Thread: NEW HAMPSHIRE LAW: Bail Recovery Agent

Anthony Bridgestone is offline Professional Services Dept

International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)
    Founded in 1989
    [b]Recovery agents must be trained and certified through a program approved by the Professional Bail Agents of the United States, and register with the Secretary of State (who will issue proof of registration).

Bail agency must have at least $300,000 in liability insurance for recovery activities, and recovery agents acting as independent contractors must have liability insurance of at least $300,000.

Bail agents and recovery agents must inform the chief of police of the relevant municipality when searching for bail jumper. N.H. Stat. § 597:7-b.

ANTHONY BRIDGESTONE
    Professional Support Services

Brian M Bluestein is offline Private Investigator Forum Member

Member of:

Smile

How do i go about doing this as a trainnee?How do i get the trainning and find how much his will cost me if there is a fee?

Thumbs up Training

Where can I go to recieve this training ? Or who offers this kind of training in the state of NH. Thanks

Captain Kirk and Brian:

2 books written by Bob Burton and available through IPIU that I have are:
    1. American Bounty Hunter
    2. Bail Enforcer The Advanced Bounty Hunter

These books offer a valuable insight into the field of Bounty Hunting. But perhaps the best information I have found on Bounty Hunting comes from our very own Sandy Wright and Harry Solomon who are both licensed Bounty Hunters. Their experiences and tips are located throughout the forums. I know I have gained much from their wisdom and experiences.

There is a new Bounty Hunter Advance Course (which comprises of several IPIU Books and Tapes, and includes the above books.

For more info, send an email to bountyforum@ipiu.org .

Member of:

Cool

I would be interested in doing this kind of work,and wouldn't mind doing it full time but right now i would love the opertunity to start doing this kind of work part time for now.How do i get started and what do ii need to do as far as a lisence if i need one at all.

in response to you brian

Hello if you have read my bio you will know that I am the owner of a fugitive recovery company here in new-york.

First a point the two books from burton have a lot of things that you will never get into.I have nothing against bob but the claim that he has had over 2000 arrests is quite over inflated.

Now here is the other problem every body has a "trainning program available ".Are those good I really dont think so bob books are the so called bible of bounty hunter .I will come out and tell you that I have delt with bob and all I came across in my personal opinion is that to his credit he has being able to get on the wagon first and is cashing in by his so called trainning seminars.

As far as doing this full time well trust me only a very few are able to work at it full time .Very realesticly 97% of the peoples that do need bail will do go back and face the judge only about 3% will run and require someone like me to go get them.Mind you when you ad the numbers this can make for a fairly good amount of cash.But I do other thing also.

Also please dont waiste your time printing a buissness card in the style that bob tells everybody to do I do receive some on a regular basis from peoples trying to introduce themselfs to me ,please be a little more creative I am not triyng to tell you not to try to get in but if you are really interested the first thing I would do is first start by studying the laws pertainning to bail recovery in your state .

I hope that I can be of help.

Have a great day.

Bounty Hunting As A Full Time Profession

Bounty hunting can and is a lucrative business, if you know what you are doing. As Harry said, know the laws that pertain to your state first of all. "Ignorance of the law is no excuse" has been quoted for a very good reason. There is no room for error in the bounty hunting field. Also, if you have cause to hunt in other states, you [u]must[u] know what their laws are as well.

Bounty hunting is, in my opinion, being a good PI first, knowing who you are up against and having a game plan for his/her capture. There is no need for [u]cowboys[u] in this profession. The gun-ho cowboy that thinks all there is to the job is kick in doors and arrest people is in for a rude awakening and, probably will get himself/herself, and/or, someone else hurt or worse.

I agree with Harry, have other interest like IPIU, Private Investigations, etc. to supplement you best assets (which is knowledge and skills). Become diversified in your skills if you can. They all go hand in hand as in private investigations, fugitive recovery and process servers, to mention a few. Knowlege and skills, (can't beat the combination), to become good at any or all of the three.

Some Bail Bond Companies have a Recovery Unit as part of their corporation. Some hire independent bounty hunters for their fugitive recoveries. And, in my case, I get a larger percentage of the bonds I write because I do my own hunting. (No matter how good a bondsman might think a bond is, it is like Harry stated, about 3-5% of bonds are sent to recovery because the defendant didn't go to court.)

