Thread: Do we need a license, or just act as citizen within our lawful rights?

Do we really need a lisence??

This seems to be more of a philosophy question but here it goes.

I read somewhere that a PI has no more rights than any other citizen. That despite what is on tv or in the movies, PI's dont go arresting people and the such. We are not law enforcement officers.

So if a PI only has the same rights as any other citizen, then why does a PI need to have a lisence?

Frank L. Snider III

William R. Larson - is offline (Retired from Forum Activity)

Former Sr. Distinguished Member:
    Private Investigators Forum
    Frank -

You do, but yet you don't.

It varies from state to state. For example, in my state of Minnesota, you do not need a license to be a private investigator if you are working for a licensed agency. If I were to plan to go out on my own, I would need to obtain a license if I wanted to practice in Minnesota (unless I wanted to practice unlawfully, but that is where the code of ethics comes in).

The laws vary state to state.

Here is a link to a thread in this forum that should give you more information.

CLICK HERE: Illinois PI Licensing

If you browse some of the other states mentioned, you will most likely find that some do not have licensing requirements.

I am not really sure why some states require licenses and some do not. As you said, a private investigator does not have any more rights than a private citizen. I could give some guesses as to why licensing is sometimes required, but they would be only guesses.

WRL

Licensing in all states and governments came about because of one thing: Advertising.

You don't need a license to be a private investigator anywhere! But you may need a license if any form (business card, phone books, etc) is used to advertise. Otherwise, you could be a private investigator working as an employee for anu company investigating the companies employees and clients.

As private investigators began advertising and taking cash retainers from clients, some did not perform the services which led to regulation.

J. Bryant Peternell Guest
    Please correct me if I'm wrong.

So If I am an Ivestigator in Colorado I can do investigations in Minnestoa without a license as long as I am not advertising my PI business.

The reason I am asking is because I have connections in Minnesota and I want to conduct small investigations such as investigations that last no longer than a week or less at a time.

Thank you and please inform me if this is incorrect.

JBP

Shannon Marble is offline Private Investigator Forum Member

Union Member of International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)
    Frank, It is my understanding that some basic services you can do without a liscense. It can be confusing and I would like a more clear answer as well in my own state of TN.

Re: Do we need a license, or just act as citizen within our lawful rights?

Ethics play a big part in the future of your career and I can not imagine operating an agency that would be considered illegal. However, that being said, I am curious as well regarding using the Colorado package and still working in another state. For example, in my case I am in Nevada but would have the corporate shared office in CO. and and office here.