Thread: TENNESSEE LAW: Bounty Hunter

Anthony Bridgestone is offline Professional Services Dept

International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)
    Founded in 1989
    [b]A bounty hunter cannot have criminal record, must notify local police of defendant's location, and present to the police a copy of the warrant, a copy of the bond, and evidence that bounty hunter has been hired by bond agent. Tenn. Code Ann. § 40-11-3.

ANTHONY BRIDGESTONE
    Professional Support Services

Joe Stiles is offline Licensed Bail Agent
    Director - Tennessee Association of Professional Bail Agents
    You have done an excellent job in posting various state recovery laws. I believe the correct cite for Tenn. is Tennessee Code Annotated 40-11-318. I only add this in case someone is trying to look up the hard copy. Your description of the law, however, is correct.
    JOE STILES
    Licensed Bail Agent (TN)
    Bail Fast Bonding
    http://www.geocities.com/snw39/bailfast.html
    865-521-7406

Originally posted by Joe Stiles
    Any person attempting to effect an arrest of a bail skip in Tennessee should be aware that there are two separate statutes governing bail arrest in Tennessee. TCA 40-11-133 governs the right of an in state bondsman when making an arrest of a bailee on bond with their company, while TCA 40-11-318 governs the arrest of a bailee by bondsmen from out of state or independent bail enforcement agents. Two bail agents from Knoxville were arrested two nights ago when they attempted to arrest a skip for a Georgia bailbonds company. They mistakenly relied on the wrong statute and were subsequently charged with several serious offenses. Although Tennessee is a commercial bail state and recoveries can be done here, there are several jurisdictions within the state that are hostile to bail enforcement agents. When attempting an arrest in this state, please notify us and we will be happy to provide you any information we have concerning the jurisdiction in which you think you will be working.

Bounty hunting - TN

What would be the steps in order to get a bounty hunter license in TN. How long does it take? any reply would be great im a newbie on the Forum? Thanks

Smile

Thanks for answering my questions it sounds like it could be risky if you get false infomation, before making an arrest. Thank You for you help I now have some infomation to help me make a decision about becoming a bounty hunter.

Cool

No license is needed in Tennessee. Having been in this business somewhat since the early 80's, it has been a pleasure for me...

If you have many questions pertaining to what I call a Fugitive Recovery Agent (aka Bounty Hunter), then check with some of your Bail Bond Agencies in your area for more detailed information...

Shannon Marble is offline Private Investigator Forum Member

Union Member of International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)
    In TN the police told me that when you find your skip to call them to go with you for your safety as well as correctly doing it.

The statement that no "license" is required is not exactly true. You must attend an eight training session and obtain a certificate of training to be legal in Tennessee. Refer to TCA 40-11-401 for the "Continuing Education Required" statute text. The sessions are given by the Tennessee Association of Professional Bail Agents and cannot exceed $240 in cost. You can download a registration form at their site and mark the box for Bail Enforcement Officer, plus you need to have a current background check which you must present at the time you register for the class.

Re: TENNESSEE LAW: Bounty Hunter

ok ive got a few questions about the lisence issue i just finnished a course from compass point investigations . Is that an adaquite course do i need to take another class . Also i have herd that you need a lisence in tennessee ,and also that you dont , If you do need one wher do i apply at any help would be gratefull

Cool Re: TENNESSEE LAW: Bounty Hunter

I just wanted to say thank you for posting this. It has been a great help in answering alot of questions. I am new to the Tennessee area and have found alot of answers here.

Are Bail Enforcement Agents allowed to carry firearms while on a recovery mission in the state, but as long as they are lisenced?

John Sanderson is offline Lifetime Member

Corporate Agency Member of:

Richy,

I have replied you your question in the NY BEA Licensing thread. Are you planning to move to Tennessee? If you're not, you won't find answers to your questions here, which are accurate for New York. The laws from state to state vary greatly. Something that is legal in TN may not be in NY. Actually, I believe NY has more regulations then most other states (based upon personal research).

Example: In Colorado, you do not need a license to operate in any area of investigations including Bail Enforcement and Security. In Maryland, you do not need a license as a Bail Enforcement Agent but you do need to be licensed to operate as a PI or Security Guard. Some states allow someone to obtain an all inclusive license whereas other states require you to obtain all individually.

I hope this helps.
    John Sanderson

Task Force Investigations
    Logistics Department

Sorry John. I'm just really exploring some states before becoming an Agent, thats all. I'm mainly VERY interested in being a Bail Fugitive Recovery Agent in California, but I thought reaching other states wouldn't hurt. Can't put my all my eggs in one basket, right? So yeah, in case if you were wondering.

Richy,

There's no need to apologize. I'll post another message in your intro which may be helpful.

Oh by the way, the reason why I asked this question:

Are Bail Enforcement Agents allowed to carry firearms while on a recovery mission but as long as they are lisenced?
    is because of this TN law right here Tenn. Code Ann. §39-17-1315.

But to find out that it means that I need a CCW Permit AND HAVE to be lisenced.

Could you copy and paste it here for me (the entire text)? I don't regularly locate laws for states I don't do business in, though I would be happy to look it over and interpret it for you, if you like.

Liz Mason - is offline Private Investigator Forum Member
    Sponsored by:
    Blog Entries

From Online Resources:
    Bounty Hunters are recognized under Tennessee law as the agents who take into custody fugitives that have skipped bail for a fee. Interestingly, it is one of the few states that actually refers to Fugitive Recovery Agents as “Bounty Hunters” in state law. In order for Bail Enforcement Agents to make an arrest in the state they must provide law enforcement in the area in which the arrest is taking place with a copy of the warrant, a copy of the bond, and credentials from a Tennessee bondsman stating that they are an agent working for the bondsman.

