Thread: Bail Enforcement Laws in Maryland

Bail Enforcement Laws in Maryland

Can anyone post the requirements in Maryland, as well as any other information by people that work in Maryland in Bail Enforcement as so called Bounty Hunters ?

The town I live in is chock full of people that have skipped out on bail and there is money to be made here.

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Murphy
    Can anyone post the requirements in Maryland, as well as any other information by people that work in Maryland in Bail Enforcement as so called Bounty Hunters ?

The town I live in is chock full of people that have skipped out on bail and there is money to be made here.
    Hi Karl,
    I live in Maryland also. I am a licensed Bounty Hunter for the state of Delaware because Maryland has not been giving class on Fugitive Recovery for a while (at least not the part I am in)
    Are you a licensed Bounty Hunter? What part of Maryland do you live in?
    Maria

Hi Karl,
    I just noticed that you live in Washington. Are you licensed there or are you a licensed Bounty Hunter in any state? I am wondering why you are interested in Maryland when you are in Washington.
    It is hard to find a good and trustworthy partner in this business but if you find one then there is extremely good money in this line of work.
    Maria

Re: Bail Enforcement Laws in Maryland

What are the Requirements to be come a bounty hunter for maryalnd

Maria, I'm also a Delaware BEA and we do training certifications and bail classes for agents. Our training facility is in eastern MD. How long have you been doing bea?

Have Fun,
    BRENDA L IRWIN
    Bail Enforcement Agent
    Delware - USA

(Website Link Approval Pending)

Rupert E MacLean III is offline Licensed Private Investigator
    Corporation Owner

2008-2009 Professional Member of:
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)

Maryland does not regulate bail enforcement. There are bills brought up every year to attempt to do so, but they have not passed. I would recommend that anyone looking for state statutes to look them up on the state website. These laws change rapidly and you could find yourself in jail if you interpreted the laws incorrectly or were working off an older post from a number of websites that post current bail laws. Most of them are outdated.

Scott

Corporation Owner

I am new to this group and don't want to appear rude...however, as investigators you must be inquisitive and tenacious. Do the research yourself, then ask questions. If you can't find the information from a Google search, then ask and somebody with "Local Knowledge" can direct you. You must get used to reading statutes, learn how to find them etc. to be successful. I will help anybody that has demonstrated the ability to help themselves.

Scott

John Sanderson is offline Lifetime Member

Corporate Agency Member of:

In most states, licensing of P.I.'s, Bail Agents, Process Servers, Asset Recovery Technitions (repo operators), and Constables is done through the state police. Also in most states, for a license to carry a concealed fire arm, you would apply at your local police station, State police headquarters, or city hall.
    Please research before you apply for these as they will require some information and fees, and you don't want to interrupt the process because you not prepared. Also very important, Check the laws governing surveilance frequently, there is a thin line between stalking and surveilance. When I lived in Maryland a good friend of mine was arrested for following a targets girlfriend in hopes of finding his target. He was charged with stalking.
    I hope all this is helpful, but I have to agree with P.I. MacLean III; You have to learn to find and interpret laws properly or you could end up in a lot of leagal entanglements.

What is the atmosphere in MD as far as getting work? Should I open a company, or do bondsman contract individuals. Since Maryland does not regulate bail enforcement, would I be required to be bonded, or insured? How hard is it to obtain a concealed weapons permit while in this line of work?
    I would appriciate it if, only MD residents or administrators, or moderators answer this entry.
    Thank-you
    John Sanderson

Corporation Owner

MD bailbonds have been slow as there has been significant issues wit the Chief Judge of the District Court.

You can't get insurance as a fugitive recovery agent, since nobody will insure you against a willful criminal act. You can be insured as a PI, but many insurance companies have exclusions for Bail Enforcement.

How you establish your business is up to you and Bondsmen don't care and are not impressed with fancy business cards and no track record. Bondsmen look at recovery people as a potential lawsuit, and tend to stick with people they know. There are a good many unscrupulous bondsmen that will hire you and not pay you. The cases you will get are all of the cold cases they could not solve and are therefore very difficult and trampled over. There has to be the "IT" factor that will motivate a potential client to hire you over a current known and successful recovery guy or girl.

