investigatory powers of the board.
    324.1136. 1. Each private investigator or investigator agency operating under the provisions of sections 324.1100 to 324.1148 shall be required to keep a complete record of the business transactions of such investigator or investigator agency for a period of seven years. Upon the service of a court order issued by a court of competent jurisdiction or upon the service of a subpoena issued by the board that is based on a complaint supported by oath or affirmation, which particularly describes the records and reports, any licensed private investigator who is the owner, partner, director, corporate officer, or custodian of business records shall provide an opportunity for the inspection of the same and to inspect reports made. Any information obtained by the board shall be kept confidential, except as may be necessary to commence and prosecute any legal proceedings. The board shall not personally enter a licensee's place of business to inspect records, but shall utilize an employee of the division of professional registration to act as a gatherer of information and facts to present to the board regarding any complaint or inspection under investigation.

2. For the purpose of enforcing the provisions of sections 324.1100 to 324.1148, and in making investigations relating to any violation thereof, the board shall have the power to subpoena and bring before the board any person in this state and require the production of any books, records, or papers which the board deems relevant to the inquiry. The board also may administer an oath to and take the testimony of any person, or cause such person's deposition to be taken, except that any applicant or licensee or officer, director, partner, or associate thereof shall not be entitled to any fees or mileage. A subpoena issued under this section shall be governed by the Missouri rules of civil procedure and shall comply with any confidentiality standards or legal limitations imposed by privacy or open records acts, fair credit reporting acts, polygraph acts, driver privacy protection acts, judicially recognized privileged communications, and the bill of rights of both the United States and Missouri Constitutions. Any person duly subpoenaed who fails to obey such subpoena without reasonable cause, or without such cause refuses to be examined or to answer any legal or pertinent question as to the character or qualification of such applicant or licensee or such applicant's alleged unlawful or deceptive practices or methods, shall be guilty of a class A misdemeanor. The testimony of witnesses in any investigative proceeding shall be under oath.

Rulemaking authority.
    324.1138. 1. The board shall adopt such rules and regulations as may be necessary to carry out the provisions of sections 324.1100 to 324.1148.

2. Any rule or portion of a rule, as that term is defined in section 536.010, RSMo, that is created under the authority delegated in sections 324.1100 to 324.1148 shall become effective only if it complies with and is subject to all of the provisions of chapter 536, RSMo, and, if applicable, section 536.028, RSMo. This section and chapter 536, RSMo, are nonseverable and if any of the powers vested with the general assembly under chapter 536, RSMo, to review, to delay the effective date, or to disapprove and annul a rule are subsequently held unconstitutional, then the grant of rulemaking authority and any rule proposed or adopted after August 28, 2007, shall be invalid and void.

Board to certify persons qualified to train private investigators, qualifications--application procedure--certificate granted, when--expiration of certificate.
    324.1140. 1. The board of private investigator examiners shall certify persons who are qualified to train private investigators.

2. In order to be certified as a trainer under this section, a trainer shall:

(1) Be twenty-one or more years of age;

(2) Have a minimum of one-year supervisory experience with a private investigator agency; and

(3) Be personally licensed as a private investigator under sections 324.1100 to 324.1148 and qualified to train private investigators.

3. Persons wishing to become certified trainers shall make application to the board of private investigator examiners on a form prescribed by the board and accompanied by a fee determined by the board. The application shall contain a statement of the plan of operation of the training offered by the applicant and the materials and aids to be used and any other information required by the board.

4. A certificate shall be granted to a trainer if the board finds that the applicant:

(1) Meets the requirements of subsection 2 of this section;

(2) Has sufficient knowledge of private investigator business in order to train private investigators sufficiently;

(3) Has supplied all required information to the board; and

(4) Has paid the required fee.

5. The certificate issued under this section shall expire on the third year after the year in which it is issued and shall be renewable triennially upon application and payment of a fee.

Falsification of required information, penalties.
    324.1142. Any person who knowingly falsifies the fingerprints or photographs or other information required to be submitted under sections 324.1100 to 324.1148 is guilty of a class D felony; and any person who violates any of the other provisions of sections 324.1100 to 324.1148 is guilty of a class A misdemeanor.

Reciprocity.
    324.1144. The board may negotiate and enter into reciprocal agreements with appropriate officials in other states to permit licensed private investigator agencies and licensed private investigators who meet or exceed the qualifications established in sections 324.1100 to 324.1148 to operate across state lines under mutually acceptable terms.

Licensure of law enforcement officers, qualifications.
    324.1146. Law enforcement officers who perform private investigations shall be licensed under this chapter subject to the following qualifications and limitations:

(1) The board may waive testing for law enforcement officers currently certified under existing peace officer standards and training requirements under chapter 590, RSMo;

(2) Law enforcement officers shall pay the appropriate licensing fees;

(3) Law enforcement officers shall assume individual liability for their actions while performing private investigations, complying with any insurance or bonding requirements imposed under sections 324.1100 to 324.1148;

(4) Law enforcement officers shall not utilize their official capacity in the course of a private investigation, including but not limited to:

(a) Accessing information intended only for police officials. Law enforcement officers shall comply with the legal limits on access to the information of private citizens;

(b) Utilizing any official item, such as a uniform, badge, or vehicle, while performing a private investigation. Law enforcement officers shall provide their own equipment;

(c) Utilizing law enforcement officer arrest and use of force standards. Law enforcement officers shall use private citizen arrest and use of force standards while operating as a private investigator;

(5) Law enforcement officers shall produce evidence of training and experience concerning the legal limits imposed on private investigations or pass a test on such subject produced by the board; and

(6) The provisions of sections 324.1100 to 324.1148 shall not apply to law enforcement officers who provide only private security services and not private investigator services.

Violations, penalty.
    324.1148. Any person who violates sections 324.1100 to 324.1148 is guilty of a class A misdemeanor. Any second or subsequent violation of sections 324.1100 to 324.1148 is a class D felony.

David Copeland is offline Administrator

Sponsored by:

Donald, thank you for the alert. We have revised Post #1 in this topic to show the latest news on the pending license requirements and statutes that are to take effect on July 1, 2009.

Until then, the other procedures are still in effect.
    David Copeland
    Administrator

START WITH TRUST
    When you see the Better Business Bureau Seal, it means the
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU) has agreed to:

TELL THE TRUTH, KEEP ITS PROMISES, BE RESPONSIVE
    www.ipiu.org | IPIU Web Store
    Official BBB Accreditation Link | Contact IPIU
    Founded in 1989 - Celebrating our 32nd Year Serving 48,373 Members

CONTACT LINK HERE TO JOIN IPIU

Teresa Armstrong is offline Private Investigator Forum Member

Member of:

Thank you for this info. Teresa Armstrong

Member of:

Question Re: PI Licensing: Missouri

Wow, that's alot of helpful info. If I reside in one city, but work in another, do I have to have a license for the city I work in?
    Ms Teresa Armstrong

Paul Waguespack is offline Private Investigator Forum Member

Member of:

Quote Originally Posted by Donna Reagan View Post
    However, the following cities still do have their own PI Licensing requirements:
    • Kansas City has a City PI License
    • St Louis has a City PI License
    • Joplin has a City PI License
    • St Joseph has a City PI License
    • Springfield has a City PI License
    The cities listed above require licensing inside their city limits. Some have exceptions for certain job duties others do not. It is best to contact the licensing authority directly and obtain the current requirements if you wish to work in their jurisdictions.

For Kansas City, Missouri, see Title 17 for regulations and requirements for private security and private investigators.

They are located at:

KCMO Police Department
    Private Officers Licensing Section
    635 Woodland, Suite 2104
    Kansas City, Missouri 64106
    816-889-6600
    Fax 816-889-6609

The state of Missouri will be licensing private investigators soon.

