Thread: HOAX: Government Email sent from abuse@gov.us

Arrow HOAX: Government Email sent from abuse@gov.us

Another devious email lends us to falsely trust incoming emails.

EMAIL LOOKS LIKE THIS:

Subject: Internet Provider Abuse

Message: You have visited illegal websites. I have a big list of the websites you surfed.

++++ Attachment: No Virus found
    ++++ F-Secure AntiVirus - www.f-secure.com

File to Open: abuselist.zip

Then when I scanned their file to open, the scanning software (Norton) discovered the following:
    File name: abuselist.zip

Virus "W32.Netsky.P@mm" found.
    The file attached to this message was infected with a virus that we were unable to clean. You can not download this attachment.

Notice this:
    1. They fabricated the From Email Address to look like to came from the government.
    2. They fabricated that the file was already scanned for a virus.
    3. They fabricated that their file was approved by f-secure.com .

What to do ALWAYS:
    1. Install & Run your own Virus Software! It costs about $48/year, or $4 per month!
    2. Use a Free or Paid Yahoo Email Box. IPIU uses 31 Yahoo boxes to screen and scan all incoming email addresses. Yahoo offers the latest up-to-date free Norton scanning for emails. This is in ADDITION to your own Norton or Virus Software.
    3. Are you expecting an email from the sender? In this case, the "government" email I received came to an odd box we used. Further, all of our office computers are logged and we never surf illegal web sites. But to the novice, it can be disturbing to think the government is monitoring your computer.
    4. Before opening any attachment, the message read unlike what I expected from the sender. The sender wrote "I have a big list of websites you surfed." Government employees don't write like that! If you receive an email from IPIU, you will notice similarities in writing styles. Don't be fooled when you think we wrote something such as "I have a big list...". Know your sender's style.
    5. Know the difference between a web-based email box (such as Yahoo or Hotmail) and a PC based email box. All web-based email boxes allow you to open the text message to read it without worrying about opening a virus file. PC based emails, such as Outlook Express, does not allow you to even read the message text without risk. (Perhaps Windows will be releasing a safeguard soon. Therefore, using a web-based email is the safest, unless you are always running an up-to-date virus software on your PC.)
    6. When in doubt, scan the incoming email before you open it..
    7. If you do open emails, then run a FULL-SCAN on your computer once a day to catch anything that sneaked through.
    8. Be careful of FREE SCREENSAVERS. I downloaded a great looking screensaver from Yahoo and found later that the company got access to my PC by sending pop-up ad messages every 30 minutes. To remove it, I used the RESTORE feature in Windows XP to move back my Windows programs to the day before.
    9. And, use the RESTORE FEATURE in Windows through Programs, Accessories, System. There is an option for you to COPY all of your current settings on a specific day. When you are confident there is noting wrong with your PC, copy the settings. Therefore, if something happens next week you after you install software or open a file, etc, you can restore your whole system back to today without losing any documents.

Jerome O Isaac-- is offline Sr. Distinguished Member:
    Private Investigators Forum

2007 Honorary Ambassador of Good Will
    Greetings Robert, thanks for the heads up in this new Hoax, even though I'm quite skilled in keeping out these little Pests, I only read mails that come from IPIU.

That's the reason why I only use IPIU as my main source of Information peroid!

Again, thanks and have a great day.

Edward Taguba is offline Certified Distinguished Member
    Private Investigators Forums

Professional Member of:
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)
    Robert,

I got several emails like this.. but says FBI...

Thanks for the heads up.

Ed

Thanks, Robert! Let's hope all members read & follow your direction.

Tom...

Good catch! If you've got Norton Antivirus, it's good to run Live Update frequently to keep your PC even better protected. If I don't recognize the sender or I see a spelling error, I simply delete it immediately.

that is good info on the miss spell words.

There's a site I haven't visited in quite some time, but nonetheless, I think it's a good resource. I've used it numerous times in the past to remedy problems with my PC and those persistent problems that are out there.
    http://www.castlecops.com/forums.html
    This website is invaluable - formerly known as computercops.com
    Check it out; you just might find what you're looking for.

DJ Moran -- is offline Sr. Moderator:
    (On Leave of Absence)

Certified Distinguished Member
    Private Investigators Forum

Thumbs up Thanks

Thanks so much for the FYI,

Although,I have not received anything by email, pertaining to this, I do not open anything from those I do not know.

I am thankful of the provided information.

I have my computer set up to run Norton Anti Virus automatically twice a day, and as a precaution, I also delete all history, temporary internet files , and cookies, daily.( Just another tip)

I have had no problems since I started this kind of precaution.

Thanks and hope the tip helps too. "DJ"

Please be aware that an official website would be shown as @xxx.gov, not @xxx.gov.us. That should be the first thing that gets your attention.

Thanks for the Warning.