Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: PI LICENSING: Minnesota

PI LICENSING: Minnesota

Source Links:

Minnesota Session Laws (Key: (1) language to be deleted (2) new language

CHAPTER 7506, PRIVATE DETECTIVES AND PROTECTIVE AGENTS

2011 Minnesota Statutes - 326.3381 LICENSES.

Based on the above source links,

EXEMPTIONS:

1. NO LICENSE NEEDED FOR: A Proprietary employer. A proprietary employer is not required to obtain a license as a private investigator. But for the hiring of security guards, the employer must comply with section 326.336, subdivision 1.

2. NO LICENSE NEEDED FOR: Private Investigator employee while conducting an
      investigation of a pending or potential claim against the employee's employer. Sec. 12/1. [326.3341]

3. NO LICENSE NEEDED FOR: Private Investigator persons engaged exclusively in obtaining and furnishing information as to the financial standing, rating, and credit responsibility of persons or as to the personal habits and financial responsibility of applicants for insurance, indemnity bonds, or commercial credit;

4. NO LICENSE NEEDED FOR: Private Investigator

5. NO LICENSE NEEDED FOR: Private Investigator

6. NO LICENSE NEEDED FOR: Private Investigator

7. NO LICENSE NEEDED FOR: [/B]

NO LICENSE NEEDED, IF WORKING a::[/size]
    326.3381 Exemptions:

1. NO LICENSE NEEDED IF: Persons engaged exclusively in obtaining and furnishing information as to the financial standing, rating, and credit responsibility of persons or as to the personal habits and financial responsibility of applicants for insurance, indemnity bonds, or commercial credit;

2. NO LICENSE NEEDED IF: A private investigator employed by an attorney or a law firm engaged in investigating legal matters;

3. NO LICENSE NEEDED IF: An employee while providing security or conducting an investigation of a pending or potential claim against the employee's employer;

4. NO LICENSE NEEDED IF: A collection agency or finance company licensed to do business under the laws of this state or an employee of one of those companies while acting within the scope of employment when making an investigation incidental to the business of the agency, including an investigation as to location of a debtor, of the debtor's assets or property, provided the client has a financial interest in or a lien upon the assets or property of the debtor;

5. NO LICENSE NEEDED IF: Persons engaged in responding to alarm signals including, but not limited to, fire alarms, industrial process failure alarms and burglary alarms, for purposes of maintaining, repairing or resetting the alarm, or for opening the premises for law enforcement personnel or responding agents.

6. NO LICENSE NEEDED IF: A peace officer or employee of the United States, this state or one of its political subdivisions, while engaged in the discharge of official duties for the government employer;

7. NO LICENSE NEEDED IF: An attorney-at-law while performing the duties of an attorney-at-law.

TO OBTAIN A LICENSE TO SOLICIT FOR YOUR OWN CLIENTS:

The applicant, qualified representative or Minnesota Manager for a PRIVATE DETECTIVE license must provide documentation supporting a minimum of 6,000 hours of employment, as an investigator in one or more of the following areas, showing competency and ability:
    1. Employed as an investigator with a licensed private detective agency.

2. Employed as an investigator with a United States government investigative service.

3. Employed as an investigator for a city police department or sheriff's office.

4. Be employed in an occupation the Board finds equivalent in scope, responsibility and training as one of the specific occupations listed above.

Updated

License Check PDF Link

Web site: https://dps.mn.gov/entity/pdb/Pages/default.aspx

Unhappy licensing question about MN

I was reading the licensing laws and I wanted to know if you can work as a trainee without a license.

Because I saw that it said to get licensed you have to work 600 hours with a private investigator ,but under the heading NO LICENSE REQUIRED IF.. it didnt say you didnt need a license if your a trainee.Hopefully someone knows the awnser??

Nate Anderson
    a-b-c-d....just go with the flow

Re: licensing question about MN

Originally posted by Nathan Anderson
    I was reading the licensing laws and I wanted to know if you can work as a trainee without a license.
    Yes, providing you work for companies or law firms that are listed in the 7 exemptions above.