The PDF LINK FOR FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS for the Board of Private Investigator Examiners was revised on 3/24/2009

The following is an excerpt from the FAQ page:

WHEN WILL LICENSURE BEGIN IN MISSOURI?
    At the present time the board and staff are writing the rules in order to implement the statutes. The projected licensure date is sometime in October or November, 2009.
    WHEN WILL APPLICATIONS FOR LICENSURE BE AVAILABLE?
    We are currently in the drafting stage for all forms that will be needed for licensure. It is anticipated that these forms will be available in the summer of 2009. Application forms will be distributed to everyone on the mailing list and upon individual request.
    IF LICENSURE BEGINS ON NOVEMBER 1, 2009 IS IT MANDATORY ON NOVEMBER 1, 2009 TO HOLD A LICENSE IN ORDER TO PRACTICE AS A PRIVATE INVESTIGATOR?
    No, if licensure begins on NOVEMBER 1, 2009 applicants will be given approximately 1 year in which to file an application and become licensed.
    Hope this helps
    Paul

Member of:

I gather that means if I do jobs in St. Louis I need to be licensed there. Thanks, I will look into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Teresa Armstrong View Post
    I gather that means if I do jobs in St. Louis I need to be licensed there.
    Not necessarily.

• If you live outside of St Louis in an unregulated area, then you do not need a PI License to advertise - as long as you have an address and a phone that is not inside St Louis.

• If a case takes you inside the City of St Louis, then you must first determine if any portion of the case is regulated or unregulated.

• You do not need any PI License anywhere in the USA to advertise and conduct unregulated portions of a case.

• If a portion of your case is regulated, then use the free IPIU Referral program to have a licensed PI sub contract with you to perform the regulated portion of your case. You will still earn money when you sub contract.

You may also wish to consider setting up your own national PI Agency Corporation License based out of Denver, Colorado. This allows you to "originate" a case with your client through your Colorado PI Agency, which will allow you to personally work any of the unregulated portions of the case - and sub-contract any potential regulated portions of the case to a licensed PI.

But if any of your clients just want you to provide "information" from your online searches, then it is doubtful you will need to sub-contract a licensed PI for those types of cases.

Some details for the Colorado PI Agency Corporation License:
    • First Year Set-up: $299.99 (reg $799)
    • Renewals each year: As low as $99 (early bird)

For more details, go to the following credit card link:
    http://www.privateinvestigators.cc/p...oducts_id=1584

Other details on using your National PI Agency through the Colorado Office Program - which is included:

http://www.ipiu.org/forums/showthread.php?t=33538

and here:
    http://www.ipiu.org/forums/showthread.php?t=30903

Once you are a corporation owner, then you have free access to the Corporation Owners Forum for one-on-one help.
    Legal Affairs comments are not intended to be and should absolutely not be taken as legal advice. If you should require legal, tax, or financial advice, you must first enter into a written agreement with only a licensed professional for legal, tax, or financial services, signed by both you and the licensed professional, and paid a retainer in good funds. Legal Affairs is not, nor intends to be, nor solicits to be your licensed professional. Members accessing comments by Legal Affairs are required to be bound by their Terms of Use Agreement regarding Legal Affairs.

Member of:

Thumbs up Re: PI Licensing: Missouri

Thank you for the info. I'm not quite ready for an office, but I know where to go when I am ready.

2009 - 2010 Professional Management Member of:

http://pr.mo.gov/boards/pi/PI%20Rules.pdf
    Here are the new Laws for Missouri.

DHS Certified

Quote Originally Posted by Carl DeLancey View Post
    http://pr.mo.gov/boards/pi/PI%20Rules.pdf
    Here are the new Laws for Missouri.
    Carl, there will be no state licensing in Missouri until after February, 2010

Source:
    http://pr.mo.gov/boards/pi/faqs.pdf

The official 30 day comment period will be from August 3, 2009 to September 4, 2009. If you have comments please submit them in writing to:

Board of Private Investigator Examiners
    PO Box 1335
    Jefferson City MO 65102

or to Pam.Groose@pr.mo.gov
    or to pi@pr.mo.gov
    between August 3, 2009 and September 4, 2009.

If you have questions or suggested changes please submit those in writing either via e-mail to Pam.Groose@ pr.mo.gov or mail to

Board of Private Investigator Examiners
    PO Box 1335
    Jefferson City MO 65102.

Title 20—DEPARTMENT OF INSURANCE, FINANCIAL INSTITUTIONS AND PROFESSIONAL REGISTRATION
    Division 2234—Board of Private Investigator Examiners

Chapter 1—General Rules

PROPOSED RULE
    20 CSR 2234-1.010 Definitions

PURPOSE: This rule defines terms used in 20 CSR 2234.

(1) Branch office—Any additional office licensed under the primary office.

(2) Division—Division of Professional Registration.

(3) Employee—

(A) Agency non-investigator employee—An employee of an agency who is not a licensed private investigator and does not directly participate in private investigations.

(B) Agency investigator employee—An individual licensed and supervised through the licensed agency to conduct private investigations.

(4) Executive director—The designee of the director of the division who is responsible for the management of the day to day operations of the board.

(5) Individual—A natural person or legal entity.

(6) Primary office—The principle office of a licensed private investigator agency.

(7) Private investigator-in-charge—The licensed private investigator who is responsible for the activities of a private investigator agency.

(8) Law enforcement officer—A person currently certified under existing peace officer standards and training requirements under Chapter 590, RSMo.

AUTHORITY: section 324.1100, RSMo Supp. 2008. Original rule filed June 26, 2009.

PUBLIC COST: This proposed rule will not cost state agencies or political subdivisions more than five hundred dollars ($500) in the aggregate.

PRIVATE COST: This proposed rule will not cost private entities more than five hundred dollars ($500) in the aggregate.

NOTICE TO SUBMIT COMMENTS: Anyone may file a statement in support of or in opposition to this proposed rule with the Board of Private Investigator Examiners, PO Box 1335, Jefferson City, MO 65102, by facsimile at 573-751-0878 or via email at pi@pr.mo.gov. To be considered, comments must be received within thirty (30) days after publication of this notice in the Missouri Register. No public hearing is scheduled.

Title 20—DEPARTMENT OF INSURANCE, FINANCIAL INSTITUTIONS AND PROFESSIONAL REGISTRATION

Chapter 1—General Rules

PROPOSED RULE

20 CSR 2234-1.020 General Organization

PURPOSE: This rule describes the organization, general methods of administration, and communication concerning the Board of Private Investigator Examiners.

(1) The purpose of the board is to regulate the practice of private investigating concerning the health, safety and welfare of the inhabitants of this state; to protect the property of the inhabitants of this state from damage or destruction through the dangerous, dishonest, incompetent or unlawful practice of private investigating and to implement and sustain a system for the examination and regulation of licensed private investigators and private investigator agencies in this state.

(2) The board shall meet at least once a year. Additional meetings may be held at the discretion of the board, however, the board shall inform the division of those meetings and the notice of the meeting will be posted in compliance with Chapter 610, RSMo.

(3) Each year, the board shall elect a chair and vice-chair. The chair presides at meetings and works with the executive director on coordinating the board's affairs. If the chair is unable to attend a meeting, the vice-chair shall preside at the meeting.

(4) The board shall act through its executive director who is appointed by the director of the Division of Professional Registration. The executive director shall be responsible for keeping the minutes of board proceedings and perform other duties as requested by the board.

(5) A quorum of the board shall consist of a majority of its members.

(6) Board meetings will generally consist of reviewing applications, interviewing applicants, reviewing complaints and inquiries, determining disciplinary actions regarding a licensed private investigator or private investigator business, making recommendations to staff concerning the conduct and management of board affairs and other board matters.

