Thread: No Sunday Service (court Papers)

David Martz - is offline Licensed Private Investigator

Private Investigator Forum Member

No Sunday Service (court Papers)

Dear New Process Servers & New Agency's,
    Here is a list of states that prohibit sunday service but some of these states will permit service under special circumstances pursuant to Court Order.
    FLORIDA,MAINE,MASSACHUSETTS,MICHIGAN(also election Days) MINNESOTA(also Holidays) New York,Rhode Island, South Dakota,Tennessee(except by Court Order) Texas,Virginia and West Virginia.

New Agency's- if you live in a state where Sunday service is not permitted,it is your obligation to include this information in your instuction sheet when forwarding work to out-of-state members.
    Regards,

I hadn't thought about there being a day of the week you wouldn't be permitted to serve someone. This is very helpful information. Since David posted this back in 2004 I will have to check to see if California has been added to the list since than.
    Michele

Re: No Sunday Service (court Papers)

David thinks for the information but you also for that Virginia will allow you to serve on a sunday under certain circumstances

No civil process shall be served on Sunday, except in cases of persons escaping out of custody, or where it is otherwise expressly provided by law

Christopher Herring is offline Private Investigator Forum Member

Member of International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)

I just ckecked with Florida and was told you could not serve at a person's residence on Sunday.