Thread: Licensing in New York State?

Thumbs up Licensing in New York State?

Hi!

This site is great. I'm trying to learn as much as possible about process serving for NYS. I've looked at the state site for licensing, but it doesn't reference process servers, only PI's. I know you need one for New York City, but what about the rest of the state? I live in Western New York...Thanks for your help.

William,
    Welcome to I.P.I.U. you are now in the right place to learn a lot of what you will need. It can be overwhelming at times, especially living in New York State, with our laws and such. Process Serving regulations for our area, western N.Y., are easy to understand. DO NOT take my words as LAW, I have talked to many Justices and I have friends in Law Enforcement that have given me the information that I use.
    It has been told to me that as long as YOU are not in direct relation or directly involved with the person(s) you are serving, and you are above the age of 18 yrs. that you can serve papers on anyone. Some localities do have registration and licenses for this, kind of like a business license; so check with your county or City Offices to check on it.
    Any time you need some free advice let me know, and READ, READ, READ all the post you can, there is a LOT of information here in these forums that can educate you on things you did not even know you needed to be taught. Overall have fun and do not get frustrated, 6 months ago I never thought I would be doing the things I am right now.

Take Care & God Bless Fellow Western New Yorker

Bradley,
    I too am interested in the business of process server. I live in lower part of NYS,
    on the border of NYS/NJ. I would like to know if you have to work under someone
    like a licensed PI to do process server work or do you just pay for some certificate
    stating your a process server. I don't think you need schooling for this, is that
    correct? I want to be able to do process service work in NYS and NJ and want to
    know what do I have to do or get to get this accomplished because I would like to
    start my own business after this is accomplished. Please advise.

Thanks,
    John

Bradley I'm not sure exactly how to contact you. Thru a forum or direct somehow?

Thanks
    John

Edward Dixon is offline *** Certified

Professional Management Member of:
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)

Re: Licensing in New York State?

Any helpful tips on starting out as a process server in upstate New York from IPIU members that are process servers in upstate New York?
    Edward Dixon
    IPIU MEMBER

Badge # 11584
    www.edward.dixon.pi-agency.us