Thread: COLORADO LAW: Bail Recovery Agent

Anthony Bridgestone is offline Professional Services Dept

International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)
    Founded in 1989
    Source:
    http://www.dora.state.co.us/insurance/consumer/bail.htm

State of Colorado

Division of Insurance

House Bill 98-1224, Concerning Bail Recovery, became effective May 27, 1998. The law prohibits a bail bonding agent from hiring, contracting with, or paying compensation to an individual for bail recovery services unless certain requirements are met. The requirements are listed below:
    · After January 1, 1999, applicants for bail bonding agent licensure shall be trained in bail recovery practices (not to exceed 16 hrs) according to the standards established by the Peace Officer Standards and Training Board (P.O.S.T.). Currently licensed bail bonding agents are not required to complete this training.

· After October 1, 1998, no bail bonding agent may employ a person for bail recovery services who has been convicted of, pled guilty or nolo contendere to, any felony within the last 15 years.

· Any person currently providing bail recovery services must submit a fingerprint card to the Colorado Bureau of Investigations (CBI) before July 1, 1998, in order to be assured of receiving clearance from the CBI by October 1, 1998.

· Any bail bonding agent employing a person for bail recovery services after October 1, 1998, must receive prior verification from the CBI that the individual fulfills the qualifications.

· Persons providing bail recovery services must obtain a certificate of completion of the P.O.S.T. bail recovery practice course for employment after January 1, 1999.

· The Division of Insurance shall deny, suspend or revoke a bail bonding agent’s license if they employ an unqualified individual for bail recovery services.

· The bill also allows the District Attorney to contract out for the collection of forfeited recognizances and pay for such services out of the money collected.

Persons providing bail recovery services must be fingerprinted at their local police or sheriffs department, on that department’s finger print card. The fee for this service is $38.00. A Cashier’s Check or Money Order will be accepted and must be payable to Colorado Bureau of Investigations. The fingerprint card and fee will then be submitted to the CBI and forwarded to the FBI for processing. The response will be returned to the department that took the prints.

A Bail Bonding Agent shall contact the CBI prior to hiring an individual for bail recovery services to determine if they are qualified under House Bill 1224. Contact the CBI for procedures at 303-239-4680.

State of Colorado
    Division of Insurance
    REQUIREMENTS FOR BAIL BONDING AGENT PRELICENSURE EDUCATION

Regarding Bail Bonds - at least eight clock hours:

All applicants for a resident bail bonding agent license must satisfactorily complete these hours of training prior to taking the Promissor examination pursuant to §12-7-102.5(1)(a), C.R.S.:

• Two of which shall concern the criminal court system;
    • Two of which shall concern bail bond industry ethics; and
    • Four of which shall concern the laws relating to bail bonds.

Means of satisfying the required training:

• Completion of an approved prelicensure education program operated by a qualified foreign or domestic
    Insurance company, which complies with the 8 hours requirement
    • Completion of prelicensure education offered by approved providers and meeting the 8 hours requirement
    If entering Colorado on a letter of clearance, satisfaction of a prelicensure education course in the former state of
    licensure.

Regarding Bail Recovery – Not to exceed sixteen clock hours:

All applicants for a resident bail bonding agent license also must satisfactorily complete the following hours of training prior to taking the Promissor examination pursuant to §12-7-102.5(1)(b), C.R.S.:

• Introduction to Bail Recovery – 3 hours
    • Principals of Criminal Culpability – 3 hours
    • Colorado Criminal Code – 3 hours
    • Firearms and Weapons – 3 hours
    • Seizure – Entry – 2 hours

The Certification of Completion Forms for Bail Bonding and Bail Recovery must be submitted with the application for licensure.

The date of completion of the Bail Bond Prelicensure Education Course and Bail Recovery Training Course must be prior to the Promissor test date in order for the test scores to be valid.

The licensee must retain for five years, copies of both certificates of completion issued by the school or program so that they may be produced upon request from the Division of Insurance.

