Thread: Being a Bounty Hunter

Smile Being a Bounty Hunter

I was kind of wondering. If I'm pursuing a career in the PI field, could I aslo train to be a bounty hunter? I think I would like to learn them both. And does anyone know the laws for being a bounty hunter in the state of Pa.

Re: Being a Bounty Hunter

Originally posted by Cory A. Ford
    I was kind of wondering. If I'm pursuing a career in the PI field, could I aslo train to be a bounty hunter? I think I would like to learn them both.
    Send an email to bounty@ipiu.org for an auto-response. One of the options is to enroll in IPIU's Advanced Bounty Hunter course, which includes access to the Bounty Hunter Forum.

And does anyone know the laws for being a bounty hunter in the state of Pa.
    I will look into this and post the info.

Thanks Robert

Robert, I would like to thank you for your help. Thanks

PA Bail Laws

Corey,

Welcome. Here is the statue on PA. Bail bondsman rights to arrest. I hope it helps...

The surety upon receiving a bail piece from the court may apprehend the defendant wherever and whenever found (Rules of Crim. Proc. Ch 4016). A bondsman has a right to pursue and arrest the principal in another state. (Key#80 of Penn Digest 2d CA Pa 1971) UCEA

Is there a link where I could find out if there is a bail bondsman in my location or nearby. I'd like to e-mail IPIU about getting in the forum for bounty hunters but I have none of there requirements, unless I have sponser. And I really don't want to use someones name without there permission. But I'm interested in persueing a career in the bounty hunting field as well.

Cory,

Just look in your local phone book under Bail Bondsmen and there should be a multitude of them for your viewing.
    Sandy Wright

Is there a link where I could find out if there is a bail bondsman in my location or nearby. I'd like to e-mail IPIU about getting in the forum for bounty hunters but I have none of there requirements, unless I have sponser. And I really don't want to use someones name without there permission. But I'm interested in persueing a career in the bounty hunting field as well.
    IPIU students in Academic Studies in Bounty Hunting have access. Look at that email you received.

Does anyone know If IPIU could help me get a job in the bounty hunting field? I was just curious. I'd like to get involved in this as well.

Does anyone know If IPIU could help me get a job in the bounty hunting field? I was just curious. I'd like to get involved in this as well.
    We just announced today the Advanced Training for Bounty Hunter Course in the Educational Forum. Job placements will develop in about 3 months, as it takes quite a bit of individual effort. But all course students will have free access to the Bounty Hunter Forum where other professionals can help with placement.

Click Here: Advanced Video-Book Training Library

William R. Larson - is offline (Retired from Forum Activity)

Former Sr. Distinguished Member:
    Private Investigators Forum
    I am somehow missing that announcement. I'll keep looking. Maybe it's too early for my brain to figure it out!

WRL

Originally posted by William R. Larson
    I am somehow missing that announcement. I'll keep looking. Maybe it's too early for my brain to figure it out!

WRL
    I just added the following:

Click Here: Advanced Video-Book Training Library

Boston

Does anyone know of anything about my state?
    Brian G Porter

Petra Post - is offline Retired Administrator
    ***** Certified SPI

Former Insignio Distinguished Member:
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Brian G Porter
    Does anyone know of anything about my state?
    Dear Brian,
    Welcome to IPIU. Enjoy reading all the given material in numerous threads. A lot of your questions may already been asked by others and answered as well... just take a closer look. Good Luck...
    Look under Bounty Law Boston... it will explain all there... You can use your search button if needed.

IPIU students in Academic Studies in Bounty Hunting have access.

I am not familiar Academic Studies in Bounty Hunting. Can you explain? Do you need your PI License to be a Bounty Hunter?

Please advise.

Thank you, Julie Mercer

Can you only receive the Announcement in the Bounty Hunter Forum if you a certain level?

Thank, Julie Mercer

How do Bounty Hunters receive payment? Just curious...I hadn't found that question being asked yet.

Iam looking down the line of this one to.I went to school which they call bounty Hunters it is really call Bail Enforcement Agent and I have a Certification & II have a Certification In Private Investigator. I really learning more from other people of what they have to say on the topice.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Egan
    & II have a Certification In Private Investigator.
    Could you elaborate on that certication? I would like to understand that better.

Thanks,
    Julie Mercer

***** Certified SPI

It depends what level we are. Everybody can get into public forums... then we have the ones you need level 2,3, and 4 for... if you can, use your search button and play with it for a while... see what pops up. It will tell you if you haven't got to a level yet, where you can't get in... Good luck to you all... see you around in the forums...

Petra,
    I certainly do see you everywhere! When you put PI Trainee after your name does that mean you working as a Trainee?
    Julie Mercer

***** Certified SPI

Quote Originally Posted by Julie Mercer
    Petra,
    I certainly do see you everywhere! When you put PI Trainee after your name does that mean you working as a Trainee?
    Julie Mercer
    Hi Julie,
    You and I both are trainees, looking to become PI's one day. I chose that for my signature because I kind of like the sound of it. No, if the question is, if I am already going on assignments. It is too soon. I still have to receive my manual and test. Everything we do here, is part of our training. Until we get to level 4, you will see me everywhere. Looking forward to seeing you, take care...

