Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: My family made fun of me from age 12. Now I have my Investigative Agency Licenses!

Angry corection to my thread

I have been with IPIU 4 1/2 years not 3. Sorry for the mistake everyone.

Women as PI's

Mary, it appears that you have touched many women's lives through your story. I started out in the medical field, then tried the airlines and finally am doing what I want to do. When I mentioned to my family and friends that I was going to be a PI I most got responses like "What?!?!?" and "No way" and "Do you have to cary a gun?" and "Isn't it dangerous?". An amazing amount of scepticizm. Now they envy me and can't wait to hear about the latest case. I think being a woman is the perfect disguise! It can be an amazing advantage. I wish some of the "good ole boys" would realize that too. Still a lot of hurdles to overcome. But with women like you and stories like yours we will overcome!

Mary, congrats on your accomplishments. Best wishes to you and everyone working on their PI careers. Keep up the awesome work.
    -Robert Dalykas

robert.dalykas@pi-agency.us

Awesum Lady

Quote Originally Posted by Mary Saunders
    I went to college, got my degree, became one of the most famous interior designers in the country.

At age 28 I owned two businesses in Jackson Hole, WY and a $600,000.00 house. I was "going places" but I was not happy. I had always dreamed of being a PI.

My family made fun of me from the time I was 12 ("when I grow up I'm going to be Mrs. Magnum PI"). Anyway, no one took me serious and thought I could never make a living in Investigation.

Well, guess what... Three years ago I decided to take some correspondence courses. I ordered every PI Tarining manual written (Ha Ha). I have worked on various cases with local investigators.

Three months ago, I sold my businesses and got my Investigative Agency Licenses in Alabama and Mississippi. I am returning to my home state of Alabama and I plan to become one of the best in the industry.

Yes, everyone thinks I'm crazy but my husband and children support me 100%. I feel like, mid way in life, I am finally chasing my dreams. I already have many contacts in my area and I plan on oneday being known as one of the top Private Investigators in the Country.

Thanks, Richard, for inspiring me to share my story too.

Mary Saunders
    I am in Mississippi and if i can be of service....

You can achieve greatness or just stand there as it passes, i see you let nothing get by you. Good Luck in your new work and surroundings.

Just a side note, IMO as a designer you have an eye for detail. I believe that will help make the difference to put you on the TOP

Steven Lofing

I see your point

Quote Originally Posted by Katherine Wainscott
    Mary, it appears that you have touched many women's lives through your story. I started out in the medical field, then tried the airlines and finally am doing what I want to do. When I mentioned to my family and friends that I was going to be a PI I most got responses like "What?!?!?" and "No way" and "Do you have to cary a gun?" and "Isn't it dangerous?". An amazing amount of scepticizm. Now they envy me and can't wait to hear about the latest case. I think being a woman is the perfect disguise! It can be an amazing advantage. I wish some of the "good ole boys" would realize that too. Still a lot of hurdles to overcome. But with women like you and stories like yours we will overcome!
    I meant to include this comment with the above, but posted it too soon.
    The point is i believe in many cases the women can get where the man can't and vice-versa. I respect the female who chooses to enter this field and would not mind partnering with one. I have found in my previous career the woman is more likely to see details, especially in fields men have little knowledge in.

Ashley Mayne-- is offline Licensed Private Investigator

Distinguished Member:
    Private Investigators Forums
    Well done Mary,

It's good you don't listen to the knockers, otherwise where would you be? A good lesson for us all.
    Thanks

Thank you Steven! That was the point I was trying to make. I hope I didn't come across in a derogatory way against men. By no means! Just here in Georgia, particularly in the little towns, if a woman tries to work hand in hand with local law enforcement they run up against a brick wall. Those people are in my experience called "The good ole boys". They just don't like any outsiders treading on their territory. Again, that is in my experience and the experience of a couple of my female friends. But, times are changing for the better. A good PI practice should be diverse and have a little of everything to be able to handle every kind of case.

Quote Originally Posted by Katherine Wainscott
    Thank you Steven! That was the point I was trying to make. I hope I didn't come across in a derogatory way against men. By no means! Just here in Georgia, particularly in the little towns, if a woman tries to work hand in hand with local law enforcement they run up against a brick wall. Those people are in my experience called "The good ole boys". They just don't like any outsiders treading on their territory. Again, that is in my experience and the experience of a couple of my female friends. But, times are changing for the better. A good PI practice should be diverse and have a little of everything to be able to handle every kind of case.
    Always Remember Katherine,
    Simple Things come from Simple Minds.....Many ways to look at the same glass of water, "Half Full or Half Empty?"...........
    Keep up the good work ......

Lynne Knight is offline Certified Distinguished Member
    Private Investigators Forum

(Retired Moderator)
    Corporate Agency Member of:
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)

Nice!

What an inspirational story. Leaving almost all that you've known, starting all over again, basically. WOW! Congratulations on all of your accomplishments! I hope...... NO......I'll bet anything, you are still flying pretty high on choosing to follow your dreams.
    ~ Lynne ~

Good luck

Thanks for your motivating story. I hope you can now be happy with what you love doing the most PI.

Jack Campbell is offline Sr. Moderator (On Leave of Absence)

Sr. Distinguished Member:
    Private Investigators Forum
    Thanks for sharing a wonderful experience. It just goes to show that having faith in yourself, is what gets you by. Nomatter how people think your nuts, or crazy that you won't be successful in this career, you prove them wrong. Congrats. I wish you nothing but success.

James Bone is offline ***
    Licensed Private Investigator

2006 - 2011 Professional Member of:
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)
    Congratulations Mary. Don't ya just love it when a plan comes together. Good luck Sherlock, I mean Mary. I'm gonna be looking for you on a Talk Show. Congratulations again Mary.

Mary I love hearing about success stories and I expect in the next year or so I should also have my license as an agent. My family has thought that about me too and so I went into the Army worked a couple of assignments with a CID unit and became a part time police officer and supplimented my income working as a trainee for a firm I then left there and became a US MARINE. After the military, to improve my credentials I even to paralegal school to become and independant as well as going to school for electronics for servielance equipent usage and set up. I recently installed my micro CCTV system at my house because my neighbor and landlord was entering my abode without permission.

If I knew then what I now I would have my own license and be my own boss. Ever since I was a kid I have always own my own business and did so with a few bad ventures but I did and I'll keep doing it.

I want to say thank you for the encouragement.

JAMES G. SZELEST

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2