How to Become a Bounty Hunter in Tennessee

Becoming a Bounty Hunter in Tennessee requires eight hours of continuing education, given by the Tennessee Association of Professional Bail Agents. In order to take the class you must have a current background check proving that you are not a convicted felon. Once the course is completed one must find employment with a professional bondsman, of which there are many in the state. In order to secure employment, training or previous experience is recommended as bond agencies are unlikely to hire Fugitive Recovery Agents with no experience and little knowledge of effective and safe skip tracing techniques.

Tennessee Bounty Hunter Licenses and Requirements

There are no licensing requirements for Tennessee Bounty Hunters beyond the aforementioned eight hours of education. There is, however, the requirement that one cannot be a convicted felon. Regardless, training and education should be undertaken in order to facilitate contracts and ensure safe and informed practices that do not get you in trouble with the law and that you can successfully skip trace fugitives.

Joseph R Everson is offline Lifetime Member

Member of:

Thank you for posting this much needed info.
    Joseph R. Everson, Psy.D., Ph.D.
    Licensed PI Corporation (MS# 1272402)
    IPIU Badge# 2708
    Chief Investigator

So, the law states you have to be a "U.S. citizen" to be a bounty hunter in TN.
    Is that the case, or are permanent residents able to become one as well?

Heard different answers.

Might be moving to TN in the near future, so I'm hoping I'll be able to get involved.

Member of:

Tyler,
    Here is some info that I found on the TAPBA website. (https://www.tapba.org/bounty-hunters)

HOW TO BECOME A BOUNTY HUNTER

Meet the state requirements: have a record free of felony convictions; have a criminal background check performed on you by the sheriff of the county that you live in; and have fingerprint checks by the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) and the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation (TBI). All bounty hunters must take part in eight hours of education a year to work in Tennessee. According to state law, you must obtain this training from TAPBA.

Once you have completed the requirements, you may begin to work with a professional bail agent who offers jobs for bounty hunters.

I hope this helps!
    IPIU Badge# 2708
    Chief Investigator

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph R Everson View Post
    Tyler,
    Here is some info that I found on the TAPBA website. (https://www.tapba.org/bounty-hunters)

HOW TO BECOME A BOUNTY HUNTER

Meet the state requirements: have a record free of felony convictions; have a criminal background check performed on you by the sheriff of the county that you live in; and have fingerprint checks by the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) and the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation (TBI). All bounty hunters must take part in eight hours of education a year to work in Tennessee. According to state law, you must obtain this training from TAPBA.

Once you have completed the requirements, you may begin to work with a professional bail agent who offers jobs for bounty hunters.

I hope this helps!

The thing that gets me is from Tenn. Code Ann. § 40-11-318

"(f) Any resident of this state who is a United States citizen and who intends to perform the functions of a bounty hunter as defined in subsection (a), shall submit to a criminal history background check as provided by § 38-6-109 at the sheriff's office at the county of the person's permanent residence. The person requesting the criminal history background check shall be responsible for any fees associated with the background check. The criminal background check shall include fingerprint checks against state and federal criminal records maintained by the Tennessee bureau of investigation (TBI) and the federal bureau of investigation (FBI). The sheriff's office shall maintain files in their respective counties on bounty hunters requesting a criminal history background check. A sheriff may charge a fee of not more than two hundred dollars ($200) for each background check performed pursuant to this subsection (f) and in addition to the background check fees payable to the TBI, the FBI and any designated vendor."

I know some places have language like that but still allow it for permanent residents, since they can do most things citizens can do, other than vote and a few other things.

Tried getting into contact with the sheriff from the area I'd likely be moving to, but I'm still waiting on a response.

Hopefully there won't be any issues, or that'd be a three year wait for citizenship, haha.

Member of:

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Burgoyne View Post
    The thing that gets me is from Tenn. Code Ann. § 40-11-318

"(f) Any resident of this state who is a United States citizen and who intends to perform the functions of a bounty hunter as defined in subsection (a), shall submit to a criminal history background check as provided by § 38-6-109 at the sheriff's office at the county of the person's permanent residence. The person requesting the criminal history background check shall be responsible for any fees associated with the background check. The criminal background check shall include fingerprint checks against state and federal criminal records maintained by the Tennessee bureau of investigation (TBI) and the federal bureau of investigation (FBI). The sheriff's office shall maintain files in their respective counties on bounty hunters requesting a criminal history background check. A sheriff may charge a fee of not more than two hundred dollars ($200) for each background check performed pursuant to this subsection (f) and in addition to the background check fees payable to the TBI, the FBI and any designated vendor."

I know some places have language like that but still allow it for permanent residents, since they can do most things citizens can do, other than vote and a few other things.

Tried getting into contact with the sheriff from the area I'd likely be moving to, but I'm still waiting on a response.

Hopefully there won't be any issues, or that'd be a three year wait for citizenship, haha.
    Tyler,
    I don't think the fact that you are a permanent resident really matters here in TN, as long as your TBI, FBI, and Sheriff background comes back clean. There is no license requirement in this state anyway. Other than the state training. I think, you will be okay! Of course, this is just my personal opinion only!!!! Contact the: Tennessee Association of Bail Agents.
    IPIU Badge# 2708
    Chief Investigator