Aaron Grecinger Guest
    Is my assumption correct in that you could also interpret #4 as to mean that you could work as a bail enforcement agent also without a specific license since you are doing work to collect a debt? This is the closest thing I have found that applies to MN. As I am interested in persuing a career in this field, I would much appreciate any information you could give me to point towards the proper starting point.

Thank you,
    Aaron Grecinger

Lightbulb MN PI Licensing

License requirements for MN are very specific and the process is lengthy. I'll give a brief in this response but if you want all the specific details you should visit the MN Department Of Public Safety web site. The Private Detectives and Protective Agents Services Board is a branch of the MN DPS.

To begin with there are two types of licenses issued by "The Board." Those are "Private Detective License" which gives you the authority to practice as a Private Detective or Protective Agent or both.

The second license is strictly a "Protective Agent" license. This license allows you authority to advertise and practice only as a security provider and not an investigator. The application/license fee for a first time Protective Agent license is less as well. The first time fee for a sole proprietor Private Detective License application review is $1000.00 and I believe for just a Protective License is $800.00. If after the Board reviews your initial application they elect to deny your request for license they will refund only $500.00 / $400.00 of the fee respectively. If your interest lies in possessing a larger than sole proprietor agency then intitial fees increase according to the number of employees that you intend to have.

As for the required experience base to qualify for the Private Detective License...6000 (not 600) hours of documentable employment as an investigator are required. If not as an investigator then in a field "The Board" will consider equal in scope and duty to being an investigator. Claimed experience as an actual investigator needs to be attained through working for a law enforcement agency, local, state, or federal, or through a licensed agency.

As for the required experience base to qualify for the Protective Agent license...6000 hours of documentable employment as a supervisory or management level security professional are required to qualify.

Something you may want to keep in mind when considering your experience for application is this...when they state documentable they really, really mean it. The license application package that "The Board" sends you ($25.00 just for the package) includes release of information forms that require your previous employers to detail the scope and nature of the work you performed for them which you are claiming as part of your 6000 qualifying hours. You will need to have one of these forms filled out by every employer you use for this purpose. Plus each of these experience forms will need to be notarized.

In addition to the documentation of experience for either or both licenses the application package will provide you with forms to get personal recommendations from a minimum of 5 people who have known you for a minimum of 5 years attesting to the fact that you are a trustworthy and decent person. These forms also must be notarized.

A few other things play into the requirements for being a licensed P.I. in MN as well. For openers is the education requirements. You will be required to complete a "Board" certified 12 hour Private Investigator Pre-assignment course before you can apply. Also you will need to complete a "Board" certified 12 hour Protective Agent Pre-assignment course as well. If you are applying only for the Protective Agent license you will not need the P.I. pre-assingment course. "The Board" has a list of certified trainers for these courses on thier web site.

If you intend to carry a fire arm in your work you will also need to have a 12 hour Board certified course on carrying a concealed weapon. And the training requirements in such a course are very specific and include CPR/1st aid and firing range qualification to include low light and in the dark firing on the range. If you intend to carry or use other tools (weapons) in your work certified training for each tool is required prior to using that tool. Some of those tools include...pepper spray...handcuffs...baton...or physical restraints such as carotid neck hold. A list of these trainers is also provided on "The Boards" web site. In addition to the basic pre-assignment certified training there are annual 6 hour continuuing education requirements as well. This is true even if you are just working for another licensed agency either in the capacity as an investigator or a protective agent.

When submitting the application you will be required to have already acquired a MN Business license under the name your agency will have which will cost you about $50.00 plus another $36.00 to post your business assumed name in a local legal ledger. If you plan on employing people other than yourself or your immediate family members (defining a sole proprietorship type of business) you will be required to attain workers compensation insurance prior to submitting your application.

Also part of the package is documentation for proving financial responsibility. Piece one is a $10,000.00 surety bond taken out in naming The Private Detective and Protective Agent Services Board as the entity being protected by the bond. Keep in mind that these figures apply to a license that is for a sole propietorship based agency. Corporations or agencies with more than you as employees increase the levels of financial responsibility required. The other part of financial responsibility can be achieved in one of three ways...a letter of deposit from your bank that states you have $10,000.00 plus in funds deposited that are locked up...a letter of proven assets from a C.P.A. or a liability insurance policy for your agency. Whatever method of proof you choose it has to be established and documented prior to the application being submitted. All of the attorneys that I visited with regarding the best method of proving financial responsibility suggested the liability insurance method. And that is the method I used for my application.