Gun permits are an entirely different issue. MD is Democratic and very liberal (read anti-gun) and you will jump through hoops to include a face to face interview to determine your legitimate need and personality. This process is achievable and not cheap. Many people, including myself, do not encourage armed fugitive recovery for many reasons, to include the focus of mitigating liability. If someone you are after is so dangerous that you can't accomplish your task without being armed, you won't be getting paid enough to offset the risk involved. Do your investigation and brief the local police and let them take the subject down based on your investigation.

Stay safe,

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by John Sanderson View Post
    What is the atmosphere in MD as far as getting work? Should I open a company, or do bondsman contract individuals. Since Maryland does not regulate bail enforcement, would I be required to be bonded, or insured? How hard is it to obtain a concealed weapons permit while in this line of work?
    I would appriciate it if, only MD residents or administrators, or moderators answer this entry.
    Thank-you
    John Sanderson
    John,

How's the business coming along?

Welcome to the union Mathew.
    I am still in the process of opening the company.
    I have has some pretty massive personal challenges, so my plans have been delayed.
    Please visit my intro thread by right clicking on my name to the top left of this box.

John Sanderson

hello, i am in the same boat. I live in baltimore and im trying to become an BEA. Its hard to start when every training center is in ohio or denver. if anyone knows a place closer by please please point me there.

also ms.Brenda I do you still offer the trainning?

anyone can contact me

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Wilson View Post
    hello, i am in the same boat. I live in baltimore and im trying to become an BEA. Its hard to start when every training center is in ohio or denver. if anyone knows a place closer by please please point me there.

also ms.Brenda I do you still offer the trainning?

anyone can contact me
    IPIU offers two (2) Bounty Hunter Courses:

Cynthia Ford
    Administrator - IPIU
    ----------

Greetings everyone,

I have purchased the IPIU's BEA library and certification course and can say for certain, it leaves you with very few questions.

Through experience and research, bail bondsman prefer to hire people who are certified PI's and have experience in skip tracing. The practical way to achieve this is by becoming certified in investigations and begin as a process server, if you have no experience at all.

I have worked a couple cases from the background, locating fugitives for bondsman and bounty hunters but have not dove in completely. I have found though, you have to select the bondsman you work for the same way he selects his agents. I have encountered some very shady characters.

Those who have access to the bounty hunter forum are free to post in the Task Force Investigations thread with detailed questions. I have learned quite a bit about the industry in the last few years and might be able to help some of you get work.
    John Sanderson

Task Force Investigations
    Logistics Department

Liz Mason - is offline Private Investigator Forum Member
    Sponsored by:
    Blog Entries

From Internet Resource:
    Currently, there are no specific laws pertaining to Bounty Hunters in Maryland. However, there are a number of requirements applying to “Bail Agents,” and there is pending legislation that may require licensing for Fugitive Recovery Agents. Thus, it is important to become educated on bail laws and safe practices if you wish to become a Bounty Hunter in Maryland.

How to Become a Bounty Hunter in Maryland

Presently there are little requirements beyond being employed by a licensed Bail Agent. But Bail Agents must comply with a strict set of rules for licensure as regulated by the Maryland Insurance Administration: they must be employed by a licensed insurer, file with the Insurance Commissioner and Chief Clerk of the District Court, be of good character, at least 18, be knowledgeable about bail insurance, and have at least a year’s experience as an employee of a bail insurer. Lastly, they must pass an exam from the Insurance Commissioner and continuing education is required for license renewal. To go into business by yourself as a Bounty Hunter, then, requires both education and experience in the bail bond business and, with impending legislation, it is possible that this will be required for Bounty Hunters in the future.

Maryland Bounty Hunter Licenses and Requirements

There currently are no specific licenses or requirements applying specifically to Bounty Hunters in Maryland. However, Bail Agent’s licenses must meet a number of requirements as listed above, including continuing education of no less than 16 hours before license renewal. As such, education is highly recommended for Bounty Hunters in Maryland and is necessary for those who wish to work personally with the courts.