(7) Unless otherwise provided by statute or regulation, the board shall be generally guided by and conduct its meetings according to Robert’s Rules of Order.

(8) Any person requiring information, an application or complaint form involving the practice of private investigating as regulated by the board may contact the board.

AUTHORITY: sections 324.1102 and 324.1138, RSMo Supp. 2008. Original rule filed June 26, 2009.

PUBLIC COST: This proposed rule will cost state agencies or political subdivisions approximately five thousand twenty-three dollars ($5,023) annually for the life of the rule. It is anticipated that the costs will recur for the life of the rule, may vary with inflation, and are expected to increase at the rate projected by the Legislative Oversight Committee.

PRIVATE COST: This proposed rule will not cost private entities more than five hundred dollars ($500) in the aggregate.

NOTICE TO SUBMIT COMMENTS: Anyone may file a statement in support of or in opposition to this proposed rule with the Board of Private Investigator Examiners, PO Box 1335, Jefferson City, MO 65102, by facsimile at 573-751-0878 or via email at pi@pr.mo.gov. To be considered, comments must be received within thirty (30) days after publication of this notice in the Missouri Register. No public hearing is scheduled.

Chapter 1—General Rules

PROPOSED RULE
    20 CSR 2234-1.030 Policy for Release of Public Records

PURPOSE: This rule establishes the policy in compliance with sections 610.010-610.030, RSMo regarding the release of information on any meeting, records, or vote of the board.

(1) The Board of Private Investigator Examiners is a public governmental body as defined in Chapter 610, RSMo, and adopts the following as its policy for compliance with the provisions of that chapter. This policy is open to public inspection and implements Chapter 610, RSMo, provisions regarding the release of information of any meeting, record, or vote of the board that is not closed under this chapter.

(2) All public records of the Board of Private Investigator Examiners shall be open for inspection and copying by any member of the general public during normal business hours (8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday; holidays excepted) except for those records required or authorized to be closed under section 610.021 or 324.001.8, RSMo, or any other applicable law. All public meetings of the Board of Private Investigator Examiners will be open to the public except for those required or authorized to be closed under section 610.021 or 324.001.8, RSMo, or any other applicable law.

(3) The executive director shall be the custodian of records as required by section 610.023, RSMo. The executive director is responsible for maintaining board records and responding to requests for access to public records.

(4) The board may charge a reasonable fee pursuant to rules promulgated by the board for the cost of researching, inspecting, and copying the records. Charges and payments of the fees shall be based upon the cost for researching and copying records and shall be according to Chapter 610.

(5) All fees collected shall be remitted to the Director of Revenue for deposit to the credit of the Board of Private Investigator Examiners Fund.

(6) The custodian shall maintain a file of copies of all written requests for access to records and responses to the requests. That file shall be maintained as a public record of the board for inspection by any member of the general public during regular business hours.

AUTHORITY: sections 324.1138, RSMo Supp. 2008. Original rule filed June 26, 2009.

PUBLIC COST: This proposed rule will cost state agencies or political subdivisions approximately three thousand five hundred sixteen dollars ($3,516) annually for the life of the rule. It is anticipated that the costs will recur for the life of the rule, may vary with inflation, and are expected to increase at the rate projected by the Legislative Oversight Committee.

Chapter 1—General Rules

PROPOSED RULE
    20 CSR 2234-1.040 Complaint Handling and Disposition

PURPOSE: This rule establishes a procedure for the receipt, handling and disposition of complaints involving private investigators.

(1) The Division of Professional Registration, in coordination with the Board of Private Investigator Examiners, will receive and process each complaint made against any licensee, unlicensed individual or entity, in which the complaint alleges certain acts or practices may constitute one (1) or more violations of provisions of sections 324.1100-324.1148, RSMo or the administrative rules involving private investigators. Any division staff member or board member may file a complaint pursuant to this rule in the same manner as any member of the public.

(2) Complaints may be mailed or delivered to the following address: Board of Private Investigator Examiners, 3605 Missouri Boulevard, PO Box 1335, Jefferson City, MO 65102. However, actual receipt of the complaint by the board at its administrative offices in any manner shall be sufficient. Complaints may be based upon personal knowledge, upon information and belief, or reciting information received from other sources.

(3) All complaints shall be made in writing. Oral or telephone communications will not be considered or processed as complaints, but the person making those communications will be asked to supplement such communications with a complaint. Information received in accordance with this section may be reduced to a complaint by the executive director.

(4) Each complaint received under this rule will be logged and maintained by the board. The log will contain a record of each complainant’s name; the name and address of the subject(s) of the complaint; the date each complaint is received by the board; a brief statement concerning the alleged acts or practices; a notation indicating the complaint was closed by the board or a disciplinary action was filed with the Administrative Hearing Commission; and the ultimate disposition of the complaint. This log shall be a closed record of the board.

(5) Each complaint received according to this rule shall be acknowledged in writing. The complainant and the subject of the complaint shall be notified in writing of the ultimate disposition of the complaint.

(6) This rule shall not be deemed to limit the authority to file a complaint with the Administrative Hearing Commission charging the licensee with any actionable conduct or violation, whether or not such a complaint exceeds the scope of the acts charged in a complaint filed with the board.

(7) This rule exists for the benefit of those members of the public who submit complaints to the board. This rule is not deemed to protect or inure to the benefit of those licensees or other persons against whom the board has instituted or may institute administrative or judicial proceedings concerning possible violations of the provisions of sections 324.1100-324.1148, RSMo

AUTHORITY: sections 324.1138 and 324.002, RSMo Supp. 2008. Original rule filed June 26, 2009.

PUBLIC COST: This proposed rule will cost state agencies or political subdivisions approximately six thousand five hundred thirty dollars ($6,530) annually for the life of the rule. It is anticipated that the costs will recur for the life of the rule, may vary with inflation, and are expected to increase at the rate projected by the Legislative Oversight Committee.

Chapter 1—General Rules
    PROPOSED RULE
    20 CSR 2234-1.050 Fees

PURPOSE: This rule establishes and fixes the various fees and charges for the Board of Private Investigator Examiners.

(1) All fees shall be paid by cashier’s check, personal check, business check, money order, or other method approved by the division and shall be made payable to the Board of Private Investigator Examiners.

(2) No fee will be refunded should any license be surrendered, suspended, or revoked during the term for which the license is issued.

(3) The following licensure fees are established as follows:

(A) Private Investigator
    A. Application fee $ 500
    B. Renewal license fee $ 300
    C. Renewal penalty fee $ 100

(B) Private Investigator Agency
    A. Application fee $ 400
    B. Renewal license fee $ 200
    D. Additional agency license—initial (½ of primary office) $ 200
    E. Additional agency license—renewal (½ of primary office) $ 100
    F. Additional agency license—renewal penalty fee $ 100

(C) Licensed Agency Investigator Employee
    A. Application fee $ 50
    B. Renewal license fee $ 25
    C. Renewal penalty fee $ 25

(D) Private Investigator Trainers
    A. Application fee $ 200
    B. Renewal license fee $ 100

(4) The following miscellaneous fees are established as follows:

(A) CE course review fee $ 100
    (B) Individual course review fee $ 10

(5) All fees are nonrefundable.
    AUTHORITY: sections 324.1102 and 324.1132, RSMo Supp. 2008. Original rule filed June 26, 2009.

PUBLIC COST: This proposed rule will not cost state agencies or political subdivisions more than five hundred dollars ($500) in the aggregate.

Chapter 2—Private Investigator
    PROPOSED RULE

20 CSR 2234-2.010 Application for Licensure—Private Investigator

PURPOSE: This rule outlines the procedure to apply for licensure as a private investigator.