Be prepared to search a bit for the liability insurance. There are not many underwriters that are willing to cover Private Detectives and Protective Agents. I secured a policy with a $1,000,000.00 per occurance coverage with a $2,000,000.00 umbrella. The policy cost me $1,356.00 for one year and the underwriter required the whole amount up front prior to issuing the binder which is what "The Board" requires with the submission of your application. It took my insurance agent the better part of 2 months to find the right insurance tool for me. And when shopping be sure that the underwriter specifies in the binder coverage for "ommissions" and "fire arms."

Speaking of fire arms...in the State of MN a permit to carry is issued by the local Police Chief or County Sheriff respectively. The fire arms training that will qualify for getting a MN conceal carry permit does not necessarily qualify for the requirements for the license you are after. i.e. The NRA training qualifies for a private citizen to acquire a conceal carry permit but does not qualify for carrying on the job as a security officer or private detective.

Another word to the wise...I began my quest to submit my application for a P.I. license here in MN well over a year ago. I finally got the entire application package put together and submitted on Sept. 3, 2002. Once you submit be prepared to wait. There are only two fulltime people working in "The Boards" office to accomplish the initial application review and they recieve many applications each year. Pay very close attention to even the most minor detail in your application forms, documents, and the instructions they send you with the application package. One little ommission or mistake will result in that item in the package being sent back to you for correction. Any returns for correction will result in review of your application coming to a stop until you address the issue they have sent back to you.

Some simple advise if you are applying...do not assume that your insurance agent has checked over everything and done thier job. I had two returns on my documentation and both returns were insurance related. On my surety bond they (the agent) had failed to have one page notarized. On my liability policy the underwriter had "The Boards" address wrong and had also created a typo in the coverage dates. They listed the policy experation date as a month after it started instead of a year later. i.e. 9-1-2002 to 10-1-2002 instead of 10-1-2003. So before you submit...when you think you finally have it all put together...read it all again...and then re-read it all again. It will be to your benefit if you do.

Last but not least...be prepared to do an investigation on yourself as the primary part of this application process. "The Board" wants to know it all about you and your past. They want to know every job (not just the ones that you are claiming qualifying experience for) you have ever held and the dates. They want to know every address you have lived at and the dates. You will be required to provide a "durable and current photo" of yourself. A digital will not work. It is not durable enough. I used a passport photo after they sent back my first photo. And they will require a set of fingerprints up front as well.

As of this writing (1-23-03) I have yet to come before "The Board." I am hoping it will happen before the end of this month. If you are planning to undertake this application process I wish you the best of luck. Be honest...be dedicated...be dilligent...and most of all be patient.

Oh...as for practicing as a Bond Recovery Agent (Bounty Hunter) in MN there is no license required currently that I know of. I know two of them personally here and neither of them has any kind of license to do the work they do. If you plan on working as a Bounty Hunter here armed though good luck in getting your conceal carry permit. To acquire a CCW in MN you need to be a resident of the State. In addition MN does not have a reciprical agreement with any other state regarding CCW permits.
    STEVEN KEARNEY
    Investigator
    Security Director
    Wisconsin - USA

No Detail Is Minor

Minnesota, Minnesota...I Remember It All Too Well!

Hello to all.
    I've been surfing the trainee level forums for a few hours and have learned a great deal. I live in IL and was a progressively responsible multi-state work comp adjuster for 17+ years. Although I absolutely love St Paul, MN, I absolutely hated doing MN work comp. And I was amongst the majority. So much so that companies paid EXTRA incentives to bring MN comp adjusters out of hiding.

One key reason for my position (part of the majority WC adjuster opinion) was the HEAVY paper intensive reporting and claims process' and lifetime open medical (after you closed and/or settled a case) and rules and more rules and more rules. The state also required that anyone offering work comp in that state HAD to send so many staff members to a predetermined number of regular "state certification sessions" each year. Many viewed these as "state revenue sessions". I went a couple of times and could only remark that the state takes comp as a very serious business with inflexible rules and regs. That was only from a comp perspective mind you as I know nothing else about that state's other practices. However, after reading the notes in this forum, it brought back some "interesting" memories.

