Thread: Can I do an assignment on my own

Cool Can I do an assignment on my own

I have a question that I do not have an answer for and have not seen this question asked as of yet in the Forums. My question is that: Are we allowed to accept an assignment if we are asked by an individual? I was recently working a movie as an extra, everyone was telling what they do and I told them that I am working to become a PI. Well, just so happens several people asked me if I could do some surveilence for them? Of course, not having a license or even working for a licensed PI, I informed them that I would check into this matter since my assignments are comming from IPIU at this time. I have seen in the forums and the assignment areas of the employment threads that they do assign work as such. But again that is through an agency or IPIU. So, can I accept this kind of work and what would a reasonable charge be? Any information would really help even if I need to tell these people that they have to go to an agency.

Danny Rogers
    New Mexico

Hi Danny...

You need to find out what the laws are for New Mexico. To the best of my knowledge (unless your area is different) you have to work under a licensed person/agency until you complete so many hours/years of training. Good luck. Try searching the laws of New Mexico by using the search bar and putting in New Mexico.

Try this link for your answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Rogers
    I have a question that I do not have an answer for and have not seen this question asked as of yet in the Forums. My question is that: Are we allowed to accept an assignment if we are asked by an individual? I was recently working a movie as an extra, everyone was telling what they do and I told them that I am working to become a PI. Well, just so happens several people asked me if I could do some surveilence for them? Of course, not having a license or even working for a licensed PI, I informed them that I would check into this matter since my assignments are comming from IPIU at this time. I have seen in the forums and the assignment areas of the employment threads that they do assign work as such. But again that is through an agency or IPIU. So, can I accept this kind of work and what would a reasonable charge be? Any information would really help even if I need to tell these people that they have to go to an agency.

Danny Rogers
    New Mexico
    http://www.ipiu.org/forums/showthread.php?t=15888

If you can't do them on your own, why not refer them to an agency, and see if that agency can hire you to work the case? You kill 2 birds with one stone, by getting experience with a company, and working the case you want to.

Bobby McCuller is offline Private Investigator Forum Member

Member of International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)
    Rights and Powers of Private Investigators.
    As a Private Investigator Or Trainee we need to read more of what we can't do that what we can do as a private investigator,the rason for that is that personal and private investigation work is a very specialized field and because of this,it is precisely regulated.
    A private investigator is a private citizen,and in most states,we have no more and no less power,rights or authority than any other private citizen.However,we are businessman and women and therefore are regulated by the federal,state,county or city ordinances as to the preformance of our duties.

Let's all keep reading these forums and learn all we can.

Bobby McCuller is offline Private Investigator Forum Member

Member of International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)
    James;
    That was a remarkable reply for Danny,also the person our company could have paid him as an employee.