Steve Degon is offline Licensed Private Investigator

Private Investigator Member
    Private Investigator’s in Fugitive Recovery

By Steven De Gon, LPI/CFRA

I feel that this will be a meaningful outline why Private Investigator are better at Fugitive Recovery than the so called “Bounty Hunter”. Foremost private investigators have very good resources as well as the natural instinct in locating individuals. The so called bounty hunter doesn’t have the resources such as IRB, Merlin, LocatePlus, to name a few. We also do further investigations as far as side tracking the individual. When doing fugitive recovery side tracking is important, for the individual that we are hunting always go home to mommy, daddy, husband, wife , son, daughter. They have to have some source of contact with them.
    We also go as far , if need be search court records, assets, motor vehicles, and so on. The typical bounty hunter, not saying all, just don’t think outside the box. Bounty hunters don’t require licensing in many states which has the tendency to create “wanna be’s”, or what I would like to call “Cowboys”.
    Another thing I find is a problem with the average bounty hunter is they have very poor surveillance skills and patience. It’s kick in the door, and that can create problems for both them and the individual or the party that has nothing to do with the suspect at all and this can be very dangerous for everyone and cause future problems for the industry. This is a business that could create great things for private investigators in the future. Some states have even passed or considering passing laws that only investigators can do fugitive recovery.
    Hunting Fugitives is like looking for a needle in a hay stack at times. Some of them are career criminals and they have been running from the law all there lives and they now how to stay hidden. That is where the skills of a Private Investigator comes into play. For, example tracking down the homeless, no address, no car, no family or no family locally, nothing. Where do you start looking. Well a good investigator now’s where to look. There is a old saying , that investigators learn first and foremost you have to “think outside the box”. The application that is filled out when someone is bonded doesn’t always tell the truth. So; the process of elimination starts. So are all the numbers good, are the address right, do they really own that vehicle. This is where IRB comes into play or go to the county building and running records or even possibly go to the County jail and ask them for the arrest records.
    These are just a few steps to start with.
    Investigating isn’t just in the office you have to go out and do surveillance and ask questions. Sometime talking to people face to face can tell you if they are lying or telling the truth. Or; locating that mother-in-law or father-in-law or ex-wife or husband is a very good start. Remember in our business there is no such thing as a coincidence. Some how one thing leads to another.

Visit my forum site for more, information;

NEW< NEEDING Help !

HI, My name is Sherry and I an new to IPIU and I hope to learn alot from everyone, and will soon be of help to others. I am a PI TRAINEE and also interseted in Bounty Hunting also in my state of Va. My first qustion I guess is do you have to pay for the training and skill you learn in here, and if so how much. I did see the different membership fees and the benifits you get with each one,, But I never saw and courses or test or anything like that,,, HELP PLEASE ! Tell me what I need to do. I a currentlly taking a PI course at Thompson Direct , but found this site and thought it was a good please to learn more as I go; any help I would greatly appreceate!

Sherry Osborne
    PI TRAINEE

My husband is also interested in being a bounty hunter. He has gotten interested in IPIU ever since I have started on here. Is bounty hunting pretty much along the same lines and PI??

What are the Laws in Maryland in regards to Bail Enforcement ?

hello im heather and im applying with ipiu and am wondering about the training. what does it cost me and how long is the training for. im from wisconsin and wondering what kind of jobs there are from me here.

i joined ipiu while in iraq i came home hoping i can get a job as a pi or trainee at least i need some help on how to get started i am in the pa philadelphia area if there is anyone that can get me on the right track thanks much

Duane,
    First of of I want to thank you for your courage that you have already shown going to iraq and thanful for your safe return. I mayself am new at this and someone else could probably help you more. But here is what I am doing,,, I am taking a PI course through Education Direct, (aka THOMPSON EDUCATION DIRECT) you can find that on the internet and it tells you what all do to and they send you the enrollment papers, and you go from there. I am also interested in bounty hunting as well , and different states have different licinse requirements. I live in Va. I find IPUI will also be very helpful in both the fields of PI and bounty hunting. Looking over everything and everyone seems to be very helpful and after just reading through some of the levels you find information that you want to ask about that as already been asked and replied to with that particular information. Hope this helps some ! Good Luck !