If I've unduly frightened or offended anyone, I'm truly sorry as that was definitely not my intent. When it's all said and done, I guess it really boils down to what you're accustomed to and how determined you are to meet or exceed a desired career objective. I must admit that when it came to achieving excellence in MN comp, I took a back seat.

Just my thought. For what it's worth! May you overcome every obstacle and achieve endless success in this and all future endeavors...inside and/or outside of MN!

Steve, I hope that by the time you read this note, everything but everything has been on the rise for some time!
    MT

God's promises are like stars; the darker the night, the brighter they shine.

Re: MN PI Licensing

Originally posted by Steven M Kearney
    As of this writing (1-23-03) I have yet to come before "The Board." I am hoping it will happen before the end of this month.
    How did your board go?

Originally posted by Aaron Grecinger
    Is my assumption correct in that you could also interpret #4 as to mean that you could work as a bail enforcement agent also without a specific license since you are doing work to collect a debt?
    Yes. You are perfoming an employee task under a bail bondsman, not a private investigator.

MN Licensing

I know of an individual who is interested in becoming an investigative consultant, wants to skirt the whole MN process. I am a license PI in Minnesota, and see no way around going through the licensing. Can someone give me feeback on this? Do you know anyone who has advertised as this? This person believes that they can advertise as a consultant, (and an x-cop) and still do investigtive work, but put a different dress on it. Thanks for any comments.

JM
    JULIANNE L. MOSSAK
    License #842 - MN
    MPCA

Julianne,

First, welcome to the Private Investigators Forums.

Yes, the person you mentioned can be a consultant of any kind as long as he/she works investigations within the 7 exemptions listed above in the topic. Those exemptions were authored by the state lawmakers, of which the licensing board only enforces.

Some of the exemptions listed above are very broad, especially if the private investigator works for an attorney or a licensed security company.

There are other exempted areas that have come about since the statutes were written - such as working as an employee for any corporation for their lawful activities. Mystery Shopping is another area.

If the consultant charges for consulting, then no license is required. If the consultant has a brochure and collects money for an actual investigation - then that may be a violation, unless the brochure or payment goes to a licensed agency that he/she has an arrangement with. And the arrangement must be lawful. That said, he/she could consult and then recommend a licensed agency for a commision of the referral.

A PI agency may have 100 employees, including secretaries, receptionists, and sales people. But in the end, the agency conducting a regulated activity (as defined by the statutes) must be licensed.

Our Mission Statement sustains all licensing authorities as well as all companies that are not required to have a license. There are more lawful private investigators in the country that are not licensed than are licensed. That is not to say they are "skirting" the law. They are simply operating within the statutes.

Ex-cops may also have special privileges. In some states, a retired law enforcement officer is even a photo ID card for life, and is good as a concealed weapon permit. PI Licensing for ex-cops in some states are a freebie, while other states may require fewer requirements.

Working as a licensed private investigator in a regulated state is the best to pursue, even if not legally required for some assignments. But licensing costs money, and so does the insurance. The person you are speaking about may be lacking money rather than desire. But then again, some "cops" have a cop attitude where they will not be lectured to.

I suggest you wait and see what this person comes up with as far as a business card and brochure before making a conclusion. But be respectful.
    Ann Ryan
    Director - Board of Ethics

International Private Investigators Union

Question Consulting vs. licensing

Thanks for that input. That help to put it into perspective, a bit. I don't believe that this person is going to advertise as they plan on only working for other licensed P.I.'s. I think that their buisness cards will only say consultant, and being an ex-cop, maybe it'll fly. I found it interesting, but it seems like it's a way to skirt the licensing too, possibly due to funds, but I think you are right. It's the "no one's going to regulate me" attitude.

JM
    MN Licensed P.I., C.F.E.
    JULIANNE L. MOSSAK
    License #842 - MN
    MPCA

Russell Hons Guest

Incorrect Information

I find it quite interesting that the exemptions for NORTH DAKOTA under N.D.C.C. 43-30-02 are listed here as the exemptions for MN. Readers may want to review the MN statutes. They are similar, but worded differently, and have some different exemptions. READ:Sections 326.32 to 326.339 do not apply to:

Oh my goodness.. I printed out all the information from the MN on the fees and training you have to have in MN. Wow with what it will cost I will never make any money just pay and pay.

