Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: FORGED EMAILS: Microsoft, PayPay, Yahoo, Ebay, IPIU, & Others

Arrow FORGED EMAILS: Microsoft, PayPay, Yahoo, Ebay, IPIU, & Others

WARNING!

FORGED EMAILS, also known as Spoofed Emails.
    For more details: Click here

-------------
    UPDATE for fraudulent emails: 3-30-2007
    Now receiving forged email from:

admin@microsoft.com Subject: Internet Explorer 7 Downloads

FRAUDLENT EMAILS: Paypal, Yahoo, Ebay, IPIU, Others:

Warning, you may be receiving forged emails asking you to log into your accounts at Ebay, Paypal, Yahoo, IPIU, and others.

These emails LOOK OFFICIAL, but they are not.

When you read these emails and it gives you a link in the email to log in, just place your mouse over the link and read the real link in your STATUS BAR at the bottom of your page. (Or, right-click and choose properties to see the real link).
    Example of a fake Ebay email:

They ask you to sign in at a secured site at:
    https://signin.ebay.com/

However, the Properties of the above link in the email show the following site:

http://24.1.233.198:81/signin.ebay.com/

The above web site is really http://24.1.233.198:81 located in Texas and NOT the real ebay site in California.

If you had logged into the fake site at 24.1.233.198:81, then they would have your Ebay Name and Passcode to commit fraud!

WARNING #2!

Do NOT tag any incoming emails from ipiu.org or privateinvestigators.cc as "spam". Even though our emails containing attachments may be fake at times, you will be blocking our real emails if you tag them as spam. You are better off deleting the fakes and keeping the real emails.

IPIU emails do NOT contain any Attachments. We do NOT ask you to open an Attachement in the email or to "colick" on an Attachment. At most, we will email some members web links to our forum site, but again - we do NOT email any Attachments.

If IPIU emails you a web link, place the mouse oover the link WITHOUT CLICKING ON IT and see if it is located somewhere at our root web sites, such as www.ipiu.org , www.ipiu.org/forums, or our ecommerce site at www.privateinvestigators.cc

-In other form emails, such as PayPal, by placing your mouse over the email web link that these emails ask you to click on, you will see their phony web addresses, which sometimes have an official name attached to a numeric phony web site. DO NOT CLICK on the email link.

If you want to verify if your account has been cancelled or suspended, then LOG IN AT THE REGULAR ACCOUNT SITE ONLY. (Or, if it is related to IPIU - then privately email usa@ipiu.org to verify)

Other home pages of other web sites that have been hot with forged emails include:

www.ebay.com

www.paypal.com

www.yahoo.com

www.(yourbank).com

UPDATE: 2-22-2007

www.paypal-accounts.com IS A PHONY WEBSITE!

The REAL SITE is www.paypal.com

For more details on the phony site, go here:
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...l-accounts.com

UPDATE for fraudulent emails: 9-26-2005
    "MonkeyMan395" Hoax purports to be wanted for murder:

Go here for truth:
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Monkeyman935

UPDATE for fraudulent emails: 3-30-2007
    Now receiving forged email from:

admin@microsoft.com Subject: Internet Explorer 7 Downloads

Technical Support, Thanks for the valuable information.

Thanks for the Warning!

Edward Taguba is offline Certified Distinguished Member
    Private Investigators Forums

Professional Member of:
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)
    I got several from people trying to use ebay.com and paypal.com. and don't forget www.bidpay.com

More about email spoofs

Thanks for the info.

I have a collection of fraudulent emails sent to me for PayPal, eBay, several banks and several credit card companies. I save them because I would like to track these people down and prosecute them if possible. Who knows, maybe I'll even be able to make a living at it!

Almost all web sites for banks, credit card companies, as well as eBay, and PayPal have links on their web sites for submitting fraud attempts directly to them, so don't just trash them unless you just don't have time to mess with it.

PayPal advises: If you think that you have received a fraudulent email (or fake website), please forward the email (or URL address) to spoof@paypal.com and then delete the email from your mailbox. Never click any links or attachments in a suspicious email.

Ebay Link: Report Spoof Email by Forwarding It to spoof@ebay.com

Sooner or later folks, there are going to be email fraud attempts aimed at your prescription drug suppliers, and every other company out there that has personal or financial information on YOU...so be diligent about monitoring your email...these CONS are getting very tricky.

Hope this was helpful.

John French

Thank you for the warning.

Thank you for the information. We've had server problems at work because of these for 2 days now.

Exclamation

Learn from my stupid mistake! I got one of these emails from PayPal or so I thought and was taken for almost $1,600.