Any applicant from a state in which Prelicensure Education is required will be exempt from Prelicensure Education in Colorado. If no Prelicensure Education is required in the applicant’s state of residence, and the applicant has been licensed less than one year, then the applicant must satisfy the Colorado Prelicensure Education requirements. Those applicants licensed more than one year is exempt from the Prelicensure Education requirements.

State of Colorado
    Division of Insurance
    BAIL BONDING APPROVED COURSES AND PROGRAMS FOR PRELICENSURE EDUCATION
    BAIL BOND COURSE PROVIDERS

American Institute of Bail and Bail Enforcement
    1470 S. Federal Blvd.
    Denver, Colorado 80219
    Mailing: P O Box 19306
    303 232-8800

Professional Bail Agents of Colorado
    1350 Chambers Road #301
    Aurora, CO 80011
    720-364-8201

Remy Agency
    P.O. Box 1049
    Arvada, CO 80001
    303-423-9982

Rocky Mountain Academy of Bail Bonding
    P.O. Box 27807
    Denver, CO 80227-0807
    720-226-5115

State of Colorado
    Division of Insurance
    BAIL RECOVERY TRAINING COURSES AND PROGRAMS REGISTERED FOR PRELICENSURE EDUCATION
    BAIL RECOVERY COURSE PROVIDERS

American Institute of Bail and Bail Enforcement
    441 Wadsworth Blvd., Suite 215
    Lakewood, Co 80226
    303 232-8800
    6/9/03

Bail Enforcement Network
    1000 N. Waco
    Wichita, KS 67203-3915
    ATTN: ERIC KING
    1-800-957-6283
    5/22/03

Blackshear Investigations
    513 Main St.
    Walsenburg, CO 81089
    ATTN: James O.H. Blackshear, Jr.
    719-738-1661
    5/24/05

Bobby Brown Bail & Recovery School
    506 S. Nevada Avenue
    Colorado Springs, CO 80903
    ATTN: Bobby Brown
    719-390-7031
    09/16/05

Colorado Bail & Fugitive Enforcement
    2829 North Avenue, Suite 105
    Grand Junction, CO 81501
    970-241-6664
    11/15/02

Colorado Institute of Bail Enforcement
    P.O. Box 350192
    Westminster, CO 80031
    720-277-7020
    8/19/04

Colorado Investigative Service
    5361 S. Delaware
    Littleton, CO 80120
    303-703-6937
    2/23/04

Colorado Legal Support Services
    315 West 8th Street, suite A
    Pueblo, CO 81003
    719-778-2790
    8/19/04

Fastrac Enterprises
    P.O. Box 305
    Alamosa, CO 81101
    719-580-0294
    5/18/01

Front Range Academy of Bail and Recovery
    Tracy Wysocki
    P.O. Box 16016
    Colorado Springs, CO 80935
    719-390-7500

Fugitive Recovery, Investigations
    5913 Ensemble Heights
    Colorado Springs, CO 80922
    719-321-0342
    11/25/03

The MacGregor Agency
    P.O. Box 4316
    Breckenridge, CO 80424
    970-389-3737
    08/15/05

Professional Bail Agents of Colorado
    1350 Chambers Road #301
    Aurora, CO 80011
    720-364-8201
    1/7/99

Remy Agency
    P.O. Box 1049
    Arvada, CO 80001
    303-423-9982

Rocky Mountain Academy of Bail Bonding
    P.O. Box 27807
    Denver, CO 80227-0807
    720-226-5115
    8/23/99

Sam Geanetta & Associates
    P.O. Box 61
    Beuhlah, CO 81023
    719-240-5454

Bond agents must take class in bail recovery, and a bond agent who wants to hire anyone other than another licensed bail agent to perform recovery work must submit to the state a certificate showing that such person has received training from a bail recovery training program, and submit his fingerprints (the person cannot have a criminal record).

The bail agent then cannot hire this person until the state completes a background check based on the fingerprints. Col. Rev. Stat. § 12-7-105.5.