I guess what I was wondering is this being only a training person could I go under Private detective ( Reissuance?)
    or will I be going under someone elses license?

this is a lot to take in all at once.

Also do I have to have what the 6000 hours too?

Mn is a hard state( he he}

licensing

Yes, you would need the 6000 hours. This can also be from another state or previous experience. It is tough. Now WI, you only need to take the test and pay the fees which are very low.

Julianne Mossak
    JULIANNE L. MOSSAK
    License #842 - MN
    MPCA

licensing

you would need to go under another investigator's license. What area are you from? What kind of experience do you have? Ot training?
    JULIANNE L. MOSSAK
    License #842 - MN
    MPCA

Hi Julianne. well I live by Lake superior, MN. and very close to Superior WI. I am not to happy that Mn charges $1000 for this I am only a training and more than likely will not go past this right away. But this is sure something to think about first.

licensing

Get your Wisconsin license, and as long as your case starts in WI, you can do investigations in MN. You can get your 3000 hours under this license, and then transfer to a MN license.
    JULIANNE L. MOSSAK
    License #842 - MN
    MPCA

Hi Julianne. Thank You for all your help. I see you have a license from MN. may I ask how you went about getting this? Did you go to WI first then MN? If i do go to WI and then transfer to MN. I wonder if I will pay the same of $1000.00 or less?

Well either way I go its sure a lot of money not that I can't afford it I just think for only being a training person it should not cost so much and I am not going into anything that would be dangerous at all.

Oh well MN is and has been nothing but HIGH.

Thank you again have a great day

licensing

When you say training person, what are you referring to? Are you referring to a person in training, or a person training investigators?

No, I have only had a license in Minnesota. I was employed by the Attorney General's Office in investigations for 5 yrs. that is how I acquired my hours. Even though I had 32000 behind me working for a research company, the Board would not count those hours, so I went to the AG's Office for my hours.

The fee is the same every two years, no exceptions. This is their way of keeping their numbers down, I guess. Yes, I agree that they are very high. Good Luck to you.
    JULIANNE L. MOSSAK
    License #842 - MN
    MPCA

I have a question on the minnesota license I am currently working in Surveillance and I am taking private investigation courses. I have worked in Surveillance for close to 8 years now and I wonder if the board will look at that as part of the hours of training towards a license. I was also wondering I kinda live in the middle of no where and I was wondering how to go about getting the hours in for my License
    Thank You
    Kevin W Dorman

Kevin

Surveillance is a part of the investigation process. If you have been doing surveillance for 6 yrs., the company you work for should have been documenting your hours for your sponsorship of your license. You may be asked to provide other documents showing your investigative experience. I know in Pennsylvania, you have to be sponsered for 3 yrs. and have two other verifiable forms of employment or association to get eligable for your license. It is a good thing that IPIU, will be able to provide me with association sponsorship and since i have a degree in criminal justice, I may use that for my last form of verifiable experience.

As you know already have been in surveillance, the company or agency you work for allows you to work under their license, to provide investigative services to your clients.

I hope this helps you out in some way, as a professional in the field, your services should be well above the sandards needed to obtain a license.
    Maurice Hopkins

Badge # 6975

licensing

Who are you doing surveillance for? If you are doing it for a licensed investigator, government agency, or law firm, then, yes, those hours can count towards your 6000. If you are doing it on your own, and have your own clients, you are providing surveillance services without a license, and that is not considered legal, by any means. What is your background, and what area do you live?

J.L Mossak
    license 842
    JULIANNE L. MOSSAK
    License #842 - MN
    MPCA

Julianne

Who are you doing surveillance for? If you are doing it for a licensed investigator, government agency, or law firm, then, yes, those hours can count towards your 6000. If you are doing it on your own, and have your own clients, you are providing surveillance services without a license, and that is not considered legal, by any means. What is your background, and what area do you live?
    I take it since I posted the last response you were speaking to me, if so I think you need to reread my post before you make that type of response.
    Maurice Hopkins

Badge # 6975

licensing

Maurice,

I apologize, I believe my response would have been for Kevin, and not yourself, or whomever said they were doing surveillance. It sounds like you are already licensed for this occupation. I was responding to the person doing surveillance, as you were.
    JULIANNE L. MOSSAK
    License #842 - MN
    MPCA

Julianne

Not a problem at all!
    Maurice Hopkins

Badge # 6975

Hello
    Thank you 2 for the information I am sorry If I was at fault for the confussion. Julie I am currently working Surveillance at a casino in Upper Minnesota near about an hour east of Fargo North Dakota.
    Thanks again
    Kevin W Dorman

licensing

Kevin:

This may be accountable towards your 6000 hours. I know people who have I think may have gotten credit under these types of circumstances, though it was a number of years ago. I would contact the Board of Detectives, and check with them. It surely can't hurt. Sometimes it depends on the reservation, and their enforcement critia. I don't know a lot about that area, but I would surely check it out, as you are serving as part of their enforcement team in your job.

Julianne
    JULIANNE L. MOSSAK
    License #842 - MN
    MPCA

Hi Kevin. If you want to know anything about MN laws why not go on the web sight and I know answers to your questions are there. I did because I am from Mn myself and found out all that I needed for any questions I may have. it has helped me

Also just reading some of the other posts here.
    when I said training I guess I met I am in training here so when I go out into the big MN I would be under another person and still be in training right? well I am thinking on going to WI first and get what I need and then see about comming over to MN. But at the same time I wounder if it would make a difference I am surew MN will still want there Big money. But its ok I don't thinkI will ever get past here just being able to post I have waited for some time now for the rest of my papers and I am hoping maybe next year I will have them so I can take the test next year does look good

take care all

Chadwik Schaefer Guest

Arrow General Question...

I was just wondering if i have a state issued certificate from the security Co. that i worked for 2 years ago and have woked for other companies after that. Am i suppose to get renewed? and is there a way to get certified without being a part of an agency. I have worked for numerous security agenies in MN.
    And my oher question is that if i wanted to get a PI license to work for already established companies is that possible? Cuz i dont want to pay all that money to get a job with another company.

Hi Chad,

You can apply for your own individual license and work for yourself. There is separate licensing for Protective Agent and Private Detective, though the Private Detective also would cover the protective agent as long as you are up to snuff on the required training that they request. I don't know that you would get hired per say into another PI agency, but thee is a lot of subcontracting that goes on between Investigators. Hope this helps.

Julianne Mossak
    license 842
    JULIANNE L. MOSSAK
    License #842 - MN
    MPCA

Thanks alot for this information. Now I know how to proceed in this state!

I was wondering what ,you need to do in order to work as a bail enforcement agent in Minnesota.

Bail Bond Agent

You need to be Licensed with the Dept. of Commerce, and aslo registered with the individual County Courthouses through a Surety Company that is covering you. This is the way it usually works. You will first need to get a license with Commerce, and then get hooked up with a Surety Company for your coverage of the amount of bonds you want to write. Good Luck.

How would you go about getting a job as a bail enforcement officer in Minnesota do you need a special license.

Cool MN laws and the expense

To All,
    As a Minnesota resident all of this information is mind-boggling! I did pay the $25 for the application kit from the state then got discouraged. I didn't get into this to hide in the bushes and take pictures of cheating spouses. I just want to find my own daughter and keep my family safe. If I can help others then fine and it’s funny what happens when people find out I can get information. I just keep telling them, “It’s all public information..”
    I guess I'm looking to be a case examiner as opposed to the Licensed Private Investigator in the great state of MN. I think I can do what I need to under my IPIU badge right? Well, maybe. To get the really good on-line search companies I need to be "licensed" as they did not recognize IPIU. Disappointing to say the least.
    I wonder if anyone can give me advice/direction regarding creditable on-line information to gather information on missing or “hard to find persons” that will accept the IPIU credentials. I especially need information on a person possibly hiding in the state of Louisiana.
    Thanks to all
    Theresa Sayers

Thank you Theresa for the information that in the state of Minnesota we have to be licensed to find missing persons. But yet, you have to have so many hours working in this field under an attorney or related profession in order to get license! So, you have to market for these professionals to hire you. Unless they are new to the workforce and don't have anyone locating people. Maybe it is smart to see the requirements to become a case examiner. Call or go down to cityhall to the licensing dept and they will tell you what you need to know. I have just called down there and I am going there shortly. Stay encouraged and move forward!
    Patrice-Maria

Thank you Theresa and Patrice-Maria for your posts. Sometimes it's a little disheartening to run into the roadblocks in Minnesota, but I understand the need for the requirements also.

Hopefully we can all be helping each other out down the road. Good luck with your quest today, Patrice-Maria. Hope all goes well for you!

Pam

Thank you for this very informative Info. I now do not have to go and search out this info. This is also in a form I can understad. Again Thank You very much

A. Mahowald

Ann Marie

Thank you so very much for this info on Licensing for P.I. in MN. Now I will not have to go research this info and that will save me a major headache. Again Thank You so very much.

A. Mahowald

License Requirements for MN

I have to say that after reading this thread, I have gained a lot of information that would help me in my quest to become a full blown Private Detective/Investigator in the State of MN.

Thanks for the info....
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven M Kearney
    License requirements for MN are very specific and the process is lengthy. I'll give a brief in this response but if you want all the specific details you should visit the MN Department Of Public Safety web site. The Private Detectives and Protective Agents Services Board is a branch of the MN DPS.

To begin with there are two types of licenses issued by "The Board." Those are "Private Detective License" which gives you the authority to practice as a Private Detective or Protective Agent or both.

The second license is strictly a "Protective Agent" license. This license allows you authority to advertise and practice only as a security provider and not an investigator. The application/license fee for a first time Protective Agent license is less as well. The first time fee for a sole proprietor Private Detective License application review is $1000.00 and I believe for just a Protective License is $800.00. If after the Board reviews your initial application they elect to deny your request for license they will refund only $500.00 / $400.00 of the fee respectively. If your interest lies in possessing a larger than sole proprietor agency then intitial fees increase according to the number of employees that you intend to have.

As for the required experience base to qualify for the Private Detective License...6000 (not 600) hours of documentable employment as an investigator are required. If not as an investigator then in a field "The Board" will consider equal in scope and duty to being an investigator. Claimed experience as an actual investigator needs to be attained through working for a law enforcement agency, local, state, or federal, or through a licensed agency.

As for the required experience base to qualify for the Protective Agent license...6000 hours of documentable employment as a supervisory or management level security professional are required to qualify.

Something you may want to keep in mind when considering your experience for application is this...when they state documentable they really, really mean it. The license application package that "The Board" sends you ($25.00 just for the package) includes release of information forms that require your previous employers to detail the scope and nature of the work you performed for them which you are claiming as part of your 6000 qualifying hours. You will need to have one of these forms filled out by every employer you use for this purpose. Plus each of these experience forms will need to be notarized.

In addition to the documentation of experience for either or both licenses the application package will provide you with forms to get personal recommendations from a minimum of 5 people who have known you for a minimum of 5 years attesting to the fact that you are a trustworthy and decent person. These forms also must be notarized.

A few other things play into the requirements for being a licensed P.I. in MN as well. For openers is the education requirements. You will be required to complete a "Board" certified 12 hour Private Investigator Pre-assignment course before you can apply. Also you will need to complete a "Board" certified 12 hour Protective Agent Pre-assignment course as well. If you are applying only for the Protective Agent license you will not need the P.I. pre-assingment course. "The Board" has a list of certified trainers for these courses on thier web site.

If you intend to carry a fire arm in your work you will also need to have a 12 hour Board certified course on carrying a concealed weapon. And the training requirements in such a course are very specific and include CPR/1st aid and firing range qualification to include low light and in the dark firing on the range. If you intend to carry or use other tools (weapons) in your work certified training for each tool is required prior to using that tool. Some of those tools include...pepper spray...handcuffs...baton...or physical restraints such as carotid neck hold. A list of these trainers is also provided on "The Boards" web site. In addition to the basic pre-assignment certified training there are annual 6 hour continuuing education requirements as well. This is true even if you are just working for another licensed agency either in the capacity as an investigator or a protective agent.

