Thread: Former US Atty General: Advises AGAINST Federal Bounty Hunter Restrictions!

Anthony Bridgestone is offline Professional Services Dept

International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)
    Founded in 1989

Thumbs up

According to an NABIC News Release, William Barr (who served as the United States Attorney General under President George Bush) advises against a federal Bounty Hunter Law!

Would like to know more about this federal bounty hunting and law.....

new law?

I, too, am interested in this. I hold a real nice certificate in Bounty Hunting/Bail Recovery but I don't have a state license. What is required to get a license to work independantly? I know I can work for an agency under their license but am curious about other options.

Michael Harris is offline Lifetime Professional Management Member

Distinguished Insignio Colleague of:
    I had posted a case about NJ bounty hunters who were told by a couny attorney that they could not carry guns.

If the bounty hunters go away or are so limited, bond/bail will also go away.
    Michael E. Harris

Badge #6718

Bounty Hunting Imposters

Originally posted by Michael Harris
    I had posted a case about NJ bounty hunters who were told by a couny attorney that they could not carry guns.

If the bounty hunters go away or are so limited, bond/bail will also go away.
    After reading your post, I did a little digging and found some interesting information. The following information was obtained from the website link provided at the bottom of the quoted information from the web page.

COMPENDIUM OF STATE BOUNTY HUNTER LAWS

"(The sureties)***whenever they choose to do so may seize him and deliver him up to their discharge: and if this cannot be once at once, they may imprison him until it can be done. They may pursue him to another state; may arrest him on the Sabbath, and, if necessary, may break and enter his house for that purpose. The seizure is not made by virtue of new process. None is needed. It is likened to the rearrest by the sheriff of an escaping prisoner."

United States Supreme Court: Taylor v Taintor 16 Wall, 36

Introduction

In August 1997, five intruders, masquerading as bounty hunters, murdered an innocent couple in Phoenix. The national media reported the incident as a bounty hunter operation gone awry. By the time it was learned that the assailants were not bounty hunters, the shelf life on the story had expired. Although for the fake bounty hunters there have three convictions for murder and two trials pending, both the general public and public officials have been left with the mythical residue of abuses by bounty hunters. In many state houses there was a knee jerk reaction to propose legislative responses to curb and regulate bounty hunting. In the 1998 session, 14 states dropped bills on the topic. The following year, during the 1999 session, 26 states proposed such legislation. Not all these bill passed. Some died when the states went out of session. Others have carried over to the 2000 session. All states have some provision for the recovery of bail jumpers. Not all have laws making a distinction between the bondsman and his contracted agent, the bail recovery agent/bounty hunter. By the end of April 2000, ten states had added bounty hunter specific provisions to their codes, and 13 states had pending legislation for that purpose.
    Link to Site containing the above information
    Raymond. D. Fogle
    Maryland

Raymond,

Thanks for the link and the story. I can see why some idiot ADA thought he was saving his state (NJ) from the bad guys. All he did was make it easier for the bad guys to get away.

To All:
    Surety: One who has contracted to be responsible for another, especially one who assumes responsibilities or debts in the event of default.
    In New Jersey, the surety is the insurance company that funds the bailbond. The bail bondsman in NJ is licensed by the Department of Banking & Insurance (NJDOBI).

In Raymond's citation of a court decision, the insurance company (through the agency of a bail bondsman who employs or contracts for bounty hunters) has every right to pursue the fugitive.

If the rights of bounty hunters are limited to the point where they are ineffective in apprehending fugitives, then the insurance companies who fund the bail bondsmen will no longer underwrite bail bonds. Then anyone arrested will go to jail until their trail is over.

Think about the problems with our jail system now!

Raymond,

I am glad you are here in the IPIU forums.

Yes Ray that was very interesting.......
    Hopefully the courts will come around to the right way of thinking... NOT

Yeah I heard about this, and I do think there should be some kind of schooling you should half to take.

In the State of Ohio the law has change for Bounty Hunters, You half to be License, you can't be a Convicted Felon (I think I can't remeber), you must take a Course that cost $400 that is Provide by the Department of Insurance (which you well be license under them) and carry Insurance (Bond).

Unless your the Fellowing:

Bail Bondsmen or working under a Bail Bondsmen which then you well not need to be license it's his/her duty to put you on there Insurance and Licenses.

License Private Investigator

Law Enforcement offical

This is some of the laws that I know, there is more to this.

This is good info, however, i wonder. Is there any new info for 2005?

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Lofing
    This is good info, however, i wonder. Is there any new info for 2005?
    Steven,

Thank you so very much for offering to do the research.

So noted

I will let you know if i find anything

Steven,

That is gerat news.

I am in the middle of some interesting research - Fourth and Fifth Amendments - in particular, search & seizure and self-incrimination.

I am reading several dozen Supreme Court cases and my eyes are crossing.

The search should be very beneficial to you. A simple google search might bring up some helpful sites.

Wardy Landrau - - is offline Private Investigator Forum Member

2008 Member of:

Thumbs up Re: Former US Atty General: Advises AGAINST Federal Bounty Hunter Restrictions!

Good Evening

Everybody;

I'm currently going to get ceritifie thru this school to get my Bail Bond licenses for New Jersey. About the bounty hunter situation the State Police took over the Industries. If you are Bail Bond you don't need a license to work as a Bounty Hunter

http://www.bailbondacademy.com/