The training you receive through IPIU is priceless. There is a wealth of knowledge in each of the topics posted. I have acquired information and knowledge that I would not have obtained elsewhere. You know the old saying, "two heads are better than one", well we have 1,000+ heads putting there knowledge together, it's amazing what is on here.

Dream a dream then make it a reality. Have fun and be safe!
    Sandy Wright

Books

Jim your opinion of the books please. Sandy yours? Would the Local library be a good place to find books on state law? Or is it a better idea to hold off until I am placed with an agency. And maybe check out what a comunitee college has to offer. Do you recomend the the law enforcement coarses?Your thoughts please.

David Copeland is offline Administrator
    Private Investigators Forum

Sponsored by:

Re: Books

Originally posted by M. Kirk Iob
    Would the Local library be a good place to find books on state law?
    As a primer, yes.

As a course that is current, no. (It's like a new attorney spending weeks pouring over a library of old laws, which is "okay" but not very current).

That's why IPIU has a collection of the most current books in the advanced library for Bounty Hunters.

Educate yourself first, and then approach the bondsmen or hunters that may train you on the job. That's why IPIU sends out their training manual to save 1000 questions the first week on the job.

David

Member of:

Cool is there a place that i can start as a bounty hunter here in NH

I was wondering if there was a place that i could go to,to see if i could get into that type of work as a trainnie here in NH.If so how would i should i go about it(1st step).Alot of place already have there own people they use and it's hard for some one like my self to get started,any suggestions?

David Copeland is offline Administrator
    Private Investigators Forum

Sponsored by:

Re: is there a place that i can start as a bounty hunter here in NH

Originally posted by Brian Bluestein
    I was wondering if there was a place that i could go to,to see if i could get into that type of work as a trainnie here in NH.If so how would i should i go about it(1st step).Alot of place already have there own people they use and it's hard for some one like my self to get started,any suggestions?
    I'm not sure how else to make it clear, but I will repost it again:

"Educate yourself first, and then approach the bondsmen or hunters that may train you on the job.

That's why IPIU sends out their training manual to save 1000 questions the first week on the job.
    So, if you wish to get into Bounty Hunting, the approach should be the same as getting into private investigation.

1) Academic Learning;

2) Get an introduction from a third party to bondsmen and hunters;

3) Start part time.

If you just jump to Number 2 without an introduction, you'll get more doors slammed in your face than you can believe. In any business like this . . . it's who you know, and what you already know about the job (before hand) that will get you started.

If you want access to the new Bounty Hunters Forum, send an email to bounty@ipiu.org for the email application. Although you've had many questions answered in this Licensing Topic, the real place for all of your answers will be in the other forum.

David

The two books that I mentioned by Bob Burton were very helpful to me. The first book, Bounty Hunter is a good start. Harry may get a kick out of this, but the guy who wrote the forward is said to have over 10,000 arrests! The chapters contained in this book are:
    1. Hunters Defined
    2. Whose Authority?
    3. Virgin Territory
    4. Trade Tools
    5. Skip Tracing
    6. Contacts: An in
    7. The Pick Up
    8. Bribes
    9. Prisoner Transport
    10. Bail Arrest Laws
    11. Glossary

The second book Bail Enforcer: The Advanced Bounty Hunter goes into greater detail than the first. The chapters are:
    1. What's in a Name?
    2. On Clothing
    3. Some Thoughts for the Beginner
    4. The Arrest Contract
    5. The Basics
    6. Looking for Judas
    7. Locating the Fugative
    8. Surveillance
    9. The Arrest
    10. On Weapons
    11. "Is he in the system"
    12. On Contracts
    13. Your Arrest (and How to Avoid It)
    14. National Association of Bail Enforcement Agents

The book also contains six appendixes. They are:
    1. The Bondsman's Right to Arrest
    2. The Hunters and the Hunted: Rights and Liabilities of Bail Bondsmen
    3. Liability of Bail Bondsmen under Section 1983
    4. Forms
    5. Glossary of Bail Terms
    6. Additional Reading

The books were good for me because they offered my first indepth look into the business of Bounty Hunting.

By the way, the law that Anthony quoted above is still current. The following is taken from The current New Hampshire statutes.