Anthony Bridgestone is offline Professional Services Dept

Founded in 1989

so once you take the class are you then licensed or that a different process in Colorado?

Hello Jason I read your post i was just wondering have you found out were to go to take classes .

Yes I found all the information on the Colorado state website at http://www.dora.state.co.us/insurance/consumer/bail.htm

here is partial list of the requirements for Colorado:

==============================================

REQUIREMENTS FOR BAIL BONDING AGENT PRELICENSURE EDUCATION

Regarding Bail Bonds - at least eight clock hours:
    All applicants for a resident bail bonding agent license must satisfactorily complete these hours of training before taking
    the Promissor examination pursuant to §12-7-102.5(1)(a), C.R.S.:
    • Two of which shall concern the criminal court system;
    • Two of which shall concern bail bond industry ethics; and
    • Four of which shall concern the laws relating to bail bonds.
    Means of satisfying the required training:
    • Completion of an approved prelicensure education program operated by a qualified foreign or domestic Insurance
    company, which complies with the 8 hours requirement
    • Completion of prelicensure education offered by approved providers and meeting the 8 hours requirement. If
    entering Colorado on a letter of clearance, satisfaction of a prelicensure education course in the former state of
    licensure.

Regarding Bail Recovery – Not to exceed sixteen clock hours:
    All applicants for a resident bail bonding agent license also must satisfactorily complete the following hours of training
    before taking the Promissor examination pursuant to §12-7-102.5(1)(b), C.R.S.:
    • Introduction to Bail Recovery – 3 hours
    • Principals of Criminal Culpability – 3 hours
    • Colorado Criminal Code – 3 hours
    • Firearms and Weapons – 3 hours
    • Seizure – Entry – 2 hours
    The Certification of Completion Forms for Bail Bonding and Bail Recovery must be submitted with the application for
    licensure.
    The date of completion of the Bail Bond Prelicensure Education Course and Bail Recovery Training Course must be
    before the Promissor test date in order for the test scores to be valid.
    The licensee must retain for five years, copies of both certificates of completion issued by the school or program so that
    they may be produced upon request from the Division of Insurance.
    Any applicant from a state in which Prelicensure Education is required will be exempt from Prelicensure Education in
    Colorado. If no Prelicensure Education is required in the applicant’s state of residence, and the applicant has been
    licensed less than one year, then the applicant must satisfy the Colorado Prelicensure Education requirements. Those
    applicants licensed more than one year is exempt from the Prelicensure Education requirements.

=============================================

Again the rest can be found at the above link. This only applies to Colorado. Hope that helps

Thanks for the information

I went to American Institute of Bail and Bail Enforcement.So I was asking is there any jobs out there in Denver,I finish school,if so can you let me know.Anthony Bridgestone.
    Pat

Darrell, your welcome. that's why we all are here. To help each other out.

Patrick, I have just started down this career path myself and so have no idea what the job market for this specialty looks likeright now. Are there any Colorado people who can answer this?

Job openings are not posted in the public forums. They will be posted in the Level 4 IPIU union member forums.

I am a former Marine and I am a former Sheriff's Deputy in Colorado. Will my POST certificate as well as all my other training i.e. Academy qualify to become a bail recovery agent?

ryan,

your POSt cert does help but you will still need to take the state exam to be certified for bail recovery in Colorado. feel free to email me if you need more help.

Ok thanks Jason. Is there any other classes I need to take or can I just take the exam. If so who dod I need to contact to take the exam.

nope the post certification SHOULD cover the 16 hours required class time. as far as the exam it is run by the state. here is a link to the site: http://www.dora.state.co.us/insurance/consumer/bail.htm

good luck and let me know if you need anymore help.

This is very good to know,I have some personal interest in this field.Thanks for the information.

Just a comment for those of you who may be interested in bail enforcement in Colorado, American Institute of Bail and Bail Enforcement. Its the best bang for your buck that I could find. They also offer state certificatyion.
    RYAN CLARK
    Private Investigator (CO)

Colorado, USA

What is the rough cost for taking this course?

