Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: FORGED EMAILS: PayPay, Yahoo, Ebay, IPIU, & Others

Thank You for the info!

Thumbs up

Good looking out. People. I am very proud of all our P.I. in IPIU. I don't know without our fellow P.I. experiance with any situation we as beginner would have falling into these traps. So, Good looking out.

Pedro Jr.

Thank you for the info.

Revised to include IPIU as a victim.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Matlick
    Has anyone been receiving e-mails from a person supposed to be from Africa and related to a president or Prime Minister and are trying to send money to the US and want you to be their go between. I seem to remember a post in the past with e-mail addresses to send these to. Federal Government or someone like that. Does anyone have these??
    Robert,

I know this is an old post, but I am a newbie to this site and wanted to put my nickel's worth in. I get these all the time. They come from Africa, Nigeria and several other countries. This is an age old spam that just keeps coming back. The sender usually says they have researched you and just know that God has sent you to help them. Or they say that the last name is the same as yours so you should provide proof that you are the last remaining long lost relative to claim your inheritance. Of course, all you need is to sign an affidavit for your proof.

I also get the "You are a winner in our international lottery" ones. They claim that you have won by having your email address ramdomly picked from the billions that are out there. It's something you never entered so that should be your first clue but I have known even the most sensible (or so I thought) people to fall for these. They tell you to send no money, but you must provide banking information so they can wire transfer the funds into your account. Then they use the info to wire it right out instead.

All of these are illegal Unfortunately people keep falling for them and keep losing their hard earned money because of it.

When I get a phishing email I always try to find the correct place to forward it to the company that supposedly sent it. Sometimes I can find this information, sometimes I cannot. I always forward anything that I know is illegal to abuse@uce.gov. This is the federal government address to report to for investigation and prosecuting. When forwarding these emails it is vital to include the full headers so they can try to trace them back to the originator. The senders address is usually forged but officials can sometimes trace through the IP addresses and other information included in the full headers. Most of us just show brief headers on our regular emails so that we don't have to scroll down so far for the real message so make sure the "show full headers" is on for the ones your report.

I have tried to report to my email provider and also to the one (if I can identify it) of the sender but usually just get back a message that it wasn't sent from one of their accounts. I know Yahoo helped to track and prosecute 2 people in one of the Nigeria deals but there are hundreds out there doing it. The best thing we can do is to try and educate ourselves and others to prevent these scammers from achieving their goal of robbing us.

There are several sites that I subscribe to that provides information on the newest as well as older 00000. Not sure that I can list them so will just tell you all to do a search for 00000 and you can find many places to help you decide if what you got is legit or not.

I am really enjoying reading all this wonderful information

Kathy

Thank you , for the headsup!!

Kalvin Kelly is offline Lifetime Professional Management Member

Corporate Agency Member of:
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)
    Thanks for the information on forged emails, this is great information.

Kalvin Kelly

I received this same message and also have gotten several from eBay.
    Terry

Thank you for the warning.It is very helpful to be aware of this kind of situation.Thanks again!

Patricia A Jernigan

Thank you for that info. I had been receiving an email that
    said I had added a email address. I knew I had not done so but
    to verify,because they do look real, I called the paypal office and they told me they had gotten alot of calls about the same
    email. So thanks again for this heads up...

Telling if an Email is Fraudulent

"Phishing" are usually pretty easy to tell. First thing I do is hover over a link and see where it goes. If you put your mouse over a hyperlink and look in the bottom left corner of your browser window it will show you a URL similar to this one "http://www.paypal.com/signup/" notice the words directly to the left of the .com this is the true domain of that address. Alot of phishing 00000 they will put in things like "http://www.securepaypal.com/signup/" or "http://paypal.securesytem.com" some of these look legit but definately are not. Again it is possible to fake it as well so just dont count on this. It can show one thing but when you click take you to somewhere else so do the next thing.

Next is it's fine to click on a hyperlink it's not going to do anything but watch your browser URL window and see where it takes you. Again if it takes you to anywhere but "paypal.com" sometimes it will take you to an IP address "192.168.0.1/paypal" which is not a real IP but you get the idea. That is an immediate no-go and just close your browser and delete the email.

A couple of other things that are dead givaways.
    1. Look at the To: field and see if the email is addressed to your email and not someone else. Also, most likely if an email is to you it will have something like this "John Smith " in the To: Field since they know your email and your name. If it is just an email address it's probably spam maybe not but most likely.
    2. If they are missing graphics or the page is skewed somehow it's a red flag. Most large companies will not have missing graphics on their website.
    3. Words spelled incorrectly another flag. Very seldom do you see large companies websites with incorrect spelled words.
    4. Heres an easy one. If your not a member of Bank of America for heck sakes don't fill out any information for them.
    5. Another easy one. I've yet to hear of anyone win the lottery or any large sum of money via email.

Hope those help. Theres a ton more you can do but doing the above takes seconds and could really save you alot by just doing your due dilligence.

One other tip for all those emails you get to know if their the real deal or not. Go to http://www.snopes.com this is a great website to see if the story your hearing is truly legit or not.
    Semper Fidelis
    Fred HK Baker

Luke A Slowik is offline *
    Moderator (Retired)

Former Law Enforcement Officer
    Distinguished Member: Private Investigators Forum

Re: FORGED EMAILS: PayPay, Yahoo, Ebay, IPIU, & Others

***WARNING***

Just an FYI that the PayPal phisihing 0000 is back in action. I just receieved this email below in regards to my PayPal account. Be weary of all email asking you to submit personal info.

Dear PayPal User

Today we had some trouble with one of our computer systems. While the trouble appears to be minor, we are not taking any chances. We decided to take the troubled system offline and replace it with a new system. Unfortunately this caused us to lose some member data. Please follow the link below and log into your account to make sure your information is not affected. Account balances have not been affected.

Because of the inconvenience this causes we are giving all users that repair their missing data their next two incoming transfers for free! You will pay no fees for your next two incoming transfers*.

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr/?cmd=_login-run

Thank you for using PayPal!

* - If fees would normally apply, you will not pay anything for the next two incoming transfers you receive.

PayPal Security

PROTECT YOUR PASSWORD
    NEVER give your password to anyone and ONLY log in at PayPal's website. If anyone asks for your password, please follow the Security Tips instructions on the PayPal website.

About Us | Accounts | Fees | Privacy | Security Center | User Agreement | Developers | Referrals | Help

Copyright © 2002 PayPal. All rights reserved.
    Information about FDIC pass-through insurance

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3