Thread: Woman uses ADT emergency necklace pendant to summon police

Thumbs up Woman uses ADT emergency necklace pendant to summon police

A Martinsburg, W.Va., woman's life was saved recently thanks to a nationwide domestic violence program offered by ADT Security Services Inc. The AWARE (Abused Women's Active Response Emergency) program, which provides free security systems and emergency necklace pendants to victims of domestic violence,was launched in the victim's community, Berkley County, W.Va., in April 1998.

The AWARE program was first launched in the United States in 1992, and has been credited with saving the lives of 30 domestic violence victims in the U.S.

The rescued victim, who has participated in the AWARE Program since 2004, had a court-issued protective order and was in the process of divorcing her husband. The victim used her ADT emergency necklace pendant to summon law enforcement after being threatend at knifepoint by her spouse who was out of prison on a criminal bond for previously attempting to strangle the victim.
    After people who meet the necessary criteria are placed in the AWARE program, ADT installs security systems in each of their homes and provides them with emergency necklace pendants for as long as the need exists. The pendants can send a silent alarm, when activated, to ADT's customer monitoring center. Operators can then alert the appropriate law enforcement agency.

source: Security Beat May 17, 2005

John G - is offline Retired Forum Moderator

Private Investigators Forums
    Sponsored by the International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)
    Wow, that's great. Thank you for posting this, Joseph.

John

this is wonderful, cheers to adt. it is good to know bussiness and corporations take genuine intrests in abuse victims needs and security. I strongly beleive this is just the greatest program ever....

Todd Heddleson - is offline Sr. Member:
    Private Investigators Forum

2005 - 2007 Professional Management Member of:
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)

Thumbs up Adt

this sure changed the way i looked at adt i always thought they were a fly by night company !!!

Lori Copaus is offline PI Agency Corporation Owner
    Private Investigator Forum Member

Member of:
    It's great they offer this service. So many women could have been saved hadthis program been implemented sooner.

Lori E. Copaus
    P. I. Trainee

Todd Heddleson - is offline Sr. Member:
    Private Investigators Forum

2005 - 2007 Professional Management Member of:
    Lori you are so right, I found out ADT even helps the elderly when in need. it nice to see a company that cares for people.

Brilliant. I think this could be used by children and people in high risk professions. This would get too big though.

RT

I passed this information to the Georgia Coalition on Domestic Violence and hope it will be useful to them. Our women and children need all the protection that is available. Just look in Georgia in the last two days, wife murdered in Augusta, man on crane in Atlanta suspected of killing girlfriend in Florida. Whats wrong with this world when we attack our women and children? I am doing everything in my power as a volunteer to advise and help protect battered families.

Douglas, I think it's wonderful that you have done so much towards preventing abuse. I wish more people knew about these life-saving devices and how to obtain them. This sounds like something RAINN would be involved in, and I'm kind of surprised that they are not. Now that I've read this article, I'm going to do some more research about AWARE.

Thank you Suesyn, I have another thread if you do a shearch under the key words Domestic Violence I am asking for advise from all the IPIU Members on how to help these victims of abuse. I don't want to see another women or child lose thier lives to one of the criminals. It will take a nation wide effort to stop it ADT, State Coalitions, new laws, but most of all community awareness. If someone knows of someone that is getting beaten, by God report it, you may save a life. Georgia has enacted some strong new laws, but they are only as good as the communities allow them to be. If the people don't speak up and call the police on what they hear or see the laws won't be effective. Everyone must get involved in order to help those who are to scared to help themselves. Thats what these animals do to these women make them fear for their lives as a way to control them and the finallity of it all is they do finally murder them.

Doug