Does anyone have a good contact for a bail and recovery course in southern Colorado.
    The list contained a wrong number and I can't get a hold of anyone

Shawn go to the American Institue of Bail and Bail Enforcement, they have a web page, and they can set you up on the course, also the cost is reasonable, and they are a great group of people to talk to.

Good Luck, and let us know if you need anything!

Ryan, Thanks for the reply and are you currently doing any bail recovery?

I completed a 40-hour course in Fugitive Recovery (Bail Enforcement) in California in 2002. Didn't have much of an opportunity to use the training because if you're not already associated with an existing "Team" of B.E. agents, it's a hard nut to crack, as it's really important to hook up with somebody you can feel comfortable and confident with. Fugitive Recovery is something to don't want to venture into as a "loner."

Updated provider list

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Ablan
    Does anyone have a good contact for a bail and recovery course in southern Colorado.
    Shawn, the division of insurance has updated their page with new course providers recently registered. Follow this link and you should find someone in southern Colorado.

http://www.asisvcs.com/publications/pdf/120633.pdf

I know several of these people and the phone number for one of them in Colorado Springs has now been corrected. It was the area code that was incorrect.

Not sure if I can say that I am on the list as well but I figure if someone else can promote one agency then maybe I can at least say I am a registered provider.

Kathy

post certification

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Phelps
    nope the post certification SHOULD cover the 16 hours required class time. as far as the exam it is run by the state. here is a link to the site: http://www.dora.state.co.us/insurance/consumer/bail.htm
    I realize that this posting is almost a year old, but for clarification, being post certified as a peace officer does not certify you for bail enforcement. The state requires that you take a specific 16 hour course from a registered provider that is geared to the laws regarding bail enforcement.

Also, the bail enforcement exam is NOT run by the state in Colorado. The course provider gives you an exam upon completion of the course and if you pass they give you a certificate of completion. That along with your cleared fingerprint submission to CBI and FBI will allow you to do bail enforcement. When you submit your fingerprints mark the card that they are being submitted for bail enforcement.

Before a bondsperson can legally hire you, you must provide them with a copy of this certification and they must call CBI to confirm that you have had no felony convictions for the last 15 years. They are also required to give you an authorization to locate and arrest the person they are hiring you to go after. We get our bondsmen to give us a blanket authorization saying we have the authority to arrest any person they give us the file on. This saves a tremendous amount of paperwork since we have made hundreds of arrests for one or two bondsmen. I'm not bragging, just stating the facts.

As to making money, it is very hard to break into this business unless you are highly trained and/or have someone who is well known in bail enforcement to intern and train you. There are many bondspersons that will hire newbies and pay them very little for their services but they don't last long. Either they don't make the required number of arrests or they get tired of working 24/7 for a couple of hundred a week and using that to pay their own expenses.

Unfortunately, some bondsmen do not follow the letter of the law and can lose their license if they get reported often enough. When we approach a new one for work, we always make sure we tell them the law and they follow it or we won't work for them.

I guess my best advice would be to start part-time because even in the best of times the work is sporadic. Get all of the training you can from real professionals and keep your nose clean. Know your legal and personal boundaries and always be prepared for trouble. Probably 95% of the arrests we make are without incident, but it's that 5% that can get you killed. There are a lot of newbies out there that are not properly trained (the state required course only teaches you the law, not how to do the job) and they are a danger to themselves and to those of us who are professionals. Don't base this work on what you see on TV. For the most part it is for Hollywood and not how the real BEA act.

Kathy

the best course

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Ablan
    The aforementioned American Institute of Bail and Bail Enforcement is definateley the best bang for your buck. A few of us who took this course found it to be quite uncumbering especially with the video's. Feel free to e-mail me if you have any questions that me or my associates can help you with, we are mostly located in Pueblo. Sincerely Robert Kimble,BEA.

