Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: FORGED EMAILS: Microsoft, PayPay, Yahoo, Ebay, IPIU, & Others

As recent as last week, I received another Paypal email concerning the updating of my personal account information. I had contacted Paypal a couple months of ago and they advised not to answer any email without contacting them first.

Dan Mayer

Thank you very much for this useful warning on email 0000.

UPDATE for fraudulent emails: 9-26-2005
    "MonkeyMan395" Hoax purports to be wanted for murder:

Go here for truth:
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Monkeyman935

Thanks for that information. I once worked for USBank and any withdraws that were not authorized by you went to the fraud Department. They then tracked down the withdraws, and once it was found in your favor all the money and any overdrafts that it caused were all refunded as a bank error. Most banks will not hold you responsible.

Thumbs up Fraud e-mail.....

I received an e-mail yesterday pertaining to my credit card account on amazon.com. I'm so very happy I did NOT update my credit card info. like they wanted me too. I e-mailed them back and told them I would not give out my credit card info. online.....I told them to call me, but they didn't...lol! I still have the e-mail. Does anyone know who I may contact about this fraud? Thanks for the heads up.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa Holmes
    I received an e-mail yesterday pertaining to my credit card account on amazon.com. I'm so very happy I did NOT update my credit card info. like they wanted me too. I e-mailed them back and told them I would not give out my credit card info. online.....I told them to call me, but they didn't...lol! I still have the e-mail. Does anyone know who I may contact about this fraud? Thanks for the heads up.
    Hi Lisa
    Did you save the e-mail? If you did, contact the co. that carries the credit card and they can have you e-mail them the e-mail that you reveived. This way they can tract down who is sending these out. This is how we did it at the bank. Good Luck !!

Thumbs up I saved all of them.....

Hello Cindy and thanks for responding. Yes, I saved all 3 of them. I will contact my credit company in the morning since they are probably not open at this time of night. Thanks for the help. Take care.

Quote Originally Posted by Cindy Mekeel
    Hi Lisa
    Did you save the e-mail? If you did, contact the co. that carries the credit card and they can have you e-mail them the e-mail that you reveived. This way they can tract down who is sending these out. This is how we did it at the bank. Good Luck !!

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa Holmes
    Hello Cindy and thanks for responding. Yes, I saved all 3 of them. I will contact my credit company in the morning since they are probably not open at this time of night. Thanks for the help. Take care.
    Lisa;
    Time is of the essence, and the fraud departments are open 24/7.

Thumbs up Fraud E-mails.....

Thank you Fred for the info. and I have called my credit card company fraud dept., and Amazon.com. Amazon stated the e-mails were not from their company and will begin their investigation, and I'm waiting on the person from the fraud dept. of my credit card company to return my call. Thanks to everyone for their info.

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Budde
    Lisa;
    Time is of the essence, and the fraud departments are open 24/7.

Michael Harris is offline Lifetime Professional Management Member

Distinguished Insignio Colleague of:
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)
    Lisa,

Some companies (e.g., PayPal) have email addresses for 'spoof' emails. For the major companies, (e.g., PayPal, eBay, Wamu, Wachovia) check to see if they have such an address.

I forward these phishing emails to them; they think they can locate some of the perpetrators.
    Michael E. Harris

Badge #6718

Thumbs up Fraud, Forged e-mails......

Michael,

Thank you for the info. about the spoof e-mail addresses, and I did send them all to amazon's spoof e-mail address, and they are investigating them. Much thanks to all......I came close to doing a stupid thing, I almost let my guard down by updating my info. Even police 00000 up....

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Harris
    Lisa,

Some companies (e.g., PayPal) have email addresses for 'spoof' emails. For the major companies, (e.g., PayPal, eBay, Wamu, Wachovia) check to see if they have such an address.

I forward these phishing emails to them; they think they can locate some of the perpetrators.

Lisa,

Have you taken a close look as some of those emails? They are absolutely wonderful.

You need to look at the email address carefully; you should be able to tell the fake ones after you check out a few.

Most of the ones I get are from places where I do not have an account.

Thumbs up

Michael,

What threw me for a loop was that all 3 was from Amazon.com, a site I have ordered tons of DVDs.

Lisa,

Have you taken a close look as some of those emails? They are absolutely wonderful.

You need to look at the email address carefully; you should be able to tell the fake ones after you check out a few.

Most of the ones I get are from places where I do not have an account.

Even the headers on those "phishing" e-mails can be misleading. I am currently being bombarded by warnings from PayPal and EBay. All communication goes to spoof@(Ebay or PayPal). To date, out of close to 40 e-mails, none has been from the stated provider!