What happens is you get an email that tells you confirm your name, address, and credit card number. Once they have that they actually make withdraws from your account.

I use a checking card for PayPal and they took every penny in the account plus because I didn't know this was happening my bank was charging me overdraft fees.

For someone going into criminal justice as a career it was a dumb thing to do, but the emails are VERY REAL looking, and I didn’t even think twice. I should have been more suspicious. So learn from me

I went to the bank one day and I wouldn’t give my card back at the ATM so I walked in and found out what was wrong. There were 11 withdraws made from my account in MADRID SPAIN, and another Spanish city that I had never been to nor do I know anyone in. Hopefully my bank will find my not responsible, and I hope that everyone that reads this and uses a card online will learn from my loss.

Lightbulb

Dan,

Ccontact your bank some will give you back your funds and go after the pay pay plan. my bank has made three fights for me and won all It has to stop somewhere and I am sure if the banks don't stop it they will get hit with giving out unauthorized funds
    Roberta Bryant

Kathie Evans is offline Private Investigator Forum Member

Member of:
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)
    HELLO ALL! Just wanted to put my little 2 cents in here,I was also using Pay Pal and someone hacked into it or I accidentally clicked on a link somehwere and YES! I was taken for about 1500 Boy was I furious! One day I opened up my email and wow, they said I just withdrew all this money. It took me a while to fight to get my money back, but the bank finally gave it to me. Just be careful out there, its amazing what people do with all the spam and things.I now, will not use paypal, and am very careful on opening things!
    BE SAFE!
    Kathie

Temistocles Tatis is offline *** Certified
    Distinguished Member:
    Private Investigator Member
    Thank you for providing such of great information.

Thanks for the information.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Kathie Evans
    HELLO ALL! Just wanted to put my little 2 cents in here,I was also using Pay Pal and someone hacked into it or I accidentally clicked on a link somehwere and YES! I was taken for about 1500 Boy was I furious! One day I opened up my email and wow, they said I just withdrew all this money. It took me a while to fight to get my money back, but the bank finally gave it to me. Just be careful out there, its amazing what people do with all the spam and things.I now, will not use paypal, and am very careful on opening things!
    BE SAFE!
    Kathie
    Kathie,
    I have had unauthorized amounts taken from my account not through pay pal my bank placed my funds back imediatly and I was told they would not take the money back unless they found it to be my fault. Anytime you have funds taken with out authorization always contact your bank
    Roberta

I got one of these yahoo 00000 and when I got to the part where it asked for my bank card code I realized it wasn't real cuz Yahoo would not ask for that. So I immediately clicked on the X to close the window and even logged off internet just in case. Whew! close call. That was about 4 months ago. Yesterday I got one that said "Yahoo Billing" and when I opened it , it had a wierd scarey message like "7m ..." I learned after that first one to log on directly and don't ever click on links mainly from your emails. On the other hand I also got someone that just decided to charge my debit credit card and I didn't even know who they were. Something called "My Real Estate Mentor" for $29.95. I had to get a new debit card and sign a letter and fax it to my bank to have them investigate. I got my money back! Tina

Question curious!

Quote Originally Posted by Kathie Evans
    BE SAFE!
    Kathie
    Did you have money sitting in your PayPal acct? I never leave money in mine. I thought they were secure? hmm I better ask them about that. I don't want my info stolen.

All great information. I just learned that my wife has these types of accounts but doesn't keep any mony in them. See is glad to know of possible frauds and can look out for them.

Bill Watkins

Great Info

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Klimek
    Learn from my stupid mistake! I got one of these emails from PayPal or so I thought and was taken for almost $1,600.

What happens is you get an email that tells you confirm your name, address, and credit card number. Once they have that they actually make withdraws from your account.

I use a checking card for PayPal and they took every penny in the account plus because I didn't know this was happening my bank was charging me overdraft fees.

For someone going into criminal justice as a career it was a dumb thing to do, but the emails are VERY REAL looking, and I didn’t even think twice. I should have been more suspicious. So learn from me

I went to the bank one day and I wouldn’t give my card back at the ATM so I walked in and found out what was wrong. There were 11 withdraws made from my account in MADRID SPAIN, and another Spanish city that I had never been to nor do I know anyone in. Hopefully my bank will find my not responsible, and I hope that everyone that reads this and uses a card online will learn from my loss.
    We should all pay close Atten: to what we receive thru E Mail, lots of Junk now days. Watch closely to ones who request vitial info. from us. warning do not disclose info. prior to ck. out. Lets catch EM. Hang EM Have great one Good topic Thanks Elmer

Thanks to everyone in here. Lots of great information that I didnt realize. I have paypal but I havent used it in a while. Gotta do some reserarching since I get emails sayin its from paypal but I never deal with it. I just delete it. Thanks again for the tips
    Dale

Angry Trying to close my PayPal account ?

About a week ago I received an fraudulent email trying to pass it off as PayPal. I forwarded the email to Paypal, they responded that they had investigated the email and is was not their's. So I went and tried to close my account , and PayPal wont let me remove my checking and credit card info. They are saying that I need to try again at a later date due to pending transaction's. Yet I have not used Paypal to make any purchase in at least 3months. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the info

Thanks everyone for the information. I have a paypal account but have used it only once in about 4 years. I have not kept any money in the account but I am going to check in to cancelling the account. There is no sense in having it open if I am not using it.

Lisa Frye - is offline Certified SPI
    Licensed Private Investigator

Moderator (On Leave of Absence)
    Sr. Distinguished Union Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricia Crews
    About a week ago I received an fraudulent email trying to pass it off as PayPal. I forwarded the email to Paypal, they responded that they had investigated the email and is was not their's. So I went and tried to close my account , and PayPal wont let me remove my checking and credit card info. They are saying that I need to try again at a later date due to pending transaction's. Yet I have not used Paypal to make any purchase in at least 3months. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Hello Tricia,

Do you have an update on this yet??

Fraudulent e-mail

Thanks for asking Lisa.
    No I dont have an update yet.

Thanks

Email Fraud in Africa

I have been doing my own private investigation on email 00000 for some time now.I have compliled a list of names and email addresses of known 00000 and 0000 artist's.I would eventually like to be the one to come to for Con-sulting on such matters. Thank's!

[Edited by Moderator: Email needs approval]

Lisa Frye - is offline Certified SPI
    Licensed Private Investigator

Moderator (On Leave of Absence)
    Sr. Distinguished Union Member
    Thanks for asking Lisa.

Thanks
    Tricia,

Have you tried to delete your info again if thats what you have decided to do. I would suggest that if you recieve an email that looks like it is from paypay, always go to the main paypal site and not through the site that was sent to you.

This will ensure that it is legit. I'm quite certain your account will be safe this way.

Lisa

Angry Robert Matlick ( Matlick Investigations )

Has anyone been receiving e-mails from a person supposed to be from Africa and related to a president or Prime Minister and are trying to send money to the US and want you to be their go between. I seem to remember a post in the past with e-mail addresses to send these to. Federal Government or someone like that. Does anyone have these??

Thanks for this valuable information!
    Patrice-Maria

this is truely very useful and helpful information. Thanks everyone

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Stillwell
    I have been doing my own private investigation on email 00000 for some time now.I have compliled a list of names and email addresses of known 00000 and 0000 artist's.I would eventually like to be the one to come to for Con-sulting on such matters. Thank's!

[Edited by Moderator: Email needs approval]
    Steve,

I had to edit out your email address. Personal information cannot be posted on our forum without a preapproved SIGNATURE by Legal Affairs. This is for all the members protection. To apply for an approved upgraded signature, click here for details:
    http://www.ipiu.org/forums/showthread.php?t=19427

And please review the forum rules link below that you earlier agreed to:

Click here:
    http://www.ipiu.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=2914

I have ercieved some of these e-mails. You should contact your local secret service agency. Should be in the federal building. This is in reguards to the emails from Africa.

In the fraudulent department, I'm not sure but I think someone may be trying to get my AOL account number and password information. Everyday on my desktop when I first start up, an official looking AOL screen comes on (I have dial-up) and asks me for my user name and password. I was suspicious because if I click on my AOL account, I don't need to put in my user name, I just scroll to it. It takes three hits on the "X" to get rid of it, then I just click on AOL on the desk top and I am fine. It just didn't seem right. Has anyone had a similar situation??

Hello, Diane!

I could be way off base here, but maybe aol is doing that to you because they automatically put an auto "startup" shortcut (or instruction line) into your computer's startup files when you install aol software.

You can tell if this is the case by clicking on your "Start" button at your desktop's farthest lower-left corner, go to "Settings" then select "Taskbar & Start Menu" and click on that. That should display a dialogue box entitled "Taskbar & Start Menu Properties" which should offer you buttons with options like Add... Remove... Advanced... Resort...

If you click on the Advanced button, a dialogue box or screen entitled Start Menu should pop up, which probably shows folders labelled Printers and Programs (maybe more things, but at least those two). When you click on the Programs folder you should see subfolders displayed with labels like Accessories and Startup. Clicking the Startup folder should display programs such as your aol dialup file, probably entitled something like aol.exe, and that may be why the aol startup box is activating each time you restart your mosheen. There are other places in your PC's program files that this could be stemming from as well, but this is a good place to start.

I suppose there could be a trojan virus in existence somewhere that does this, so it's worth checking out. If you go to McAfee's virus library http://vil.nai.com/VIL/recently-updated-viruses.asp (among others) you can check their updated files on the various viruses going around.

Hope that's helpful at all and not just terribly confusing!

For a computer novice like me, it will be a stretch to check it , but I have to start sometime. I'll do it tomorrow step by step like you said and see if it works. I have just heard recently about fake windows popping up in various situations where logos are being stolen and used to look like real web sites...so I thought hmmmm.....
    Thanks for your help...I'll let you know how it goes.

Smile

Jan, what is a mosheen?? Also, after I do all that you said, what will I see if it is from AOL and a shortcut for me??

Tech Support, thank you for the warning.

Hi Diane! - I'm sorry, "mosheen" is Albuquerque-ese for "machine", or "PC" - some habitual slang I never got over even after leaving the desert four years ago. When you reach the startup menu, you may see a shortcut icon (an icon with an arrow, labelled something like "Shortcut to AOL"), one of aol's current icons like their stylized letters or the little yellow running man with "AOL" behind him, I'm not sure what their current program icon looks like. But if it doesn't have the arrow with it, or isn't labelled a shortcut, you probably don't want to delete it. If there IS a shortcut icon displayed there, you can delete it without fear and then try restarting your machine to see if that fixed the auto-popup-problem.

I apologize if I'm just being confusing rather than helpful. An easier way to tell if you have some kind of spyware program that has been secretly planted on your PC would be to scan your computer with one of the free virus/spyware scanning programs that are online. There are lots of them, but two that come to mind are: http://www.freespywarescan.org/download.html - another is at http://www.pctools.com/spyware-doctor/ .

I'm no PC expert, I just experiment with my own quite a bit and I find it alot easier and cheaper than constantly calling in some expert (even calling my nephew - last resort, always works!) But if you don't enjoy messing with these things please forgive my suggestion; I don't want to be fraggling your last nerve!

/jan

I received one from Washington Mutual yesterday. I deleted without opening the link. The email asked me to update my account. I knew something was wrong because I do not have an account with this bank.

Tricia, You might want to try actually calling PayPal at their customer service number. I know from personal experience that it can be time consuming - my last go-round with them I had to hold listening to dental-office-muzak for a full 37 minutes before a rep answered - but once you're speaking with a person you'll get much better service from PP. Their tollfree # is listed under their "Contact" webpage. If you've already tried calling them, call again and be stern and emphatic.

It was time consuming, but I had been trading emails for 5 weeks before that, without any resolution, so it was more than worth it.

You can remind them that by not letting you close your account and remove your cc information they are leaving you open to potential fraud and financial losses which, by law, they will have to reimburse you for if it is their fault (for not letting you remove your info, when you KNOW 100% for sure somebody is trying to use it fraudulently because you have authorized NO transactions that have not cleared already.) If there is something pending it HAS to be shown to you under your account info, and listed as "pending". They can use that info to see who is trying to use your account, if they have incentive to do so.

Of course you have to make sure you are 100% certain before you get this stern or emphatic with them, because if you're wrong and there is something outstanding you forgot about you end up eating crow.

U.S. banking laws tend to favor the banks more often than the little guy, but the insurance coverage they are required to offer IS on your side; otherwise none of us would ever put our money in a bank or use a credit card. I had an episode last summer where somebody in the UK was trying to use my Visa card, and after they traced the info (doing the identical things I had already done, lol!) for less than 48 hours they discovered it was, indeed, someone in the UK - obviously not me, and they credited all of the debits immediately, changed my account number etc. It's worth pursuing IMHO unless you had the good sense to be born a billionaire and don't have to care about missing funds.

Hope it's helpful. / jan

Martin Betancourt- is offline Private Investigator Forum Member

Member of International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)
    It is helpful information in here and thanks everyone for.
    Because few weeks ago someboy was trying to get in to my personal information too, but they could't on this time, mmmmm thanks again family.

Sincerely,

Martin
    Make it and happen!

Lots of sick criminals out there. I have had someone tap into my bank account also. I had to cancel the card. I lost about $200 and never saw the money again. Needless to say I am interested in doing some computer fraud investigations in the near future.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast