Thread: Workplace violence increasing, report says

Workplace violence increasing, report says

A majority of senior executives responsible for human resources and security--82 percent--report the number of workplace violence incidents have increased in the last two years.

A survey of 602 senior executives sponsored by Risk Control Strategies reveals increased outsourcing, downsizing, wage garnishments/salary reductions, perceived insufficient raises/bonuses and overall softening of economy are contributing to the burgeoning backlash of workplace violence.

"Economic conditions are often the motivating factor for employees to retaliate against senior management, "says Paul Viollis, Ph.D., president of Risk Control Strategies. "As the economic downturn continues, outsourcing increases and wage garnishments skyrocket as a result of the new bankruptcy bill; things are only going to get worse for HR managers and security directors."

Fifty-eight percent of companies report disgruntled employees have threatened to assault or kill senior managers in person or through e-mail in the last 12 months. Additionally, employees are intentionally downloading computer viruses, sexually harassing co-workers and sabotaging the company through malicious product tampring.

"Leveling verbal threats is one of the first signs that violence is imminent," says Doug Kane, executive vice president of Risk Control Strategies. Although 80 percent of respondents believe workplace violence is a bigger problem today than it was two years ago, only 15 percent of companies have increased their spending to combat workplace violence, according to the study.

Allow my opinions please. I think that this is really just a political opinion, especially when he talks about outsourcing, softening of the economy etc. Throwing money into combating workplace violence is an economic suggestion trying to defeat a mostly non-economic problem. Of course there is some connection but I could throw in many other things just to show you that it there are many, many factors in people lives that contribute to violence at work. How about the way executive's, bosses, underbosses,etc. treat the "lesser" people? Many people equate money with their self-worth or their self-esteem. So when this equation is upset so are they.

Life and relationships are more complicated than throwing money towards anything that would make some feel better about the problems. Just My Humble Opion JMHO

RT