Martin Betancourt- is offline Private Investigator Forum Member

Member of International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)
    Thanks everyone for this valuable information, I am going to teke care on my Paypal Account, I have not surprises yet.
    Make it and happen!

To All:

My daughter has a small eBay business and requires payment through PayPal. During the past week, she received an email allegedly from PayPal.

Since she knew that the message had bad information, she was going to just delete it. I looked at it carefully - the link to the website was the correct PayPal address. I right-clicked on the hyperlink and then clicked on Properties - aha, the real address did not match PayPal.

The phishing emails are getting better; the hyperlink has a good address, but the real link is to the bad guys.

Thumbs up

To All:

My daughter has a small eBay business and requires payment through PayPal. During the past week, she received an email allegedly from PayPal.

Since she knew that the message had bad information, she was going to just delete it. I looked at it carefully - the link to the website was the correct PayPal address. I right-clicked on the hyperlink and then clicked on Properties - aha, the real address did not match PayPal.

The phishing emails are getting better; the hyperlink has a good address, but the real link is to the bad guys.
    Good catch, Michael. I'm getting 3-4 "messages" per day from PayPal. All get forwarded tp Spoof@PayPal.com. To date, every one has come back as "not sent by PayPal".

Good catch, Michael. I'm getting 3-4 "messages" per day from PayPal. All get forwarded tp Spoof@PayPal.com. To date, every one has come back as "not sent by PayPal".
    Dr. Budde,

PayPal seems to have the best response to the phishing. I hope that the members of the IPIU forum caught the message - the bad guys are getting smarter and more sophisticated all the tiem.

Thumbs up

Dr. Budde,

PayPal seems to have the best response to the phishing. I hope that the members of the IPIU forum caught the message - the bad guys are getting smarter and more sophisticated all the tiem.
    Amen to that!
    Please drop the "Dr.", that's only for clients , not for my IPIU friends.

Thumbs up

Talk about timing! I just got the latest issue of CSO magazine, and the cover story is: "How to Foil a Phish". Great article, try and pick up a copy.

Thumbs up

Talk about timing! I just got the latest issue of CSO magazine, and the cover story is: "How to Foil a Phish". Great article, try and pick up a copy.
    I found the same information on the web; this should be required reading for anyone interested in security.
    http://www.csoonline.com/read/100105/index.html

Jason Hofmann is offline *
    Private Investigator Forum Member

Member of International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)
    I just recieved what is called SPOOF mail from PayPal. It came addressed as service@paypal.com and looked official. In the e-mail I was told that a new address was added to my account and I needed to go to the link on the page to verify if correct or not. The link was paypal.com/us/wf/f=ap email. That link puts you on what looks like a PayPal sign on page. The only difference was this page does not let you continue to your account unless you put your credit card information and address in the spaces provided. If you try to back out of the page it keeps promptong you to give the info. You have to right click and close the page from your tool bar at the bottom. I did not give any info and contacted PayPal. That is when I learned about SPOOF e-mail. I was just glad I opened the e-mail before my wife. I hope this info will help someone else who has questions about SPOOF or fake emails. Just remember to always close your browser and type in the link you want yourself. This is the only way to be sure you are not being 0000000.
    Jason Hofmann
    Badge#9090

Good catch, Jason! In the future, don't click on any links in a "suspect" e-mail. EBay, PayPal, etc. will always direct you to open a new browser window.

Jason,

Fred s right - no NOT click on any suspect link. That is - do not left-click the link, that will open it. Do a right-click and check the Properties. This is safe and very revealing.

Ashley Mayne-- is offline Licensed Private Investigator

Distinguished Member:
    Private Investigators Forums
    I get these all the time. I don't even open them. There are plenty of scumbags out there. Be carefull everyone.

ASHLEY MAYNE
    Licensed Private Investigator (Vic.AU)
    Victoria, Australia

John G - is offline Retired Forum Moderator

Sponsored by the International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)

FlagStar Bank phish

Some bank called FlagStar Bank in Michigan sent an email to my business email account claiming that "my profile was locked due to excessive login attempts" and requested me to log in and update my profile. I deleted the email, since I don't have accounts in Michigan, business or otherwise. This phish was nicely designed, except the subject line was, "Flagstart Bank (Message from Customer Service). Yes, the subject line was one key that alerted me. That, and that my business accounts are with a reliable bank which doesn't send me emails unless I invite them too. I usually don't. Another key: The email was dated four days ago and only showed up in my server a few minutes ago.

If I get another one of these, I'd love to forward it to the FBI, but I don't remember the email forwarding address for them. Thank you for reading.

Johnny

Johnny,

I have also noticed the improved quality of the phish images and the use of links that look real. The bad guys are getting smarter.

I have not bothered to look at the date/time stamp to see when the message was sent. I will look for it the next phish emails.

Yea! two more phish emails received in my account. This time I have captured them and put them in a separate storage folder without responding to them. One was FlagStar, and the other one was...Bank of America. These (expletive) are getting way good, but there are obvious flaws in the email. Anyway, Would anybody have the email addy for the FBI for forwarding these emails? It would be so very much appreciated. Thanks.

Johnny

Johnny/Michael;
    If I'm not mistaken (and that's never a sure thing), CERT would be the contact point for these phishing attempts.

Johnny/Michael;
    If I'm not mistaken (and that's never a sure thing), CERT would be the contact point for these phishing attempts.
    Is that their email address? CERT@fbi.gov?

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Ginsberg
    Is that their email address? CERT@fbi.gov?
    Nope. I'll look it up and get back to you. Good morning, by the way

US-CERT is collecting phishing email messages and web site locations so that we can help people avoid becoming victims of phishing 00000.

You can report phishing to us by sending email to phishing-report@us-cert.gov.

Forward the message, including the headers.

You can forward a message without double clicking to open it in a new window. Highlight the email in the message list of your inbox and follow the directions for your particular mail client:
    In Netscape/Mozilla/Thunderbird Mail

Select View > Headers > All
    Select Message > Forward As > Inline
    Address the forwarded message to phishing-report@us-cert.gov

In Outlook Express
    Forward the message As an attachment.

In Mulberry
    Select Message > Forward. Select the option Include Headers in quote. Click the Forward button.
    If you are using an alternative to these email clients, please consult your documentation for instructions on how to forward messages with headers.

Other methods of reporting phishing email
    In Outlook Express, you can create a new message and drag and drop the phishing email into the new message. Address the message to phishing-report@us-cert.gov and send it.

In Outlook Express you can also open the email message* and select File > Properties > Details. The email headers will appear. You can copy these as you normally copy text and include it in a new message to phishing-report@us-cert.gov.

If you cannot forward the email message, at a minimum, please send the URL of the phishing web site.
    * If the suspicious mail in question includes a file attachment, it is safer to simply highlight the message and forward it. Some configurations, especially in Windows environments, may allow the execution of arbitrary code upon opening and viewing a malicious email message.

Learn More About Phishing
    The following documents and web sites can help you learn more about phishing and how to protect yourself against phishing attacks.
    Avoiding Social Engineering and Phishing Attacks
    Protecting Your Privacy
    Understanding Web Site Certificates
    Anti-Phishing Working Group (APWG)
    Federal Trade Commission, Identity Theft

ADMIN:
    Please post this information on the appropriate forums.
    Thanks!

Here's another great source of information on phishing, spam, etc. Bookmark this site:
    http://www.lookstoogoodtobetrue.com/

I originally got the link from the Infragard (FBI) website.

Fritz,

I like this site. I checked it out and took the quizzes to see if I were at risk - I am not.
    Michael E. Harris

Badge #6718

Thumbs up

Fritz,

I like this site. I checked it out and took the quizzes to see if I were at risk - I am not.
    Good morning, Michael!
    Long time no hear
    Glad you enjoyed the site. Please send it to anyone you know who might not be as astute as the people on these forums (my mother for example). I have a coronary when I see the stuff she forwards to me.
    Have a great day.

Fritz,

I still work full time and go to school full time. I am doing a couple of sociology classes right now - Social Problems and Cultural Diversity. The Social Problems class has a scenario about a high-school dropout, ex-con who cannot get ahead. The course has stacked everything against this guy. The course does build on some of the other courses and I actually enjoy these two.

I have friends (nurses) who believe all the emails that they get. I scared them recently by explaining what really can happen when you respond to some of the emails.

I work with a paranoid (retired government - SES1 I think) who believes that everything is evil. He even refuses to get an ATM card from his bank. He got the link to the site before I even thought about anyone else.

Fritz,

I just noticed that my post count dropped another 25 posts. I suspect that this one will get moved or deleted also.

Exclamation

Fritz,

I still work full time and go to school full time. I am doing a couple of sociology classes right now - Social Problems and Cultural Diversity. The Social Problems class has a scenario about a high-school dropout, ex-con who cannot get ahead. The course has stacked everything against this guy. The course does build on some of the other courses and I actually enjoy these two.

I have friends (nurses) who believe all the emails that they get. I scared them recently by explaining what really can happen when you respond to some of the emails.

I work with a paranoid (retired government - SES1 I think) who believes that everything is evil. He even refuses to get an ATM card from his bank. He got the link to the site before I even thought about anyone else.
    Michael;
    I fought the EZ Pass for years, but traveling between NY and southern NJ? I just gave up

Fritz,

EZPass makes life easy - if you watch the account you use to pay for it.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast