Thread: Laws for Bail enforcement in Minnesota

Laws for Bail enforcement in Minnesota

I was wondering if anybody knows,what type of license you need for bail enforcement in Minnesota.

Denise Garceau is offline Licensed Private Investigator
    Agency Owner

Private Investigator Union Member
    There are some videos on this page, just for interests. http://www.usrecoverybureau.com/

and getting started and liability here
    http://www.bondforfeitures.com/articles.htm

and here is some Minnesota info
    http://www.americanbailcoalition.com...ail%20Laws.htm

http://www.bail.com/Minnesota/
    http://www.combose.com/Business/Busi...Bail_Recovery/

Place in Minnesota looking for BEA's
    http://www.sturminvestigations.com/

Re: Laws for Bail enforcement in Minnesota

Wondering if any laws have changed in MN since these previous posts. I've been doing some research on the laws and requirements, and to be honest, there is a lot of conflicting information out there.

I spoke with the State Board, and they told me something totally different than what I read in other areas. Basically, she said that the statute's governing Investigations, Protective agents and such, apply to Bail Enforcement as well. I figure I am being given the "Company Line", so to speak, but am curious if anyone out there has had similar experiences.

Thanks

Brad McCulloch

David Copeland is offline Administrator
    Private Investigators Forum

Sponsored by:
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)

Quote Originally Posted by Brad McCulloch View Post
    Wondering if any laws have changed in MN since these previous posts. I've been doing some research on the laws and requirements, and to be honest, there is a lot of conflicting information out there.

I spoke with the State Board, and they told me something totally different than what I read in other areas. Basically, she said that the statute's governing Investigations, Protective agents and such, apply to Bail Enforcement as well. I figure I am being given the "Company Line", so to speak, but am curious if anyone out there has had similar experiences.

Thanks

Brad McCulloch
    If you can, please call your source again and ask for the web link where the statutes clearing state that the PI Licensing board has authority and regulation over bail enforcement agents. That way we can ask our Legal Department to review the government link and post a more appropriate response, including giving you any exemptions that may come to light. Also, make sure you know the and last name of the person you are speaking to who is offering statutory advice on the phone. If they say they do not give out their last names, then simply ask respectfully to speak to a manager who can provide his/her full name so that there is no need to ask the Chairman of Board for the Licensing Board.

(It has been our experience in the last 19 years that 50% of all the receptionists that answer state licensing phones give out personal opinion or what they think they have been told. If you wish to be lawful, then you need to hav the written statutes and exemptions in hand before proceeding)

Following is what I was sent by the MN Licensing board last week. Evidently, they must feel that the duties of a Bail Enforcement Agent and their scope of work may fall under #9---probably not always true, but it does appear that they are looking at this.

The following is the section pertaining to the need for licensing, see all sections 1-9, particularly #9.

326.338 PERSONS ENGAGED AS PRIVATE DETECTIVES OR PROTECTIVE AGENTS.
    Subdivision 1. Private detective. Persons who for a fee, reward, or other consideration,
    undertake any of the following acts for the purpose of obtaining information for others are
    considered to be engaged in the business of a private detective:
    (1) investigating crimes or wrongs done or threatened against the government of the United
    States or of any state, county, or municipal subdivision thereof;
    (2) investigating the identity, habits, conduct, movements, whereabouts, transactions,
    reputation, or character of any person or organization;
    (3) investigating the credibility of witnesses or other persons;
    (4) investigating the location or recovery of lost or stolen property;
    (5) investigating the origin of and responsibility for libels, losses, accidents, or damage
    or injuries to persons or property;
    (6) investigating the affiliation, connection, or relationship of any person, firm, or corporation
    with any organization, society, or association, or with any official, representative, or member
    thereof;
    (7) investigating the conduct, honesty, efficiency, loyalty, or activities of employees, persons
    seeking employment, agents, or contractors and subcontractors;
    (8) obtaining through investigation evidence to be used before any authorized investigating
    committee, board of award, board of arbitration, administrative body, or officer or in preparation
    for trial of civil or criminal cases; or
    (9) investigating the identity or apprehension of persons suspected of crimes or misdemeanors.

Hi there Brad, you have raised a good point with number nine. I think that what this comes down to is the interpretation of what is wrote. Some may say one thing and another will say something else. I myself understand it as, "suspected of crimes or misdemeanors", well the suspects I have caught "have" broken the law by FTA(Failure To Appear) and there bail had been revoked. I will look farther into this and let you know what I find out. I want to stay on the "good" side and not break the law myself.-J.Alexander Midwest Fugitive Recovery, St Cloud, MN www.mwifr.com
    James L Alexander JR
    Midwest Ivestigation &
    Fugitive Recoveryhttp://mwifr.com

Thanks for the reply. Seems to me those in State government would like to have more control over the Fugitive business, but from what I can learn, the law is pretty clear that as long as you are acting for a surety in some capacity, you are covered. I imagine if you start calling yourself a Fugitive Recovery Investigator, and don't hold the PI license, then you may be crossing that thin line.

I'm just getting started in some of these areas, and have a lot to learn. It's interesting as well as frustrating.

Take care.

David Copeland is offline Administrator
    Private Investigators Forum

Sponsored by:
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)

Well, again we cannot request a legal interpretation unless their office provides a web link (not a copy and paste) of how they assume they can regulate Fugitive Recovery Agents (not Fugitive Recovery Investigators). Using the word investigator in your advertised title may lead to an inquiry, but I do not see where they have an issue with advertising as a Fugitive Recovery Agent.

Number 9 is part of the statutes regulating those who advertise an investigator. However, see the exemptions in the following link:
    http://www.ipiu.org/forums/showthread.php?t=2150