(1) An application for licensure pursuant to section 324.1108, RSMo shall be submitted on the form which may be obtained by contacting the Board of Private Investigator Examiners.

(2) A completed application for licensure must be typewritten or printed in black ink, signed, and notarized, including information pertaining to the private investigator, and shall include:

(A) The appropriate licensure fee pursuant to 20 CSR 2234-1.050;

(B) Two (2) copies of a recent photograph of the applicant's head and shoulders (commonly known as passport style) that fairly depict the applicant's appearance.

(C) Fingerprints in one (1) of the following forms:
    1. Proof of submission of fingerprints to the Missouri State Highway Patrol’s approved vendor for both a Missouri State Highway Patrol and Federal Bureau of Investigation fingerprint background check. Any fees due for fingerprint background checks shall be paid by the applicant directly to the Missouri State Highway Patrol or its approved vendor; or

2. Two (2) sets of the applicants fingerprints on fingerprint cards provided by the board that are of sufficient quality to permit their classification, together with:

A. The manual fingerprint fee set in rule 20 CSR 2234-1.050; and

B. A check or money order payable to the Missouri State Highway Patrol in the amount required by the Patrol and FBI for fingerprint based criminal history checks. Applicants can determine the amount of the check or money order for this service from the Patrol's web site at http://www.mshp.dps.missouri.gov/MSH...rimRecChk.html or by calling (573)526-6153

(D) Proof of the liability insurance required by law in the form of a Certificate of Insurance issued by an insurance company licensed to do business in the state of Missouri; a Certificate of Insurance issued by an agent is not acceptable.

(E) Proof of Workers Compensation insurance in the form of a Certificate of Insurance issued by an insurance company licensed to do business in the state of Missouri (a Certificate of Insurance issued by an agent is not acceptable), or written statement explaining how the applicant's business is not subject to the Workers' Compensation law.

(F) Successful completion of an examination, if applicable; and

(G) Other information the applicant chooses to provide to the board to establish prior experience such as the following:

1. Employee evaluation(s);
    2. Letters from subordinate(s) and supervisor(s);
    3. Copy of business license(s);
    4. Copy of private investigator license(s);
    5. Proof of insurance;
    6. Copy of advertisements from previous twenty-four (24) months;
    7. Verification of corporation or other filings with Secretary of States office;
    8. Copy of vehicle registrations; and/or
    9. Three (3) references from clients within last twenty-four (24) months.

(3) An application will not be considered officially filed with the board unless it is typewritten or printed in black ink, signed, notarized, accompanied by all documents required by the board, and the application fee.

(4) A candidate shall pass the examination within one (1) year of the approval date of the application.

(5) Examination requirements may be waived pursuant to section 324.1110, RSMo.

(6) Applicants seeking reciprocity shall meet the requirements of section (2) or (3) of this rule and provide proof of licensure in another state.

(7) The applicant shall be informed in writing of the decision regarding the application for licensure.

(8) The board may delegate the preliminary review of license applications to the executive director.

AUTHORITY: sections 324.1102, 324.1108, 324.1110, 324.1112, and 324.1114, RSMo Supp. 2008. Original rule filed June 26, 2009.

PUBLIC COST: This proposed rule will cost state agencies or political subdivisions approximately four thousand five hundred seventy-one dollars ($4,571) annually for the life of the rule. It is anticipated that the costs will recur for the life of the rule, may vary with inflation, and are expected to increase at the rate projected by the Legislative Oversight Committee.

PRIVATE COST: This proposed rule will cost private entities approximately one hundred seventy thousand forty-eight dollars ($170,048) during the first year of implementation and twenty-one thousand four dollars and eighty cents ($21,004.80) beginning the second year of implementation and continuing annually thereafter for the life of the rule. It is anticipated that the costs will recur for the life of the rule, may vary with inflation and are expected to increase at the rate projected by the Legislative Oversight Committee.

PROPOSED RULE

20 CSR 2234-2.020 Name and Address Changes—Private Investigator

PURPOSE: This rule outlines procedures to be followed for name, address and telephone number changes.

(1) All individuals licensed pursuant to this chapter shall ensure that the license bears the current legal name of that individual.

(2) A licensee whose name has changed shall notify the board in writing within thirty (30) days of the change and provide a copy of an appropriate document substantiating the name change.

(3) A licensee whose address has changed from that printed on the license must inform the board, in writing, within thirty (30) days of the effective date of the change.

(4) Changes in telephone numbers and email addresses shall also be reported in the same manner as that described for changes in address.

AUTHORITY: section 324.1100, RSMo Supp. 2008. Original rule filed June 26, 2009.

PUBLIC COST: This proposed rule will cost state agencies or political subdivisions approximately six hundred fifty-three dollars ($653) annually for the life of the rule. It is anticipated that the costs will recur for the life of the rule, may vary with inflation, and are expected to increase at the rate projected by the Legislative Oversight Committee.

PRIVATE COST: This proposed rule will cost private entities approximately eighteen dollars and ten cents ($18.10) annually for the life of the rule. It is anticipated that the costs will recur for the life of the rule, may vary with inflation and are expected to increase at the rate projected by the Legislative Oversight Committee.

PROPOSED RULE
    20 CSR 2234-2.030 Replacement of License—Private Investigator

PURPOSE: This rule establishes the procedures for replacing registration certificates.

(1) Licensees whose license is lost, destroyed or mutilated or require replacement as a result of an incorrect address or name change, or who require additional licenses for additional practice locations may obtain a duplicate license, without charge, upon receipt of a statement indicating the need for the duplicate.

PUBLIC COST: This proposed rule will cost state agencies or political subdivisions approximately six hundred fifty-three dollars ($653) annually for the life of the rule. It is anticipated that the costs will recur for the life of the rule, may vary with inflation, and are expected to increase at the rate projected by the Legislative Oversight Committee.

PRIVATE COST: This proposed rule will cost private entities approximately seventeen dollars and sixty cents ($17.60) annually for the life of the rule. It is anticipated that the costs will recur for the life of the rule, may vary with inflation and are expected to increase at the rate projected by the Legislative Oversight Committee.

Title 20—DEPARTMENT OF INSURANCE, FINANCIAL
    INSTITUTIONS AND PROFESSIONAL REGISTRATION

PROPOSED RULE

20 CSR 2234-2.040 Licensure Renewal—Private Investigator

PURPOSE: This rule establishes licensure renewal requirements for private investigators.

(1) A license shall be renewed prior to the expiration of the license. Failure to receive a license renewal notice shall not relieve the licensee of the obligation to renew the license and pay the required fee prior to the expiration date of the license. Renewals shall be postmarked no later than the expiration date of the license to avoid the late penalty fee as defined in 20 CSR 2234-1.050.

AUTHORITY: sections 324.1102 and 324.1126, RSMo Supp. 2008. Original rule filed June 26, 2009.

PUBLIC COST: This proposed rule will cost state agencies or political subdivisions approximately four thousand five hundred seventy-one dollars ($4,571) annually for the life of the rule. It is anticipated that the costs will recur for the life of the rule, may vary with inflation, and are expected to increase at the rate projected by the Legislative Oversight Committee.

PRIVATE COST: This proposed rule will cost private entities approximately three hundred forty-seven thousand seven hundred ninety-three dollars and sixty cents ($347,793.60) biennially for the life of the rule. It is anticipated that the costs will recur for the life of the rule, may vary with inflation and are expected to increase at the rate projected by the Legislative Oversight Committee.

Chapter 3—Private Investigator Agency

PROPOSED RULE

20 CSR 2234-3.010 Application for Licensure—Private Investigator Agency

PURPOSE: This rule outlines requirements for a private investigator agency license.

(1) An application for licensure pursuant to section 324.1108, RSMo shall be submitted on the form which may be obtained by contacting the Board of Private Investigator Examiners.

(2) A completed application for licensure must be typewritten or printed in black ink, signed, and notarized, and shall include:

(A) The appropriate licensure fee pursuant to 20 CSR 234-1.050;

(B) The name of the licensed private investigator-in-charge and designate a primary office in Missouri;

(C) Proof of registration of a fictitious name with the Secretary of State;

(D) Proof of the liability insurance required by law in the form of a Certificate of Insurance issued by an insurance company licensed to do business in the state of Missouri. A Certificate of Insurance issued by an agent is not acceptable; and

(E) Proof of Workers Compensation insurance in the form of a Certificate of Insurance issued by an insurance company licensed to do business in the state of Missouri, or written statement explaining how the applicant's business is not subject to the Workers' Compensation law. A Certificate of Insurance issued by an agent is not acceptable.

(3) An agency shall not conduct business from any location in Missouri other than that shown on the board’s records.

(4) If a private investigator agency maintains a branch office(s), each shall be operated under the same name and license as the primary office and every such place of business shall comply with the provisions of 20 CSR 2234-3.010.

(5) A branch office shall be under the direct supervision of the licensed private investigator-in-charge.

(6) The applicant shall be informed in writing of the decision regarding the application for licensure.

(7) The board may delegate the preliminary review of license applications to the executive director.

AUTHORITY: sections 324.1102, 324.1108, 324.1110, 324.1112, 324.1114, and 324.1132, RSMo Supp. 2008. Original rule filed June 26, 2009.

PUBLIC COST: This proposed rule will cost state agencies or political subdivisions approximately one thousand three hundred six dollars ($1,306) annually for the life of the rule. It is anticipated that the costs will recur for the life of the rule, may vary with inflation, and are expected to increase at the rate projected by the Legislative Oversight Committee.

PRIVATE COST: This proposed rule will cost private entities approximately twenty-one thousand one hundred twenty-four dollars and fifty cents ($21,124.50) during the first year of implementation and three thousand twelve dollars and forty-five cents ($3,012.45) beginning the second year of implementation and continuing annually thereafter for the life of the rule. It is anticipated that the costs will recur for the life of the rule, may vary with inflation and are expected to increase at the rate projected by the Legislative Oversight Committee.

PROPOSED RULE

20 CSR 2234-3.020 Change of Name, Ownership, Location, or Private Investigator In-Charge—Private Investigator Agency

PURPOSE: This rule outlines the requirements and procedures for notifying the board of a change of name, ownership, or location of a private investigator agency.

(1) Change of Private Investigator Agency Name.

(A) A written notification of the change of name prior to the effective date of the proposed change established pursuant to 20 CSR 2234-1.050 shall be submitted to the board along with a copy of any fictitious registration with the Secretary of State.

(B) The private investigator agency shall not release any printed materials or advertisements in the new name to the public before notifying the board of the name change.

(C) The license reflecting the name change shall replace the original license and be displayed as required by these rules.

(D) The private investigator agency shall return the license for the former name to the board immediately.

(2) Change of Private Investigator Agency Location.

(A) A private investigator agency shall notify the board in writing within ten (10) days after closing or changing the location of a branch office.

(B) The private investigator agency shall return the license for the former location to the board immediately.

(3) Change of Ownership.

(A) A private investigator agency shall promptly notify the board of his or her intention to cease operations and shall supply the board with the name and mailing address of the new operator, if any. A private investigator agency license is not transferable. A new agency shall submit a completed application as required in 20 CSR 2234-3.010 and obtain a new license before operating the business.

(B) The private investigator agency shall return the license for the former location to the board immediately.

(4) Change of Private Investigator In-Charge.

(A) A private investigator agency shall notify the board in writing within ten (10) days after a change of the private investigator in-charge.

(B) The private investigator agency shall return the license for the former private investigator in-charge to the board immediately.

AUTHORITY: sections 324.1100 and 324.1132, RSMo Supp. 2008. Original rule filed June 26, 2009.

PUBLIC COST: This proposed rule will cost state agencies or political subdivisions approximately one thousand three hundred six dollars ($1,306) annually for the life of the rule. It is anticipated that the costs will recur for the life of the rule, may vary with inflation, and are expected to increase at the rate projected by the Legislative Oversight Committee.

PRIVATE COST: This proposed rule will cost private entities approximately two dollars and seventy-four cents ($2.74) annually for the life of the rule. It is anticipated that the costs will recur for the life of the rule, may vary with inflation and are expected to increase at the rate projected by the Legislative Oversight Committee.

PROPOSED RULE
    20 CSR 2234-3.030 Licensure Renewal—Private Investigator Agency
    PURPOSE: This rule establishes licensure renewal requirements for private investigator agencies.
    (1) A license shall be renewed prior to the expiration of the license. Failure to receive a license renewal notice shall not relieve the licensee of the obligation to renew the license and pay the required fee prior to the expiration date of the license. Renewals shall be postmarked no later than the expiration date of the license to avoid the late penalty fee as defined in 20 CSR 2234-1.050.
    AUTHORITY: sections 324.1102 and 324.1126, RSMo Supp. 2008. Original rule filed June 26, 2009.
    PRIVATE COST: This proposed rule will cost private entities twelve thousand six hundred twenty-four dollars and twenty cents ($12,624.20) biennially for the life of the rule. It is anticipated that the costs will recur for the life of the rule, may vary with inflation and are expected to increase at the rate projected by the Legislative Oversight Committee.
    PROPOSED RULE
    20 CSR 2234-3.040 Application for Licensure—Licensed Agency Investigator Employee
    PURPOSE: This rule outlines the requirements for private investigator agency employees.
    (2) A completed application for licensure must be typewritten or printed in black ink, signed, and notarized, including information pertaining to the private investigator, and must include:
    (B) Two (2) copies of a recent photograph of the applicant's head and shoulders (commonly known as passport style) that fairly depict the applicant's appearance.
    (C) Fingerprints in one (1) of the following forms:
    1. Proof of submission of fingerprints to the Missouri State Highway Patrol’s approved vendor for both a Missouri State Highway Patrol and Federal Bureau of Investigation fingerprint background check. Any fees due for fingerprint background checks shall be paid by the applicant directly to the Missouri State Highway Patrol or its approved vendor; or
    2. Two (2) sets of the applicants fingerprints on fingerprint cards provided by the board that are of sufficient quality to permit their classification, together with:
    A. The manual fingerprint fee set in rule 20 CSR 2085-1.050; and
    B. A check or money order payable to the Missouri State Highway Patrol in the amount required by the Patrol and FBI for fingerprint based criminal history checks. Applicants can determine the amount of the check or money order for this service from the Patrol's web site at http://www.mshp.dps.missouri.gov/.
    (D) Other information required by the board.
    AUTHORITY: sections 324.1102, 324.1116, and 324.1118, RSMo Supp. 2008. Original rule filed June 26, 2009.
    PUBLIC COST: This proposed rule will cost state agencies or political subdivisions approximately three thousand two hundred sixty-five dollars ($3,265) annually for the life of the rule. It is anticipated that the costs will recur for the life of the rule, may vary with inflation, and are expected to increase at the rate projected by the Legislative Oversight Committee.
    PRIVATE COST: This proposed rule will cost private entities approximately seven thousand five hundred two dollars ($7,502) during the first year of implementation and seven hundred fifty dollars and twenty cents ($750.20) beginning the second year of implementation and continuing annually thereafter for the life of the rule. It is anticipated that the costs will recur for the life of the rule, may vary with inflation and are expected to increase at the rate projected by the Legislative Oversight Committee.
    PROPOSED RULE
    20 CSR 2234-3.050 Name and Address Changes—Licensed Agency Investigator Employee
    PURPOSE: This rule outlines procedures to be followed for name, address, and telephone number changes.
    (1) All individuals licensed pursuant to this chapter shall ensure that the license bears the current legal name of that individual.
    (2) A licensee whose name has changed shall notify the board in writing within thirty (30) days of the change and provide a copy of an appropriate document substantiating the name change.
    (3) A licensee whose address has changed from that printed on the license must inform the board, in writing, within thirty (30) days of the effective date of the change.
    (4) Changes in telephone numbers and email addresses shall also be reported in the same manner as that described for changes in address.
    AUTHORITY: sections 324.1100, RSMo Supp. 2008. Original rule filed June 26, 2009.
    PRIVATE COST: This proposed rule will cost private entities approximately eighteen dollars and ten cents ($18.10) annually for the life of the rule. It is anticipated that the costs will recur for the life of the rule, may vary with inflation and are expected to increase at the rate projected by the Legislative Oversight Committee.
    PROPOSED RULE
    20 CSR 2234-3.060 Replacement of License—Licensed Agency Investigator Employee
    PURPOSE: This rule establishes the procedures for replacing registration certificates.
    (1) Licensees whose license is lost, destroyed or mutilated, or require replacement as a result of an incorrect address or name change, or who require additional licenses for additional practice locations may obtain a duplicate license, without charge, upon receipt of a statement indicating the need for the duplicate.
    PRIVATE COST: This proposed rule will cost private entities approximately four dollars and forty cents ($4.40) annually for the life of the rule. It is anticipated that the costs will recur for the life of the rule, may vary with inflation and are expected to increase at the rate projected by the Legislative Oversight Committee.
    PROPOSED RULE
    20 CSR 2234-3.070 Licensure Renewal—Licensed Agency Investigator Employee
    PURPOSE: This rule establishes licensure renewal requirements for licensed agency investigator employees.
    PRIVATE COST: This proposed rule will cost private entities approximately thirty two thousand two hundred twenty-three dollars and forty cents ($32,223.40) biennially for the life of the rule. It is anticipated that the costs will recur for the life of the rule, may vary with inflation and are expected to increase at the rate projected by the Legislative Oversight Committee.
    Chapter 4—Private Investigator Trainers
    PROPOSED RULE
    20 CSR 2234-4.010 Application for License—Private Investigator Trainer
    PURPOSE: This rule outlines the procedure and requirements to apply for licensure as a private investigator trainer.
    (2) A completed application for licensure must be typewritten or printed in black ink, signed, and notarized, including information pertaining to the private investigator, and shall include:
    (B) A statement detailing one (1) year of supervisory experience with a private investigator agency, together with any supporting records such as:
    1. Employee evaluation; or
    2. Letter from a subordinate or supervisor;
    (C) A statement of the plan of operation of the training offered by the applicant and the materials and aids to be used; and
    (D) Other information required by the board.
    AUTHORITY: section 324.1140, RSMo Supp. 2008. Original rule filed June 26, 2009.
    PRIVATE COST: This proposed rule will cost private entities approximately four hundred and four dollars and ninety-eight cents ($404.98) during the first year of implementation and two hundred and two dollars and forty-nine cents ($202.49) beginning the second year of implementation and continuing annually thereafter for the life of the rule. It is anticipated that the costs will recur for the life of the rule, may vary with inflation and are expected to increase at the rate projected by the Legislative Oversight Committee.
    Title 20 – DEPARTMENT OF INSURANCE, FINANCIAL INSTITUTIONS AND PROFESSIONAL REGISTRATION
    20 CSR 2234-4.020 Trainer Responsibilities—Private Investigator Trainer
    PURPOSE: This rule outlines continuing education trainers’ responsibilities.
    (1) Private investigator trainers may develop and teach continuing education courses without submitting the course for board approval. Although the lesson plan for a course need not be submitted to the board in advance, it shall comply with all of the requirements of any continuing education lesson plan as set forth in Chapter 6.
    (2) Private investigator trainers shall:
    (A) Promptly submit lesson plans to the board for review upon request and without charge.
    (B) Maintain lesson plans for seven (7) years from the date the lesson plan is last used to teach a course.
    (3) Private investigator trainers shall maintain complete and accurate records of course attendance. Although attendance records for a course need not be submitted to the board, they shall comply with all of the requirements of any continuing education attendance record as set forth in Chapter 6. Private investigator trainers shall:
    (A) Promptly submit records to the board for review upon request and without charge;
    (B) Maintain attendance records for seven (7) years from the date the course is taught;
    (C) Promptly provide a certificate of attendance to each person who successfully completes the course in accordance with the lesson plan; and
    (D) Promptly provide a duplicate certificate of attendance to any person who successfully completed the course in accordance with the lesson plan.
    1. The cost of a duplicate certificate of attendance shall not exceed five percent (5%) of the cost of the course, or five dollars ($5) if there was no fee for the course.
    AUTHORITY: sections 324.1138 and 324.1140, RSMo Supp. 2008. Original rule filed June 26, 2009.
    PRIVATE COST: This proposed rule will cost private entities approximately seven thousand four hundred fifty-five dollars and eighty-eight cents ($7,455.88) biennially for the life of the rule. It is anticipated that the costs will recur for the life of the rule, may vary with inflation and are expected to increase at the rate projected by the Legislative Oversight Committee.
    PROPOSED RULE
    20 CSR 2234-4.030 Name and Address Changes—Private Investigator Trainer
    PURPOSE: This rule outlines procedures to be followed for name, address, and telephone number changes.
    (1) All licensed private investigator trainers pursuant to this chapter shall ensure that the license bears the current legal name of that individual.
    (2) A licensed private investigator trainer whose name has changed shall notify the board in writing within thirty (30) days of the change and provide a copy of an appropriate document substantiating the name change.
    (3) A licensed private investigator trainer whose address has changed from that printed on the license must inform the board, in writing, within thirty (30) days of the effective date of the change.
    PRIVATE COST: This proposed rule will cost private entities approximately forty-nine cents ($0.49) annually for the life of the rule. It is anticipated that the costs will recur for the life of the rule, may vary with inflation and are expected to increase at the rate projected by the Legislative Oversight Committee.
    PROPOSED RULE
    20 CSR 2234-4.040 Replacement of Renewal License—Private Investigator Trainer
    (1) A licensed private investigator trainer whose renewal license is lost, destroyed or mutilated, or requires replacement as a result of an incorrect address or name change, or who require additional licenses for additional practice locations may obtain a duplicate license, without charge, upon receipt of a statement indicating the need for the duplicate.
    AUTHORITY: sections 324.1100, RSMo Supp. 2008. Original rule filed June 26, 2009.
    PRIVATE COST: This proposed rule will cost private entities approximately forty-four cents ($0.44) annually for the life of the rule. It is anticipated that the costs will recur for the life of the rule, may vary with inflation and are expected to increase at the rate projected by the Legislative Oversight Committee.
    PROPOSED RULE
    20 CSR 2234-4.050 Licensure Renewal—Private Investigator Trainer
    PURPOSE: This rule establishes licensure renewal requirements for trainers.
    (1) A licensed private investigator trainer shall be renewed prior to the expiration of the license. Failure to receive a license renewal notice shall not relieve the licensed private investigator trainer of the obligation to renew the license and pay the required fee prior to the expiration date of the license. Renewals shall be postmarked no later than the expiration date of the license to avoid the late penalty fee as defined in 20 CSR 2234-1.050.
    PRIVATE COST: This proposed rule will cost private entities approximately four hundred and one dollars and thirty-two cents ($401.32) biennially for the life of the rule. It is anticipated that the costs will recur for the life of the rule, may vary with inflation and are expected to increase at the rate projected by the Legislative Oversight Committee.
    Title 20 – DEPARTMENT OF INSURANCE, FINANCIAL INSTITUTIONS AND PROFESSIONAL REGISTRATION
    Chapter 5—Examination Requirements
    PROPOSED RULE
    20 CSR 2234-5.010 Examination
    PURPOSE: This rule establishes examination requirements.
    (1) Applicants not exempt from examination shall present themselves for examination on the date and time and at the place specified by the board.
    (A) A private investigator applicant who fails to appear as required by the board shall be deemed to have failed the examination.
    (B) Upon written request setting forth a good cause the board may excuse an applicant’s absence, and permit the applicant to sit for the next examination.
    (C) An applicant who fails the examination may, upon written application, be granted permission to sit again for the examination.
    (D) No person who has twice failed the examination may again seek examination for one (1) year from the date of the last failure.
    (2) The following applicants are exempt from examination:
    (A) An applicant whose complete application was on file prior to February 28, 2011, and able to show registration for previous two (2) years of lawful practice within the last five (5) years.
    (B) An applicant eligible under reciprocity and law enforcement officers pursuant to section 324.1146, RSMo.
    AUTHORITY: section 324.1110, RSMo Supp. 2008. Original rule filed June 26, 2009.
    PUBLIC COST: This proposed rule will cost state agencies or political subdivisions approximately three thousand two hundred sixty-five dollars ($3,265) annually for the life of the rule. It is anticipated that the costs will recur for the life of the rule, may vary with inflation, and are expected to increase at the rate projected by the Legislative Oversight Committee.
    Chapter 6—Continuing Education Requirements
    20 CSR 2234-6.010 Continuing Education
    PURPOSE: This rule outlines the requirements for continuing education courses recognized by the board.
    (1) Continuing Education Courses
    (A) Attendance at continuing education courses is required by law to renew private investigator licenses.
    (B) Continuing education courses used to satisfy the legal requirements for renewal must be approved by the board. Courses will be reviewed for compliance with the following criteria:
    1. The course must be relevant to the practice of private investigation.
    2. The course must be described in a lesson plan that includes:
    A. The title of the course;
    B. The name and qualifications of the instructor;
    C. A description of the intended audience;
    D. Identification of any prerequisites;
    E. Bibliographic identification of source materials;
    F. A list of the points of instruction referenced to the source materials;
    G. An appendix containing any handouts, audio-visual displays or other materials used in the delivery of the lesson; and
    H. A statement of the hours of credit that will be granted upon completion of the course; not more than one (1) hour’s credit for every fifty (50) minutes of instruction time.
    3. The course must provide immediate personal interaction between the instructor and the student. Distance learning courses can be approved. Any type of correspondence course, notwithstanding its quality, will not be approved for continuing education credit. The video replay of a course may be approved; however, an instructor who can provide immediate, personal interaction with the student must be present throughout the presentation.
    4. A course will not be approved unless the course review fee is paid.
    5. Any member of the board or its staff shall be admitted to the course or any part thereof without a fee; however, no continuing education credit will be allowed for attendance under this provision.
    6. The course shall be taught in a facility that is reasonably clean and comfortable consistent with the learning objectives of the course, with appropriate provision or access to facilities for the personal needs of the students and instructors.
    (2) Reporting Attendance
    (A) Continuing education providers shall have in place reasonable procedures to record attendance.
    1. The board shall be advised of these procedures in the application for approval of a course. Approval of a course may be withheld if the board is not satisfied that the procedures are adequate to accurately record attendance.
    2. Attendance records, which need not be individual, shall include the following minimum information:
    A. Attendee’s name;
    B. Attendee’s license number;
    C. Number of hours of continuing education credit earned;
    D. Name of the course;
    E. Date of the course; and
    F. Board’s approval number.
    (B) The original, or a true copy, of the attendance record for any continuing education course shall be delivered to the board within two (2) weeks of the conclusion of any presentation of the course.
    (C) Any person who successfully completes the course shall be presented with a certificate to that effect within two (2) weeks of the completion of the course. The certificate shall at a minimum state:
    1. Attendee’s name;
    2. Attendee’s license number;
    3. Number of hours of continuing education credit earned;
    4. Name of the course;
    5. Date of the course; and
    6. Board’s approval number.
    (3) Course Providers
    (A) Any responsible person may offer continuing education courses.
    1. A responsible person is a person who has not violated this board’s rules regarding continuing education, or has offered satisfactory assurances to the board that they will not again violate this board’s rules regarding continuing education.
    2. A responsible person does not claim, advertise, or otherwise make known that he or she is offering a course to private investigators for continuing education until the board has, in fact, approved the course.
    3. A responsible person does not discriminate against any person in an illegal manner, and provides reasonable accommodations to those who are legally entitled to accommodations.
    4. A person whose license status with this board is denied, revoked, or suspended is not a responsible person for the purposes of this rule; a person whose license status with this board is probationary is not a responsible person under this rule unless the probation order or agreement specifically allows the person to offer continuing education courses.
    (B) Private investigator trainers are presumed to be responsible persons, and are subject to professional discipline for any violations of the continuing education rules.
    1. Private investigator trainers are not required to submit lesson plans to the board except as set out in Chapter 4.
    A. Private investigator trainers’ course approval numbers are their license number, followed by a dash and a unique identifier selected by the trainer for each course of no more than four characters, i.e. 2008012345-XXXX, where 2008012345 is the license number and XXXX is the unique identifier.
    2. Private investigator trainers are not required to submit attendance records to the board except as set out in Chapter 4.
    (4) Special Approval of Courses
    (A) Any licensed private investigator may petition the board to approve a particular course that he or she has attended or may attend that is offered by a person who has not complied with this board’s continuing education rules.
    1. The application shall be accompanied by the individual course review fee.
    2. The materials set out in subsection (1)(B) of this chapter should accompany the application. If any of the materials set out in subsection (1)(B) of this Chapter are not available, the applicant may provide supplemental material. The board may decline to approve the course for lack of sufficient information.
    3. Proof of attendance, or a proposal for establishing proof of attendance, shall be included with the application.
    AUTHORITY: sections 324.1126 and 324.1138, RSMo Supp. 2008. Original rule filed June 26, 2009.
    PUBLIC COST: This proposed rule will cost state agencies or political subdivisions approximately nine thousand seven hundred ninety-six dollars ($9,796) annually for the life of the rule. It is anticipated that the costs will recur for the life of the rule, may vary with inflation, and are expected to increase at the rate projected by the Legislative Oversight Committee.
    PRIVATE COST: This proposed rule will cost private entities approximately six thousand eighty-eight dollars ($6,088) annually for the life of the rule. It is anticipated that the costs will recur for the life of the rule, may vary with inflation and are expected to increase at the rate projected by the Legislative Oversight Committee.
    Chapter 7—Code of Conduct
    PROPOSED RULE
    20 CSR 2234-7.010 Code of Conduct
    PURPOSE: This rule establishes the code of conduct for private investigators.
    (1) Responsibilities to the Profession
    (A) Cooperation with the board
    1. Private investigators shall timely and truthfully answer all inquires from the board or its staff.
    2. A timely response is made without undue delay and in accord with reasonable business practices.
    A. A phone call is timely if returned before the end of the tenth day.
    B. A response to written correspondence is timely if the response arrives at the board’s office by the close of business the tenth day after the date of the correspondence.
