Thread: Make a Signature for Yourself!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Altman
    I can't what to have the seal beside my name .
    I really like Paul T. post with his name at the bottom and under that, P.I.Trainee then under that Badge#xxxx it looks neat.
    Scott Altman
    Thanks Scott !!!

You to, can make a signature for yourself...it is pretty easy to get the hang of.

Good Luck to you on your journey
    Last edited by M Michelle Le Fevre--; 10-27-2004 at 11:42 PM.

Lightbulb Ideas

Hey Paul
    Any ideas on wear to look?? I would like to have a eagle under my name and badge. Do you have to type in your name & badge # every time?
    Thanks for the info
    Last edited by M Michelle Le Fevre--; 10-27-2004 at 11:31 PM.

Hey Paul
    Any ideas on wear to look?? I would like to have a eagle under my name and badge. Do you have to type in your name & badge # every time?
    Thanks for the info
    Hey Scott,

First, when you post you will see a check box under your post before you submit... This check box titled Use Signature would have to be checked at all times for your signature to appear.l

When you make a signature you only have to type it once and save it....andf checking that box when submitting a post will automatically add the signature to your post.

You make your signature by going into the User CP at the top of the forums on tool bar...Going into your user cp you have a variety of choices including Signature.

To add an image......you will need to use the < img> tags on each end.....you can read more about signatures by going to these links:

http://www.ipiu.org/forums/showthrea...ght=signatures

As for finding an image....type in eagle images and look up some images on internet......All the rest of the insturctions you should be able to find in these 2 links

Paul,

Isn't it amazing how much members helped answer our questions when we joined? You now answered Scott question quite eloquently and professional.

Everyone kept saying - read the forums, they were right. This is where all the answers are.

I printed out the vB Code list to help with the HTML language to create the cutsy stuff!!

Cheryl

Quote Originally Posted by Cheryl Gipfel
    Paul,

Isn't it amazing how much members helped answer our questions when we joined? You now answered Scott question quite eloquently and professional.

Everyone kept saying - read the forums, they were right. This is where all the answers are.

I printed out the vB Code list to help with the HTML language to create the cutsy stuff!!

Cheryl
    Hey Chery
    What do you mean(vB code list dealing with the HTML language)what does that mean/
    Scott Altman
    P.I. Associate
    Badge # 10496
    License Process Server
    Notary Public

Hey Chery
    What do you mean(vB code list dealing with the HTML language)what does that mean/
    Hi, Scott
    This is bold
    This is in italics
    This is underlined
    This typed at font size 3
    For this, I selected magenta color

There may be some list that's printable, but I'm not aware of what Cheryl was meaning when she said that. I just don't know where it might be found.

But, with a little knowledge, you can do this for yourself. When you type a post, you should always see the menu of options for the vB code at the top of the area you are typing. That is the only time you see it. A few things you should see in that area are Fonts, Size and Color, to mention the three with pull down menus.

These and other options are selected just like you would in a word processing program, such as MS Word or Word Perfect. In most word processors, they don't show the code, because for most people, it gets confusing seeing all of that along with the text you are typing.

But, it's always there. Not all code is exactly the same, but all is similar, because of the job it performs. Simple HTML code is also very similar to this vB code, but it doesn't transpose exactly into vB without some changes.

There are a number of things you can do in a post, but there is a problem with showing you some of these codes. When typed correctly to give you an example, this forum software sees what I've typed as valid code. So, to see the code I've typed in this post, you can use the QUOTE button below to view it. And, you can also then copy the post and save it on your computer as a text file for future reference.

Images and URLs are similar, but you need outside information to complete them. You need an Internet address to tell the software where to find that image address or URL address.

OK, I know where this image is, so I'll use it as an example.

All I've done is insert an image into my post. I told the software what I wanted done with the image code and I told it where to find the image with the address within the code. The two words "center" are HTML code that tells the software to display the image on the center of the page, between, left and right margins. Without that center code, the image would be at the left margin. Note the different brackets on the HTML code. That's necessary to tell the software its HTML code, and not vB code. Don't get those brackets mixed up. You'll confuse the software!

To see how to insert URL coding, you can look at Paul Tetrault's post above, or any post that has such coding in it to see how it's done. The same goes for an image. You just insert the necessary address within the code brackets to tell the software what you are wanting displayed.

You can use the menu, or you can put this code in manually. It works both ways. The menu is for someone who doesn't know for sure what the code is, or doesn't want to worry with making an error in the code.

NOTE:
    There is a quick reply option in this software. The only menu options you have on that are bold, italics, underline and QUOTE. To see this full menu I'm speaking of, you should select "QUOTE" for your reply, then edit out any unnecessary text of the previous post, or simply select the "Post Reply" button.

To use the menu, press the option you want with your mouse, and a little line of blank text will show up. Type in what you want to be coded and then select "OK". That text with the surrounding code would then be inserted where the cursor was, at the time.

You are doing the same thing, when you select a smiley. You can type the : and the ) together to get the , or you can just hit the proper smiley.

Keep in mind that anything someone has in their signature line can not be seen when hitting the QUOTE button. Only code within the message post itself is visible to you. But, after a little study, you can see it's not that difficult to understand most of the code. It just takes a little time in the beginning, and you soon should understand what's going on.

To view your post, before actually submitting, you can select "Preview Post" with the button below. That will show all of your inserted code, as the software understands it. Of course, it has no room for error, so if you do something incorrectly, it will show up there. Then, you can go back and correct anything before actually posting it for real.

Now, after you get all of this accomplished, you can add yourself a signature line to your liking. The two links in Paul Tetrault's previous post can help you with that.

Most people think HTML and vB text code is difficult, but once you see how it works, you can usually figure out for yourself what you want to do. I hope this little bit of info is helpful, and I didn't make things worse! Have fun!
    Last edited by M Michelle Le Fevre--; 10-27-2004 at 11:32 PM.

I think Cheryl was probably referring to the links below that can be found in the FAQ.

About Using Codes and Smilies

Code Examples

Brenda

Quote Originally Posted by Brenda Templin
    I think Cheryl was probably referring to the links below that can be found in the FAQ.

About Using Codes and Smilies

Code Examples

Brenda
    Well then...I wish I'd known that was there, before I wrote my essay.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Whiteaker
    Well then...I wish I'd known that was there, before I wrote my essay.
    I'm sure all is not lost, Michael. Sometimes it helps to clarify things when read from two different perspectives. You quite possibly might have cleared up a question or two that was not clear from reading the FAQ.

Brenda

Scott,

Looks like you got your answer. That is the best thing about these forums. You can see everyone is so willing to help everyone else. I have been out of town on a few days of vacation. Thought since the Cardinals were loosing I would come and check my mail.

Best of luck,
    Cheryl

(On Leave of Absence)

Distinguished Member:
    Private Investigators Forum

Posts moved to New Thread

Hello all,

I have moved your posts to this new thread that is dedicated to the topic you are discussing. This keeps our forums nice and neet and easier to find specific answers. This information is an excellent resourse so please continue in your discussion.

Thank you for your support.

Michelle
    M Michelle Le Fevre
    MCSD, MCP, IPIU
    Case Examiner
    Badge #10178

Joyce Jameson - is offline Distinguished Member of:
    Private Investigators Forums

Member of International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)

How to: signatures

http://www.ipiu.org/forums/showthread.php?t=20098
    This is where I found it, I hope this helps.
    Joyce

Useful Information

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Tetrault
    Hey Scott,

First, when you post you will see a check box under your post before you submit... This check box titled Use Signature would have to be checked at all times for your signature to appear.l

When you make a signature you only have to type it once and save it....andf checking that box when submitting a post will automatically add the signature to your post.

You make your signature by going into the User CP at the top of the forums on tool bar...Going into your user cp you have a variety of choices including Signature.

To add an image......you will need to use the < img> tags on each end.....you can read more about signatures by going to these links:

As for finding an image....type in eagle images and look up some images on internet......All the rest of the insturctions you should be able to find in these 2 links
    Paul, Thank you for all this useful information. It's greatly appreciated...

Re: Make a Signature for Yourself!

Thanks for the helpful hints and explanation of codes.

Luke A Slowik is offline *
    Moderator (Retired)

Former Law Enforcement Officer
    Distinguished Member: Private Investigators Forum

Re: Make a Signature for Yourself!

Thanks to all who have participated and contributed in this thread. There is a lot of great information here for all of our members.
    Luke A. Slowik
    Special Investigator, RQA, Inc.
    Counterfeit Alcohol & Tobacco Division
    Badge #11572