Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: PI LICENSING: Minnesota

I have a question? I am new at this but I was wondering if a person is interested in working as a trainee in one of the above agencies such as #1, 2, or 3 is there a certain way to go about doing this or do we contact an agency to see if they hire trainees? Thank you for your help.

background checks etc.

I am interested in studying background checks and finding missing children...would I need to be licensed to do these things on my own or with an agency that would possibly hire me once I have learned the method? I am not sure if these were listed on the top..Thank you!

Reply to Inquiry for Children Locates and background checks

Have you checked with the Board of Detectived and Protective Agents? Yes, you need a license to do this type of work. You would need to hook up with an agency that would hire you after you have had the training and show some type of certification in this type of training, would help.
    Julianne Mossak, PI

Thank you Julianne...I will check on these things...I have one more question though. If I buy the software and the things I need to teach myself from our catalog would I get a certificate for that or will the self taught lessons be enough to be hired on?

Bakground Investigation Training

I don't do this type of hiring in an agency, as I am an independent with no employees at the present time. However, I think that you would need more investigation skills than just that certification through whomever. It would be best to go through a college like Metro State for some of that education, and use this type of thing as a supplement. If you are serious, check out their law enforement training brochure of classes. They are well worth the study, and you'll need this for your background investigation work anyway. It will look better on your resume too.

Thank you for getting back with me..I will definetly look into this..

Minnesota question regarding PI License

There is a lawyer who sometimes needs information on the litigator. Is a PI License necessary if I'm only providing informaiton that is available publicly?

Thanks!

Donna Reagan is offline Administrator
    Private Investigators Forum

Licensed Private Investigator
    DHS Certified
    Quote Originally Posted by Donna Ploof
    There is a lawyer who sometimes needs information on the litigator. Is a PI License necessary if I'm only providing informaiton that is available publicly?

Thanks!
    Donna, if the lawyer hires you to acquire information for his/her case, you do not need a PI License because the lawyer is already licensed by the state as an officer of the court.

Read Post #1 in this topic for the exemptions.

John G - is offline Retired Forum Moderator

Private Investigators Forums
    Sponsored by the International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)
    Jullianne Mossak, if you still check this thread out, what is the best way to break out in minnesota and work for a licensed investigator? I'd prefer to work at a respectable law firm for civil case litigation cases, but would be willing to work other areas of PI work, as long as I can steer clear of anything that would be messy e.g. family issues or criminal. Unless the training is such that I could avoid confrontational situations. I have no intention of carrying firearms or defensive equipment. I will be with a camera, briefcase, and when I can afford it, a laptop. Just some fun research investigations, and not anything that could cause a violent confrontation experience. Any ideas on who I could hook up with to apprentice under? I'm at IPIU Level 4, and have an agency set up under Colorado Statutes and law, and I would be willing to comply with the exemptions part of the statute. Pay is negotiable-My monthly target is about 500 dollars a month to start. Hours don't matter, as long as I can get to my church, my group, and the VAMC when I need to. Thanks for reading, for your time and attention to this matter.

Johnny

Hello Ann,
    Did I read Mystery Shopping can be used as another exemption in obtaining the hours for MN license? This would be great if I can use these hours!

Mark Buda - is offline Licensed Private Investigator

Member of the Private Investigators Forum
    Quote Originally Posted by Donna Reagan
    Donna, if the lawyer hires you to acquire information for his/her case, you do not need a PI License because the lawyer is already licensed by the state as an officer of the court.
    Correct me if I am wrong, but it says if you are employed by the law firm.

I take that to mean you are an employee, but a contracted worker.

mark

Robert Munson is offline **

Moderator (On Leave of Absence)
    Distinguished Member - Private Investigators Forum

Employed

You can be employed without being an employee. You would sign a contract for the work you are to perform on the lawyers behalf, which I interpet as working for the lawyer.

and the dictionary says...

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Munson
    You can be employed without being an employee. You would sign a contract for the work you are to perform on the lawyers behalf, which I interpet as working for the lawyer.
    Working for is not the same as being emplyed by. You describe contracting.

They regulations say employed by. An employee is one who has been hired and works for the employer and has that relationship.

Read what the dictionary says... Also notice that the regs talk about employee / employed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Employed

"Employment is a contract between two parties, one being the employer and the other being the employee. In a commercial setting, the employer conceives of a productive activity, generally with the intention of creating profits, and the employee contributes labour to the enterprise, usually in return for payment of wages."
    mark

Smile Employment

Mark, Thanks for the clarification! Have A Blessed Day!

W-2

Hello Robert,

The best way to tell if someone is an employee or not is if a W-2 is involved.

If a W-2 is NOT involved. A 1099 is commonly used for independent contractors or non-employees.

If a W-2 is involved, then you are an employee of the employeer.

Review the IRS document http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p1779.pdf#search='What%20is%20a%20W2%20IRS' to make sure you do not cause yourself to end up in jail for doing PI work without a license.

I hope this helps you.

Take care,

mark

Robert, you are correct in most cases. There are leased employees, there are temp employees through a temp agency, there are contract workers who are employed, and there is the standard known as what Mark stated - Employee-Employer relationsship, which is typically a wage earner on a w-2 tax form.

Sadly, most licensing bureaus ask for the latter item that Mark refers to when working for a law firm. But that does not mean you cannot be employed as a wage earner for a week or so under his/her attorney license.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Buda
    Correct me if I am wrong, but it says if you are employed by the law firm.

I take that to mean you are an employee, but a contracted worker.

mark
    If you mean "not a contracted worker" (typo?), that is correct. Lawyers can freely hire anyone as an employee for as little or as much hourly or salary work as they want.

Re: PI LICENSING: Minnesota

was curious in to get your opinion on something would like to also try working as a bail enforcement agent while training as a private investigator.I have heard this is a very select and cutthroat business and they do not help or assist others in training or getting into it. Do you have any advice or contacts that might6 be able to help me into this field while I am training for investigation

Cool Re: PI LICENSING: Minnesota

Greetings Todd,

Having some experience in this field (Fugitive Recovery) in the State of MN...I can tell you this...if you are planning to work in the Twin Cities Metro area your best first move might be to go and introduce yourself to as many bail bond agents as you can find. Put together a business card and go cold calling. Sell yourself to them. They may say that they have all the recovery agents that they need. Even if they do so, try to pick their brains a little about what they pay...who they use as recovery agents...learn as much as you can while visiting with them. If they are paying say 10% of the bond for recoveries ask them if they would be willing to help you get experience if you were to work for a lesser rate to start with. Ask if they might be willing to refer you to the people they currently use so that you can approach those people to see if they would be willing to "hire" you as a helper agent so that you can gain experience.

In MN (as you probably already know) you do not need to be licensed to do fugitive recovery work. Nor are you required to hold a surety bond or liability insurance like you are required to have if you are a licensed Private Detective or licensed Protective Agent. Regardless of whether or not you are required to have insurance I highly recommed you get it before you delve into this industry. Being charged with "false arrest", assault, or battery, false imprisonment, etc. is no laughing matter when you take down the wrong person thinking they are the fugitive you have been hired to recover. Being wrong can cost you everything you own...literally...if you are uninsured.

Also...you are correct in assuming that it (FR) is a closely guarded trade and cut throat in nature in the great State of MN. And here is why...say there is a "bad guy" that you have been hired to recover in St. Paul. The guys' bond is a lousy $5000.00 and the bond holder is paying 10% to recover the guy. Maybe he's an easy one and maybe not. Could be that his girl is hiding him somewhere on Lake St. in Mpls but knowbody knows who his girl is or what her address is. So you spend how much time waiting and watching lake street hoping you spot the dirt bag...to make $500.00 before you pay taxes and expenses on the income. Just food for thought...how bad do you really want to get into this line of work?

If in fact you are getting into the recovery business because you want something exciting to do as a source of income you might try this instead...go to work for one of the protective agencies that handle the tougher nieghborhoods in the cities...like Wolf...who handles a lot of public housing. You'll get the action you are looking for and make your $500 a week without the legal risk to yourself.

I wish you all the best in your endeavors...whatever you may choose to pursue. Above all else please be careful...be smart...and study the laws governing whatever you decide to do. You really can lose it all with one bad decision and you can even end up in jail yourself.

"Every Problem Is An Opportunity To Discover"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2