Exclamation Being a bounty hunter

After reading the posts from those seeking to become bounty hunters, I felt I should write this reply. Becoming a bounty hunter, or bail bondsperson is not what TV and the movies show. Having retired as a police officer in a moderate sized and very busy city, I can attest to the fact that it can be very boring and quite dangerous. Most people that forfeit their bond are doing so for a reason. They don't want to go to prison or back to prison. They usually have commited a major felony and most likely would do so again. Should you be lucky enough to find one, believe me, they won't go with you willingly. I have been injured several times trying to apprehend bail jumpers. It takes an extremely well prepared and trained person usually with assistance, to do so. It's not as glamorous as it seems, but it can result in monetary rewards. Most bondsmen are paid a percentage of the bail that has been set, by the person or company that posted it. They lose money if he or she is not caught, so it is worth it to them. I hope this helps.

I have to agree with Carl Oaklund about the job of a bounty hunter. I have to tell you that unless you are highly trained in surveillance, covert operations, self defense and weapons, you are in the wrong profession. I know that some may find the job as fun, glamorous and a money maker. It might be fun if you like the chase but what happens when you find the subject or don't find him or her. The job is highly dangerous compared to that of a Law Enforcement officer. Being a bountry hunter leaves you on your own out there by your self. Few, if any police agencies will give you the aid that you need to capture the subject and incarerate.

You are better off becoming a para legal, rather than a bounty hunter, the pay is better.

We all know Hollywood movies are only for sappy entertainment of the rubes.

Mr. Karl Murphy,

I couldn't agree with you more!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Degon
    Private Investigator’s in Fugitive Recovery

By Steven De Gon, LPI/CFRA

I feel that this will be a meaningful outline why Private Investigator are better at Fugitive Recovery than the so called “Bounty Hunter”. Foremost private investigators have very good resources as well as the natural instinct in locating individuals. The so called bounty hunter doesn’t have the resources such as IRB, Merlin, LocatePlus, to name a few. We also do further investigations as far as side tracking the individual. When doing fugitive recovery side tracking is important, for the individual that we are hunting always go home to mommy, daddy, husband, wife , son, daughter. They have to have some source of contact with them.
    We also go as far , if need be search court records, assets, motor vehicles, and so on. The typical bounty hunter, not saying all, just don’t think outside the box. Bounty hunters don’t require licensing in many states which has the tendency to create “wanna be’s”, or what I would like to call “Cowboys”.
    Another thing I find is a problem with the average bounty hunter is they have very poor surveillance skills and patience. It’s kick in the door, and that can create problems for both them and the individual or the party that has nothing to do with the suspect at all and this can be very dangerous for everyone and cause future problems for the industry. This is a business that could create great things for private investigators in the future. Some states have even passed or considering passing laws that only investigators can do fugitive recovery.
    Hunting Fugitives is like looking for a needle in a hay stack at times. Some of them are career criminals and they have been running from the law all there lives and they now how to stay hidden. That is where the skills of a Private Investigator comes into play. For, example tracking down the homeless, no address, no car, no family or no family locally, nothing. Where do you start looking. Well a good investigator now’s where to look. There is a old saying , that investigators learn first and foremost you have to “think outside the box”. The application that is filled out when someone is bonded doesn’t always tell the truth. So; the process of elimination starts. So are all the numbers good, are the address right, do they really own that vehicle. This is where IRB comes into play or go to the county building and running records or even possibly go to the County jail and ask them for the arrest records.
    These are just a few steps to start with.
    Investigating isn’t just in the office you have to go out and do surveillance and ask questions. Sometime talking to people face to face can tell you if they are lying or telling the truth. Or; locating that mother-in-law or father-in-law or ex-wife or husband is a very good start. Remember in our business there is no such thing as a coincidence. Some how one thing leads to another.

Visit my forum site for more, information;
    Hi,

I have learned threw alot of research that your PI license would be extreamly valuable in the persuit of (being politicilly correct) Bail Enforcement Agent Careers. The number one thing that an agent must do is find the skip> and what do PI"s do Find things and people. SO having the skills of a PI not only makes your job easier but it also gives you a little edge as to the techniques and ways BEA's find there man. Plus I found that the time spent with studying and obtaining a PI license goes towards the education requirments needed to obtain a BEA license. Here in my state you need 20 hours of education minimum to obtiain a license. So this could be "credits" towords that requirement because of the skills learned in investigation and servallence.

Just food for thought.

Does anyone know what the average TAT is that is exceptable to the courts or most Bail Bondsmen as to recapturing an skip. My assumption is that it would be based on the case and the sevarity of the crime as well as the amount of the bail. I am just guessing though. Any thought or facts?

Peace! Can some one inform me as to whether one person can be both a bail bondsman and a bounty hunter?

I think Fugitive recovery is similar to the nervous system like the adreanal junkie that has to skydive etc, thats why so many are drawn to it

John,
    What you are saying is very true however if you make contact with local law enforcement on a regular basis and show you are professional you may get a little bit more support. Even if you know you will not be hooking up anyone in an area that day it is a good idea to go chat with the local watch commander and give him printouts of the warrant, PC 1299 for referance, your picture and picture and info on your car. This shows them that you want to keep them in the loop and your not a Rambo.
    If you ever need any help let me know.