Thread: Need Help with Licensing Question

Need Help with Licensing Question

Hello everyone! I have a question...I live in Nebraska, and the Secretary of State had emailed me an answer to a question I had. They told me that in order to be a PI in this state, I need 3000 on the job hours experience in working in the PI field. They said I had to first be a "plain clothes" investigator. Now, my question is...since I am doing the training with IPIU, don't I get a license when I am done?? If so, what is the license for? Also, will the license help me get a job here in this state doing PI work? I guess I am confused. I mean, I guess I want to know what I get to do job wise after my IPIU training since I can't be licensed here until after I have the 3000 hours? Thanks, Charlotte

Lisa Frye - is offline Certified SPI
    Licensed Private Investigator

Moderator (On Leave of Absence)
    Sr. Distinguished Union Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlotte Brooks
    Now, my question is...since I am doing the training with IPIU, don't I get a license when I am done??
    No, IPIU does not provide you with a license. Once you reach level 4 you will be able to do assignments to help you gain the experience you need. It may count towards your 3000 hours but i'm not positively sure. You can contact IPIU directly or email legal@ipiu.org.

I guess I am confused. I mean, I guess I want to know what I get to do job wise after my IPIU training since I can't be licensed here until after I have the 3000 hours? Thanks, Charlotte
    There are assignment in level 4 that you will be able to participate in to help you gain experience. You do not need a license to perform these assignments.

I hope this has helped you somewhat. I would really suggest that you take some time and read through the various forums. There is a lot of great info here that will help you better understand.

Best of Luck,

Lisa

3000 Hours seems like a lot but like anything else worth the effort and accepting the challenge, ya gotta go for it ! ! !
    In Texas I believe it is not hours , but 3 years working for a licensed agency before one can apply to open their own shop.
    Keep charging.

Licensing Information

I found licensing information for many states at his link:

http://www.tracersinfo.com/links/pi_licensing.html

It also has direct links to each states government site with lots of information.

I am curious to know what types of prior convictions would prohibit an individual from obtaining a P.I. license in California.

John G - is offline Retired Forum Moderator

Private Investigators Forums
    Sponsored by the International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)
    Trina, Please click on this link.

www.dca.ca.gov/bsis/pi.htm

Then you can navigate around and find the information you're seeking.

Thanks.
    Johnny