When submitting the application you will be required to have already acquired a MN Business license under the name your agency will have which will cost you about $50.00 plus another $36.00 to post your business assumed name in a local legal ledger. If you plan on employing people other than yourself or your immediate family members (defining a sole proprietorship type of business) you will be required to attain workers compensation insurance prior to submitting your application.

Also part of the package is documentation for proving financial responsibility. Piece one is a $10,000.00 surety bond taken out in naming The Private Detective and Protective Agent Services Board as the entity being protected by the bond. Keep in mind that these figures apply to a license that is for a sole propietorship based agency. Corporations or agencies with more than you as employees increase the levels of financial responsibility required. The other part of financial responsibility can be achieved in one of three ways...a letter of deposit from your bank that states you have $10,000.00 plus in funds deposited that are locked up...a letter of proven assets from a C.P.A. or a liability insurance policy for your agency. Whatever method of proof you choose it has to be established and documented prior to the application being submitted. All of the attorneys that I visited with regarding the best method of proving financial responsibility suggested the liability insurance method. And that is the method I used for my application.

Be prepared to search a bit for the liability insurance. There are not many underwriters that are willing to cover Private Detectives and Protective Agents. I secured a policy with a $1,000,000.00 per occurance coverage with a $2,000,000.00 umbrella. The policy cost me $1,356.00 for one year and the underwriter required the whole amount up front prior to issuing the binder which is what "The Board" requires with the submission of your application. It took my insurance agent the better part of 2 months to find the right insurance tool for me. And when shopping be sure that the underwriter specifies in the binder coverage for "ommissions" and "fire arms."

Speaking of fire arms...in the State of MN a permit to carry is issued by the local Police Chief or County Sheriff respectively. The fire arms training that will qualify for getting a MN conceal carry permit does not necessarily qualify for the requirements for the license you are after. i.e. The NRA training qualifies for a private citizen to acquire a conceal carry permit but does not qualify for carrying on the job as a security officer or private detective.

Another word to the wise...I began my quest to submit my application for a P.I. license here in MN well over a year ago. I finally got the entire application package put together and submitted on Sept. 3, 2002. Once you submit be prepared to wait. There are only two fulltime people working in "The Boards" office to accomplish the initial application review and they recieve many applications each year. Pay very close attention to even the most minor detail in your application forms, documents, and the instructions they send you with the application package. One little ommission or mistake will result in that item in the package being sent back to you for correction. Any returns for correction will result in review of your application coming to a stop until you address the issue they have sent back to you.

Some simple advise if you are applying...do not assume that your insurance agent has checked over everything and done thier job. I had two returns on my documentation and both returns were insurance related. On my surety bond they (the agent) had failed to have one page notarized. On my liability policy the underwriter had "The Boards" address wrong and had also created a typo in the coverage dates. They listed the policy experation date as a month after it started instead of a year later. i.e. 9-1-2002 to 10-1-2002 instead of 10-1-2003. So before you submit...when you think you finally have it all put together...read it all again...and then re-read it all again. It will be to your benefit if you do.

Last but not least...be prepared to do an investigation on yourself as the primary part of this application process. "The Board" wants to know it all about you and your past. They want to know every job (not just the ones that you are claiming qualifying experience for) you have ever held and the dates. They want to know every address you have lived at and the dates. You will be required to provide a "durable and current photo" of yourself. A digital will not work. It is not durable enough. I used a passport photo after they sent back my first photo. And they will require a set of fingerprints up front as well.

As of this writing (1-23-03) I have yet to come before "The Board." I am hoping it will happen before the end of this month. If you are planning to undertake this application process I wish you the best of luck. Be honest...be dedicated...be dilligent...and most of all be patient.

Oh...as for practicing as a Bond Recovery Agent (Bounty Hunter) in MN there is no license required currently that I know of. I know two of them personally here and neither of them has any kind of license to do the work they do. If you plan on working as a Bounty Hunter here armed though good luck in getting your conceal carry permit. To acquire a CCW in MN you need to be a resident of the State. In addition MN does not have a reciprical agreement with any other state regarding CCW permits.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast