Thread: OKLAHOMA LAW: Bounty Hunter

Anthony Bridgestone is offline Professional Services Dept

International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)
    Founded in 1989
    [b]Out of state bounty hunter or bond agent must be accompanied by peace officer or licensed Oklahoma bond agent when seeking to apprehend bail jumper. Okl. Stat. § 1750.14.

ANTHONY BRIDGESTONE
    Professional Support Services

A licensed Private Investigator of thre state of Oklahoma is also allowed to do the work of a bounty hunter, as I understand it from the Lead investigator from CLEET.

Bounty Hunter

So Do You Have To Be Licensed In The State Of Oklahoma To Be A Bounty Hunter

Bounty hunters in OK

I spoke with a Bail Enforcement Agent today and he said you don't have to be licensed, but getting you CLEET phase 1-4 traing allows you to carry a gun which he says you will need. So no you do not have to be licensed. Hope this helps.

so how do you go work in the bailfield

I am trying to figure that out myself

Steven D Mahan - is offline *** Certified SPI
    Sr. Member: Private Investigators Forum

Professional Management Member of:
    Thank You Brian, Is Needing A Gun Permit A Requirement Or Sugesstion?

Sandr Karcher
    new memeber

How can i become a bail jumper in the state of oklahoma, interstead can you
    this sounds
    like a great field to be in, and willing to learn something new!

Wink Oklahoma

Quote Originally Posted by Sandra Karcher
    Sandr Karcher
    new memeber

How can i become a bail jumper in the state of oklahoma, interstead can you
    this sounds
    like a great field to be in, and willing to learn something new!

Hi Sandr, welcome aboard. Don't forget you have to read the threads to gain KNOWLEDGE. You want to be a Bail Jumper? In oklahoma? Looks like your in the wrong state- your state is Penna????
    Happy reading.

Cheryl Bliton

concealed carry

Would you have to be licensed or can you get a concealed carry permit? If I can carry a handgun legally, I wouldn't need to be licensed, correct? Thank you, Frank Haas.

Cool Oklahoma

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Haas
    Would you have to be licensed or can you get a concealed carry permit? If I can carry a handgun legally, I wouldn't need to be licensed, correct? Thank you, Frank Haas.

Hi Frank;

In Oklahoma you should take the Self Defense class for hand guns. After the class, you then send in you application to the Sheiff's dept first then they send it to the OSBI to check your background. Once they check you out they will either give you a gun permit or not. You have to be licensed for a gun, to carry legal in Oklahoma. And to get your PI license you have to go thru Cleet training.

Good luck.
    Cheryl Bliton
    Badge 10788

Everything always happens for a Reason

Re: Bounty hunters in OK

Quote Originally Posted by Brian A Pardon View Post
    I spoke with a Bail Enforcement Agent today and he said you don't have to be licensed, but getting you CLEET phase 1-4 traing allows you to carry a gun which he says you will need. So no you do not have to be licensed. Hope this helps.
    The phase 1-4 training is required to be licensed in Oklahoma. Each has a test that you must pass. 1&2 are together, 3 and 4 are each diffrent tests. You must be employed with an agency or be bonded and apply for an agency license when you apply for your combo licence.
    Combo $75
    Agency $200
    If you are self employed with no employees and armed you must have a $10000 bond.
    Hope this helps.
    http://www.ok.gov/cleet/

Re: OKLAHOMA LAW: Bounty Hunter

Will the 64 hour CLEET firearms training that a correctional officer receives take the place of the phase 1-4 if the bounty hunter was/is a DOC employee?
    I know it will for concealed carry class.

Cleet will give you an exemption for the firearms part (Phase 4). But if you want a combination license you will still have to go through 1-3. If you just want the PI part I think its just 3 and 4, but im not sure. I would get a combination it is cheaper in the long run and will give you something to fall back on if you have a slow season as a PI.

I came across this post in wanted to ad some correct information since there has been some wrong information given out on this.
    I have operated a private investigative and security service in Oklahoma since 2000 (when I was discharged from the Navy).
    The state of Oklahoma does not license nor do they regulate bounty hunting (aka fugitive recovery, bail surety and so, on). CLEET (Council on Law Enforcement Education and Training) is the state agency that regulates and licenses private investigators and security in the state of Oklahoma per title 59, section 1750.

Currently in Oklahoma CLEET has stated for the past five years that it is unlawful for any private investigator to operate as a bounty hunter under their private investigators license. Many PIs will carry under their armed PI license as part of bounty hunting. CLEET has stated that if you get caught, you not only run a risk of loosing your PI license but, could face criminal charges since PIs are not currently authorized to do bounty hunting under their state issues license.

DO NOT carry under your armed PI license while working as a bounty hunter or operate under your PI license while working as a bounty hunter. CLEET has already pulled two licenses in the past five years and charged the person for carrying a fire arm out side of the requirements for their PI license. It is not worth it.

As for the training for Private Investigators in Oklahoma;
    Unarmed PI = required to take Phase I, II & III and pass a state written exam.
    Armed PI = required to take Phase I, II, III & IV as well as past a MMPI and State written exam.
    Those who are current law enforcement or prior military (with in last five years) who have been honorably discharged can get a waiver for Phase IV only but, must take a one hour Phase IV legal block.

If you are not 100% sure or wish to clarify any of this info, you can call CLEET, ask for the Private Security Division or send them an email thru their website. CLEET is located in Ada, Oklahoma; they have a very large state training facility there.