John Slevin - is offline Private Investigator
    Agency Owner

Member of International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)

Re: COLORADO LAW: Bail Recovery Agent

I agree. I took the course from American Institute of Bail and Bail Enforcement and it was very informative and they were not bank breaking in cost. Highly recommend this school, they also offer a course in Bail Bondsman. They are accredited in POST so you will be in compliance with Colorado Law.

Charles Blount - is offline Licensed Private Investigator
    Private Investigator Forum Member

Union Member of International Private Investigators Union

Wink Re: COLORADO LAW: Bail Recovery Agent

You know, it's so very true with regards to how each State differs in it's law. In retrospect, I'll say about 20 years ago, Indianapolis, Indiana had some very interesting laws but they were serious in their procedures when it came to becoming a Bails Bondsmen or Bails Bondsmens assistants. What I like is the fact that if you wanted to become; and there are various terminologies, a skip-tracer, bondsmen assistant, runner you name it. You had to go through some of the same steps as if you were starting a business (application-wise) only to a point. Take the exact text the Bondsmen takes. The only thing you as a runner/bondsmen assistant could not do is that of excuting the bond! I like and remember some of the questions and answers to them. Ie. if a bond was set for $2,500.00 how much would you have to pay to have this person releast and if the said person failed to appear in court and a warrant was issued. what would be the face value of the bond after 30.60. 90, 110 days and what would happen procedure be for the bondsmen if he could not apprehend the felon. Anyway, it use to be that after 30 days 10% of the face value of the bond would go up and another 30 days would constitute I beleive 12 or 20% of the face value of the bond would increase, and increase to a point where the bondsmen would have result to some very serious matters. Remember they do not want to give up their ownership/ property either and esp if they have to give up their license to the commissioner of the state. Insurance Commissioner that is. Well that's enough of that. When living in Indiana working as a caseworker, I also worked as a Bondsmen Assistant (Runner) for several years. I think we had to renew our license/permits once every four years like with our handgun license also. But I can tell you this guys, I loved it! Everything about the business I enjoyed.

one simple question ? if I took the state test for bails bond in new jersey but I haven't summit my paper work in. Can I used that same test to apply for bailsbond in colorado or I have to take a hole new test in colorado.

Liz Mason - is offline Private Investigator Forum Member
    Sponsored by:
    Blog Entries

From Online Resource:
    Notably, Duane Chapman, perhaps the most well known American Bounty Hunter who stars in the TV show Dog the Bounty Hunter, got his start in Colorado and the state still sees high demand for educated Bail Recovery Agents. Bounty Hunters in Colorado are allowed to pursue and arrest fugitives but in order to do so they must obtain specific licenses, which are governed by a strict set of rules. Specifically, they must be a licensed insurance producer appointed to represent an insurance company or a licensed cash bail agent.

How to Become a Bounty Hunter in Colorado

To become a Bail Recovery Agent or Bounty Hunter in Colorado one cannot be a felon. You must first submit to fingerprints and a background check, complete a statement that the information you have provided is true and complete, and complete a training course in bail fugitive apprehension, which typically takes 16 hours. This ensures that not only are Bounty Hunters in Colorado well versed in the legal requirements of the state, but also that they carry out safe and effective skip tracing and fugitive apprehension.

Colorado Bounty Hunter Licenses and Requirements

Licensing in Colorado is carried out through the Insurance Division of the Department of Regulatory Agencies (DORA). In order to become licensed proof that the individual is not a felon, subject to fingerprinting and a background check, must be provided along with a full face photograph and other identifying information. Proof of a bail recovery education course must also be provided and a yearly report of bond recovery activity is necessary.

A completed program will give Agents the training and education to work in Bounty Hunting or any field closely related. Additionally Colorado Bounty Hunting agents will be assigned the highest of paying fugitive recovery jobs with a Criminal Justice background.

Joseph R Everson is offline Lifetime Member

Member of:

Are the requirements in this post still current and up to date?
    Joseph R. Everson, Psy.D., Ph.D.
    Licensed PI Corporation (MS# 1272402)
    IPIU Badge# 2708
    Chief Investigator