    3. An initial response to a complaint is timely if received in the board’s office before the close of business on the thirtieth day after it is sent to the private investigator and/or private investigator agency.
    4. A response is not timely if any material matter known, or which would have been known upon reasonable inquiry, is omitted from the response.
    5. A response is truthful if all of the information provided in the response is accurate.
    A. A response based on information and belief, made after reasonable inquiry, is truthful.
    6. A response setting forth a proper objection to answering the inquiry shall be deemed timely and truthful so long as:
    A. There is a reasonable, lawful basis for the objection stated in the response;
    B. The response is otherwise timely; and
    C. Information not the subject of the objection is included in the response.
    (B) Protection of the Profession
    1. Private investigators who are aware of circumstances, or who become aware of circumstances, that would lead a reasonable person to believe another private investigator has or is violating the profession’s code of conduct, shall promptly inform the board of the circumstances.
    A. Private investigators may consult with the other private investigators regarding the circumstances, and if reasonably satisfied that no violation has occurred, choose not to notify the board.
    B. Private investigators need not investigate the conduct of the other private investigators in such circumstances. Reporting the conduct to the board discharges the private investigator’s duty under this section.
    C. An anonymous complaint to the board does not comply with the provisions of this section.
    D. No action will be taken by the board against a private investigator who has made a report pursuant to the provisions of this section unless malice is shown to be the motive for an untruthful report.
    (C) Aiding Unlicensed Practice
    1. Private investigators shall neither permit nor suffer any person with whom they are associated to practice the profession without being properly licensed.
    2. Private investigators shall promptly report to the board any person who appears to be unlawfully practicing the profession without a license.
    A. Private investigators may consult with the person who appears to be unlawfully practicing the profession without a license regarding the circumstances, and if reasonably satisfied that no violation has occurred, choose not to notify the board.
    B. Private investigators need not investigate the conduct of the person who appears to be unlawfully practicing the profession without a license in such circumstances. Reporting the conduct to the board discharges the private investigator’s duty under this section.
    C. An anonymous complaint to the board does not comply with the provisions of this section.
    D. No action will be taken by the board against a private investigator who has made a report pursuant to the provisions of this section unless malice is shown to be the motive for an untruthful report.
    (D) Responsibility for Subordinates
    1. Private investigators are responsible for supervising their subordinates, including unlicensed individuals in their employ or with whom they have contracted for services.
    2. The private investigator-in-charge of an agency responsible for supervising subordinates, including unlicensed individuals in the employ of the agency or with whom the agency has contracted for services.
    (E) Posting Licenses
    1. Private investigators shall post their license in a place clearly visible at every office from which they regularly do business.
    (2) Responsibilities to the Public
    (A) Honesty and Best Efforts
    1. Private investigators shall, to the extent of their abilities, diligently and honestly perform the work for which they have been retained.
    2. Private investigators shall not make any material false statement to a client.
    3. Private investigators shall not withhold material information from a client.
    4. Private investigators shall do business only under the name with which they are licensed by the board.
    A. Private investigators may use pseudonyms when professionally appropriate; however, any such pseudonym shall be registered with the board prior to use.
    B. Private investigators shall not use a fictitious business name unless it has been registered with the Secretary of State pursuant to Chapter 417, RSMo, and a copy of the registration has been delivered to the board.
    (B) Business Records
    1. Private investigators shall maintain complete and accurate records of the professional services that they render unless prohibited by written contract, court order, state or federal statute. A copy of the aforementioned document shall be placed in the file in the place of the original documents. Section 324.1136, RSMo requires that private investigators maintain records for seven (7) years. The board will deem records containing the following information satisfactory, unless such records are plainly insufficient in the circumstances:
    A. Any final report prepared by the private investigator;
    B. Field notes, interim reports, correspondence, or other records prepared during an assignment;
    C. Any video or audio recordings made during the course of an assignment;
    D. Correspondence to and from the client, including billing records; and
    E. Accounting records related to an assignment, including vouchers or receipts for expenses billed to the client.
    F. Copy shall be maintained in lieu of such documents as prescribed in 20 CSR 2234-7.010 (B)1.
    2. Records shall be preserved in such a way that they are reasonably safe from intentional or accidental destruction and degradation.
    3. Records of a particular matter need not be stored in a single form or at a single place. All of the components of a record of a particular matter shall be readily accessible however, for the seven (7) year period.
    A. “Readily accessible” means in a form such that they can be produced within ten (10) days of demand, under ordinary business conditions.
    4. Records may be retained for more than seven (7) years, pursuant to agreement with a client or at the private investigator’s pleasure.
    5. Private investigators who destroy records shall ensure that it is impossible to reconstruct such records.
    (C) Financial Integrity
    1. Private investigators shall maintain truthful records of the financial affairs of their business.
    2. Private investigators shall not accept anything of pecuniary value, tangible or intangible, without offering a written receipt containing the following information to the person offering the valuable thing:
    A. The private investigator’s name, license number and address of record; and
    B. A reasonable description of the thing of pecuniary value.
    3. Private investigators shall safeguard property of value that comes into their possession, regardless of whether it belongs to a client or a third person.
    A. Private investigators shall give written notification to any person whose valuable property has come into their possession, whose name and address are known or reasonably discoverable;
    (I) Such notice may be postponed for sound investigative reasons; however, such reasons shall be memorialized in the records of the matter.
    B. A private investigator shall turn over the valuable property of another person to the person upon demand, unless there is legal justification to withhold the property.
    I. A private investigator who lawfully withholds property pending payment of a debt or the reasonable costs of obtaining and protecting the property shall not be deemed to have violated this section.
    II. A private investigator may withhold valuable property if there is reasonable doubt as to the owner or who is entitled to possession.
    III. A private investigator may withhold valuable property for which the owner or person entitled to possession is not willing to provide a written receipt.
    C. A private investigator shall strictly abide by the unclaimed property law of Missouri, or other state that has jurisdiction over the property.
    (D) Insurance
    1. Private investigators shall maintain insurance of the same type and quantity required to obtain a license in full force and effect during the license period.
    2. Private investigators may, at their will and pleasure, change insurance providers; however, they shall not have a gap in coverage.
    3. Private investigators who were not required to have workers’ compensation insurance at the time that they were licensed shall obtain such insurance if they subsequently become subject to the Workers’ Compensation law, and maintain such insurance in full force and effect during the license period.
    (E) Compliance with the Law
    1. Private investigators shall obey all criminal laws – federal, state, and local.
    A. “Criminal laws” include the penal ordinances and regulations of political subdivisions of a state or the agencies of the federal government.
    2. Private investigators shall conform their conduct to the expectations of an ordered society:
    A. Private investigators shall not commit intentional torts.
    B. Private investigators shall not cause injury to others through negligence or reckless behavior.
    3. The burden of proving justification or excuse for any violation of this section shall be upon the private investigator.
    AUTHORITY: section 324.1138, RSMo Supp. 2008. Original rule filed June 26, 2009.
    PUBLIC COST: This proposed rule will cost state agencies or political subdivisions approximately seven thousand thirty-three dollars ($7,033) annually for the life of the rule. It is anticipated that the costs will recur
    for the life of the rule, may vary with inflation, and are expected to increase at the rate projected by the Legislative Oversight Committee.
    PRIVATE COST: This proposed rule will cost private entities approximately seven hundred and seven thousand six hundred twenty-five dollars to one million five hundred eighty-eight thousand five hundred dollars ($707,625 - $1,588,500) during the first year of implementation and seven hundred seventy-eight thousand three hundred eighty-seven dollars and fifty cents to one million seven hundred forty-seven thousand three hundred fifty dollars ($778,387.50 - $1,747,350) beginning the second year of implementation and continuing annually thereafter for the life of the rule. It is anticipated that the costs will recur for the life of the rule, may vary with inflation and are expected to increase at the rate projected by the Legislative Oversight Committee.

Quote Originally Posted by Donna Reagan View Post
    Carl, there will be no state licensing in Missouri until after February, 2010

Source:
    http://pr.mo.gov/boards/pi/faqs.pdf
    They Called me this morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl DeLancey View Post
    They Called me this morning.
    and told me that here is the link to the new laws I apologize for there wording it wrong to me.