CHAPTER 597
    BAIL AND RECOGNIZANCES
    General Provisions
    Section 597:7-b

597:7-b Bail Agents and Recovery Agents; Certification and Registration; Notification to Local Law Enforcement Required. - I. In this section:
    (a) "Bail agent" means any person appointed by an insurer by power of attorney to execute or countersign bail bonds for the insurer in connection with judicial proceedings and who receives a premium.

(b) "Recovery agent" means a person who meets the requirements of paragraph II of this section and who is offered or given any compensation by a bail agent or surety in exchange for assisting the bail agent or surety in apprehending or surrendering any defendant, or keeping the defendant under necessary surveillance.

II. Any person who operates as a recovery agent in this state, excluding licensed private detectives, shall be trained and certified through a program approved by the Professional Bail Agents of the United States and shall register annually with the secretary of state. The secretary of state shall issue to each registered recovery agent proof of such registration. Effective July 1, 2000, each bail agency operating in this state shall annually provide to the secretary of state proof of liability insurance coverage in the amount of $300,000 for bail recovery activities of the agency's bail agents and bail recovery agents. This proof of insurance coverage shall be provided before the agency's bail agents are licensed or relicensed, and before the agency's bail recovery agents are registered or reregistered. Bail recovery agents acting as independent contractors shall provide proof of liability insurance coverage in the amount of $300,000 to the secretary of state before registration or reregistration. Any person who operates as a recovery agent in this state without meeting such certification, insurance, and registration requirements shall be guilty of a class A misdemeanor.

III. A bail agent or recovery agent searching for a person who has violated conditions of release shall notify a municipality's chief law enforcement officer if the search is to be conducted in the municipality's jurisdiction. A bail agent or recovery agent who violates the provisions of this paragraph shall be guilty of a class A misdemeanor.

Cool

I am going through the Bail Enforcement Class for NH in Feb. If you are looking to do BEA work in the state of NH, you must take the course that the state of New Hampshire accepts. They only accept the certificate from one school and its $425. Then you need the aformentioned insurance policy. After that you need to get work from one of the two Bail Bondsmen in NH. Good luck they both already have contracts with the people who teach the class. Your only hope for making real money doing BEA is in CT. However CT laws are a bit more strict.

Mark Buda - is offline Licensed Private Investigator

Member of the Private Investigators Forum

More on NH BEA

I am quite sure that NH licensed PI's can also do BEA work also.

To get a NH class check out http://www.beagent.com

mark

Mark Buda - is offline Licensed Private Investigator

Member of the Private Investigators Forum

Library / Online

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Kirk Iob
    Jim your opinion of the books please. Sandy yours? Would the Local library be a good place to find books on state law? Or is it a better idea to hold off until I am placed with an agency. And maybe check out what a comunitee college has to offer. Do you recomend the the law enforcement coarses?Your thoughts please.
    Many of the libraries will contain up to date RSA's that will provide you with the exact regulations. You can also get them online.

The library also contains workers who can help you traverse all of the paper. Do nbot be afraid to ask for help!

mark

Liz Mason - is offline Private Investigator Forum Member
    Sponsored by:
    Blog Entries

Re: NEW HAMPSHIRE LAW: Bail Recovery Agent

From Internet Resource:
    New Hampshire recognizes Bounty Hunting as a profession and has legislation directly pertaining to Recovery Agents, as they are known in the state. Notably, “recovery may be made in the name of the state” in New Hampshire. This means that Bounty Hunters can act in the name of the state as opposed to other states where it is strictly expressed that Fugitive Recovery Agents be in no way affiliated with the state.

How to Become a Bounty Hunter in New Hampshire

Becoming a Bounty Hunter in New Hampshire requires training, certification, and registration. Specifically, one must receive training that is approved by the Professional Bail Agents of the United States, a national organization of bail bond professionals. This usually includes training in law, safe fugitive recovery techniques, and ethics, among other things. Then, you must find employment with a recovery agent to gain experience before soliciting contracts from bond companies. The reason for this is that bond companies usually only want to hire Bounty Hunters with proven track records to ensure that their bonds are recovered in time. However with training, experience, and time, it is possible to learn how to skip trace effectively and become a Bounty Hunter in New Hampshire.

New Hampshire Bounty Hunter Licenses and Requirements

Beyond receiving training as noted above, Fugitive Recovery Agents must register with the New Hampshire Secretary of State. The bond company that you work for must also have liability insurance up to $300,000. If any of these requirements is not met, the Recovery Agent can be charged with a misdemeanor.